Santorum Charity Low on Giving, Up on Fees

Sen. Rick Santorum's charity donated about 40 percent of the $1.25 million it spent during a four-year period, well below Better Business Bureau standards -- paying out the rest for overhead, including several ... Full Story
First Prev
of 24
Next Last
parlo

Bronx, NY

#1 Feb 25, 2006
The financial requirements of "charity groups" is lax at best. Sen Santorum cant even meet those standards. Where is the rest of the money???
Kathy

Bainbridge, PA

#2 Feb 25, 2006
Our local news here in Harrisburg stated that 60% went for "OVERHEAD", including several hundred thousand to Santorum aides that were on the charity payroll. I love it. Keep it up Santorum, another nail in your coffin. GO CASEY!
Lonnie

Glenshaw, PA

#3 Feb 25, 2006
Rick Santorum is under fire from the radical left Kooks. Since he is a Republican I have every confidence that he is a man of God since the Republican party itself is the true party of God. You left wing nuts are just mad because you cant even get elected to dog catcher any more. Look around you, the state house is Republican, the state senate is Republican, the federal house is Republican, the fed senate is republican, and the president is republican. God is guiding our politics for sure.
kevin

AOL

#4 Feb 26, 2006
People often hide under the robes of godliness to do evil things, as it fools people who dont look deep enough to see that a person can say one thing and act in a completely different way. Open your eyes, Lonnie- just because someone says they are a man of God, doesnt mean they are. Afterall, I'm sure all the catholic priests who were caught molesting children pretending to be doing God's work as well.
Kathy

Lancaster, PA

#5 Feb 26, 2006
Lonnie wrote:
Rick Santorum is under fire from the radical left Kooks. Since he is a Republican I have every confidence that he is a man of God since the Republican party itself is the true party of God. You left wing nuts are just mad because you cant even get elected to dog catcher any more. Look around you, the state house is Republican, the state senate is Republican, the federal house is Republican, the fed senate is republican, and the president is republican. God is guiding our politics for sure.
Recently new to the Pennsylvania Forums site I am beginning to think that the only participant in these forums whose neurons synapse all the way to the penthouse is parlo. I may not always agree with his or her viewpoints but at least he or she provides thought provoking discourse. Rick Santorum is not under fire by the Left Radicals, he is under fire by the decent, hardworking, Pennsylvanians who have had enough. Enough of his dichotomies. Remember a few years ago when he was touting medical malpractice reform at the same time that his wife was suing her chiropractor? Or how about living in Virginia but keeping a small, uninhabited home in the Pittsburgh suburb of Penn Hills so that he could charge that unfortunate school district with 100,000 dollars in cyberschool fees for his children? Oh I know that since then he has withdrawn them from that cyberschool and is now homeschooling them, but this was only done after Pennsylvanians were made aware of this larceny and the public outcry forced him to. Give me a break.
Lonnie

Satellite Provider

#6 Feb 26, 2006
Kathy, most of what you wrote about Santorum is old media distortions and repeats. The man is a Republican for goodness sakes. Sure, he may have some faults and shortcomings as do we all but as a Republican, I am convinced that he is a man of God. We are a party of wholesome values.
buddy

Gatlinburg, TN

#7 Feb 28, 2006
What are "media distortions" in Republican speak? The facts? Any story that is negative to a Retaliban party member? So God loves Retalibans. I hope so. I would hate to think that the Retalibans in power would do if they were working for the devil. They might lie to the country so they could start a war. They might put the burden more on the average person to pay for their devilish deeds than the rich folks. They might put an end to all types of personal freedoms in the name of conservatism. God forbid
Bobby K

Richmond, VA

#8 Mar 1, 2006
Lonnie wrote:
Lonnie, please please get yourself to a doctor for your delusional hysteria. Agreeing or disagreeing with Sen Santorum is your business, and you have a right to voice that opinion. However, if you believe that ANYONE is a man of God simply because he is Republican, then I now understand how Bush won.
Chris

Indiana, PA

#9 Mar 1, 2006
You know, we have a wonderful thing in the United States called "separation of church and state" to say that the Republican Party is the party of God is just insane. I highly doubt God cares about Democrats or Republicans. If you are voting for Santorum because he is a man of God, I think you are insane too. Santorum is a horrible senator, as well as an out-of-touch conservative stuck in the 1950s. Can you name one good thing Santorum has done in the last year besides get campaign fundraising from Sean Hannity, write a 500 page book about how women should be confined to the home, and completely screw up the Terry Shiavo situation? Rick Santorum is out of touch with reality and with the state of Pennsylvania. Not even God could disagree with that.
Randy

Spanish Fork, UT

#10 Mar 1, 2006
It's not about Rick Santorum necessarily, but rather, it's about family values and the party which stands for them. The retention of Rick Santorum, even if he fall short of the glory of God, still assures the Republicans a organizational majority in the Senate, meaning that the agendy of Godly family values will be preserved. Take a look around guys.. one party, the party of Satan, supports abortion, gay marriage, affirmative action, and so forth, the other party (republicans) support Christian prayer in school, the banning of abortions, the banning of gay marriage, and other things Biblical. Quit focusing on Rick Santorum so much but instead step back and look at the big picture.
Chris

Indiana, PA

#11 Mar 1, 2006
Wake up Randy, Godly family values have no place in politics. There is a separation of church and state in this country and whenever you try and mix the two, you're just asking for trouble. What is so wrong with affirmative action? Are you a bigot? Do you not like minorities having the oppurtunity to advance in society? What's your problem with gay people? What did they ever do to you? Are you homophobic too? Who are you to deny a woman's right to get an abortion? You're not even a woman for goodness sakes. Do you hate women like you hate gays and minorities? Hmm...let me give you a biblical lesson. The bible and every religion wants you to "love thy neighbor" You are chosing to hate minorities, gays, and women, much like those other right wing fundamentalists. Rick Santorum is a hateful man who only cares about white protestants and trying to put everything in biblical terms. Welcome to the real world Randy. Look at the big picture my friend, God doesn't care about Pennsylvania politics. He is there to give glory and guidance to those who need him most. To say Democrats are the party of Satan is just plain hateful and very un-Christian of you.
Don

Plattsburgh, NY

#12 Mar 2, 2006
Oh, wake up. Being a Republican does not make you a man of God. Look the latest budget. Big increases for the military and rich corporations and big cuts for programs for the poor. Do you think this is what Jeasus would do? If so, read your bible again.
Lonnie wrote:
Kathy, most of what you wrote about Santorum is old media distortions and repeats. The man is a Republican for goodness sakes. Sure, he may have some faults and shortcomings as do we all but as a Republican, I am convinced that he is a man of God. We are a party of wholesome values.
Bob

Southview, PA

#13 Mar 2, 2006
Cris wrote: Rick Santorum is a hateful man who only cares about white protestants and trying to put everything in biblical terms.

Santorum is an Italian Catholic.... I'm sure he is not interested in promoting a white Anglo-Saxon Protestant agenda. I don't think Randy hates gays or women or minorities... He just recognizes that the Bible finds the gay lifestyle abomidable, and women are to be seen and not heard, and the taking of life is a sin (abortion). As for affirmative action, Martin Luther King said it best " a person should be judged by the content of their character, not the color of thier skin". Affirmative action is reverse discrimination and two wrongs do not make a right.... If we followed affirmative action to its logical conclusion, the next set of wars would only include females until their number of dead equal that of 1.7 million of men who have died over our nations history defending our country.
Don

Plattsburgh, NY

#14 Mar 2, 2006
I am really sik and tired of Republicans who think that they are "Good Christians" just because they hate gays.

If your read the Gospels, Jesus doesn't say a single word on homosexuality. You have to go the the Old Testament to find that.

But on every page he says FEED THE POOR. Share your wealth with others - it won't help you get to heaven. And every year Republican take more from the poor and give it to the rich.

Just look at the lastest budget.$10 billion in tax cuts to the wealthiest 5% of Americans and $7 billion in cuts to social wealfare programs to pay for it. Christians ought to be ashamed of what is being done in their name.

While you "Good Christians" are voting for Republicans because of your homophobia, your leaders are robbing you blind and giving it to their rich friends.
Chris

Indiana, PA

#15 Mar 2, 2006
You raise an interesting point. That doesn't explain the way radical conservatives like Bill Frist and Rick Santorum completely screwed up the Terry Shaivo situation. Bill Frist diagnosed Shaivo from like 2000 miles away and Santorum once again used it as an oppurtunity to blast those "Satanist liberals" he talks so much about. Have any of you ever read Santorum's book? His book talks about how he thinks women are objects of the home and how he basically thinks liberals have no place in this country. Santorum is a misogynist, homophobe, and a bigot. Don is absolutely right, where in the bible does it say "treat gay people like garbage and treat them like second class citizens". The Right-Wing Republican attitude towards people who aren't rich, white, religious, and heterosexual makes me sick to my stomach. Don't even get me started about how Sean Hannity was out here two days ago with Santorum being all touchy-feely with each other because Santorum's numbers stink and people for some reason like that arrogant jerk Hannity.
Christine

Tyrone, PA

#16 Mar 2, 2006
It is wrong that our political views are formed by the actions of a few. It is also sad that the few are so politically powerful!! It is time for a change throughout this country. More voters are needed and politicians must be more truthful about such decisions as going to war!! How can we gain a balance in our government if people do not vote and how can we get good people when the politicians destroy everyone decent??? What is the truth behind Rick Santorum?? What do the Republicans really believe in todays times?? How does the everyday family survive todays politicians??
Marcie

Latrobe, PA

#17 Mar 2, 2006
You can't govern with the politicians you wish you had. To the contrary, you must govern with the ones you have. The people have consistantly, over and over and over and over again, voted in God fearing Republicans... that is who is in charge... the liberals need to quit crying and complaining and just face the facts on the ground. Rick Santorum is a good and decent man who injects much needed religiosity into our politics in an effort to clean up the liberal mess created over the past decades.
Chris

Indiana, PA

#18 Mar 2, 2006
And what is this liberal mess that you are referring to? America's greatest figures have been rather liberal. Our own state of PA was founded by William Penn, one of the most liberal men in American history. Rick Santorum is a good and decent man? Well that's fine if you believe that, but it doesn't mean he is a good politician or a good senator for that matter. You know, out of all these people defending Santorum, not a single person has explained to me why having religion in politics is a good thing. I'm pretty sure 9 out of 10 political scientists would agree that interjecting a religious agenda into state and national politics is a really bad way to represent your state and country. Liberals are not bad people, we are just realistic and live in the 21st century. Too bad the religious conservatives can't get that through their heads.
Marcie

Latrobe, PA

#19 Mar 2, 2006
Liberials, if not satanic, are flirting with it. Just look at the things they advocate.... killing babies, public displays of homosexual acts, and so on. an earlier writer accused Santorum of being a Protestant sympathizer.... that was a cheap shot. We all know that Protestant are a hated group, much like the communists were hated in the 50's.... the big thing in the 50's when you wanted to smear someone was to call them a communist. today, because Protestants are so vile and dispicable, the thing to do to smear a good man like Santorum is to call him a Protestant... well, it wont work! I know better. The man is a devout Roman Catholic. Liberals always have to lie and slander it seems to me.
Chris

Indiana, PA

#20 Mar 2, 2006
Oh jeez. Another person who likes to think of things of "us versus them" I personally just think Santorum is a bad senator. The fact that I'm liberal and he's conservative has nothing to do with it. I don't like his fusing of religion with politics. I don't know how in the world you can say Protestants are a hated group when they are a majority in this country. You do realize we've only had one Catholic president in JFK right? And Kerry got lots of criticism based on the fact that he was a Massachusetts liberal and a Catholic to boot. Marcie, you really should get to know some homosexuals. They are very pleasant people who just want people like you and Rick Santorum to let them live their lives. It seems like conservative white people won't be content until they alienate every minority in the country. They started with indians, then moved onto blacks, then after the civil war went to the immigrants, then it was the germans during WWI and the Committee for Public Information, then it was the Japanese during WWII, then it was the blacks again, then it was Arabs, and now it's gays. For goodness sakes, just worry about yourselves and let people live their lives.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 24
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Reading Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 2 hr Obamas Failed Eco... 51,526
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 5 hr Martin Luther 4,019
PA Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in P... (Oct '10) Mon R Nixon 186
Reading Water Bills Doubled After new meters in... Sun Alice 1
Reading Rises On List Of Most Dangerous Cities (Nov '09) Sep 10 silly rabbit 14
Pennsylvania scores 19th in US obesity rankings Sep 7 silly rabbit 1
Henry Thomas Aug '14 Kin From KY 1

Reading News Video

Reading Jobs

Reading People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Reading News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Reading

Personal Finance