Local World War II Veteran Fights Homeowner's Association - wtvr

Full story: WTVR

Since this saga began, it's been played out on the radio from Washington D.C. to Boston, but many believe what is happening to this true American hero is tarnishing the image of Richmond.
Comments
1 - 20 of 3,840 Comments Last updated Mar 4, 2012
First Prev
of 192
Next Last
mike

Chesterfield, VA

#1 Dec 2, 2009
I live in Sussex, which is almost adjacent to Sussex Square. I had no idea how close this was to home until now, though, that doesn't really matter. Colonel, I wish you good luck in your fight!
John

Petersburg, VA

#2 Dec 2, 2009
It is truly sad that he has to fight this. Come on he has got the highest medal anyone can get! He has earned his right above and beyond to have the flag up. God bless and thank you Colonel for your service!
va_tazdad

Richmond, VA

#3 Dec 2, 2009
These local "community associations" need to realize they are not the final authority and that as Americans people have rights that they cannot take away just because they want to.

I doubt they are the "patriotic" citizens they claim to be or they would never show disrespect to a Medal of Honor recipient as they have by their actions. They should be ashamed that they are taking a 90 year old war hero that has received our country’s highest honor to court!

Good luck and best wishes Colonel.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Pete

Midlothian, VA

#4 Dec 2, 2009
Community associations exist to preserve the beauty and value of a neighborhood for homeowners from people who degrade their properties...many take these rules to the extreme. The American Flag is NOT something that degrades our neighborhoods!!!! It needs to be displayed properly with honor and respect. The colonel is right in regards to the manor of display. And rules of any community association can be ammended for exceptions. For this soldier and defender of our freedoms who loves his country and has given of himself more than anyone else in that dang neighborhood, he should have the right for his remaining years with us to honor and display our flag as he knows how.
Good luck, best wishes, and God bless Colonel...thank you for your service!

Hmmmm...imagining the white house or capital with a wall mounted flagpole off the front porticos...REDICULOUS.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Richard

White Stone, VA

#5 Dec 2, 2009
Poor Colonel... he fought for this country lost blood for this country now lives in a communist neighborhood. Dig in Colonel and continue your fight screw that yuppie neighborhood watch.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Art Ashton

Vancouver, WA

#6 Dec 2, 2009
Shame on you Sussex Square Homeowner's Association, how un-patriotic can you get, how can you ever show disrespect to a Medal of Honor recipient as you have by your actions. You should be knocking on his door everyday, thanking him for his service to this great country we live in. You should be ashamed for the disrespect you have shown a 90 year old war hero that has received our country’s highest honor. Apologize right now and show up in the morning to honor the flag as he raises it. You should make it a requirement for every home to have a flag pole with a flag on display every day.

Good luck and best wishes Colonel. Thank you for your service to this country. How many of those association members offered their life to pay for the freedoms we enjoy everyday. That is what you did when you went to fight for us. Not just once, but three different wars. God Bless You.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Just a Guy Chester

United States

#7 Dec 3, 2009
does a flag pole really ruin the value of the neighborhood. I can not understand homeowners associations that feel they have to have their heads so far up everybody's backsides that they can't see the bigger picture. I live in a neighborhood with out an association and you know something everyone takes care of their homes because they own them. I do not care what someone does in their yard, and I will be damned if they are going to tell me what to do in mine.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Comunista simpatico

Richmond, VA

#8 Dec 3, 2009
Covenants are there for a reason. I support the community association on this one. If we let some nut misuse patriotism to break the rules, then every nut will want to disobey the rules.

Teach our kids some sense of rules and responsibility. Stop this nut from breaking the rules.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Northern Liberal

Glen Allen, VA

#9 Dec 3, 2009
Leave this man alone. He didn't need permission to fight in 3 wars & he shouldn't need permission to install a proper flag pole on his property, ESPECIALLY since your rules are silent to this fact. Having moved from an area where the overwhelming majority of property owners had these poles, I know they cost upwards of a couple thousand dollars to install. For a group of people worried about aesthetics & property values, they should realize that the pole is SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than the plastic pole attached to the plastic houses in the bubble in which they reside. Structures like these actually INCREASE the value of the property upon sale.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
thank you colonel

Powhatan, VA

#10 Dec 3, 2009
How on earth does an American flag disgrace an piece of property? My grandfather is also a living veteran who fought in WWII. He proudly flies an American flag in his front yard as well.
To you Colonel, thank you for your service. I hope that this resolves itself quickly, and you are able to fly your flag the way it is meant to be flown.
Tobi

Richmond, VA

#11 Dec 3, 2009
That fact that an American needs permission to have a flagpole on his own land is the problem.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Freedom is not free

Amelia Court House, VA

#12 Dec 3, 2009
I plan to drive by and fly a flag in this nieghborhood all day Friday evening. I will drive up and down the streets of this place in my pickup with the highest flag pole I can raise and protest these ingnorant careless nieghbors. People you have expressed you opions here... Lets take them to the battle field at Sussex Square Homeowners Assossiation!!! Someone tell us where this place is so we can all go and show some support for one of the few heros we have!!! THe news just reported the deadline is this FRIDAY Dec 4! Lets be there to make sure that this injustice is reversed!!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
A Soldier

United States

#13 Dec 3, 2009
Comunista simpatico

It is obvious that you have not served in our military. Regardless of that, what you need to recognize is that there are certain implied rights and privileges associated with it. Are you aware that regardless of rank, this man is to be saluted by all men in uniform now and at anytime in his life? In fact, it is protocol for the President of the U.S. to do the same. Perhaps, you should teach you children some military protocol and history. In so doing, you might just teach them about the distribution of rules, discipline, and honor of a whole new level. I assure you Comunista simpatico, we as soldiers have learned—and earned--much more respect in this life than you have in yours. Regardless of your covenants, this man is entitled to an extended courtesy. He has earned it; and he had been backed by Congress. Such individuals are living monuments to your Country. Respect them accordingly.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Brian Colonial Heights

United States

#14 Dec 3, 2009
I think the person from the association who will not come out and meet the press to discuss this should show his or her face and present their Medal of Honor for everyone to see, because obviously they must have one, or they would just shut their mouth and go away and realize not only are they making themselves loo0k bad bad but now this is a nationwide story and they are tarnishing the reputation of Richmond! Col. Barfoot, veterans and all active serving military personel I just want to say thank you for your service. Stand Tall and Proud Col.
Thank you Col Barfoot

Fredericksburg, VA

#15 Dec 3, 2009
We, the American People need to get a grip. We are slowly allowing our rights to be a free people to be taken from us. When something offends someone, a new law is passed. We need to learn to be tolerent of each other. The right to display our countries flag, whether it is hanging from a porch or from a flag pole should never be questioned. Your community association should be ashame of themselves.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Mark O

Manassas, VA

#16 Dec 3, 2009
I saw this on Headline News earlier this morning. The Sussex Square Homeowners Association should be ashamed of themselves. In a time when the nation is at war is this the way to treat one of most decorated vetern's? Or any veteran for that matter? While the homeowners statement claims this is not about the flag ... but it is and they need cease this foolishness.

Colonel (Retired) Barfoot's flagpole from the pictures I saw is "asethetically appropriate" and with the flag flying pays respect to the country.
Sir, thank you for your service. God Bless you.
Rick Henson

United States

#17 Dec 3, 2009
Reason # 74 not to live in an area run by a housing association.

I am definitely disagreeing with any post that I have read on this subject. My disagreement comes with the tactics recommended to fight this battle. My concept is that everyone in the neighborhood should be asked to vote on changing the rules of the association. The # 1 problem with these associations is that they are supposed to be run by the majority of the resident's opinions in the housing area when in fact they are typically run by 5 tight ass individuals who happened to have moved in first and want to ensure that everything is to their liking vice the liking of the majority. Get the vote out inside this community. If the majority of the people in the community agree that the flagpole shouldn't be there then it is time to move to a real patriotic neighborhood where the Colonel get the respect he deserves. If the Colonel needs any financial assistance in finding more suitable quarters, I challenge everyone reading this blog to donate $20 to the cause. I will pledge $20 for the cause to start it out. And no, I am not going to steal your money. Don't send me your money. If enough people respond to me that they are willing to do so and Colonel Barfoot would like to pursue this as an option then I will assist in setting up the fund legitimately. This has not been done at this time. If you would like to volunteer your support or discuss this further, contact me @ kookooman67@yahoo.com

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Sonny Williams

Glen Allen, VA

#18 Dec 3, 2009
Colonel Barfoot thank you for you service to our country . I stand behind your fight to display the flag and I would be proud to have you as a neighbor . If you choose to relocate to another housing complex I would be honored to assist you in any way . Fly the flag high and proud !!
GOD BLESS THE USA !!!
Tired of this

Mechanicsville, VA

#19 Dec 3, 2009
He knew the rules when he moved in. Take it down or move somewhere that allows flagpoles. This is why I did my research BEFORE I moved into my current home. I don't agree with most homeowner association rules which is why I live in an area that doesn't have one!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jim Martin

Roanoke, VA

#20 Dec 3, 2009
Wonder where and how the concerned citizens on the HOA think they would be living today without people like Co. Barfoot. I would be proud to have him for a neighbor and would not give a hoot in hell what he flew on the flag pole in HIS yard.

Vinton, VA.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 192
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why They Hate Obama (Aug '13) 7 hr RVA 11,728
Scumbag having affair with staff member 12 hr roundpicvic 2
Huge Asteroid to Hit The Earth 17 hr jkkk 2
Hidden building at Byrd Park Sun jkkk 2
Higher gas prices expected after refinery fire (Aug '12) Aug 29 Tuco Blondie 10
SOL scores a mixed bag for area schools Aug 28 Rife 1
Debate: Marijuana - Richmond, VA (Aug '10) Aug 28 salvismorey 114
•••
•••
•••