More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 | Posted by: Inisa Love | Full story: news.yahoo.com

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.

Comments (Page 295)

Showing posts 5,881 - 5,900 of9,713
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2012

dogs can learn things I am sure the birds will figure out that there buddy just hit the ground go the other way
NAACP

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2012

Judged:

I hate to use the race card, but ya'll know if these were "whitebirds" this problem would have done been solved years ago, but they are blackbirds, so this gets low priority from the government.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2012

Old Army wrote:
<quoted text>
You are exaggerating, we don't have an earthquake almost weekly, and how do you explain the same earthquake activity in the same area in the 1970s? Sorry no correlation has been proven between the gas grilling, earthquakes and dead birds.
There was a 2.5 on may 9th. Nothing has been proven or disproven about the dead birds or the fish kill.
Old Army

Sheridan, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2012

May 9th. Yep, 16 months after the birds dropped dead. Everything seems normal here near Pangburn. Beautiful day with clean air, clean river, birds doing their thing and life going on.
Zap

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2012

Old Army wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Zap. They gave me one about seven years ago but I quit wearing it, now wife is telling me to go back. I still have it, probably just needs a new battery.
Maybe you should listen to her. If I had to talk to me I would stop coming to the house. Might be why I don't have any company. My dog likes me. I think. I never heard him say otherwise.
Zap

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2012

from hear me wrote:
dogs can learn things I am sure the birds will figure out that there buddy just hit the ground go the other way
Dogs are smart, don't know abt birds, they do take flight training. My dog was abt 4 when I started giving him the plastic containers of chicken salad, butter & pimento cheese, I use to laugh at him when he would pick up the container & most of it would block his vision, after abt 3 times he found out he could reach across the cup & pick it up with out blocking his sight. He's smarter than my neighbor & twice as handsome. I admit I was concerned when he started racing, the seat belts never fit him right.
Zap

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2012

Judged:

I read the BBC News Front Page today. Seems like the "Turkey Villagers see Israel spy in migratory bird" they found a dead bird with a metal band that said Israel on it. The local police declared it a spy & sent it in for investigation. They should know that Israel would be smarter than that, they would have used a US metal band. what a bunch of turkey's.
Zap

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

Every day when you wake you should make a wish. Todays wish is that North Korea nukes China, Iran nukes Russia, & the US bans golf from TV

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

Zap wrote:
I read the BBC News Front Page today. Seems like the "Turkey Villagers see Israel spy in migratory bird" they found a dead bird with a metal band that said Israel on it. The local police declared it a spy & sent it in for investigation. They should know that Israel would be smarter than that, they would have used a US metal band. what a bunch of turkey's.
I lived on the nothernmost point of Turkey for a year Sinop Diogenes Station and I am concerned over thier Goverment that they have now they are moving to non secular government after all the hard Attaturk but in to avoid this they are starting to become radical not a good thing

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

After all the hard work Attaturk put in to insure a secular Government in the are starting to become a non secular radical nation. not a good thing
Zap

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2012

I agree. I fear its the future.
ihateracism

Monticello, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2012

NAACP wrote:
I hate to use the race card, but ya'll know if these were "whitebirds" this problem would have done been solved years ago, but they are blackbirds, so this gets low priority from the government.
Where you at keisha Henderson? Need some help here.

Paige, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2012

Really dead birds!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Guest wrote:
Really dead birds!
i am hopping for 10,000 posts going kind of slow
Zap

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Maybe I can help. About 20 years ago I was using two hummer feeders, there was always a fight over them, over the years there has been a decline here in this area of TN. I remember one year the storms in the Gulf was blamed for the loss of a lot of them. the decline has been steady over the years. At one time there would be hummers here by the 15 th of Apr every year even when there was just a few here. I put out a feeder every year even though there is only a seldom seen hummer. They arrived in May this year. So far there was a female a few days back & yesterday I saw a little male. Has any body else seen this decline in their area?
Old Army

Sheridan, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Can't speak to a trend on the hummingbirds, only been feeding them two years. Last year think there were two, this year four. Don't know if they are playing or fighting but they sure get after each other. One feeder hanging on the front porch and one in a maple tree. Was sitting on the back porch and one of the little buggers flew within a foot of my face, gave me a long look then took off. Guess he figured I wasn't sweet or maybe checking out his reflection in my glasses.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Zap wrote:
Maybe I can help. About 20 years ago I was using two hummer feeders, there was always a fight over them, over the years there has been a decline here in this area of TN. I remember one year the storms in the Gulf was blamed for the loss of a lot of them. the decline has been steady over the years. At one time there would be hummers here by the 15 th of Apr every year even when there was just a few here. I put out a feeder every year even though there is only a seldom seen hummer. They arrived in May this year. So far there was a female a few days back & yesterday I saw a little male. Has any body else seen this decline in their area?
Last year there where too many to count. this year only three so far. and they where late in arriving. Im watching one at the feeder outside the window at this very moment.
Zap

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

Old Army wrote:
Can't speak to a trend on the hummingbirds, only been feeding them two years. Last year think there were two, this year four. Don't know if they are playing or fighting but they sure get after each other. One feeder hanging on the front porch and one in a maple tree. Was sitting on the back porch and one of the little buggers flew within a foot of my face, gave me a long look then took off. Guess he figured I wasn't sweet or maybe checking out his reflection in my glasses.
Hey Army. I like the little guys. It's odd how they study things. We put up some sun catchers (multiple color) on the sliding glass door to tell other birds not to fly into it. Every year some little hummer will come & hover around them just to study the colors I guess. during the storms several years back the wind tore down some trees & limbs around the farn. I found a hummer nest in one. interesting little nest, of course I have seen them before, but its always a marvel when I find one.
Zap

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Last year there where too many to count. this year only three so far. and they where late in arriving. Im watching one at the feeder outside the window at this very moment.
I had friends that live along the gulf, they said there were hundreds of people that put out hummer feeders there. after the long flight over water the little guys would stop for a few days & tank up before moving north. Same thing in the fall for their flight back. Sam said that there was years when the storms were getting worse & would kill hundreds of them out at sea.. The global warming will probablly incease the storm activity there. Sam is gone but I hope the residents are still feeding the hummers as the cross.
Zap

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

Judged:

The BBC News Front Page out of UK published an article intitled "Arctic melt releases ancient methane" you need to get on up there. Not every day you get to smell a dinosaur fart.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 5,881 - 5,900 of9,713
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Rogers Discussions

Search the Rogers Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Dentist Bryan Childress (Jun '11) 20 hr Justin 11
Walmart sucks a big thick Cob 21 hr Linmore 4
Bella Vista POA. (Jan '09) Thu Greg 207
AR Did you vote today? (Jun '10) Thu Yes 27,899
Former Rogers Doctor Accused In Patient Nude Ph... Wed Track 2
POA wants more money (Feb '13) Wed Kasey 106
Bella Vista POA another assessment increase idea (Jun '13) Wed John 30
•••
•••