New stores slated for Poplar Bluff

Posted in the Poplar Bluff Forum

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Resources

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Oct 12, 2011
Ok, well I just heard from a very reliable source that: Cracker Barrel, Kohls, Menards, Sams Club, and a new hotel have been given the approval to begin construction at the 8 points site within the next few months.
here

Poplar Bluff, MO

#3 Oct 12, 2011
Hahahahaha! what is your "reliable source" high? You have no idea what it takes to open these types of places nor that Poplar Bluff is not a demographically viable place to put most of these. Our extremely high poverty rate alone is enough to knock us out of most big name stores right off the bat.
Heard the Same

Saint Louis, MO

#4 Oct 12, 2011
Here- Where are you getting your demographics? Don't let your own personal finances speak for the entire community. It blows my mind how someone can put up something positive, for a simple minded idiot to come up within matters of minutes and start showing their stupidity. Before you start to calling people "high" do some research.. you will be eating your words soon enough! Oh, and maybe ask someone who went to the IBEW meeting (City Employees).
get it right

Poplar Bluff, MO

#5 Oct 12, 2011
not true that they were given approval... anyone with half a brain knows that companies of that size have a firm that runs demographics, cost-benefit analysis, traffic stats, etc before even filling out the preliminary paperwork required to build.

There is a firm doing preliminary investigatory work, but that does not mean that any business that the firm may represent will build here.
Resources wrote:
Ok, well I just heard from a very reliable source that: Cracker Barrel, Kohls, Menards, Sams Club, and a new hotel have been given the approval to begin construction at the 8 points site within the next few months.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#6 Oct 12, 2011
Some people on here do not realize PB is on the brink of great growth and we should all be excited for what's to come. I also heard Cracker Barrel and it's future location here. It's hard for some to see PB head into a successful time and rejoice at every failure that has ever happened here.
blaze

Saint Louis, MO

#7 Oct 12, 2011
Of those, maybe Cracker Barrel, but why would you want that...there are other home cooking restaurants that are better in PB...and they are OWNED by PB people...

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#8 Oct 12, 2011
Heard the Same wrote:
Here- Where are you getting your demographics? Don't let your own personal finances speak for the entire community. It blows my mind how someone can put up something positive, for a simple minded idiot to come up within matters of minutes and start showing their stupidity. Before you start to calling people "high" do some research.. you will be eating your words soon enough! Oh, and maybe ask someone who went to the IBEW meeting (City Employees).
Don't know where you have been, but this is one of the poorest communities in Missouri! 1% wealthy/ 99% below poverty level living in shacks! It would be nice if those businesses could make it here in Poplar Bluff, but you are just building more empty properties! Maybe you haven't taken a real good look at your town, but what I see is a bunch of empty "For Sale" properties and stripmalls! Field of Dreams "Build it and they will come!" The best way to build this community is to build the economics first otherwise nothing you build will last! Unfortunately, there are no good fulltime jobs therefore no economic growth! People in this town live paycheck to paycheck, except for those few who have money and pocket it! Maybe you should bring this up at the next IBEW meeting! Don't get me wrong, but you people have a tendency to put the cart before the horse!

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#9 Oct 12, 2011
blaze wrote:
Of those, maybe Cracker Barrel, but why would you want that...there are other home cooking restaurants that are better in PB...and they are OWNED by PB people...
What restaurants are you referring to? I seriously doubt they are better than Cracker Barrel!

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#10 Oct 12, 2011
gregb420 wrote:
<quoted text>Don't know where you have been, but this is one of the poorest communities in Missouri! 1% wealthy/ 99% below poverty level living in shacks! It would be nice if those businesses could make it here in Poplar Bluff, but you are just building more empty properties! Maybe you haven't taken a real good look at your town, but what I see is a bunch of empty "For Sale" properties and stripmalls! Field of Dreams "Build it and they will come!" The best way to build this community is to build the economics first otherwise nothing you build will last! Unfortunately, there are no good fulltime jobs therefore no economic growth! People in this town live paycheck to paycheck, except for those few who have money and pocket it! Maybe you should bring this up at the next IBEW meeting! Don't get me wrong, but you people have a tendency to put the cart before the horse!
Another downer imagine that! Where do you get your 1% and 99% numbers?
sux

Poplar Bluff, MO

#11 Oct 12, 2011
cracker barrel sux
hmmmm

United States

#12 Oct 12, 2011
So does jcpenny,home depot, and coltons stay in business here?..... Pretty sure they do good.....

Since: Aug 11

United States

#13 Oct 12, 2011
Well I hope its true. Cracker Barrel- Sams Club would be so cool! Are you kidding me? That would be awesome. I'll wait and see.
Supporter

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Oct 12, 2011
These people are complete idiots.. they will argue with anything.. let them think what they want! PB is growing.. We will get these new businesses, the ones arguing/complaining, are the ones that can't afford it, so they don't want to see other enjoy PB!

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#15 Oct 12, 2011
PB Native 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Another downer imagine that! Where do you get your 1% and 99% numbers?
Have you ever really been through your own town! Yes there are some nice homes down off Barron rd.Everywhere else there shacks!Drive down Park go to the eastside vere off Main St go down Ditch rd.!Just open your eyes!There is Briggs and Stratton, Gates and a few other factories! But most of the jobs here are part-time! I would love to see this town thrive! And 1%/99% might be off a little bit, but not by much!Its not a downer but it is reality! You business owners have the ability to change your town, question is will you? Potential is there, effort isn't! I've lived here for 4 years, and I do well for myself, but I was set when I moved here but most of your town folk have nothing!
Yep

Poplar Bluff, MO

#16 Oct 12, 2011
Cracker Barrel is coming here. Local companies have bid sheet for them. I do not like Kohl's or the other places mentioned....except maybe Sam's Club.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#17 Oct 12, 2011
Supporter wrote:
These people are complete idiots.. they will argue with anything.. let them think what they want! PB is growing.. We will get these new businesses, the ones arguing/complaining, are the ones that can't afford it, so they don't want to see other enjoy PB!
Thats it another snob! These places sound great, but with your towns economy they won't last! Building another hotel, wasn't there a Peartree inn, didn't it close down, in fact they just tore it down not to long ago! Thats just one example, it sounds great on paper but can these companies actually survive in your town? Fact of the matter is your town doesn't generate enough money to keep these new companies thriving! Your town can't afford it!!!!!!!!

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#18 Oct 12, 2011
want good jos
say union say
option

Poplar Bluff, MO

#19 Oct 12, 2011
Yep wrote:
Cracker Barrel is coming here. Local companies have bid sheet for them. I do not like Kohl's or the other places mentioned....except maybe Sam's Club.
I don't know of any cracker barrels not off of major interstates. I thought that was their thing. I don't think 60 counts as a major highway. We shall see. But a cracker barrel doesn't really make sense here any time soon.
here

Poplar Bluff, MO

#20 Oct 12, 2011
Heard the Same wrote:
Here- Where are you getting your demographics? Don't let your own personal finances speak for the entire community. It blows my mind how someone can put up something positive, for a simple minded idiot to come up within matters of minutes and start showing their stupidity. Before you start to calling people "high" do some research.. you will be eating your words soon enough! Oh, and maybe ask someone who went to the IBEW meeting (City Employees).
Way to make yourself look bright. It takes less than 5 minutes to look up the statistics for this area. If you want the rosy picture(which really isn't all that rosy) painted by our own city the following stats can be found on the poplar bluff chamber of
commerce's website:

Income Information:
Median Household Income:

Poplar Bluff $24,068
Butler County $27,775
Average Household Income:

Poplar Bluff $31,559
Butler County $38,000
Per Capita Personal Income:

Poplar Bluff $15,996
Butler County $24,618

so our own city is telling us that a lot of people live at poverty level or lower, not all but quite a few.

If you look at

http://www.simplyhired.com/a/local-jobs/city/...

it will tell a slightly worse story where at least 50% of poplar bluff residents live in poverty and are likely to keep living in poverty because only 17% of the population get any kind of degree to qualify them for a better job.

If I were looking to build a new store I would want a place that has money to spend at it not a broke town that will make me close the store a year or two down the line because it is loosing too much money. Also someone doing a demographics check from a major brand does not mean that they are ready to move in, it just means they want to see if it is even possible for them to build a viable store in the area.

So now that you have seen that I have already looked up my facts previous to my first comment maybe you should heed your own words to avoid looking like a fool. Also seeing as you know nothing about me or my personal fiances you might want to rethink random slander...it doesn't do you any credit. Just to let you know about what side of the 17% I fall under (before you open your mouth and insert your foot any further)I am willing to bet I have far more education than you do.
not in pb now

Forest Hills, NY

#21 Oct 12, 2011
according to zipskinny

http://zipskinny.com/index.php...

Economic Indicators
Household Income
<$10,000 15.7%
$10,000-$14,999 11.8%
$15,000-$24,999 18.3%
$25,000-$34,999 15.5%
$35,000-$49,999 15.3%
$50,000-$74,999 13.9%
$75,000-$99,999 4.3%
$100,000-$149,999 3.1%
$150,000-$199,999 0.8%
$200,000+ 1.3%

Occupation
(among employed persons over 16)
Mgt./Professional 27.5%
Service 16.3%
Sales/Office 25.5%
Farm/Fishing/Forestry 0.5%
Construction/Extraction/Maint. 8.9%
Production/Transportation 21.4%

Unemployment/Poverty
Unemployed 3.7%
Below Poverty Line 19.3%
Median Household Income:$27,359

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poplar Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
male for dateing and fun 2 hr lovelyoe 1
Josh miller lawnmower business 4 hr DollyDearest 4
bootheel saloon 4 hr larry 15
lights at night 5 hr Just Saying 4
samantha osborn. aka sambo 5 hr guest 114
it's hilarious, that Mexican was murdered LOL 6 hr Injun 9
info on mary dawn 6 hr donika 3
Body in Black River? 13 hr Dr Lector 7
Poplar Bluff Dating
Find my Match

Poplar Bluff Jobs

Poplar Bluff People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Poplar Bluff News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Poplar Bluff

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]