More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 Full story: news.yahoo.com 10,149

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Full Story
Zap

AOL

#6291 May 16, 2012
Old Army wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Zap. They gave me one about seven years ago but I quit wearing it, now wife is telling me to go back. I still have it, probably just needs a new battery.
Maybe you should listen to her. If I had to talk to me I would stop coming to the house. Might be why I don't have any company. My dog likes me. I think. I never heard him say otherwise.
Zap

AOL

#6292 May 16, 2012
from hear me wrote:
dogs can learn things I am sure the birds will figure out that there buddy just hit the ground go the other way
Dogs are smart, don't know abt birds, they do take flight training. My dog was abt 4 when I started giving him the plastic containers of chicken salad, butter & pimento cheese, I use to laugh at him when he would pick up the container & most of it would block his vision, after abt 3 times he found out he could reach across the cup & pick it up with out blocking his sight. He's smarter than my neighbor & twice as handsome. I admit I was concerned when he started racing, the seat belts never fit him right.
Zap

AOL

#6293 May 16, 2012
I read the BBC News Front Page today. Seems like the "Turkey Villagers see Israel spy in migratory bird" they found a dead bird with a metal band that said Israel on it. The local police declared it a spy & sent it in for investigation. They should know that Israel would be smarter than that, they would have used a US metal band. what a bunch of turkey's.
Zap

AOL

#6294 May 17, 2012
Every day when you wake you should make a wish. Todays wish is that North Korea nukes China, Iran nukes Russia, & the US bans golf from TV

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#6295 May 17, 2012
Zap wrote:
I read the BBC News Front Page today. Seems like the "Turkey Villagers see Israel spy in migratory bird" they found a dead bird with a metal band that said Israel on it. The local police declared it a spy & sent it in for investigation. They should know that Israel would be smarter than that, they would have used a US metal band. what a bunch of turkey's.
I lived on the nothernmost point of Turkey for a year Sinop Diogenes Station and I am concerned over thier Goverment that they have now they are moving to non secular government after all the hard Attaturk but in to avoid this they are starting to become radical not a good thing

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#6296 May 17, 2012
After all the hard work Attaturk put in to insure a secular Government in the are starting to become a non secular radical nation. not a good thing
Zap

AOL

#6297 May 18, 2012
I agree. I fear its the future.
ihateracism

Monticello, AR

#6298 May 18, 2012
NAACP wrote:
I hate to use the race card, but ya'll know if these were "whitebirds" this problem would have done been solved years ago, but they are blackbirds, so this gets low priority from the government.
Where you at keisha Henderson? Need some help here.
Guest

Euless, TX

#6299 May 20, 2012
Really dead birds!

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#6300 May 21, 2012
Guest wrote:
Really dead birds!
i am hopping for 10,000 posts going kind of slow
Zap

AOL

#6301 May 21, 2012
Maybe I can help. About 20 years ago I was using two hummer feeders, there was always a fight over them, over the years there has been a decline here in this area of TN. I remember one year the storms in the Gulf was blamed for the loss of a lot of them. the decline has been steady over the years. At one time there would be hummers here by the 15 th of Apr every year even when there was just a few here. I put out a feeder every year even though there is only a seldom seen hummer. They arrived in May this year. So far there was a female a few days back & yesterday I saw a little male. Has any body else seen this decline in their area?
Old Army

Greenbrier, AR

#6302 May 21, 2012
Can't speak to a trend on the hummingbirds, only been feeding them two years. Last year think there were two, this year four. Don't know if they are playing or fighting but they sure get after each other. One feeder hanging on the front porch and one in a maple tree. Was sitting on the back porch and one of the little buggers flew within a foot of my face, gave me a long look then took off. Guess he figured I wasn't sweet or maybe checking out his reflection in my glasses.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#6303 May 21, 2012
Zap wrote:
Maybe I can help. About 20 years ago I was using two hummer feeders, there was always a fight over them, over the years there has been a decline here in this area of TN. I remember one year the storms in the Gulf was blamed for the loss of a lot of them. the decline has been steady over the years. At one time there would be hummers here by the 15 th of Apr every year even when there was just a few here. I put out a feeder every year even though there is only a seldom seen hummer. They arrived in May this year. So far there was a female a few days back & yesterday I saw a little male. Has any body else seen this decline in their area?
Last year there where too many to count. this year only three so far. and they where late in arriving. Im watching one at the feeder outside the window at this very moment.
Zap

AOL

#6304 May 22, 2012
Old Army wrote:
Can't speak to a trend on the hummingbirds, only been feeding them two years. Last year think there were two, this year four. Don't know if they are playing or fighting but they sure get after each other. One feeder hanging on the front porch and one in a maple tree. Was sitting on the back porch and one of the little buggers flew within a foot of my face, gave me a long look then took off. Guess he figured I wasn't sweet or maybe checking out his reflection in my glasses.
Hey Army. I like the little guys. It's odd how they study things. We put up some sun catchers (multiple color) on the sliding glass door to tell other birds not to fly into it. Every year some little hummer will come & hover around them just to study the colors I guess. during the storms several years back the wind tore down some trees & limbs around the farn. I found a hummer nest in one. interesting little nest, of course I have seen them before, but its always a marvel when I find one.
Zap

AOL

#6305 May 22, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Last year there where too many to count. this year only three so far. and they where late in arriving. Im watching one at the feeder outside the window at this very moment.
I had friends that live along the gulf, they said there were hundreds of people that put out hummer feeders there. after the long flight over water the little guys would stop for a few days & tank up before moving north. Same thing in the fall for their flight back. Sam said that there was years when the storms were getting worse & would kill hundreds of them out at sea.. The global warming will probablly incease the storm activity there. Sam is gone but I hope the residents are still feeding the hummers as the cross.
Zap

AOL

#6306 May 22, 2012
The BBC News Front Page out of UK published an article intitled "Arctic melt releases ancient methane" you need to get on up there. Not every day you get to smell a dinosaur fart.
Zap

AOL

#6307 May 22, 2012
Politicians have the snarts to get elected, after that, nothing.
Zap

AOL

#6308 May 22, 2012
Politicians have the smarts to get elected, after that, nothing. see what I mean?
Zap

AOL

#6309 May 23, 2012
If you want to build this thread you gotta talk back.
Zap

AOL

#6310 May 23, 2012
Iran has a 1 day army maneuver. I can't believe it takes them all day to find a place to hide.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Family files lawsuit over fatal shooting at Ohi... 11 hr barefoot2626 16
Sonic is raising drink prices January 1st 13 hr Bulldogsrock 2
Review: Bud Anderson Heating & Cooling (Jan '09) Tue jason wirt 82
Marshall Islands immigrants in Springdale, Arka... (Feb '08) Dec 14 Lutokiong26 57
City of Bella Vista say NO to Walmart (May '12) Dec 7 BV resident 51
Elmwood jr high early 90s Dec 6 Jakeyboy 1
Michelle Duggar Dec 2 WannaKnow 1
Rogers Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Rogers People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Rogers News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Rogers

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:20 am PST

NBC Sports 8:20AM
De'Anthony Thomas garners AFC special teams player of the week honors
Bleacher Report 9:43 AM
Offseason Should Start with Trading for Cutler
NBC Sports 2:15 PM
Should fantasy owners bench Eli Manning in Week 16?
Bleacher Report 5:58 PM
Kansas City Chiefs vs. Pittsburgh Steelers Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick
Bleacher Report 9:09 PM
Breaking Down New York's Game Plan