Proposed parking ordinance changes towing & booting in Rexburg

Oct 22, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KIDK TV

The city of Rexburg is working toward finding a solution for the decade long problem of parking at BYU-Idaho student apartments.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8
Zac

Boise, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2009

Judged:

Here is an Example for you. And by the way this is my personal story. I went on a date. Drove her back to her apartment. Parked, and walked her to her door. Her room mates wanted to meet me, what was I to say? So I step in. Talk to them then tell them I have to get going. That lasted about 10-15 minutes. Walk to my car and thereís a boot on my tire. Can you believe it. You canít even walk a girl to her door any more without the fear of the $40 fine that will come. Pathetic. They charge you additional money for the length of time the boot is on your car. They tape a paper on your window to contact them to pay them to remove the boot. The contact number doesnít have the area code on it. I donít know about you but Iím not from Idaho. I donít know Rexburgs area code. Most of the other kids hear are not from Rexburg either. So I have to find some one that knows the area code so I can call the guy so he will stop timing how long the boot has been on my car. All just so I can drop off my date at her door. Donít burden your business by allowing jerks like this guy to tick everyone off. If you are using them or will use them make him wait at least 30 min before charging money. Its not hard for him heís already timing from the second he puts that boot on. Have a heart would you really want a guy to just drop your daughter off at the curb and not have the decency to walk her to her door? Come On!!
Steven Pope

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2009

Zac wrote:
That lasted about 10-15 minutes. Walk to my car and thereís a boot on my tire. Can you believe it. You canít even walk a girl to her door any more without the fear of the $40 fine that will come.
That really sucks.

Want to be interviewed about this on channel 3 news? I'd love to cover your story, toss me an email at stevenp@kidk.com and post your phone number so I can contact you.
Steven Pope

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2009

And I have no idea why it says Seattle WA next to my name, but I'm in the Rexburg area.
And

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

So you couldn't find a legal plae to park to walk her to her door? You can't find out what the local area code is by asking your date?(since the area code is for most of Idaho, it shouldn't be too hard to find).
I was living in an apartment in Arlington, VA, and my uncle came to visit. He parked in the parking lot (there weren't any signs telling him not to apparently), and when he got in the door we told him he had to move his car. It was too late, he had already been towed. You couldn't park on the street without living in the area either. We had to walk to the tow-lot (I didn't have a car) to find they wouldn't take a check, or credit card-anything that would give you a record that they towed your car, only cash. We had to search the area for an all-night ATM to get some cash so he could get his car, and then had to find a legal place for him to park, about 4 blocks from where I lived.
Apartment complexes have every right to protect their parking lots. I never had a problem in Rexburg finding a place to legally park to take my date home. It might have been a little longer walk, but it gave a little more time to talk, and are we really getting that lazy?
Informed

Rexburg, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2010

Get involved in Rexburg City Council and fight predatory towing!
Janice

Redding, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2012

I live in California and I get a call last Saturday morning from a guy from a tow company in Rexburg about my Nissan.I went into "Mom Panic Mode" knowing my daughter (a BYU-I student) had just came off a Graveyard shift. What happened? Is my daughter alright?.... The young man, who dismissed my concerns,proceeds to tell me he has had the car impounded for months and wanted to know when I was going to pay the over $ 700.00 in fees. He said it was towed for a parking violation. I got his number and called my daughter. She had been afraid to tell me, dodging the high volume never-ending lecture she knew she'd get.
It was a Friday night and was spending the at a girlfriends' apartment which her roommates knew,and she parked in visitors parking,and the resident manager knew the girls are good friends and do this regularly. My daughter cried to me " Mom,I followed the rules!" My anger was gone.She didn't even realize there was a per day storage fee til I told her what the bill is now(which I can not pay).
Now,I am not an LDS member and don't pretend to understand or even agree with all the "rules",but I support my daughters choice and believed the "HONOR CODE" to be resonable, but if local "codes" allow a tow company to boot & tow cars they come across just because they "believe someone is violating the Honor Code" I need to re-evaluateif living in Rexburg and attending BYU-I, is really in my daughers' best intrest.
Reader

Rexburg, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2012

Rexburg city needs to relax, they are constantly prowling for an excuse to get into trouble. They are trying to be "superior" to Provo, they are going in the opposite direction, and are turning more into a hell, with the city council president becoming the Devil, taking peoples agency to have fun away. Crosswalks need to be painted where students actually walk (from tusacny to across the street, its a direct line to campus that way), texting when your even near a cross walk can get you in trouble! I had walked, and was finishing a text, stopped on the corner near the street, then security stops and says next time is a 50 dollar warning, and I wasnt even in the street! This place is crazy!
Rexburg Citizen

Rexburg, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2014

Apartment complexes have the power to say no. If they don't want towing they can get rid of it and booting. All they have to do is tell the booters not to come by anymore.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Rexburg Discussions

Search the Rexburg Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Review: Bill's Bike And Run Rexburg Jul 15 Poor Service 1
ID Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Idaho in ... (Oct '10) Dec '13 Keith 4
Power Out for Most of Upper Snake River Valley (Dec '09) Dec '13 Paige 7
Debate: Gay Marriage - Rexburg, ID (Aug '12) Aug '13 MissFit 6
Review: Salon Evolution LLC (Jul '13) Jul '13 Elena Phillips 1
Review: Hickory The (Jan '13) Apr '13 knowitall 3
Straight Talk: Young husband's cheating is agon... (Mar '12) Feb '13 tfwnogfr9k 3
•••

Fire Weather Watch for Madison County was issued at July 22 at 2:55AM MDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Rexburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Rexburg People Search