La Victoria's Orange Sauce

Posted in the Redwood City Forum

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of126
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
La Vics isnt THAT great

San Mateo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Apr 10, 2007
 

Judged:

1

I know the sauce is an option, but what about the people who only eat kosher, or like some of my friends who are Muslim, "halal" food? Do they not have the right to know whether or not the item has animal drippings?

Since: Dec 05

Palo Alto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Apr 10, 2007
 
The whole point behind the kashrut laws is to constantly remind people of their dedication to God. Part of that is obviously going to be all the extra energy devoted to making sure the food they eat is kosher. Unless a restaurant is certified kosher, there is no guarantee that even a salad without dressing is not going to have touched something containing meat at some point. It's the responsibility of the patron, not the restaurant, to keep track of their own dietary needs.
La Vics isnt THAT great wrote:
I know the sauce is an option, but what about the people who only eat kosher, or like some of my friends who are Muslim, "halal" food? Do they not have the right to know whether or not the item has animal drippings?
neil

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Apr 12, 2007
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Glamjock wrote:
Recently, a new girl was hired at the restaurant I work at. The conversation of, "I wonder what is in La Victoria's orange sauce" came up. She told me that she knew the owner and he told her it had, "chorizo sausage grease, mayonnaise and chili." No wonder it tastes so good. There is only one problem I have upon finding out what is likely among the orange sauce ingredients...I am a vegetarian. I am a vegetarian, and I have been eating at La Victoria for two years. I feel incredibly betrayed and disgusted. I want other people to realize that La Victoria's orange sauce tastes too good to be just another harmless hot sauce.
I think that you are gay and that you need to get over your little "vegetarian thing"and grow some balls
ogredood

Gardner, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
May 2, 2007
 
A vegan diet is not the same as a vegetarian diet. Sounds like a few more questions when ordering are needed.
Michael Jackson

Olivehurst, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
May 2, 2007
 
According to a new's article, there's no mayo in it.
Michael Jackson

Olivehurst, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
May 2, 2007
 
According to a news article, theres no mayo iin it.
natedogg

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
May 3, 2007
 
all you whiners talking about if the sauce is animal or not need to take a chill pill and stop thinking so much, if you dont eat meat then you probably don't need to go to a mexican burrito shop, hello mexican food "news flash"CONTAINS MEAT THE MAJORITY OF THE TIME!,if you dont like the sauce go somewhere else its lames in this world that protest issues and have no real life experience that is even relevent to the issue at hand grow up people THERE IS A WAR GOING ON A STUPID PRESIDENT . just eat burritos and have fun , live life to its fullest , in the end we all become worm food.
Orange Sauce

Los Gatos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
May 11, 2007
 

Judged:

1

1

1

La Victoria's doesn't advertise itself as a vegetarian restaurant, so why does it shock some people that meat and animal by-products exist in their food and sauces? Think about how silly this would sound if you turned this around? You walk into a vegetarian restaurant, and start bitching about how nothing in the restaurant contains any kind of meat. Even the sauces and soup base are made purely from vegetables. Imagine that???!!! At a vegetarian restaurant of all things!!! How could this happen??!!!

Anyway... came here to find out what are the ingredients in the secret sauce, and now I can see why it tastes so good. For those who find it disgusting... Before you found out what was in it, did you like the sauce? For me, I just know that I like the sauce because I think it tastes good, and as long as they keep making it the way they have been making it, and as long as it still tastes the same, they can put cat shit in it for all I care, so long as it tastes the same, and it doesn't kill me.
Big Willy Style

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
May 24, 2007
 
All the refried beans at almost any taqueria are made with copious amounts of lard, so if you want to be vegetarian, vegan, whatever, enjoy your plain rice burrito with no orange sauce, no meat, no beans, no flavor, oh, and no tortilla, because most tortillas, guess what, have lard too, dumbass.
Christine

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
May 31, 2007
 
Wow, everyone here sounds so angry. I stopped by this forum to see if anyone might have the recipe to the magical orange sauce, but I guess not. To all the people yelling at the vegetarians and initial poster, I think you're missing the point. So to clarify:

(I am a certified meat eater, so don't yell at me,'kay.)

The issue here seems to be that they were previously told by employees when ordering that the orange sauce IS vegetarian-safe (meaning no meat or meat by-products, but dairy is okay). However, according to so-and-so, the sauce contains chorizo drippings, which is clearly not vegetarian. They are not mad at finding a meat-based sauce in a taqueria; they're upset that the sauce is meat-based when they were told it was vegetarian-safe. So all you meat eaters should probably take it easy and quit ragging on them over a misunderstanding.

Of course, all this may or may not be a moot point since other people are saying that the sauce IS vegetarian safe and doesn't contain any meat products. Looks like we'll never know unless someone can snatch that secret recipe. If you do get a hold of it, send it my way, yeah?

Since: Dec 05

Palo Alto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Jun 1, 2007
 

Judged:

1

1

I'm guessing the conversation went like this:

Yuppie customer: "Excuse me kind sir, is your divine orange sauce vegetarian?"

Befuddled employee with 2 years of english:(What's this gringo talking about?) "Yes, vegetarian, Si".
Christine wrote:
Wow, everyone here sounds so angry. I stopped by this forum to see if anyone might have the recipe to the magical orange sauce, but I guess not. To all the people yelling at the vegetarians and initial poster, I think you're missing the point. So to clarify:
(I am a certified meat eater, so don't yell at me,'kay.)
The issue here seems to be that they were previously told by employees when ordering that the orange sauce IS vegetarian-safe (meaning no meat or meat by-products, but dairy is okay). However, according to so-and-so, the sauce contains chorizo drippings, which is clearly not vegetarian. They are not mad at finding a meat-based sauce in a taqueria; they're upset that the sauce is meat-based when they were told it was vegetarian-safe. So all you meat eaters should probably take it easy and quit ragging on them over a misunderstanding.
Of course, all this may or may not be a moot point since other people are saying that the sauce IS vegetarian safe and doesn't contain any meat products. Looks like we'll never know unless someone can snatch that secret recipe. If you do get a hold of it, send it my way, yeah?
Kat C

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Jul 11, 2007
 
I just want the recipe.
If I were a conspiracy theorist, and I'm not, I would think all this irrelevant, off-topic excitement has been discretely generated by the people in the know trying to force us off the track.
Pork fat = secret ingredient.. seems likely enough, it makes everything else taste great.
gianvieve

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Oct 2, 2007
 
I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 3 years (I ate dairy but no meat) and when ever I ate anything with a bit meat inside I got seriously sick. Either you a pretty horrible vegetarian, or the sauce doesn't have meat.
gianvieve

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Oct 2, 2007
 
oh yea... I agree with Big Willy Style about the fact that if the refried beans have meat base then it's not a big shock that the orange sauce might.

Since: Dec 05

Palo Alto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Oct 2, 2007
 

Judged:

1

Speaking of horrible, you sounds like a fascist vegetarian in love with yourself, never missing a chance to be overly dramatic :)
gianvieve wrote:
I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 3 years (I ate dairy but no meat) and when ever I ate anything with a bit meat inside I got seriously sick. Either you a pretty horrible vegetarian, or the sauce doesn't have meat.
Hapa

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
Oct 3, 2007
 
Okay well this is not the only example of this type of gross misuse. Personally I have nothing against animal drippings and I LOVE La Victoria's orange sauce. Reading this doesn't make me like it any less. However, if you want to know about some serious misuse of ingredients, the government allows all kinds of horrible things to be put in our food. A common 'natural' food coloring called Carmine or Carminic Acid is used in may foods, makeup, etc. This is actually ground up bug larvae from a specific type of bug that eats red cactus berries. It's used in such foods as strawberry yogurt, pink grapefruit juice, colored pasta, etc. Yum right?

For a list of foods with hidden animal by-products, see:
http://www.cyberparent.com/nutrition/hiddenan...

Since: Dec 05

Palo Alto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
Oct 3, 2007
 
So, what's the problem with that? Human's have been eating animal "byproducts" for thousands of years. Personally I'd rather eat ground up bug larvae than jello made from cow hooves/bones.
Hapa wrote:
Okay well this is not the only example of this type of gross misuse. Personally I have nothing against animal drippings and I LOVE La Victoria's orange sauce. Reading this doesn't make me like it any less. However, if you want to know about some serious misuse of ingredients, the government allows all kinds of horrible things to be put in our food. A common 'natural' food coloring called Carmine or Carminic Acid is used in may foods, makeup, etc. This is actually ground up bug larvae from a specific type of bug that eats red cactus berries. It's used in such foods as strawberry yogurt, pink grapefruit juice, colored pasta, etc. Yum right?
For a list of foods with hidden animal by-products, see:
http://www.cyberparent.com/nutrition/hiddenan...
Ray

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
Oct 28, 2007
 
Patrick James wrote:
<quoted text>
Generally speaking, when one goes to Jamba Juice and orders a fruit smoothy they don't expect it to contain PORK GREASE in it do they?.....When I order a vegetable based sauce I expect it to be vegetable based! Chile is a vegetable, PORK CHORIZO isn't!...Who ever the hell thinks that mustard,ketchup, relish, or any other condiment should contain "animal based drippings" is an idiot! It's all about being transparent and honest with your customer. I myself am not a vegetarian, I love meat of all types, but I HATE any seafood or shelfish products. If I went to a BBQ place and loved their sauce and later found out that they have been putting fish drippings in their sauce without disclosing it....I would be sooo pissed I would wan't to burn the place down!!! As you can tell, I take what I eat VERY SERIOUSLY.... Please dont put cat shit in my soup...I dont care how good "it" tastes...
heres a tip ...make your own food.
Andrew

Menlo Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
Nov 8, 2007
 

Judged:

1

Vegetarians are losers. Stay in San Francisco and leave the rest of the bay area to people that dont cry and have to spend their days WORRYING ABOUT STUPID SHIT LIKE THIS!
Edd

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#40
Dec 20, 2007
 
Nick wrote:
These mexican guys at my work made me some of this sauce, and the sauce isn't vegetarian. It has dairy.
It is lacto vegetarian, then.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of126
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Redwood City News Video

•••
•••

Redwood City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Redwood City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Redwood City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Redwood City
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••