Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,187

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story
Truth Speaker

London, UK

#130993 Mar 3, 2012
Nytebreid wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you CERTAIN you want that? After all... what will the argument be?
Religion - nope
"It's gross" - nope
"It's not natural" - nope
Procreation - nope
There is not one valid reason to deny gay marriage. So be careful what you wish for.
The reason that you gays will always lose, is because you are stupid.

That is why two straights are representing your interest.

You don't get it, we are defending Prop 8, and you are trying to overturn it.
You gays have forgotten, the CSSC upheld Prop 8.

Our defense is simple.
1. On Nov. 5, 2008 it became law.

Now, you as a plaintiff have to formulate a cause of action.

Just libertard judges simply said " Between June 2008 and Nov 2008, the CSSC allows same sex marriage, in violation of the laws governing the initiative process.
Based on that violation, gays were allowed to marry.
So, when the people followed the law, they prevented further gays from violating the legal process and for that, the law violated the rights of gays.

The problem with most of you gays is that you act like children, and you have no legal argument for same sex marriage.

Bottom line, sexual orientation is not a suspect class.
Prop 8 does not violate federal law, it is the product of it, DOMA.
DOMA remains law.
Prop 8 does not violate the California constitution, it is the state constitution concerning marriage.

Please remember all of this. You all forgot these things, and don't understand why you are not allowed to get married.
Truth Speaker

London, UK

#130994 Mar 3, 2012
Nytebreid wrote:
44 states don't allow it because of laws that are doomed to be ruled unconstitutional. There is another article in this forum about how the anti-gay legislation has had the ironic affect of bolstering support for the GLBT's. Multiple recent polls are indicating that over half of the population now supports glbt marriage.
By the way, you can drop the "family" argument now. I'm straight, everyone in my family (that I know of) is straight... and we proudly support same-sex marriage. There is not one shred of an argument that gays getting married will "hurt families."
Now - please address my question - what will the argument be if this does reach the USSC?
Keep dreaming and one day you will wake up and realize that the whole world knows that gays have the same rights as pedophiles and polygamist.
You drop the sane appearance, you are gay and you do not fool any one.

Yes, your polls also said that 57% of Californians opposed Prop 8, and you were deceived about that.

Pay attention to this and maybe you won't commit gay suicide:
44 states do not allow same sex marriage

33 states have state constitutional bans on same sex marriage.

Do you understand what that means?
It means that if you get 100% of the available states, you will have only 17 states

or 34% of the U.S. with 67% opposed.

right now, you have the possibility of 10 states or 20% of the United States.

You have lost, and the game has just begun. It is only a matter of how bad you will lose.

Now, go get reparative therapy, and address your homosexuality. Children are scared.

You really are lost.
Truth Speaker

London, UK

#130995 Mar 3, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You think that I think all people are missionaries? Have you been to China? Have you been to Vietnam?
I think you should step out of the crawl space, hide your eyes at first (it will be bright) and go with the nice men in the white coats. Who's a good boy?
Yes. yes. Would you like to add some more countries to that list. My parents never abandoned me. I guess you were not so good. Is your therapist calling you again, or is that your dad you are trying to find? No, most people have good parents. Sucks to be you.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#130996 Mar 3, 2012
Truth Speaker wrote:
<quoted text>The reason that you gays will always lose, is because you are stupid.
You're missing the point entirely. The reason that you men will always lose is because you are stupid. We only need your semen. You will be penned and milked liked cows in no more than 50 years. Lesbians will rule your Earth very soon. Evolution, dude.

“Your religion is NOT in charge”

Since: Nov 11

Columbus

#130997 Mar 3, 2012
Would you like to talk about DOMA the future of DOMA?

Golinski v. Office of Personnel Management
"The Court finds that neither Congress' claimed legislative justifications nor any of the proposed reasons proffered by BLAG constitute bases rationally related to any of the alleged governmental interests. Further, after concluding that neither the law nor the record can sustain any of the interests suggested, the Court, having tried on its own, cannot conceive of any additional interests that DOMA might further.
He ordered that Golinski's wife be allowed to enroll for health care insurance as Golinski's spouse. Tara Borelli, the lead attorney for Lambda Legal, who represented Golinski, said "This ruling ... spells doom for DOMA"

Gill and Massachusetts
On November 3, 2011, 133 House Democrats filed an amicus brief in support of the plaintiffs in Gill and Massachusetts, asserting their belief that Section 3 of DOMA was unconstitutional. Included among the members of Congress signing the brief were 14 members who had voted for the bill in 1996. Seventy major employers have also filed an amicus brief supporting the plaintiffs. The Court of Appeals has scheduled arguments in both cases for April 4, 2012.

The following is a list of other cases challenging DOMA:
Pedersen and Windsor
Bishop v. United States
Dragovich, et al. v. Department of the Treasury, et al.
Hara v. Office of Personnel Management
Torres-Barragan v. Holder
Cozen O'Connor, P.C. v. Tobits and Farley

Sooner or later, the DOMA travesty will be repealed, and like dominos, state pro-hate laws will fall as well.

Gay supporters "always lose"? Stay tuned.
The Lying Dr Douche

Livermore, CA

#130998 Mar 3, 2012
Daddys Home wrote:
<quoted text>Awesome.
Why are you answering yourself DR. douche,sad to see that psychosis progressing so rapidly? Now what did we tell you about your mouth being open and what comes out in the way of your lying projectile vomit? There is an update or haven't you heard? It is now 8 states that have marriage equality so your revised number should be 42! Congrats to the states of Washington and Maryland!Now about getting some professional help for that anti-social psychosis you suffer from! Need the name of a good therapist?
The Lady Doctor

Vancouver, WA

#130999 Mar 3, 2012
Conservative Democrat wrote:
<quoted text>
She made a very clear point as I did. Too bad you didn't see, or didn't want to see either. Everyone else did.
But it's so much EASIER of AKP to ignoring what we say and posting a half dozen posts calling us idiots and morons especially after his OPINIONS have been debunked by actual FACTS.
The Lady Doctor

Vancouver, WA

#131000 Mar 3, 2012
Reality wrote:
bla, bla, bla...
Why has DOMA not yet been taken to the SCOTUS?
The answer is the REALITY you cannot face. The US constitution cares not for ANY marriage straight or otherwise, it is merely a state license like driving...procreation, now THERE is a FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT.
Marriage gets protected only as it is a historical vehicle for procreation....bla, bla, bla
I see you have moved on fro abortion to SCOTUS...do you get an email of right wing taking points ever morning?

BTW do you get paid by the post? Is that why you endlessly repeat the crap thing over and over? Or is it just that you think that repetition will brainwash someone into agreeing with your narrow minded OPINIONS?

Location hidden

#131001 Mar 3, 2012
The Lady Doctor wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you have moved on fro abortion to SCOTUS...do you get an email of right wing taking points ever morning?
BTW do you get paid by the post? Is that why you endlessly repeat the crap thing over and over? Or is it just that you think that repetition will brainwash someone into agreeing with your narrow minded OPINIONS?
See my point?

Milk him? NO
Process him for food? NO
Oh, OK. Who's a good boy, follow me.

“ WOOF !”

Coolidge, AZ

#131002 Mar 3, 2012
This case is like a slowly dripping faucet you can't shut off.....
The Lady Doctor

Vancouver, WA

#131003 Mar 3, 2012
Wow! What an ORIGINAL thought. I bet if I read EVERY comment ever posted on the past 5910 pages YOU are the very first person EVER the make this brilliant "argument"...
Reality wrote:
...marriage rights are just like any other state granted privilege, and are not "fundamental" like procreation ...
I see, PROCREATION is a "fundamental right", but Marriage is a "privilege"...

But this "privilege" can only be granted to those who can procreate...But procreation is a requirement for marriage...
Reality wrote:
The fundamental part comes from procreation which negates the constant barrage of comments that marriage and procreation are not linked.
And the "fundamental right" to procreate is the basis for the "privilege" to marry...
Reality wrote:
Because this is how we use marriage to regulate the procreators.
Where do you come up with this crap? Over 40% of children born in the US are born to unmarried women, so clearly, "we" do NOT use MARRIAGE to regulate procreation!
Reality wrote:
...And to repeat, I make these posts for someone to finally see that the link to procreation is not bigotry, its reality.
yes, if we begin with the same faulty premise you use and then apply the same circular logic you applied we will all come to the same FAULTY conclusion.

BTW it's not the 12th century. Modern marriage is about LOVE and COMMITMENT.

“Choose wisely!”

Since: Jul 07

Los Angeles

#131005 Mar 3, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
Marriage protection was passed by the legislature in Minnesota and and by the voters in California. The Court must be checked, from gross injustice.
Moot has two meanings, moot court teaches law. Why should I be forced to pay for the birth control used by oversexed college women? Why can't they pay for their own?
The Courts in the case of California Supreme Court and the Federal District and the 9th Circuit, acted exactly as they are supposed to do. The Courts interpret law against existing Constitutional law (State and Federal) and render decisions.

Homosexuals are citizens, equal in every way, their being no legal basis, no definable harm or compelling interest for discrimination to exist. Yet, that discrimination does exist, and so the Courts must act to overturn popular votes.

As to women and contraception, you've been watching to much Rush. Women are not nearly as oversexed as men. Men are far less responsbile with sex. If men were as responsible for sex, we'd never be able to produce enough condoms and the rates of HIV and all other STD's would plumet!

You are pig of human being by even suggesting that women bear the responsibility for contraception when said responsibility is so stunningly absent in men!

Eric
Bruno

Westminster, CA

#131006 Mar 3, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
See my point?
Milk him? NO
Process him for food? NO
Oh, OK. Who's a good boy, follow me.
You are a funny idiot ...
Bruno

Westminster, CA

#131007 Mar 3, 2012
gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
The Courts in the case of California Supreme Court and the Federal District and the 9th Circuit, acted exactly as they are supposed to do. The Courts interpret law against existing Constitutional law (State and Federal) and render decisions.
Homosexuals are citizens, equal in every way, their being no legal basis, no definable harm or compelling interest for discrimination to exist. Yet, that discrimination does exist, and so the Courts must act to overturn popular votes.
As to women and contraception, you've been watching to much Rush. Women are not nearly as oversexed as men. Men are far less responsbile with sex. If men were as responsible for sex, we'd never be able to produce enough condoms and the rates of HIV and all other STD's would plumet!
You are pig of human being by even suggesting that women bear the responsibility for contraception when said responsibility is so stunningly absent in men!
Eric
All gays have the same rights as every citizen. It's just that gays want to make a new rule to be noticed. I don't think the gay community would dare put their demand to a vote for the American people, no way. Gays are too scared so they chip away at indididual states, as to test the waters.

“Choose wisely!”

Los Angeles

#131008 Mar 3, 2012
Daddys Home wrote:
<quoted text>You don't have a clue, 44 states don't allow same sex marriage. What you think you won, was a loss, and simply means no same sex marriage. The states you keep declaring as victories are setup to fall like Arizona and Florida.
But, you are right, the anti-normal, gays, are losing and the reasonable people, families, are winning.
For your logic to be true, the pace of pro-gay court decisions and legislature bills being passed would have to be slowing, stopped and/or reversing, but that is not true. Even the Republic of Ireland is considering a pro-gay marriage bill (yes, I know that's not the U.S. but if a solidly Catholic country like Ireland is considering this... just sayin').

Oh, and it's not 44 states, it's 42! Soon to be 41 when California allows same-sex marriage, again! In Washington and Maryland, it was the elected representatives of the People who passed same-sex marriage, not the courts. There may also be enough votes to over ride the veto in New Jersey.

Further to that, the Federal DOMA has been found unconstitutional.

You're losing ground sir and the pace, is accelerating in pro-gay favor.

Oh, and our families are just as normal and reasonable as any other.

Eric

“Choose wisely!”

Los Angeles

#131009 Mar 3, 2012
Bruno wrote:
<quoted text>
All gays have the same rights as every citizen. It's just that gays want to make a new rule to be noticed. I don't think the gay community would dare put their demand to a vote for the American people, no way. Gays are too scared so they chip away at indididual states, as to test the waters.
Not true. Gays are not equally protected in this nation compared to heterosexuals. In 34 States, we can be fired solely for no other reason that our employer does not like homosexuals, and we have no legal recourse, no matter how good we are at our job.

We do not have the right to marry the person we love in 42 States.

The list goes on and on and on.

In 2000, the People of California voted in Prop 22 with 61.4% of the vote.

In 2008, the People of California voted in Prop 8, with a slim majority of 52.3% of the vote. That's major ground lost.

Recent polls, from liberal, conservative and independent polling groups, have same-sex marriage passing in California with anywhere from a 52% to 58% margin.

I'm content to wait 4 more years because by then, we will have better than 60% of the People vote FOR same-sex marriage equality.

The numbers don't lie. Your view against gays, is losing ground. Your failure, is inevitable because the American People, don't like inequality and injustice.

Eric
SpamOlater

Monrovia, CA

#131010 Mar 3, 2012
This is fun, why haven't others gotten on the bandwagon like the all too common spamposters.
Mona Lott

Brooklyn, NY

#131011 Mar 3, 2012
sociopathic Liberals wrote:
<quoted text>
The paid off liberal judges who commit high crimes for over turning the will of the majority? You know a Republic?
Is that the court you're talking about???
You obviously have NO idea just how corrupt the U S courts are! And you better hope that you never have to find out! It's NO fun watching lawyers and judges lying and destroying people!
It really sucks!
Gee. If you have ANY proof of your ridiculous allegations, you should call the FBI. But I realise you have nothing but a bag of hot air. Who is getting "destroyed" by lying judges, Miss Hooked On Histrionics?

“Choose wisely!”

Los Angeles

#131012 Mar 3, 2012
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
DOMA was a federal law, not a State law, the SCOTUS has jurisdiction. Are you really this clueless?
Prop 8 is a State issue, there is no federal question. Stop acting like you know the law because you watch Judge Judy.
Really? How extraordinary!

Perhaps then you could explain to all of us why then a Federal District Court, followed by the Federal 9th Circuit Court of Appeals - heard and ruled on Prop 8, which you claim to be a State case only?!?

By your logic, the issue should have been settled with the CSSC, in favor of same-sex marriage being legal.

Eric
Mona Lott

Brooklyn, NY

#131013 Mar 3, 2012
Truth Speaker wrote:
<quoted text>The reason that you gays will always lose, is because you are stupid.
That is why two straights are representing your interest.
You don't get it, we are defending Prop 8, and you are trying to overturn it.
You gays have forgotten, the CSSC upheld Prop 8.
Our defense is simple.
1. On Nov. 5, 2008 it became law.
Now, you as a plaintiff have to formulate a cause of action.
Just libertard judges simply said " Between June 2008 and Nov 2008, the CSSC allows same sex marriage, in violation of the laws governing the initiative process.
Based on that violation, gays were allowed to marry.
So, when the people followed the law, they prevented further gays from violating the legal process and for that, the law violated the rights of gays.
The problem with most of you gays is that you act like children, and you have no legal argument for same sex marriage.
Bottom line, sexual orientation is not a suspect class.
Prop 8 does not violate federal law, it is the product of it, DOMA.
DOMA remains law.
Prop 8 does not violate the California constitution, it is the state constitution concerning marriage.
Please remember all of this. You all forgot these things, and
don't understand why you are not allowed to get married.
Out of touch with reality, eh?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Redwood City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
John Root to take over Jerry Deal's seat: Longt... 15 hr Fiona 1
La Victoria's Orange Sauce (Jan '06) 17 hr Kay 128
Beam me up Scottie Mon guest 12
The news for anything how to get more,, Oct 16 Allx 1
From Tower of Power - The Mic Gillette Band Oct 3 IGotSoul 1
My Teen Verbally Abuses Me (Feb '09) Sep 21 abusedmom 108
Catalytic Converter Theft. Toyota Truck/SUV own... (May '07) Sep '14 Jesie 950

Beach Hazards Statement for San Mateo County was issued at October 21 at 7:51PM PDT

Redwood City News Video

Redwood City Dating
Find my Match

Redwood City Jobs

Redwood City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Redwood City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Redwood City

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]