Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
126,821 - 126,840 of 200,366 Comments Last updated 20 hrs ago
Anonymous

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

Bill Of Rights wrote:
<quoted text>
And then the anti-gay side appealed that decision and a higher court also ruled Prop 8 Unconstitutional! And they appealed once again,are you ready for the 3rd court to uphold Judge Walkers original decision of Prop 8 being Unconstitutional?Odds are they will! Not to mention a California court has just also declared DOMA Unconstitutional at the state level but that is just a prelude of things to come nationally! As well as other courts in the U.S. also having declared parts of DOMA Unconstitutional,can you see the writing on the wall yet? LOL
The Federal 9th District Court in San Francisco is the least trusted and least believable in America. Even the Supreme Court slaps most of their decisions down because of their wackiness. Judge Walker will be slapped back down by the Justice Roberts and the conservative majority SCOTUS.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
List of U.S. state constitutional amendments banning same-sex unions by type
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._sta...
California Proposition 8 was declared unconstitutional by Vaughn R. Walker, chief judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, on August 4, 2010, in Perry v. Schwarzenegger, but his ruling was put on hold pending a request for a stay the same day.[5]
<quoted text>
I got off this thread because of all the gays in denial and the shrill proclamations made. Like you, I know that America does NOT want gay marriage. No state has voted for gay marriage, including the ones that have gay marriage today. In every state where it was put to a vote, it was soundly defeated. It is NOT a civil right for gays to be married, but all men and women can be married in a marriage. Sexual preference does not equal racial discrimination.

The American People will never allow gay marriage to take hold. ABC has published a dishonest poll showing over 50% of Americans in support, but does not reveal that only 1004 people were polled. Gays using dishonesty to sway public opinion is a losing strategy.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

_Reality Speaks_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I got off this thread because of all the gays in denial and the shrill proclamations made. Like you, I know that America does NOT want gay marriage. No state has voted for gay marriage, including the ones that have gay marriage today. In every state where it was put to a vote, it was soundly defeated. It is NOT a civil right for gays to be married, but all men and women can be married in a marriage. Sexual preference does not equal racial discrimination.
The American People will never allow gay marriage to take hold. ABC has published a dishonest poll showing over 50% of Americans in support, but does not reveal that only 1004 people were polled. Gays using dishonesty to sway public opinion is a losing strategy.
I guess we will see if your voting trend continues.....but somehow I doubt it will. Washington and Maine more than likely will pass their Marriage Equality at the ballot box......and so could Maryland.......we will have to wait and see.

As for your comment about the right to marry taking hold.....it already has and it will continue to grow just like interracial marriage did in the late 60's and beyond.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
The Federal 9th District Court in San Francisco is the least trusted and least believable in America. Even the Supreme Court slaps most of their decisions down because of their wackiness. Judge Walker will be slapped back down by the Justice Roberts and the conservative majority SCOTUS.
First.......the Perry case has to get out of the 9th before being appealed to SCOTUS.

Secondly....Because of how the 9th worded their ruling......SCOTUS AIN'T gonna even hear the case!!!

Sorry, but it will have to be another case that SCOTUS will have to rule on!!!
El Burrito Grande

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your point? There are 18,000 legally married Same-Sex Couples who have valid California marriage licenses......those marriages remain valid, legal and recognized in spite of Prop 8......and Prop 8 has been ruled UNCONSTITUTIONAL not only by Judge
Walker, but also by an appeals panel of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in February of 2012.
And how many times has the SCOTUS overturned 9th circuit rulings? The 9th circuit just had two of their rulings overturned within the last month or so. The 9th circuit is the laughing stock of the U.S. Appeals Courts. But then, what would you expect from very far left CA judges?

Since: Jan 12

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

El Burrito Grande wrote:
<quoted text>And how many times has the SCOTUS overturned 9th circuit rulings? The 9th circuit just had two of their rulings overturned within the last month or so. The 9th circuit is the laughing stock of the U.S. Appeals Courts. But then, what would you expect from very far left CA judges?
Supporting gay marriage is a VERY conservative position to day dipsh*t. The term and meaning of the word conservative has been twisted by Republicans. Funny how you right wingers "claim" to hate government but it's ok for government to interfere in people's LIFES

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

RnL2008 wrote:
Your point? There are 18,000 legally married Same-Sex Couples who have valid California marriage licenses......those marriages remain valid, legal and recognized in spite of Prop 8......and Prop 8 has been ruled UNCONSTITUTIONAL not only by Judge
Walker, but also by an appeals panel of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in February of 2012.
I think if the Supreme Court hears Proposition 8 case they will rule in favor of gay marriage by a 5-4 dissension. If the Supreme Court doesn't hear the case which could very likely happen gay marriage licenses will once again be allowed in California.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess we will see if your voting trend continues.....but somehow I doubt it will. Washington and Maine more than likely will pass their Marriage Equality at the ballot box......and so could Maryland.......we will have to wait and see.
As for your comment about the right to marry taking hold.....it already has and it will continue to grow just like interracial marriage did in the late 60's and beyond.
It will pass in Maryland thanks to Obama. We in the gay community must repay Obama for all he has done by voting for him in 2012. Obama MUST win in 2012.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/24/mary...

The poll notes that the shift can be explained "almost entirely" by a change in black voters' attitudes. Previously, 56 percent said they would vote against the new law, with 39 percent saying they would vote for uphold it. Now, 55 percent say they will vote for the law and 36 percent are opposed.

President Barack Obama came out for gay marriage between the polls, amid rising support for same-sex unions.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

_Reality Speaks_ wrote:
It is NOT a civil right for gays to be married,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving_v._Virgin...

In its decision, the court wrote:
“Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival....
Anonymous

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
First.......the Perry case has to get out of the 9th before being appealed to SCOTUS.
Secondly....Because of how the 9th worded their ruling......SCOTUS AIN'T gonna even hear the case!!!
Sorry, but it will have to be another case that SCOTUS will have to rule on!!!
SCOTUS is 5-4 conservative ideology. The gays lost already.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_of...
It is popularly accepted that Chief Justice Roberts and Justices Scalia, Thomas, and Alito comprise the Court's conservative wing. Justices Ginsburg and Breyer are generally thought of as the Court's liberal wing; after one term on the Court, Justice Sotomayor is also seen as a member of the liberal wing, voting much as her predecessor, Justice Souter, might have voted.[84][85] Justice Anthony Kennedy, generally considered a conservative who "occasionally vote[s] with the liberals",[87] is often the swing vote that determines the outcome of close cases.[88]

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
SCOTUS is 5-4 conservative ideology. The gays lost already.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_of...
It is popularly accepted that Chief Justice Roberts and Justices Scalia, Thomas, and Alito comprise the Court's conservative wing. Justices Ginsburg and Breyer are generally thought of as the Court's liberal wing; after one term on the Court, Justice Sotomayor is also seen as a member of the liberal wing, voting much as her predecessor, Justice Souter, might have voted.[84][85] Justice Anthony Kennedy, generally considered a conservative who "occasionally vote[s] with the liberals",[87] is often the swing vote that determines the outcome of close cases.[88]
You are wrong again dipsh*t. Justice Anthony Kennedy is pro-gay rights. And I love it how you say "conservative" is against gay rights. Being conservative means you are for LIMITED GOVERNMENT IN PEOPLE'S LIFES! What would I expect from some uneducated white trash tea bagger retard.
RiccardoFire

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever heard of BISEXUALITY? This would explain Chaz's girlfriends sexual orientation.
so she was born to go either way. she can be a lesbian one day and then straight the next all with the help of medical surgery. How should we reward the bi sexual? Maybe they should be able to vote twice.
RiccardoFire

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

Wat the Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
It will pass in Maryland thanks to Obama. We in the gay community must repay Obama for all he has done by voting for him in 2012. Obama MUST win in 2012.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/24/mary...
The poll notes that the shift can be explained "almost entirely" by a change in black voters' attitudes. Previously, 56 percent said they would vote against the new law, with 39 percent saying they would vote for uphold it. Now, 55 percent say they will vote for the law and 36 percent are opposed.
President Barack Obama came out for gay marriage between the polls, amid rising support for same-sex unions.
what a freaking loser as if gay marriage is the biggest issue, you would have supported hitler if he said gay marriage. It's people like you that make the country go down hill. The gay issue is being used for a distraction from all his other corrupt scandals
Frank Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

Wat the Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
Supporting gay marriage is a VERY conservative position to day dipsh*t. The term and meaning of the word conservative has been twisted by Republicans. Funny how you right wingers "claim" to hate government but it's ok for government to interfere in people's LIFES
Yes. True conservatives support same sex marriage. Some contemporary conservatives supporting it are Dick Cheney and Colin Powell.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
All presidents make calculated moves. It goes with the territory.
You must be kidding me. He has calculated that the tide is turning against you bigots. Keep whining about it. I need a good laugh at your expense.
Yawn.. Enjoy your bought vote, he won't do any more for you in his second term than he has this one.

Have fun making an a$$ out of yourself.

You remind me a lot of all the idiots screaming- I won't have to worry about my mortgage, I won't have to worry about putting gas in my car, I won't have to worry about groceries- if only we elect Obama..
Faith

Glendale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>what a freaking loser as if gay marriage is the biggest issue, you would have supported hitler if he said gay marriage. It's people like you that make the country go down hill. The gay issue is being used for a distraction from all his other corrupt scandals
Yep, these losers, including Obama, will support beastialiy next. Obama bin laden would support anything to keep his useless, unqualified azz in the White House.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

Wat the Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
What the f*ck are you talking about? Slavery is banned in the US Constitution and the US Constitution applies to all us states. If any state where to bring back slavery they would be invaded by federal troops in like ten seconds.
I guess you can't read..

Why don't you start with Article V of the Constitution..

BTW, I know you think you are smart deleting the rest of my post where I explained it to you.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably not but there's no doubt I have more than you.
LOL!!!
You keep telling yourself that..
BIG DUMP

Scotts Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, these losers, including Obama, will support beastialiy next. Obama bin laden would support anything to keep his useless, unqualified azz in the White House.
Gloop.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

The Great Sly_Clyde wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what in the fluck you are smoking, but you need to stop. You best check with a constitutional lawyer you be on drugs. Laws on slavery are the law of this nation, short of secession from the Union, each state will hold to the Constitution!
So it is your claim that if 2/3rd's of the States proposed and 3/4th's of the States ratified an Amendment to appeal the 13th Amendment, slavery would not become legal in the States?

You really need to go back to school..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Redwood City News Video

•••
Redwood City Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Redwood City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••