Next Last
valley

United States

#1 Oct 12, 2012
Court results today 10-12-12
brz549

White Pine, TN

#2 Oct 12, 2012
ROGERSVILLE — Former Hawkins County Sessions Judge James “Jay” Taylor looked like any other attorney in the courtroom Friday morning except for the fact he was handcuffed. And he was already a convicted felon.

Taylor, 41, 148 Stewart Hills Drive, Rogersville, is already serving a jail sentence stemming from guilty pleas to six felony theft charges last month in Davidson County

On Friday, Taylor was sentenced to more time behind bars on Hawkins County charges pertaining to theft from clients and theft of funds he raised to install a display in the courtroom lobby that included the Ten Commandments.
&# 8232;

The amount of time he will actually serve in jail will ultimately be determined by authorities at the Davidson County Jail who calculate his “good time” credits along with other early release eligibilities. 

Taylor’s attorney, Matthew King, told the Times-News last month that Taylor may be out of jail in time for Christmas.
&#823 2;

In Rogersville Friday, Taylor pleaded no contest to one count of theft over $10,000, and he pleaded guilty to one count of theft over $10,000 and four counts of theft over $1,000.

Overall he was sentenced to three years on the Hawkins County charges. One of those years is to be served in jail and the other two are on probation, but the plea agreement also stipulates that his time will be no more than six months”— not including any other “good time” credits he earns in the Davidson County Jail.

For his Hawkins County charges, Taylor was also ordered to pay a total of $71,783 to six different victims.

Taylor has been incarcerated at the Davidson County Jail since being indicted there in May on charges related to fraudulent payment claims he made to the Tennessee Administrative Office of the Courts.

Taylor’s Hawkins County sentence is to run consecutive to his Davidson County sentence which included three years behind bars with a 30 percent release eligibility, an additional 10 years of probation, and $32,750 in restitution to the state.

Overall it’s a 16 year sentence, most of which will be served on probation, and Taylor will remain disbarred at least until he gets off probation in 2028.

Read the full account of Taylor’s Friday guilty plea in the Saturday edition of the Times-News.

Awwww

United States

#3 Oct 12, 2012
"He may be out in time for Christmas". Dont you love a fairy tale ending? Makes my <3 all warm and fuzzy.
Let me tell you

United States

#4 Oct 12, 2012
Please!!! A slap on the hand!!! This is BS!! When the people of this town going to grow some nads then maybe we will get rid of all the corruption in this town!!! A simple DUI offender gets more then that low life bum!! This whole thing makes me sick to my stomach!! I just do not know what is it going to take to bring all the corruption out in this town?????????? Trust me their is so much more going on in this town!! We have to band together to get this stopped now!! Pull all the dirt out in this town then this town would be a better place to live in!!! Give us all a break corrupt higher ups!!
DID TBI

Knoxville, TN

#5 Oct 12, 2012
Forget the bribe investigation? If so can we get the FBI?
well

United States

#6 Oct 12, 2012
This is totally messed up. Slap on his ass and be home in couple mths. Who's butt is he kissin? His license will b given back? Ok bring Doug back.
The truth

United States

#7 Oct 14, 2012
well wrote:
This is totally messed up. Slap on his ass and be home in couple mths. Who's butt is he kissin? His license will b given back? Ok bring Doug back.
I agree Judge Taylor and Doug should both be reinstaded to there rightfor jobs they did a great job.
Welp

Johnson City, TN

#8 Nov 27, 2012
ROGERSVILLE — The wife of former Hawkins County sessions and juvenile judge James “Jay” Taylor was ordered earlier this month to pay more than $63,000 to the plaintiff in a civil lawsuit filed against the couple last year.
unbelievable

Kingsport, TN

#9 Nov 27, 2012
Good, they know they won't get the money out of Taylor, so they go after his wife. Bet the church will take up a love offering for it. These people make me sick.
about time

Kingsport, TN

#10 Nov 27, 2012
Welp wrote:
ROGERSVILLE — The wife of former Hawkins County sessions and juvenile judge James “Jay” Taylor was ordered earlier this month to pay more than $63,000 to the plaintiff in a civil lawsuit filed against the couple last year.
Wow!!! What happened? That is a lot of money!!!
Welp

Johnson City, TN

#11 Nov 27, 2012
http://timesnews.net/article/9054465/former-h...

The order, filed in Hawkins County Circuit Court on Nov. 9, was signed by Sevier County Circuit Judge Rex Henry Ogle, who was appointed to hear the case of Doris Colleen Burns versus James Taylor and his wife, Julia North Taylor.

In December of last year, Burns filed a lawsuit against James Taylor alleging that on Nov. 12, 2008, he borrowed $65,000 from Burns, who was his client in pending civil litigation. The note was reportedly cosigned by Julia Taylor.

Ogle’s order states that based on Julia Taylor’s failure to reply to the allegations through counsel, or pro se, the court entered a judgment against her for a total of $63,341, which includes Burns’ attorney fee and court costs.

Kingsport attorney David Darnell is listed as Julia Taylor’s attorney in Ogle’s order.

A message left for Darnell by the Times-News Monday seeking comment about the judgment was not returned.

James Taylor was ordered to pay Burns $50,000 in restitution stemming from the same situation when he pleaded guilty Oct. 12 in Hawkins County Criminal Court to six felony theft charges.

Those theft charges stemmed from money stolen from former clients in Taylor’s private law practice as well as theft of funds he raised under the pretext of hanging historical documents including the Ten Commandments on the wall of the Hawkins County Justice Center.

Morristown attorney Paul Whetstone, who represents Burns in her lawsuit, said the criminal restitution and civil judgment overlap.

“We’re not double dipping, but we now have two courts that have ordered these funds be paid to my client,” Whetstone said.“That’s two courts the defendants will have to answer to if these funds aren’t paid.”

Whetstone noted, however, that Burns isn’t through with the Taylors.

In February, Burns amended her original lawsuit to include an additional $16,000 she claims James Taylor “extorted” from her in 2010. She is also seeking “unspecified damages” in that amended suit.

The amended lawsuit claims that he threatened Burns with a false criminal charge and prison to intimidate her into paying him $16,000, which Taylor allegedly told Burns was to be used as bribe money.

The lawsuit alleges that in his private practice Taylor was representing Burns in an adoption case involving a child.

Taylor allegedly told Burns that the guardian ad litem in that case was going to place criminal charges against her for “selling a baby.” He allegedly threatened that the consequence could be a prison sentence for Burns, who allegedly paid Taylor the $16,000.

Taylor served as Hawkins County juvenile judge from 2006 until August of 2011, when he was appointed sessions judge by the County Commission. He resigned his sessions judge seat in May, shortly before being indicted in Davidson County and later in Hawkins County on theft charges.

In addition to his October guilty pleas, Taylor pleaded guilty in September in Davidson County to another six felony theft charges stemming from fraudulent payment claims he made from the Tennessee Administrative Office of Courts.

James Taylor is currently incarcerated in the Davidson County Jail awaiting an expected early release on a three-year jail sentence, after which he will remain on probation until 2028.
jes me

Madisonville, TN

#12 Nov 27, 2012
I feel sorry for her. She doesn't seem all that smart and her mother stood up for that sleazy Taylor instead of taking care of her daughter.
Welp

Johnson City, TN

#13 Nov 27, 2012
She was smart enough to snag a fella who she thought would provide her with a future she felt was secure.

Think of it like this, she is smart enough to never have worked a day in her life.
willy

United States

#14 Nov 28, 2012
I doubt if the Taylors will pay anything to the people they have swindled. The I.R.S. has already took their property. Taylor can't practice law. It will never be paid.
wondering

Morristown, TN

#15 Nov 28, 2012
why the IRS hasn't charged him for his crimes related to Kathy Cradic? I guess some of us have to pay our payroll taxes, but some get by with not even filing tax records at all.

YES!!!!!!! It's a great day when a thug and his family get sentenced twice!

The Taylors' ought to have to live on bread and water all their lives and be MADE to pay back what they stole. He was an attorney/judge who intimidated, then ruined a lot of defenseless women with his lies and license to practice crime....... the dirty, rotten, SOB.
Anonymous

Myrtle Beach, SC

#17 Nov 28, 2012
Yeah he a fellon but they wNt ti give my newphew six on hear say and he gets like slap in wrist.2
kark

Charlotte, NC

#18 Nov 29, 2012
The truth wrote:
<quoted text>I agree Judge Taylor and Doug should both be reinstaded to there rightfor jobs they did a great job.
You are STUPID!
Anonymous

Morristown, TN

#19 Nov 29, 2012
For starters, his wife is a great upstanding christian who serves jesus. Yes, she believed anything threw her way. She believed in her family abd kids, as everyone of us would.... most of all shr loved her boys and served her christ.... leave her alone. Bad mouthing is the last thing this mother AND KIDS need.... Julie, I love you..... Tessa
surprised

Wadesboro, NC

#20 Nov 29, 2012
a matter of a fact wrote:
For starters, his wife is a great upstanding christian who serves jesus. Yes, she believed anything threw her way. She believed in her family abd kids, as everyone of us would.... most of all shr loved her boys and served her christ.... leave her alone. Bad mouthing is the last thing this mother AND K
IDS need.... Julie, I love you..... Tessa
Honey u need to read the paper more often she is not what you think she is
DEVEL

Salem, VA

#21 Nov 30, 2012
Hey, we all want to commit crimes and sins and tell lies and break the rules and stuff and get away with it, so none of us need to get on here and act like we are above anyone else. If all of us had to pay for the things we have gotten away with, we would all be wanting some mercy too.

"for it is appointed unto man once to die, and AFTER THIS the judgement."

See, none of us are getting away with ANYTHING!!!!
We all gonna die, we all gonna be judged after we die.

But hey, what do I know, I am just the DEVEL!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amy Jeffers 53 min Facts 20
Roger Stewart 1 hr Old TImer 5
hair focus rogersville 2 hr friend 1
Judge Taylor Sells a Baby (Feb '12) 4 hr who cares 17
Replace Current EMA and 911 Director and their ... 11 hr Btr qualified no ... 10
God bless President Obama 11 hr Shawn Hammtitty 1
Blood on their hands 14 hr suzan wise 6
Dentist and daughter accused of TennCare fraud Sat Really?? 21
Rogersville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Rogersville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Rogersville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Rogersville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]