Comments
41 - 60 of 141 Comments Last updated Jun 7, 2014
Former Clinton Resident

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43
Sep 30, 2009
 
Sheeplady,

I would be happy to help keep these murderers in jail. Email debbi0912@yahoo.com. I rememeber that day very well.

Former Clinton Resident
David from Motgomery

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#44
Oct 1, 2009
 
I was in Darlington Junior high when the murders happened. The central question from the comunity was: were the victims targeted by Drollinger or was it random?( At the time there was a rumor Drollenger killed them over somekind of petty drug deal)
sheeplady

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45
Oct 1, 2009
 
David from Motgomery wrote:
I was in Darlington Junior high when the murders happened. The central question from the comunity was: were the victims targeted by Drollinger or was it random?( At the time there was a rumor Drollenger killed them over somekind of petty drug deal)
It was NOT the central question of the community about a drug deal. yes there was a very short term rumor but police exhausted that lead and found nothing. the spencers were randomly selected.
sheeplady

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#46
Oct 1, 2009
 
Former Clinton Resident wrote:
Sheeplady,
I would be happy to help keep these murderers in jail. Email debbi0912@yahoo.com. I rememeber that day very well.
Former Clinton Resident
thank you for your help. I now live in Crawfordsville and will keep up updated of anything. so far nothing has happened.
Former Clinton Resident

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#47
Oct 2, 2009
 
sheeplady wrote:
<quoted text>
thank you for your help. I now live in Crawfordsville and will keep up updated of anything. so far nothing has happened.
Thank you!
Mattie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#48
Oct 15, 2009
 
Since my last post I searched for and finally found the resting place of Greg, Ralph, Raymond, Reeve and Betty. I visited the graves just outside of the town of Hollandsburg. The boys all are together with one very large headstone. Greg is on the far left followed by the other boys. There is a beautiful poem in the middle. Betty is just less than a stone's throw across the drive from her boys. The cemetery is very quiet and very peaceful. I never forgot them and I think the reason is this...when I look at where the four of them lay...I think to myself...this was a random act of violence...and it could have been any family there under that stone. It could have been my family...a friend's family...or any family...it happened the way it happened for reasons none of us will ever know...I will go back...because I can never forget...how fate that night picked them...and not me...
Brittney

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#49
Nov 10, 2009
 
My great-grandfather was the lead detective on the case. He was also the Montgomery County Sherrif at the time.
Robert

Sandy, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50
Nov 16, 2009
 
The real mother of three of the boys killed just told this story on Coast to Coast am radio show. The Host George Nory gave her 20 minutes to tell this story. I have never heard him give a caller that much time. I had never heard this story and I wish I hadn't. How terrible.
abc

Cullman, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#51
Dec 4, 2009
 
steve b wrote:
<quoted text>I too was a young boy when this happened. I used to go to Raccoon Lake.I have read many books and websites on this. I went by the trailer was I was younger. I just can't remember where the trailer used to be. So my question is where was the trailer located and why after 30 years are people still afraid? Thank you.
steve_baise@admworld.com
Having grown up in that area, I can tell you it isn't a "fear" thing as many outside the area seem to want to believe. It is a respect thing...something most in this day have forgotten or choose to ignore.
Dave

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#52
Dec 9, 2009
 
I also attended school with Dan Stonebraker and Mike Wright. Mike Wright was a bully from jr. high through high school. He indeed had a bad temper and would want to fight at the drop of a hat. Dan and I were friends and he would sometimes help out on our farm. In our senior year Dan started changing. Dan asked me to meet a new friend of his,that friend was Roger Drollinger. That guy was as scarry as any person as any body would ever want to be around. I could tell he was nothing but trouble.After that night I never really hung with Dan much again. There is no excuse for what happened and the people responsible for the murders are where they belong. A person does feel for the innocent family members involved.
snakemeister

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#53
Dec 13, 2009
 
Carolyn Spencer on Coast to coast said that gang was inspired by "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote but all the posts say they were inspired by Charles Manson. I wonder which is correct or if both came into play.
Former IR Employee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#54
Feb 5, 2010
 
I worked many years at the Reformatory in a capacity that permitted me access to all three of the killers housed at IR. I have spoken at length with them regarding their actions. All three point the finger a Drollingers influence over them as the reason they were involved. I think to an extent, all three are remorseful but much of that remorse is tied to getting caught and being incarcerated for the rest of their lives. Of the three in prison, Stonebraker was definitely the best behaved and was viewed as a model prisoner. He appears to me as the most remorseful. If you haven't worked in a prison, you won't understand this but he was decent to have in your housing unit or work site. I think he could make it on the outside BUT he doesn't deserve the chance.

All three at IR now the Pendleton Correctional Facility understand that they cannot be released due to being sentenced to double life under the old Indiana Sentencing Code. IF they could their sentences modified to one life sentence, they could then seek parole. I am as close to certain as humanly possible that their sentence will never be modified nor would I recommend it. The odd thing is that in prison they are not scary or a person you would think to be a monster. Although I was repulsed by their crime, it never bothered me to be around them. In prison, they weren't going to hurt anyone. The odd thing is that this crime effected my life as a child. I remember going to Hollandsburg as a child and looking for the home and trying to figure it out with my parents only to be working with three of the killers a 11 years later.

This crime and the criminals associated is just one of thousands of crimes I dealt with in my years at IR. Until you are apart of the system or a victim, you never really realize how many peoples lives are affected by criminals. Believe it or not, there are cases that are more appalling than this one.

My condolences to the family members that have had to endure this horrible crime and will take its' effects to the grave with them.

On a side note, The State of Indiana DOC policy states that no offender that has ever injuried a victim or used a weapon during their crime is eligible for escorted funeral visitation. The only way Drollinger was going to the funeral of his mother was with a court order. The DOC policy would never had allowed it. When you commit the horrible acts that he did, he gave up the privilege of attending these types of activities. He should have thought before he acted.
sheeplady

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#55
Feb 6, 2010
 
Thank you for your letter. You are right on target. I am very close to the Spencer family and I know what they have endured. You are right about the 3 being under drollingers influence but it was their choice and it angers me when these people think they should be out. On another note, we have not been told that they cannot get parole. the last we knew was they could always try and we are ready to keep them there forever. Why was the Spencer family not notified about this fact? thank you for letting us know. Sheeplady
Former IR Employee wrote:
I worked many years at the Reformatory in a capacity that permitted me access to all three of the killers housed at IR. I have spoken at length with them regarding their actions. All three point the finger a Drollingers influence over them as the reason they were involved. I think to an extent, all three are remorseful but much of that remorse is tied to getting caught and being incarcerated for the rest of their lives. Of the three in prison, Stonebraker was definitely the best behaved and was viewed as a model prisoner. He appears to me as the most remorseful. If you haven't worked in a prison, you won't understand this but he was decent to have in your housing unit or work site. I think he could make it on the outside BUT he doesn't deserve the chance.
All three at IR now the Pendleton Correctional Facility understand that they cannot be released due to being sentenced to double life under the old Indiana Sentencing Code. IF they could their sentences modified to one life sentence, they could then seek parole. I am as close to certain as humanly possible that their sentence will never be modified nor would I recommend it. The odd thing is that in prison they are not scary or a person you would think to be a monster. Although I was repulsed by their crime, it never bothered me to be around them. In prison, they weren't going to hurt anyone. The odd thing is that this crime effected my life as a child. I remember going to Hollandsburg as a child and looking for the home and trying to figure it out with my parents only to be working with three of the killers a 11 years later.
This crime and the criminals associated is just one of thousands of crimes I dealt with in my years at IR. Until you are apart of the system or a victim, you never really realize how many peoples lives are affected by criminals. Believe it or not, there are cases that are more appalling than this one.
My condolences to the family members that have had to endure this horrible crime and will take its' effects to the grave with them.
On a side note, The State of Indiana DOC policy states that no offender that has ever injuried a victim or used a weapon during their crime is eligible for escorted funeral visitation. The only way Drollinger was going to the funeral of his mother was with a court order. The DOC policy would never had allowed it. When you commit the horrible acts that he did, he gave up the privilege of attending these types of activities. He should have thought before he acted.
Former IR Employee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#56
Feb 6, 2010
 
With a double life sentence in Indiana under the old code from the 70's, there would be no way to be released unless they received a modification to the sentence or were granted clemency from one of the life sentences by the governor. Neither of these will ever happen.

It is odd to me to thank that they have been locked up for 35 years and free for 21/22. I knew of one inmate that had been locked up and still is from the early 60's.

On another unrelated note, does anyone know the name of the boy that shot the Brownstown Central assistant principal back in 1974. I wanted to see if what sort of sentence he had received but nothing pertinent comes up when I google it.
Former PC Resident

Terre Haute, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#57
Apr 7, 2010
 
I was 12 years old, living in a Beaver Cleaver world until that day in February 1977. I remember getting on the school bus and seeing some of the older kids crying...and if I remember right, soon after we got to school, we got sent home. Before that day, we didn't lock our doors ever. We weren't afraid of strangers. We heard that the suspects were in a black car, and my cousin and I were afraid to ice-skate because we would run for the house at the sight of any dark colored car. My senior yearbook was the first one in five years that didn't have some type of memorial dedicated to a deceased classmate.

That day in history changed my life. How do you even estimate how many lives it changed forever? You can't. You just remember it like a Stephen King novel, and remember the date that evil crept into your life.
TDJ129

Merrillville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#58
Jun 9, 2010
 
former Parke co resident wrote:
<quoted text>
I would like to be added to the list. I grew up with these kids. My email address is janetoo@hotmail.com
Add me also; I am a retired police officer and was in high school when these murders occurred. These 4 rat bastards should have been electrocuted along time ago. Even lethal injection would have been too good for them. Too bad the death penalty is not retroactive for worthless skels like these mutts are. I have six kids, and want to puke when i think my tax dollars go to house, feed, clothe, and maintain worthless scum such as them. Better one little boost to everyone's electric bill.
steele075@yahoo.com
TDJ129

Merrillville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#59
Jun 10, 2010
 
Mattie wrote:
Since my last post I searched for and finally found the resting place of Greg, Ralph, Raymond, Reeve and Betty. I visited the graves just outside of the town of Hollandsburg. The boys all are together with one very large headstone. Greg is on the far left followed by the other boys. There is a beautiful poem in the middle. Betty is just less than a stone's throw across the drive from her boys. The cemetery is very quiet and very peaceful. I never forgot them and I think the reason is this...when I look at where the four of them lay...I think to myself...this was a random act of violence...and it could have been any family there under that stone. It could have been my family...a friend's family...or any family...it happened the way it happened for reasons none of us will ever know...I will go back...because I can never forget...how fate that night picked them...and not me...
Do you know the name of the cemetery or what road it's on ?
TDJ129

Merrillville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60
Jun 11, 2010
 
I am looking for a copy of the book "Choking in Fear" but almost every vendor on the internet that has a book for sale wants a lot of money for the book. I have checked the library systems and it appears to be unavailable there also. If anyone would have any idea where a copy of the book could be obtained reasonably, please email me at tjames1107@yahoo.com. Thanks.
Tornadochaser

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#61
Jun 14, 2010
 
Contact Nile Stanton, he was the attorney from Indianapolis that represented Roger Clay Drollinger(the leader of the group).
s baise wrote:
I am trying to do a story about these murders. I have some information. I would like to know where the house is? Does anyone know anything about the murders? Thank you
"
Tornadochaser

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#62
Jun 14, 2010
 
I found the book at Amazon, used but in good shape for $128. It appears that the book is out of print from the publisher at this time.
TDJ129 wrote:
I am looking for a copy of the book "Choking in Fear" but almost every vendor on the internet that has a book for sale wants a lot of money for the book. I have checked the library systems and it appears to be unavailable there also. If anyone would have any idea where a copy of the book could be obtained reasonably, please email me at tjames1107@yahoo.com. Thanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Rockville Discussions

Search the Rockville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Kevin Jacks Jul 19 cmar 4
corrupt rockville correctional facility (Sep '12) Jul 19 miss me 118
IN Who do you support for Treasurer in Indiana in ... (Oct '10) Jun '14 Lord Hater 92
IN IN Property Tax Cap Amendment, Public Question 1 (Oct '10) Jun '14 Go Blue Forever 1,302
Woody and Norton (Mar '11) Jun '14 Curious in Indiana 24
inmate sovayda vasquez (Feb '12) Jun '14 Kinkster 6
2 Guys Sitting in Car DAILY in Prkng Lot Jun '14 LauraM 7
•••
•••
•••
•••

Rockville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Rockville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Rockville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Rockville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••