Crash on Rte. 347 leaves driver critical

Full story: Newsday.com

A Queens man and his passenger were injured, the driver critically, when the 2006 Toyota they were in flipped and crashed into a utility pole late Tuesday on Route 347 in Lake Grove, police said.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 31 of31
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jun 08

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2008

Judged:

Someone Who Knows wrote:
<quoted text>
I do like how you ignored my previous post as if it weren't there, since it is the only post that counters yours with a similar if not identical level of grammar and spelling. Making fun of San24's use of the term "hydropooled" is even less "prudent" (as you referred to the driver's speed at the time of the accident), as we can all guess that he/she was referring to "hydroplaning." You also should have guessed, Death Race, that the driver had passed away from San24's post as well, even if we pretend that you hadn't read mine. If you were unable to determine that simple fact, then you shouldn't have the audacity to poke fun at the posts of others and the situation as a whole. I may be the only sympathetic writer here with the patience to calmly address you, Slappy Sanchez, Brookhaven John, and any other individual who has the gall to treat death lightly. It would be unscrupulous to wish the same fate upon one of your loved ones, so I will refrain from doing so, but I ask that you think again before typing words of sarcasm and making childish jabs at people who retain a greater knowledge and higher authority to speak about the situation than you will ever have.
Someone Who Knows wrote:
DR, while your assumption of the situation is plausible, it does not substantiate what actually happened. There is no evidence that he was speeding. Calling the driver a moron is a telling display of your character, or rather, lack thereof. SS is not even worth addressing due to his grossly conceived sarcastic comment. The driver is now deceased. If that does not make you take a step back and reconsider what you said, then maybe you should have been the one hitting the utility pole.
I apologize for not responding and allow me to do so now although I thought my previous post covered the bases with regard to your post. There were no follow-up articles about anyone’s condition so we really don’t know if anyone died.
The evidence that he was speeding or otherwise traveling excessively fast is clear in the fact that the car flipped. This was a single car crash which had no external forces working on it’s mass to cause it to flip. Perhaps he wasn’t traveling above the posted speed, but he must have been going too fast for road conditions at that time. Cars are designed to withstand a fair amount of physical force above what would be experienced during normal driving conditions. This car underwent something extreme and science doesn’t lie. We do know this happened at night when it’s dark. That’s a clue to slow down. If the car did hydroplane first it must have been raining which is another good reason to slow down. Maybe he was tired in which case he should have pulled off the road to rest. There is no excuse for flipping a car in a single car crash, not one.
This is no laughing matter as these are the same people we share the roads with. It bothers me to great extent when I hear of innocent people being hurt/killed by drivers who made “mistakes” that could have been avoided. I make damn sure I adjust accordingly to driving condition not so much for my benefit, but for the benefit of my family, friends and yes, you and yours. If I were to hurt/kill an innocent person in a crash I would deserve being ridiculed and belittled. If I were to crash all alone due to my own carelessness and die, I would expect nothing less than to be called a moron.
If you really think that my observing these things all the time, getting pi55ed off and ridiculing the drivers who endanger us all warrants me hitting a tree then so be it. Just pray that you or someone you know and love is not in the way.

“Slappy X. Sanchez, Esq.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2008

Judged:

Falcon06 wrote:
San is right..the driver died after a week in a hospital..he was a real close friend of mines and you have no idea how much pain I'm going through right now knowing I'm never going to see him again..You (sanchez) go bury one of your best friends and then see if you come back with the same disgusting hate your throwing at him.. He died from hydroplaning and it's something that rarely happens. He wasn't speeding either that night.. It was bad luck and timing..God bless his soul and his family
The likelihood of hydroplaning increases with the speed of the vehicle and the depth of the water. Tread wear and underinflation also increase the risk for hydroplaning, as do wider tires. Narrower tires are less vulnerable to hydroplaning because the vehicle weight is distributed over a smaller rubber contact patch, resulting in a greater ability for the tires to press water to the sides, allowing tire contact with pavement. The best strategy is to avoid as many contributors to hydroplaning as is possible. Proper tire pressure, narrow and unworn tires, and reduced speeds from those judged suitably moderate in the dry will mitigate the risk of hydroplaning. Avoidance of standing water is another effective prevention strategy.

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2008

Judged:

Slappy Sanchez wrote:
<quoted text>
The likelihood of hydroplaning increases with the speed of the vehicle and the depth of the water. Tread wear and underinflation also increase the risk for hydroplaning, as do wider tires. Narrower tires are less vulnerable to hydroplaning because the vehicle weight is distributed over a smaller rubber contact patch, resulting in a greater ability for the tires to press water to the sides, allowing tire contact with pavement. The best strategy is to avoid as many contributors to hydroplaning as is possible. Proper tire pressure, narrow and unworn tires, and reduced speeds from those judged suitably moderate in the dry will mitigate the risk of hydroplaning. Avoidance of standing water is another effective prevention strategy.
So what your saying is to be a responsible driver and this won‘t happen. How beneficent and magnanimous.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2008

Judged:

Death Race wrote:
<quoted text>
So what your saying is to be a responsible driver and this won‘t happen. How beneficent and magnanimous.
Yes. I will most certainly be bashed by suggesting that we all take some personal responsibility for our actions. Obviously some people are not familiar with the laws of cause and effect. Let me give a quick lesson.

Cause: The boy kicked the ball.
Effect: The ball rolled.

Cause: Sally studied hard for a test.
Effect: Sally scored an "A" on her test.

Cause: Mary teased the cat.
Effect: The cat scratched Mary.

Cause: The idiot was driving recklessly in the rain.
Effect: He's pushing daises now.

Any questions?

“Brandon killed 4-4-06”

Since: Jul 08

Cobleskill, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2008

Death Race wrote:
<quoted text>
Facts are straight. The car flipped. It takes excessive speed/force to do that. I feel for the passenger if he was completely innocent and had no idea this moron would do that. As for the driver, too bad he wasn't all alone to kill himself. Care to go another round?
Well said..

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2008

Judged:

Slappy Sanchez wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. I will most certainly be bashed by suggesting that we all take some personal responsibility for our actions. Obviously some people are not familiar with the laws of cause and effect. Let me give a quick lesson.
Any questions?
Slappy, that is so simple that even a child can understand. What do you suggest we do for adults? While you like the laws of cause and effect, I tend to lean towards the laws of physics which are also simple and straightforward. Perhaps part of a new licensing requirement should be a working knowledge of both.
As for now, I must depart and drive to Manhattan all the while applying these laws to my driving. As a result, I shall return unscathed without hurting others.

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2008

Judged:

Maryann Dunlavey wrote:
<quoted text>Well said..
Thank you.
Enforcement Needed Now

Mesquite, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2008

RT-347 is a very dangerous road at night ! In the
1990's I was almost killed there by a kid that went to sleep at the wheel ! The county needs to
provide more traffic enforcement ! This the only way your going to save lives !

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2008

Judged:

Enforcement Needed Now wrote:
1990's I was almost killed there by a kid that went to sleep at the wheel ! The county needs to
Yes, because the County is responsible for making sure people stay awake at the wheel.

One thing the County CAN do is start exterminating stupid people.

I like my idea better than yours.

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2008

Judged:

Slappy Sanchez wrote:
<quoted text>
Any questions?
Slappy, that is so simple that even a child can understand. What do you suggest we do for adults? While you like the laws of cause and effect, I tend to lean towards the laws of physics which are also simple and straightforward. Perhaps part of a new licensing requirement should be a working knowledge of both.
I just got back frm Manhattan all the while applying these laws to my driving. As a result, I returned unscathed without hurting others. This however was not the case for the moron who entered the HOV lane where they weren’t supposed to, clipped a car and went into the wall. What a moron! I had to laugh although I feel bad for the guy who did nothing wrong.

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2008

Judged:

Enforcement Needed Now wrote:
You’ve proven the point that the road isn’t dangerous, it’s the drivers.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 31 of31
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Richmond-Hill News Video

•••
Richmond-Hill Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Richmond-Hill Jobs

•••
•••
•••