Anybody know why?
Wondering

Warrensburg, MO

#2 Oct 13, 2011
Was he really fired?
what up now

Jefferson City, MO

#3 Oct 13, 2011
well that is what i heard. but i am not for sure just seeing if anybody else has heard
tex

Rolla, MO

#4 Oct 13, 2011
what high school
Wondering

Warrensburg, MO

#5 Oct 13, 2011
Newburg.
ohyeah

Waynesville, MO

#6 Oct 14, 2011
He is on "administrative leave" at the moment. Something about a lawsuit with the school district.
what up now

Jefferson City, MO

#7 Oct 14, 2011
i wonder what kind of lawsuit?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#8 Oct 14, 2011
They have high schools in Rolla? He||, I didn't figure anyone in Missouri was smart enough to make it that far.
samantha crum

United States

#9 Oct 14, 2011
Well guffey is an amazing person.without him I never would of graduated,I would of dropped out.he showed me my potential and told me everyday I could do it.and for that I'm truely grateful!! I can't imagine why there would be a lawsuit against him!! Good luck guffey and thanks for all you and your wife did for me!!
Seniors 2012

Columbia, MO

#10 Oct 14, 2011
Steve Guffey has not been fired. The final decision will be made next week at the School Board meeting. We have been outside with over one hundred students and several teachers throughout the day today not "protesting" but showing our support for Mr. Guffey. The students and faculty are just as in the dark as everyone else is right now. But it would be a major loss to the school district to be without Mr. Guffey. BUT this will all be in the Rolla Daily News within the next couple of days.:)
Im Hungry

United States

#11 Oct 14, 2011
This has been a long time coming. He has been acting a fool all year. Im sure he has helped some folks along the way but he has crossed the line. He has been banned from Stoutland Schools for a conflict with parents. A high school pricipal is a representaive for the entire school & area. He should not be allowed to act in this way.

Since: Oct 11

Rolla, MO

#12 Oct 14, 2011
I'm sure Mr. Guffey is not in the dark. Why don't they ask him. I'm glad the smartass is gone.
excuse me

Rolla, MO

#13 Oct 14, 2011
_WTF__ wrote:
They have high schools in Rolla? He||, I didn't figure anyone in Missouri was smart enough to make it that far.
Of course they have high schools in Rolla, you ignorant jackass. I am a graduate of Rolla HS and am finishing up my college degree. Then again, I am not originally from Missouri, so maybe that is why I am not as dumb.

Plus, this principal is from Newburg. You should be surprised that THEY have a high school! This principal lets students get away with alot, that is for sure. I know of someone who graduated from there a few years ago, and she missed day after day after day of school and he just excused it and let her graduate anyway, with no appeal or anything. He lets alot of students get by with too many things. In Rolla, if you miss a certain amount of school days, even if you have excuses (unless you're pregnant, then you get special attention nowadays) you have to go in front of the board and appeal every single absence. I dont know this principal personally, but I dont think students should be given diplomas if they didnt do the work they were supposed to!
Doolittler

Holden, MO

#14 Oct 14, 2011
Not only does Newburg have a high school, but many fine graduates. Not to brag or anything, but I am a proud graduate of Newburg. I spent all 13 years of my schooling there and continued on to an out-of-town college and graduated with an excellent GPA. In fact, I'm so proud of my Newburg education, I came back so my children could attend there.

I have not known of Newburg being "lax" on their attendance policies, or at least no more so than surrounding schools. Mind you, my kids currently attend and my nephews have for many years. Many times, there are circumstance that are "excusable", that are most likely, none of your business.

All you can say is some chick you know missed "too many days of school" and therefore draw the conclusion this principal "lets students get away with alot". What a weak statement and pathetic "facts". Sounds like Rolla gave you a fine education in bigotry.(You might need to go look that up).

“Now do whats right!”

Since: Jan 09

Doolittle, Mo.

#15 Oct 14, 2011
Doolittler wrote:
Not only does Newburg have a high school, but many fine graduates. Not to brag or anything, but I am a proud graduate of Newburg. I spent all 13 years of my schooling there and continued on to an out-of-town college and graduated with an excellent GPA. In fact, I'm so proud of my Newburg education, I came back so my children could attend there.
I have not known of Newburg being "lax" on their attendance policies, or at least no more so than surrounding schools. Mind you, my kids currently attend and my nephews have for many years. Many times, there are circumstance that are "excusable", that are most likely, none of your business.
All you can say is some chick you know missed "too many days of school" and therefore draw the conclusion this principal "lets students get away with alot". What a weak statement and pathetic "facts". Sounds like Rolla gave you a fine education in bigotry.(You might need to go look that up).
I totally agree, I have advanced degrees and I contibute a portion of that to the Newburg School System. For a poor community it would be very interesting in the number of college bound and degrees recieved from individuals who attended Newburg Schools. Displine always was a priority here, and most realize how important this factor is and conducive to a good education and to a productive and satisfying life.
Ethan

Bonnots Mill, MO

#16 Oct 14, 2011
I think starbucks coffee is pretty expensive. I prefer duncan doughnuts. I don't make much money but I like to spend a little for breakfast in the morning. My local church has good coffee.
Had enough

Warsaw, MO

#17 Oct 14, 2011
excuse me wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course they have high schools in Rolla, you ignorant jackass. I am a graduate of Rolla HS and am finishing up my college degree. Then again, I am not originally from Missouri, so maybe that is why I am not as dumb.
Plus, this principal is from Newburg. You should be surprised that THEY have a high school! This principal lets students get away with alot, that is for sure. I know of someone who graduated from there a few years ago, and she missed day after day after day of school and he just excused it and let her graduate anyway, with no appeal or anything. He lets alot of students get by with too many things. In Rolla, if you miss a certain amount of school days, even if you have excuses (unless you're pregnant, then you get special attention nowadays) you have to go in front of the board and appeal every single absence. I dont know this principal personally, but I dont think students should be given diplomas if they didnt do the work they were supposed to!
That is the "NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND" law that the people you all voted into office came up with. Teaching kids to be lazy so they can get prepared for their career in the welfare system. They teach kids to not have pride in themselves and their work. Because they do not have to work. We have let the soft hearted people take over and it has cause mayhem.

“Now do whats right!”

Since: Jan 09

Doolittle, Mo.

#18 Oct 14, 2011
Had enough wrote:
<quoted text> That is the "NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND" law that the people you all voted into office came up with. Teaching kids to be lazy so they can get prepared for their career in the welfare system. They teach kids to not have pride in themselves and their work. Because they do not have to work. We have let the soft hearted people take over and it has cause mayhem.
What? You may want to do a little research on your theory. "No child left behind" actually put more stringent rules and regulations on the teaching of children.

This program puts more responsibilities on teachers to have those students perform at a higher level. Bill Clinton stated "every child in American would learn to read" But alas those standards were ineffective to some children, especially in the special education areas, so actually that concept is being reevaluated now.

So your theory on "lazy, pride, do not have to work, and career in the welfare system" couldn't be further from the reality with this concept.
Wolf Alumni

Warrensburg, MO

#19 Oct 14, 2011
I anticipate many will be suprised at the "rest of the story" on this issue. It is sad that power has a way of turning good people to the dark side.
wolf 2008

United States

#20 Oct 14, 2011
I graduated from newburg and if it weren't for guffey caring for the school and students as he did many would not have made it to where they are today....he has showed many of us the potential we have to succeed...he has always been fair to each and everyone of the students...you acted out you got punished...he pushed us to improve or maps scores he has made the school a better place in so many different ways...but honestly you would have to be a student at newburg and have him as a coach or principal to understand how much he has done...Mr guffey has me and my families complete support and we will stand behind him til the end...we love you Mr guffey!!!! You have changed so many lives!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rolla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Walmart Distribution Center good place to work? (Jun '12) 37 min Yoyio 268
Rodger Wagoner 8 hr wondering 14
Old white Ford Police car 13 hr Smarter Than You 2
Rolla Football. ESPN? 15 hr for real 8
Tim Potter Missing 19 hr Sister 4
what happened to locker room? (Jul '12) Sat back4more 39
Aimee Dion and Tylar Cash Sat tylar cash 3
Rolla Dating
Find my Match

Rolla Jobs