Relatives charged in Thanksgiving hunting death of teen

Full story: Mid-Hudson News

The grandfather and cousin of a 13-year-old boy, who was shot while hunting last Thanksgiving with family member in a wooded area off Route 42 in Sparrowbush, were charged yesterday in connection with the boy's ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of130
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
yaa

Wantagh, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Feb 10, 2006
 
i think this is all bull shit jake shouldnt be in trouble what so ever the other boy mike is lying out his ass and should be in trouble for lying the mother too is a half wite i guess this is what you get u get trust nor be by family you dont know well and jake has never hurt anyone in anyway and probly never will so ppl need to confess the truth about him...
out of state curiosity

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Feb 10, 2006
 
Hunting accidents are a known statistic.Could there be pressure on the state to produce a scapegoat? I'm curious as to why the mother lost custody to begin with? Also, if the grandparents had custody of the child, where has the father been during this time? What is the story behind the story?
lea

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Feb 11, 2006
 
out of state curiosity wrote:
Hunting accidents are a known statistic.Could there be pressure on the state to produce a scapegoat? I'm curious as to why the mother lost custody to begin with? Also, if the grandparents had custody of the child, where has the father been during this time? What is the story behind the story?
they are not injail because they accidently shot the child.they are there because David wasn't a priority saving their own asses came first ,what normal adult wouldn't think of the childs well being first.?????????
ethel

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Feb 11, 2006
 
there is another side to this story. why is it not being told!
yours truly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Feb 11, 2006
 
yaa wrote:
i think this is all bull shit jake shouldnt be in trouble what so ever the other boy mike is lying out his ass and should be in trouble for lying the mother too is a half wite i guess this is what you get u get trust nor be by family you dont know well and jake has never hurt anyone in anyway and probly never will so ppl need to confess the truth about him...
You should read all the articles before acusing anyone. The facts will all come out.
yours truly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Feb 11, 2006
 
DA: Cousin kicked boy as he lay shot, dying

By Oliver Mackson
Times Herald-Record
omackson@th-record.com
Goshen - As 13-year-old David Kingston cried out for help, bleeding from a rifle wound in his back, his 38-year-old cousin kicked him and threatened to duct-tape his mouth if he didn't shut up.

A prosecutor yesterday told that story to an Orange County Court judge as Jake Kingston Jr. of Port Jervis and Wayne Kingston Sr. of Huguenot were arraigned on felony charges of manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide and misdemeanor charges of taking deer without antlers. They're accused of retrieving two illegally hunted does before they got help for David, who was pronounced dead at a Port Jervis hospital more than two hours after the Thanksgiving Day shooting.

"The deer got better treatment than their family member," Assistant District Attorney David Hoovler said at yesterday's arraignment.

Wayne Kingston Sr. was David's grandfather; Jake Kingston Jr. was his cousin. Michael Kingston Jr., who was David's twin brother, was the fourth member of a hunting party that entered the woods in Sparrowbush, near the Sullivan County line, on Nov. 24, 2005, Thanksgiving morning.

Sometime between 10 and 10:30 a.m., Wayne Kingston fired a shot from his .243 Winchester rifle, and it hit David in the back. At first, Wayne Kingston denied hitting his grandson, telling Department of Environmental Conservation police Investigator Bernard Rivers, "I shot my gun - firearm - at a deer, and it startled my grandson, who fell and hit his head."

Later, Wayne Kingston changed his story. On a state hunting accident report, he wrote that as he and the twins were walking in the woods when "I saw a deer jump up and I took a shot at the deer. Right after the shot I heard someone screaming for help, I took off towards the yelling and found my grandson near Wood Road. My grandson said that he was shot."

The hunting reports and the statements are all contained in court records that are part of the case.

David's twin brother told police and a grand jury that the Kingstons went into the woods to retrieve the does that Jake shot before they put David into their truck and took him to the home of Jake Kingston's father, where they called 911.

The surviving twin, in a statement witnessed by his mother, told police that he heard David say, "I think I'm dying," and that he couldn't feel his legs before the adult Kingstons brought him out of the woods.

According to police and court records, it took between an hour and 20 minutes and an hour and 40 minutes for David to get medical treatment after he was shot. He was pronounced dead at Bon Secours Hospital in Port Jervis at 12:44 p.m., according to a death certificate.

Yesterday, Judge Stewart Rosenwasser set $50,000 cash bail and $500,000 bond for both of the Kingstons. They were being held in Orange County Jail pending court appearances later this month.

Lawyers for the two men said they don't have enough money to make bail. Wayne Kingston filed for bankruptcy about a month before the hunting accident, according to court records.

His son, Wayne Jr., said his family didn't want to talk yesterday.

Jake Kingston started to argue in court yesterday, after Hoovler told the judge about his kicking and threatening to duct-tape the dying boy's mouth.

"I didn't kick him," Jake Kingston told the judge.

In a statement to police, he said he told David that "he had to stop yelling and screaming because he was gonna have all the hunters over there. I told him that I would have to duct (tape) his mouth shut."

Jake also had a question for state police that day. According to a statement filed by investigators, he "wanted to know if he was going to lose his hunting permit after all this is over."
kayla

Poughkeepsie, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Feb 11, 2006
 
shut up u ppl god my father did not kick him nor say anythin about duck taping him hes not a person liike that mybe his mother is cuz she the one that harmed them y do u think thye lived wit his grandparents
just curious

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Feb 12, 2006
 
If you say he didn't then why does the statement he gave police say he did say it.
lea

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Feb 12, 2006
 
just curious wrote:
If you say he didn't then why does the statement he gave police say he did say it.
You have to understand this is a confused child who loves her dad,she has to believe in him.They believe this whole thing is about family loyalty and that is why the dear came first.After all they were only covering their own asses first and all else be damned.THANK GOD WE DON'T ALL THINK LIKE THAT!
yours truly

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Feb 12, 2006
 
midhudsonnews.com stated the following in their article:

The boys grandfather, Wayne Kingston, 59, of Huguenot, and cousin, Jake Kingston, 39, of Port Jervis were arraigned on charges of second-degree manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide and taking a deer without a permit.

District Attorney Frank Phillips said the indictments allege reckless and criminally negligent conduct; they do not allege that the men intentionally caused the death of the boy. The DAs office believes one of the men shot the boy, which proved to be fatal, and then failed to attempt to obtain medical assistance for over an hour. Their first act after shooting the boy was to spent time hiding the carcasses of two deer they shot without permits.

Honestly, I feel very bothered that any adult would put a dead dear carcas before a child, and if they did that to a dying child that was persay theirs, then where would they place their own child's welfare and safety. Before or after their own desires??????????
cll

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Feb 12, 2006
 
yours truly wrote:
<quoted text>
You should read all the articles before acusing anyone. The facts will all come out.
Facts are guilty or not,they will live with this.
carpenter

Elizabeth, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Feb 16, 2006
 
yaa wrote:
i think this is all bull shit jake shouldnt be in trouble what so ever the other boy mike is lying out his ass and should be in trouble for lying the mother too is a half wite i guess this is what you get u get trust nor be by family you dont know well and jake has never hurt anyone in anyway and probly never will so ppl need to confess the truth about him...
R you a moron Jake kicked the kid and would have rather saved to pouched deer than save a kid. And to have the nerve to ask if he'd get his hunting licence back what a doosh.
plumber

Elizabeth, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Feb 16, 2006
 
jake is gay
Out of State relative

Chicopee, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Feb 19, 2006
 
I agree that the time wasted on the deer was wrong and my uncle must live with that realization for the rest of his life. I also know that the fact that David was shot was not known by his grandfather until they reached the hospital. I totally believe that had he known the seriousness of the situation, that David would have come first. Wayne had put his whole life into raising those boys and would never had reacted that way had he known that David was shot.
electrician

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Feb 20, 2006
 
It's about time we hear some truth of the accident and the real story behind it. THANK YOU out of state relitive!!!!!!
Erin

East Stroudsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Feb 22, 2006
 
none of you know what the hell is going on. Great you have an opinion...but maybe you should know some FACTS before shooting your mouths off.
I know they made some mistakes, Big time. But ive known Jake all my life, i know he would not harm that child in any way.
absolutely amazed

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Feb 28, 2006
 
Goshen - Jacob Kingston Jr. didn't fire the shot that killed his 13-year-old cousin on Thanksgiving. He didn't have legal custody of the boy. Add up those facts, his lawyer says, and it's reason for the 38-year-old Port Jervis man to get a break in court.

"There's a legal distinction between somebody who has a legal responsibility to act and somebody who doesn't," said Kingston's lawyer, Dan Blizard of Middletown, after an off-the-record huddle in Orange County Court yesterday to discuss the case against Kingston and his uncle, Wayne Kingston Sr. of Huguenot. They're both charged with second-degree manslaughter in the Thanksgiving Day shooting death of 13-year-old David Kingston. David and his twin brother lived with Wayne Kingston and his wife, Kathleen.

Blizard's remarks gave a glimpse of the behind-the-scenes maneuvering in the case. If it's not resolved by plea bargain, Blizard is prepared to argue that state law doesn't require bystanders to assist crime victims. "That's a legal definition," he said, "as opposed to what you or I might consider a moral or ethical obligation."

Nonetheless, Blizard said, "He couldn't feel any worse about this. He's not a cold guy."

David was shot in the back while he and his brother were hunting with relatives in Sparrowbush. He bled to death, according to a death certificate.

"There's evidence that both Jake and Wayne looked him over and tried to find a gunshot wound, and both of them claim that they saw no wound. There's no contradictory evidence on that point," Blizard said. In a statement to police, Jacob Kingston said he saw blood around David's face, "and I thought that maybe he bit his tongue. Maybe because he fell."

The Kingstons are due back in court on March 20. Prosecutors haven't put a plea-bargain offer on the record. One prosecutor, David Hoovler, told a judge that Jake Kingston kicked David while he was on the ground, then threatened to duct-tape his mouth shut if he didn't stop wailing.

Kingston denied kicking the boy.

*********UNREAL******* isnt it...
NO BARGINS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Feb 28, 2006
 
absolutely amazed wrote:
Goshen - Jacob Kingston Jr. didn't fire the shot that killed his 13-year-old cousin on Thanksgiving. He didn't have legal custody of the boy. Add up those facts, his lawyer says, and it's reason for the 38-year-old Port Jervis man to get a break in court.

"There's a legal distinction between somebody who has a legal responsibility to act and somebody who doesn't," said Kingston's lawyer, Dan Blizard of Middletown, after an off-the-record huddle in Orange County Court yesterday to discuss the case against Kingston and his uncle, Wayne Kingston Sr. of Huguenot. They're both charged with second-degree manslaughter in the Thanksgiving Day shooting death of 13-year-old David Kingston. David and his twin brother lived with Wayne Kingston and his wife, Kathleen.

Blizard's remarks gave a glimpse of the behind-the-scenes maneuvering in the case. If it's not resolved by plea bargain, Blizard is prepared to argue that state law doesn't require bystanders to assist crime victims. "That's a legal definition," he said, "as opposed to what you or I might consider a moral or ethical obligation."

Nonetheless, Blizard said, "He couldn't feel any worse about this. He's not a cold guy."

David was shot in the back while he and his brother were hunting with relatives in Sparrowbush. He bled to death, according to a death certificate.

"There's evidence that both Jake and Wayne looked him over and tried to find a gunshot wound, and both of them claim that they saw no wound. There's no contradictory evidence on that point," Blizard said. In a statement to police, Jacob Kingston said he saw blood around David's face, "and I thought that maybe he bit his tongue. Maybe because he fell."

The Kingstons are due back in court on March 20. Prosecutors haven't put a plea-bargain offer on the record. One prosecutor, David Hoovler, told a judge that Jake Kingston kicked David while he was on the ground, then threatened to duct-tape his mouth shut if he didn't stop wailing.

Kingston denied kicking the boy.

*********UNREAL******* isnt it...
As a bystander he wasn't legally obligated to save the childs life, but he felt he had the right to tell the child to be quiet or he would duct tape his mouth. The law didn't matter when the illegal dear was shot,or when he took part in hideing them. What bothers me most is what was going through David's mind as he lay dyeing in the woods and how alone he must have felt. Please LORD let this go to trial.****NO PLEA BARGINS!!*** Let a jury of their peers decide on the evidence.****
afriendofthemoth er

Ogden, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Feb 28, 2006
 
Look ppl you are trying to put blame on the mother and how can you do that ? Them boys are old enough to go hunting. So ask yourselfs this... what would you mothers have been doing while your son is out hunting with there father ? I have known Toyna for yrs and i will not sit here and have you degrade her when she was at home. Ppl do change and sometimes they change for the better ,and that is her . Like someone said befor you all need to look in your own backyard and leave her alone !
Also if it was for anyone to know why she didn't have them boys my guess would be that if she wanted everyone to know then MAYBE SHE WOULD TELL YOU but as far as that goes it is noone's DAMN bussnes!
absolutely amazed

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Feb 28, 2006
 
she couldnt have changed to much!!! when she petitioned the courts for custody of the other child it was denied...so what does that tell ya?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of130
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Port Jervis News Video

•••
•••

Port Jervis Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Port Jervis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••