Riverton: A good place to live?

Posted in the Riverton Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
maybe moving

Azle, TX

#1 Nov 20, 2009
I ran across this forum while researching our possible transfer to WY.

Can anyone give me an honest opinion on Riverton WY? We have 4 children ranging in age from 14-4. I'm most concerned with the schools and if the area is a good place to raise a family. We haven't been there.

Thank you!
Dodger

Lander, WY

#3 Dec 9, 2009
We moved here 4 years ago and love it. The schools are really good and try to keep kids involved in lots of activities. There is not much shopping - Walmart Kamrt and some local stores. But groceries are reasonable and it is a friendly town. I actually live 20 mile out and work in Lander and Shop in Riverton. It's small town living, winters are cold - but dry cold. I moved from Houston so it was a complete change, I would definitely do it again.
I Can Read

Barnesville, OH

#4 Dec 13, 2009
Dodger, thanks for the info! My husband fell in love with Lander a few years ago while attending a Rendezvous in the area. He actually spent two months doing events in Wyoming, Montana and Colorado. The pictures he sent home via his digital camera card had me on Realtor.com looking for houses in Lander before he even came home! We are definately looking for the "small town living" atmosphere so this area sounds perfect! And from what I can see, going from Lander to Riverton to shop is no big deal as we travel a little farther than that to shop already! And I am certainly looking forward to a "dry" cold versus the bone chilling damp cold we have here in Missouri! Any opinions of living in Lander?
Anonymous

Great Falls, MT

#5 Dec 15, 2009
I lived in Riverton for a good portion of my life. I no longer live there but I still consider Riverton my home. Even with that being said I would still suggest anyone planning on moving to Riverton to highly consider Lander instead, espcially a family intending on raising children. Lander always seemed more relaxing and safer then Riverton. The crime in Riverton per capita is similar if not higher then larger cities. I implore you to compare riverton to larger cities in the country: http://www.city-data.com/

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#6 Jan 6, 2010
maybe moving wrote:
I ran across this forum while researching our possible transfer to WY.
Can anyone give me an honest opinion on Riverton WY? We have 4 children ranging in age from 14-4. I'm most concerned with the schools and if the area is a good place to raise a family. We haven't been there.
Thank you!
I live here now Maybe Moving. What specifically would you like to know?
jerry ruby

Gillette, WY

#7 Jan 16, 2010
My name is jerry ruby I just retired & my wife and i would like to move to riverton wy. We are rasing our 11 year old grandson we would like a smaller town live in.
Thank you jerry ruby
jerry ruby

Gillette, WY

#8 Jan 16, 2010
If anyone wants to contact us
jerry ruby
343 west hills loop gillette ,wy 82718
jerry ruby

Gillette, WY

#10 Jan 16, 2010
no
Cyber Slueth

Marion, IL

#11 Feb 1, 2010
I moved to Lander in 2006 still have my house there. I myself loved Lander. There are two grocery stores there. Mr "D`s" has everything you could look for and a great delli.
The school system is excellant. I was a foster grandmother at South Elementary and the teachers are topps.
I believe they are consolidating schools in the future. You would be better to raise children in Lander rather than Riverton. Too many drugs and drinking problems there.
The hospital and medical care are not the greatest. You have to go to Casper for that.
I myself left after two winters due to the severe winters and almost constant winds as I am over 70, but a young vibrant family most likely would not be bothered by that.
Lots of fishing and winter sports there. Dog Sleds in the winter.

Location hidden

#12 Feb 1, 2010
Cyber Slueth wrote:
I moved to Lander in 2006 still have my house there. I myself loved Lander. There are two grocery stores there. Mr "D`s" has everything you could look for and a great delli.
The school system is excellant. I was a foster grandmother at South Elementary and the teachers are topps.
I believe they are consolidating schools in the future. You would be better to raise children in Lander rather than Riverton. Too many drugs and drinking problems there.
The hospital and medical care are not the greatest. You have to go to Casper for that.
I myself left after two winters due to the severe winters and almost constant winds as I am over 70, but a young vibrant family most likely would not be bothered by that.
Lots of fishing and winter sports there. Dog Sleds in the winter.
Lander is a real cool place ... just like Riverton.
To say or to even think that there is more of a drug and drinking problem in Riverton than there is in Lander is not only incorrect, but naive. Watching school kids during lunch break, fire up their pot pipes in the car, right in broad daylight at the traffic light right outside Sanford's Pub and Grub in Lander certainly is no proof that it is less prevalent in Lander than anywhere else.
The medical care available in BOTH communities is better than what most of the rest of the rural communities in this country endures.
Hope you stay well and warm in IL.
WY Native

United States

#13 Feb 17, 2010
I left Riverton, WY 7 years ago and have wanted to move back ever since. I want to raise my 3 kids there...
Dee Henshaw

United States

#14 Mar 17, 2010
My daughter will be graduating from Forest High
Sch. in Louisiana next year. She wants to move to Riverton and go to school at CWC and study in the equine field. She will need a place to live and a part time job. Louisiana is a long way from Riverton, Wy. and I need information on how to make the transition. Any info would be much appreciated. email: diviabh78@yahoo.com

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#15 Mar 24, 2010
I have lived in both Riverton and Lander and like Lander best. I live there now. We are getting a new Safeway store that will really bring big city grocery shopping home to us. We can hardly wait. It has been a long time for some of us who moved from bigger places. We also have a first class coffee house again, after several tries and failures. Lander people are great. Most of the people that I know in Riverton wish that they lived here and visit to shop often.

Location hidden

#16 Mar 24, 2010
Dee Henshaw wrote:
My daughter will be graduating from Forest High
Sch. in Louisiana next year. She wants to move to Riverton and go to school at CWC and study in the equine field. She will need a place to live and a part time job. Louisiana is a long way from Riverton, Wy. and I need information on how to make the transition. Any info would be much appreciated. email: diviabh78@yahoo.com
Dee,
Drop me a post here, and I'll see what I can help out with. The CWC equine center is about 1/2 mile from my house. Great facility...great program as well.
:-)

Location hidden

#17 Mar 24, 2010
Breezy123 wrote:
I have lived in both Riverton and Lander and like Lander best. I live there now. We are getting a new Safeway store that will really bring big city grocery shopping home to us. We can hardly wait. It has been a long time for some of us who moved from bigger places. We also have a first class coffee house again, after several tries and failures. Lander people are great. Most of the people that I know in Riverton wish that they lived here and visit to shop often.
Yeah, I got the Grand Opening notice in the mail today in fact for the Safeway doings on the 31st.

I think I'll drive over, and have lunch at the Gannett while I'm there.
animal lover

Atlanta, GA

#18 Apr 27, 2010
Anonymous wrote:
I lived in Riverton for a good portion of my life. I no longer live there but I still consider Riverton my home. Even with that being said I would still suggest anyone planning on moving to Riverton to highly consider Lander instead, espcially a family intending on raising children. Lander always seemed more relaxing and safer then Riverton. The crime in Riverton per capita is similar if not higher then larger cities. I implore you to compare riverton to larger cities in the country: http://www.city-data.com/
i bet it is!
Just love WY

Ogema, WI

#20 Jun 10, 2010
I live 20 miles west of Riverton, in the Wind River School District.
I have had one son graduate from Wind River and the other will in a few years. Wind River is an EXCELLENT small school. With 4 day school weeks, Friday is optional for individual help or for kids with parents that work.

Check out the Valley of the Warm Winds. Winters are ALOT milder in the Pavillion area that Lander or Riverton.

Thanks and good luck!

Since: Sep 10

United States

#21 Sep 21, 2010
I lived there in the 90's. Great towns, great people, great times. Wish I could in back.

Since: Sep 10

United States

#22 Sep 21, 2010
*go

“STEEL MAGNOLIAS”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#23 Jun 14, 2011
I've lived in both Lander and Riverton. I'm currently living in Riverton, more access to stores with cheaper prices. Lots of Elementary schools and if you want to go to the mountains, Lander is only a half hour away! It's a good place. Some of the people aren't that great and I must say, people drive in Riverton like it was a big city or something. Other than that, there isn't much bad you can say about it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Riverton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wiley Murders in Thermopolis, wy (Jun '09) Oct 6 Wyodayakim 314
Police Blotter: Arrests; Mom snorting white sub... Oct 1 Riverton 1
Investigation of deadly Riverton fire continues (Jan '09) Sep '14 Diabhal 64
Pavillion Music Selection (Sep '12) Aug '14 Musikologist 9
Debate: Marijuana - Lander, WY (Apr '12) Jun '14 Michelle 10
Murder charge in Fremont cold case (May '08) Apr '14 Amy E 5
Jerry Bradish (Apr '08) Apr '14 Philly0416 3

High Wind Watch for Fremont County was issued at October 25 at 2:52AM MDT

Riverton Dating
Find my Match