Sources: Cop in fatal crash didn't have permission to drive car

Full story: Newsday 32
The off-duty Quogue cop killed in a high-speed crash in a borrowed Ferrari didn't have permission to be driving the sports car, sources said Thursday. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Insanity

Oceanside, NY

#1 Jun 25, 2009
Of course he is going to say he didnt give him permission. Gets him off the hook for insurance purposes to the dead officers family.
I dont care if its a cop or my brother, if I own a Ferrari, i'm not giving it to someone and saying to them "here are the keys, go put it somewhere safe". But he has got to protect his interests, very understandable.
Anyway, there wasnt a doubt the car didnt belong to the cop. No cop can afford a ferrari, regardless of what Steve Levy says. He would have to have some side buisness for that.
Put a Ferrari in someones hands that isnt used to it and they are bound to do something stupid. My prayers do go out to the families though. Thankfully no one else was hurt, that didnt get into that car with him.
sad

Farmingdale, NY

#2 Jun 25, 2009
soo sorry for the families involved

but i agree with above post that guy is saying he didnt allow him to drive it because of the insurance policy.

“Just Another Retired Shepherd”

Since: Jul 08

Acworth

#3 Jun 25, 2009
This certainly adds a twist to the case as the lawyers gather
Schlomo

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Jun 25, 2009
I just assumed a Quogue/Suffolk County cop could afford a Ferrari these days.

Yeah...I am sure the owner told his part time caretaker to drive the car as if it is his. Come on now!
Blue Collar

Bradenton, FL

#6 Jun 25, 2009
So the police officer didn't have permission to drive the car. He should have been charged with grand theft auto after the fact. Sorry he's dead, but that's nobody's fault but his own. This guy wasn't a very smart police officer, was he.?
LI Raised

Bridgeville, PA

#7 Jun 25, 2009
It just bothers me that they are 'honoring' this police officer. He drove this car without permission, at excessive speed, and not only killed himself but the passenger as well. His recklessness and law breaking (speeding) contributed to the death of his passenger.

I feel for his family. This is a terrible incident that could have eaasily been avoided if he was not reckless.
Stating the Obvious

Las Vegas, NV

#8 Jun 25, 2009
Hmmm, if the owner didn't want ANYBODY to drive the car he should have taken the car keys with him, seeing he was only storing the car in the garage. He's not going to be able to lawyer his way out of this one with the insurance company.
Marsh

Oceanside, NY

#9 Jun 25, 2009
LI Raised wrote:
It just bothers me that they are 'honoring' this police officer. He drove this car without permission, at excessive speed, and not only killed himself but the passenger as well. His recklessness and law breaking (speeding) contributed to the death of his passenger.
I feel for his family. This is a terrible incident that could have eaasily been avoided if he was not reckless.
Reckless? Yeah, he probably was, but look around, this is whats going on in Suffolk now. The roads have become lawless. This has nothing to do with this guy being a cop, The reckless driving out there has become very apparent. Now tickets arent being written anymore, every day your reading about DWI's, fatal accidents. Not looking too good in Suffolk.
I too feel very bad for the family, but it doesnt look like he is being honored.
doubtful

Denver, CO

#10 Jun 25, 2009
Marsh wrote:
<quoted text>
I too feel very bad for the family, but it doesnt look like he is being honored.
yesterday's newsday they said he was going to be honored posthumously.
this is a way cops and firemen have to raise his ranks so his family gets more taxpayer money in the form of his pension and life insurance.
i believe he does not deserve this because he did not die in the line of duty, he died doing something reckless that could have also killed more innocent people.
sorry that he died, but lets not make him out to be somekind of hero he wasn't.
LI Raised

Bridgeville, PA

#11 Jun 25, 2009
Marsh wrote:
<quoted text>
Reckless? Yeah, he probably was, but look around, this is whats going on in Suffolk now. The roads have become lawless. This has nothing to do with this guy being a cop, The reckless driving out there has become very apparent. Now tickets arent being written anymore, every day your reading about DWI's, fatal accidents. Not looking too good in Suffolk.
I too feel very bad for the family, but it doesnt look like he is being honored.
I read in another article that the town is having an honor guard etc for his funeral to honor him.
Insurance Informer

New Hyde Park, NY

#12 Jun 25, 2009
Just FYI from a NYS insurance agent, the owner can say the guy didn't have permission to drive it all he wants, he gave this guy the keys to the car for him to store it, therefore the vehicle was in his care, custody, and control. At that point the owners insurance still covers the car, and nothing the owner says can change that.

The owner would have had to file a stolen vehicle report PRIOR to the accident, the only other times insurance wouldn't hit him is if he got carjacked, or if he had a SIGNED contract with a company to take the car (such as if you had a monthly contract in a parking garage).

Considering the circumstances given in this story, we know it wasnt stolen, or carjacked, and I seriously doubt they outlined this in their contract if they even had one. In the letter of the law this guy DID have permission to drive the car, so the owners insurance will pay for it, and the owner's insurance would be on the hook for any damage or death it caused (to persons or property outside the vehicle).
Insurance Informer

New Hyde Park, NY

#13 Jun 25, 2009
One last thing, just because the insurance covers the car and injuries does NOT mean that the dead officers family can sue the owner of the car or his insurance company for anything. Its not the owners nor the car's fault this guy drove it like an idiot and crashed it.
lol

Suitland, MD

#14 Jun 25, 2009
Sources? SOURCES??

Why should anyone trust "sources"?

newsday - you are beyond help.
Observer

Oceanside, NY

#15 Jun 25, 2009
Insurance Informer wrote:
One last thing, just because the insurance covers the car and injuries does NOT mean that the dead officers family can sue the owner of the car or his insurance company for anything. Its not the owners nor the car's fault this guy drove it like an idiot and crashed it.
One point i will correct you on, you can be sued for anything!
Granted, I understand everything you wrote and its good points, but when your but is in a courtroom and you are being sued its better to have a defense. Yes, I gave him the keys gave him permission to use it to store it, blah blah blah, BUT I did not give him permission to use it to joy ride that night. The owner has to go with something. He has lawyers and has been advised. Dont be fooled.
no on really

Barnesville, OH

#16 Jun 26, 2009
LI Raised wrote:
<quoted text>
I read in another article that the town is having an honor guard etc for his funeral to honor him.
Oh they had a full blown honor guard, i was there today, like i said, i knew him, though i didn't approve of his behavior over the years, hero, well i wouldnt say so. What a waste of taxpayers dollars today. Line of duty, absolutely, risking the lives of others, NO WAY. Its over now, but ...
no one really

Barnesville, OH

#17 Jun 29, 2009
no on really wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh they had a full blown honor guard, i was there today, like i said, i knew him, though i didn't approve of his behavior over the years, hero, well i wouldnt say so. What a waste of taxpayers dollars today. Line of duty, absolutely, risking the lives of others, NO WAY. Its over now, but ...
..I noticed this was judged with a spam, well believe it or not, I was there ask what firetrucks were outside the entrance to calverton memorial cemetary with the large flag drapped over the entrance, lets see, there was brookhaven, manorville, mastic beach, the procession went to the left of the entrance, in the lead was quogue police department (2 cars) followed by police cars from westhampton beach, suffolk county, southhampton, court officer, etc.. would you like to know what the widow was wearing or do you get it, so if you want to judge spam, clueless, or whatever, maybe you should realize my ip address is wrong, matter of fact I am right here on beauriful long island, a neighbor, I know rich and know many police officers, and got loads of dirt! but I will let the man rest in peace, because he deserves to rest in peace and his family deserves to move on, as far as the dirt, well it is still around so be it!(Ny the way, the funeral for PO Bowen started just before Rich's funeral, but that procession went to the right, under the blue and white tent!
liner

Hicksville, NY

#18 Jun 29, 2009
no one really wrote:
<quoted text>..I noticed this was judged with a spam, well believe it or not, I was there ask what firetrucks were outside the entrance to calverton memorial cemetary with the large flag drapped over the entrance, lets see, there was brookhaven, manorville, mastic beach, the procession went to the left of the entrance, in the lead was quogue police department (2 cars) followed by police cars from westhampton beach, suffolk county, southhampton, court officer, etc.. would you like to know what the widow was wearing or do you get it, so if you want to judge spam, clueless, or whatever, maybe you should realize my ip address is wrong, matter of fact I am right here on beauriful long island, a neighbor, I know rich and know many police officers, and got loads of dirt! but I will let the man rest in peace, because he deserves to rest in peace and his family deserves to move on, as far as the dirt, well it is still around so be it!(Ny the way, the funeral for PO Bowen started just before Rich's funeral, but that procession went to the right, under the blue and white tent!
You need to ignore the "judged" opinions. Don't mean anything.
no one really

Barnesville, OH

#19 Jun 29, 2009
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to ignore the "judged" opinions. Don't mean anything.
Thanks, I know everyone is entitled to there opinion, I just do want to come across as someone that is lying or make stuff up you know, Have a nice day :)
SIU

Alpharetta, GA

#20 Jun 29, 2009
You are correct. There also may be personal civil suits against the owner by the widow and also by passengers family. You have to feel sorry for the owner because now he will be going through a lot of (legal and insurance) crap because of an ignorant cop, taking his car out on a speedy joy ride. Guess his premimums just went through the roof.

The interesting thing will be the death benefits.
Insurance Informer wrote:
Just FYI from a NYS insurance agent, the owner can say the guy didn't have permission to drive it all he wants, he gave this guy the keys to the car for him to store it, therefore the vehicle was in his care, custody, and control. At that point the owners insurance still covers the car, and nothing the owner says can change that.
The owner would have had to file a stolen vehicle report PRIOR to the accident, the only other times insurance wouldn't hit him is if he got carjacked, or if he had a SIGNED contract with a company to take the car (such as if you had a monthly contract in a parking garage).
Considering the circumstances given in this story, we know it wasnt stolen, or carjacked, and I seriously doubt they outlined this in their contract if they even had one. In the letter of the law this guy DID have permission to drive the car, so the owners insurance will pay for it, and the owner's insurance would be on the hook for any damage or death it caused (to persons or property outside the vehicle).
Bad Seed

Mastic, NY

#21 Jun 29, 2009
SIU wrote:
You are correct. There also may be personal civil suits against the owner by the widow and also by passengers family. You have to feel sorry for the owner because now he will be going through a lot of (legal and insurance)**** because of an ignorant cop, taking his car out on a speedy joy ride. Guess his premimums just went through the roof.
The interesting thing will be the death benefits.
<quoted text>
It does not seem right that the owner of the car should have to face any law suits.Just because he gave the idiot the keys,what if there was a emergeny and the car had to be moved?

If you have a care taker or someone watching your house while you are away and they throw a party and some one drowns in the pool,or dies on the property you can still be sued?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quogue Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Driving wile black phone app Dec 12 You Tuber 3
Teen sentenced in murder of Thomas Herzberg - (Oct '07) Dec 9 sachem resident 161
Horseshoe crab sting (Jul '07) Dec 5 vene 73
Fatal DWI driver convicted of manslaughter and ... (Dec '06) Oct '14 Joe 2
Big indictment targets Gambinos, Sicilian Mafia (Jul '08) Nov '13 irish tommy 4
Quogue Village Police reports (Dec '09) Nov '13 Tom Jones 34
Who do you support for State Senator in New Yor... (Oct '10) Oct '13 tommy 16

Quogue News Video

Quogue Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Quogue People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Quogue News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Quogue

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:03 am PST

NBC Sports 3:03AM
Rex Ryan blanches at the words he heard from Tom Brady
Bleacher Report 3:15 AM
Breaking Down Pats' Game Plan vs. Jets
NBC Sports 4:19 AM
Thursday morning one-liners
NBC Sports 6:53 AM
Michael Vick has nearly paid off his bankruptcy debt
NBC Sports 8:09 AM
Antrel Rolle wants to play three more years with Giants