Quality of Life in Jackson

Posted in the Ridgeland Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Kim

Woodruff, SC

#1 Mar 21, 2006
I'm considering a job opportunity in Jackson but I'm concerned about the high crime rate. I'm interested in personal views of Jackson residents as to the quality of life in your town. What are the positive and negative aspects of Jackson?
Heather Silas

Terry, MS

#2 Apr 21, 2006
Man I stay back and forth in from Jackson,MS to Mccomb,MS crime is everywhere and i am tired of people acting like crime is just in Jackson and no where else CRIME IS EVERYWHERE so please stp saying I am scared to move or go to Jackson because of the crime it just as much crime everywhere else I LOVE JACKSON and Jackson is fun and I am growing up in Jackson there are alot of things to do in Jackson people just focus on the crime.
Heather Silas,16
Heather Silas

Terry, MS

#3 Apr 21, 2006
Kim wrote:
I'm considering a job opportunity in Jackson but I'm concerned about the high crime rate. I'm interested in personal views of Jackson residents as to the quality of life in your town. What are the positive and negative aspects of Jackson?
Man I stay back and forth in from Jackson,MS to Mccomb,MS crime is everywhere and i am tired of people acting like crime is just in Jackson and no where else CRIME IS EVERYWHERE so please stp saying I am scared to move or go to Jackson because of the crime it just as much crime everywhere else I LOVE JACKSON and Jackson is fun and I am growing up in Jackson there are alot of things to do in Jackson people just focus on the crime.
Heather Silas,16
native

Jackson, MS

#4 May 31, 2006
Kim, if you can help it, move to the Jackson suburbs. Jackson is in a state of decay and is getting worse every week. You are literally not safe anywhere in the city.

I would suggest Rankin County (Flowood, Brandon) or Madison (not Ridgeland - too close to Jackson) but Madison the City.

There is nothing in Jackson that you can't get in the suburbs other than raped, mugged, carjacked or murdered.

Go to www.TheClarionledger.com which is the local newspaper and is very liberal so multiply whatever they say by 20. You will get a true idea of what Jackson has become.

Good luck in your move!
Laurin from Byram

United States

#5 Jul 5, 2006
I grew up in South Jackson and it really is getting bad now. The further north you go, the better the city. Ridgeland is okay, but I do agree with the Pearl respondant, Madison (the city) is best, though it is far more expensive to live there. I prefer to stay where I'm comfortable. Byram is just about 10 miles south of Jackson, between south Jackson and crystal Springs. It's a small community but very well respected and united. I hope this was some help.
DFA

San Antonio, TX

#6 Jul 5, 2006
Go to http://jacksonms.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm and you will see a comparison of Jackson crimes.
arlene

Fort Worth, TX

#7 Jul 6, 2006
Lived in Madison "annandale area" for thirteen years. A quiet area out of town yet close to anything you need. Thumbs up to the area and negative to the others
Jay

United States

#8 Jul 26, 2006
Kim

The quality of life in Jackson is good. Yes, there is crime. But as has been stated by others it is no worse than in other places. I have lived in Jackson for about 26 years and I still like it here. I am raising my teenage daughter here and has considered moving to further my career but my daughter wants to stay. She loves her school, our place of worship, her friends and other attractions in the capitol city. Life is usually what you make it. Sooooooooooo! don't listen to the poison that is being given out by surrounding areas. They all have there own agendas.
Mabel Bright

AOL

#9 Jul 27, 2006
Kim wrote:
Jackson can be a safe place to live, however Mayor Frank Melton, must allow the police Chief Shirlene Anderson, the opportunity to run the police department, without micro managing her. Unfortunately a lot of corrupt police officer's are left over from the old administration and have to be purged from the department. The citizens of Jackson are coming together as a whole, to take an wholistic approach to reducing crime, attracting new business, and putting a larger focus on education and after school programs. Mayor Frank Melton has done a superb job with beautification projects within the city, and reducing crime. As a citizen I must state that the population in Jackson has increased tremendously after Katrina and some of the higher crime rate can be attributed to that. I will say to you if you would like to move to jackson and be an effective part of the community and promote change, we will welcome you with our southern charm and generosity, however if you have reservations, consider visiting the area for a week in advance.
Emily Alexander

United States

#10 Dec 28, 2006
I am condsidering in a career job there next year. I have never heard that the crime rate was extrememly high. Should I be concern. But, there is crime everywhere in the world. So, whereever you go you just have to be careful where you locate.
Ridgeland

United States

#11 Dec 28, 2006
You don't want to live in Jackson if you move here. Ridgeland is a suburb of Jackson. It is safe. I agree with the advice the others gave.
GINO

United States

#12 Dec 31, 2006
TRAVEL VISIT THE MORE DIVERSE AREA'S OF THE COUNTRY, COME TO MS YOU TAKE A STEP BACKWARDS! IAM HEAR DUE TO KATRINA & LOVE IT...YA RIGHT! DIVERSITY TO THEM IS YOUR HUSBAND DRIVES A FORD PICK -UP & THE WIFE DRIVES A NISSAN ALTIMA, & THATS ONLY CAUSE SHE WORKS AT THE PLANT IN CANTON!
Ridgeland

United States

#13 Jan 6, 2007
Mississippi is actually one of the most diverse state's of the 50 according to the National Diversity Index. And we have more African-Americans here than any other state, despite false perceptions.
janet

Barnesville, OH

#14 Jun 11, 2007
the city of jackson is bad crime, its not getting better. also high taxes.
Randy

United States

#15 Jul 26, 2007
stay across the river. we are just a few miles across in rankin county and the crime rate is much less. and yes the murder and crime rate is very high.very high in auto theft aswell.i think they averages like ten a day....other than that central mississippi is a great place to live just outside the city limits of jackson that is
Jason

Memphis, TN

#16 Jul 28, 2007
Jackson crime is nothing compared to Memphis Tn Crime. Jackson is a very nice place compared.
Deee

Stratford, CT

#17 Aug 19, 2007
I have been living here 35 yrs since im a kid i do not see crime in jackson what? this is a good area thats really funny to hear I know its getting way to over developed no more farms but dont you mean Lakewood?? Dee
Deee

Stratford, CT

#18 Aug 19, 2007
this i thought is a forum for jackson NJ? not other jacksons in the usa because we dont have any crime here, besides the people coming in great adventure
Deee

Stratford, CT

#19 Aug 19, 2007
Ok now i relized i posted in the wrong jackson oh well cant erase it,
POP

United States

#20 Aug 19, 2007
I Grew up in south Jackson And I loved it. but I can not say I would live there now. The city is a mess now it is almost bankrupt and has a crime problem. The population of Jackson is over 75% black. I am not saying that is the reason for the problems but it was not that way when it was 75% white.Now call me what you will but those are the facts nothing more nouthing less.The truth sometimes hurts but it will set you free.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ridgeland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mississippi judge jails attorney for not reciti... (Oct '10) 15 hr Quit 1,991
Review: Jackson Lease Sales & Rentals (Jun '11) Sun Larry 12
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Sun Bently 19,559
Bryant protests immigrant children being housed... Dec 19 Creekman 27
Tea party leader arrested in Miss. Senate race ... Dec 17 Swedenforever 53
shawshank redemption Dec 15 observer 1
Total Transportation a TOTAL POS Company Dec 14 Ex driver 10
Ridgeland Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web