Going to Church does not make you a "good person"

Posted in the Princeton Forum

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Religulous

Harrisonburg, VA

#1 Feb 9, 2011
I was reading comments that indivduals were leaving for certain people. It seems one of the biggest ones people use is "I/he/she goes to church so I/he/she/is a good person." It is not true. I think many people use church as a facade. Some of the most evil people I have met have been church goers/believers in Jesus and use the bible as their proof.

Thoughts?
Level 1

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#2 Feb 9, 2011
well i agree with you but i also want to put out there that not going to church makes you a bad person....God knows what is in your heart and that is all that matters
XXX

Princeton, WV

#3 Feb 9, 2011
Religulous wrote:
I was reading comments that indivduals were leaving for certain people. It seems one of the biggest ones people use is "I/he/she goes to church so I/he/she/is a good person." It is not true. I think many people use church as a facade. Some of the most evil people I have met have been church goers/believers in Jesus and use the bible as their proof.
Thoughts?
Of course there is bad people in church.
You are in church because #1 God tells us to go. You should go there to learn all you can about God and our Savior, Jesus.
Do not pay attn. to people or worry about what they are doing, they will have to answer to God for their actions. God wants us to strive to be more like him and keep his commandments, and never worship false idols. I think you should pray for those people and keep your mind on the lesson your preacher is preaching. If we all would stop and ask ourselves, what would God do, we would be a better person and closer to our Lord. That is my thoughts.
Love Spring

Beckley, WV

#4 Feb 9, 2011
Read the topix titled"holy women in church" and you will understand why a lot of people dont want to go to church. The devil uses these people to discourage others so they will not want to go to church. I totally agree about asking what would God do!! He would certainly not act like these people in this other topix. But I assure you that you can always find a church where they fear God and do none of these things. You just need to seek God and he will steer you in the right way to find a good scripture based church that really HONORS his ten commandments (all 10 commandments not just some) You really need to ignore these type of people because they will be doing this as long as they are alive, and trying to fool others. I agree to pray for them because they really do need help! God can change people that is for sure.Just ignore and pray ignore and pray because they will not listen to people telling them they are wrong.
XXX

Princeton, WV

#5 Feb 9, 2011
Love Spring wrote:
Read the topix titled"holy women in church" and you will understand why a lot of people dont want to go to church. The devil uses these people to discourage others so they will not want to go to church. I totally agree about asking what would God do!! He would certainly not act like these people in this other topix. But I assure you that you can always find a church where they fear God and do none of these things. You just need to seek God and he will steer you in the right way to find a good scripture based church that really HONORS his ten commandments (all 10 commandments not just some) You really need to ignore these type of people because they will be doing this as long as they are alive, and trying to fool others. I agree to pray for them because they really do need help! God can change people that is for sure.Just ignore and pray ignore and pray because they will not listen to people telling them they are wrong.
Thank you: That is exactly what my thoughts were. You will be wasting your time going to church if you are worrying about those type of people. You do need to pray to God and ask him to lead you to the church He wants you to at. I confess that I did read some of the things on the topic, Holy women in church. I will have to keep my opinion to myself about that one. I don't keep up with it any more cause I don't like the impressions of the people that go through my mind. Do not let the actions of others come between you and God.
amen

Hermitage, TN

#6 Feb 10, 2011
kim m
Ebony

Compton, CA

#7 Feb 19, 2011
Going to church does not make you a good person, not going to church does not make you a bad person, if you believe in God and accept Jesus in your heart, then you will be fine. Whether you go to church or not, just accept God and Jesus Christ in your heart and you will be fine.
wow

Beckley, WV

#8 Feb 20, 2011
Ebony wrote:
Going to church does not make you a good person, not going to church does not make you a bad person, if you believe in God and accept Jesus in your heart, then you will be fine. Whether you go to church or not, just accept God and Jesus Christ in your heart and you will be fine.
technically most churchs in the us are actually cults
hip critts

Tarboro, NC

#9 Feb 20, 2011
i know one person only who uses church god in his daily life then screws people over ever chance he gets then says i am a christian dont lie or cheat i pray for him every night .

Level 3

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#10 Feb 20, 2011
wow wrote:
<quoted text> technically most churchs in the us are actually cults
Very true. Any collection of people using magic and mysticism as a bonding tool is a cult. All religions have splinter cells (church congregations) that are separate cults of a certain dogma. These cults choose their own set of rules for that dogma (baptist, mormon, jehovah's witness). Then impose those rules on their individual group members. Soliciting their finances, time, independent thought, and family to a giant corporate structure based on profit and gullible people.

magic is imaginary

god is imaginary

Level 3

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#11 Feb 20, 2011
Ebony wrote:
Going to church does not make you a good person, not going to church does not make you a bad person, if you believe in God and accept Jesus in your heart, then you will be fine. Whether you go to church or not, just accept God and Jesus Christ in your heart and you will be fine.
So that makes not believing in a magical overlords makes you a bad person? The buddhists are the most peaceful people in the history of the world. Their magic is different that your magic. But they have never incited an inquisition, murdered deniers, fought wars in the name of their magic, burned women as witches, bombed abortion clinics, have their petty, jealous murderous magical overlord kill millions because his feelings were hurt.

You are only a christian mythologist because of where you were born. If you were born in India you would most likely be a Hindu, in Saudi Arabia a muslim, in japan maybe a taoist. Statistically speaking. It is amazing that you are fooled by a religion that is NOT even the most popular in the area of its creation. There are more Jews in Israel and more Muslims in Babylon.

Religion is the oldest corporation in the world. They rely on magical stories and emotions instead of logic, rationality, and evidence.

magic is imaginary

god is imaginary
wow

Beckley, WV

#12 Feb 20, 2011
Jesus G Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
So that makes not believing in a magical overlords makes you a bad person? The buddhists are the most peaceful people in the history of the world. Their magic is different that your magic. But they have never incited an inquisition, murdered deniers, fought wars in the name of their magic, burned women as witches, bombed abortion clinics, have their petty, jealous murderous magical overlord kill millions because his feelings were hurt.
You are only a christian mythologist because of where you were born. If you were born in India you would most likely be a Hindu, in Saudi Arabia a muslim, in japan maybe a taoist. Statistically speaking. It is amazing that you are fooled by a religion that is NOT even the most popular in the area of its creation. There are more Jews in Israel and more Muslims in Babylon.
Religion is the oldest corporation in the world. They rely on magical stories and emotions instead of logic, rationality, and evidence.
magic is imaginary
god is imaginary
in the earlier stages of religion they got all the smart people together and came up with "the root of all evil is greed. in modern time scientists did the same their answer was religion
Hmmm

Marion, VA

#13 Feb 20, 2011
I read a quote before that said.

"Going to church does not make you a christian...just like standing in your garage don't make you a car."

Just because someone goes to church does not mean they are saved or a christian...But going to church does help to give you the spirtual nourishment you need.
Just sayin

Beckley, WV

#14 Feb 20, 2011
What is read in the bible can be depicted very many ways. It all depends on the person reading it and how they interpret it. Going to church neither makes you good or bad or not going neither makes you good or bad. You can be just as close to God without ever stepping foot in a church. A church is used to congregate and surround yourself with people of the same beliefs. However it says in the bible to worship at your temple and then further says your body is your temple. Depending on how you interpret it is what you will believe. It says if you talk to God to go into your closet and pray. Now I don't think this actually means to do that but if you have something to say it should be between you and God not everyone else. So does this make churches wrong for praying out loud? No. Again it is how you interpret it. Some may believe one way and others may believe something totally different. I personally do not go to church. I have been to many different ones and know many people that go. I will not go and surround myself with others that I know out right lie and cheat and then try to be good on Sunday. To me this is a hypocrite. I have my beliefs and will be judged when the time comes. My only judge is God and no one else. So why should I go into a church where others are judging you on how you look today or how you talk or if you say something they do not agree with. Nope, not me.
backwoods girl

United States

#15 Feb 21, 2011
I like "hmmms" quote and that is so true and "just saying" i agree with you all the way. Ive worked with a couple of women that were in church every time the doors were open. 1 lady is the best person u will ever meet..give a stranger the shirt off her back. The other 1 turned out to be the greediest person ive ever meet and is stabbing u in the back with the sweetest smile on her fake face.
amazed at this

Bluefield, WV

#16 Feb 21, 2011
Hmmm wrote:
I read a quote before that said.
"Going to church does not make you a christian...just like standing in your garage don't make you a car."
Just because someone goes to church does not mean they are saved or a christian...But going to church does help to give you the spirtual nourishment you need.
i agree with this post. Jesus tells us not to foresake gathering together. he encourages us to attend church. going to church is supposed to help us grow in our spiritual life and it allows us to be surrounded by other believers. church is a place to help strengthen us in our christian walk. going to church is an act of legalism if Jesus is not in your heart. we go there to be with him not for him. he does not need us, we need him. hes already saved and sitting at the right hand of God the father waiting on us to turn to him. i agree that many churches are full of people who attend for the wrong reasons and that makes attending church difficult. lets pray and ask God to point us un the direction of a spirit filled Christ centered church.

“GOD FREE”

Level 1

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#17 Feb 21, 2011
Going to church makes you a sheep. Sheep are mindless and cowardly animals that will do what ever their master tells them. Therefore, one could be considered a slave and thats makes "GOD" a slave driver.

I really want to serve a "GOD" that treats me as a slave. FAIL!
Level 1

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#18 Feb 21, 2011
Messiahbolical wrote:
Going to church makes you a sheep. Sheep are mindless and cowardly animals that will do what ever their master tells them. Therefore, one could be considered a slave and thats makes "GOD" a slave driver.
I really want to serve a "GOD" that treats me as a slave. FAIL!
just to let you know your a douche....just saying even if you dont believe it you should not taunt other ppl with it...that has nothing to do with region its called respect and you should show some
south park

Bluefield, WV

#19 Feb 21, 2011
Messiahbolical wrote:
Going to church makes you a sheep. Sheep are mindless and cowardly animals that will do what ever their master tells them. Therefore, one could be considered a slave and thats makes "GOD" a slave driver.
I really want to serve a "GOD" that treats me as a slave. FAIL!
dont worry about serving God, your god is in hell waiting on you. you are not worthy to refer to God as anything. when i read posts like yours, i deepen my belief and faith in God because he died for people like you.
south park

Bluefield, WV

#20 Feb 21, 2011
Messiahbolical wrote:
Going to church makes you a sheep. Sheep are mindless and cowardly animals that will do what ever their master tells them. Therefore, one could be considered a slave and thats makes "GOD" a slave driver.
I really want to serve a "GOD" that treats me as a slave. FAIL!
and dont worry, you are really GOD FREE. THINK ABOUT IT.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Princeton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
princton Coummity hospital 18 min Better off quitting 6
PCH Executives play while employees struggle 26 min Better off quitting 24
I've been screwing your hubby! 27 min SweetnNaughty6969 64
Princeton Homecoming 29 min Fruit of the Loom 17
Keep a word, drop a word (May '12) 45 min single91f 2,110
***"prayer line topic"*** (Nov '11) 2 hr Peaches1943 6,483
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 2 hr fitness-guru 58,936
Princeton Dating
Find my Match

Princeton Jobs

Princeton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Princeton News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Princeton

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]