First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pissed

Vilonia, AR

#1 Apr 11, 2012
I just hope that the ones responsible for the lay-off can sleep really good at night knowing that they are putting good hard working people (that actually have families to support and bills that need to be paid)out on the preverbial streets. It must be nice not to have concerns for anyone other than yourself. My family is going to be affected by this we needed that paycheck and i realize that most people need their incomes but to put that many people out of work that takes something really slimey that might have at one time resembled a human being but in their quest for money turned into something less than scum on the bottom of a sewer. I pray for all the families that view this situation the same way i do and that something truely better comes your way

Poplar Bluff, MO

#2 Apr 11, 2012
Who else got laid off or how many more?
worklife reply to pissed

Poplar Bluff, MO

#3 Apr 11, 2012
Well everyone knew this was coming.They walked a few salary folks out today.I do believe that you and those others going will have a hard time, but you will probably be happier. I don't think that they are done even after this lay off. If you would have been listening in the meetings at productivity time, you would have realized that is was time to start looking befor everyone else gets out there. They have been telling us.
Im sorry if you and your family is gonna suffer, Im just a person that thinks things will work out if you stay positive.But I know it doesn't feed the family...
Pissed

Vilonia, AR

#4 Apr 11, 2012
Im just venting we are in the process of looking for better things. I know that GOD will see to it that we are taken care of. But it is still very frustrating to know that some corporate jack-a** is lining his pockets, or a couple of corporate jerks are lining thier pockets because people that we loyal to the company are now being walked out the door. I didnt work their but my other half did. He is a proud man and this kills him knowing that we wont have his paycheck coming in. He hates thinking that things are going to get really tough on us. Thats all i am saying ......I just think that in this economy jobs are very hard to find and even with the advanced warning it is difficult just to walk in somewhere and walk out with a new source of income. I just thought that the scum responsible should feel some guilt as to the hardship they are putting on the ones they are just throwing away.
jaye

Dexter, MO

#5 Apr 12, 2012
they laid off some supervisors and a human resource this morning
hmm

Poplar Bluff, MO

#6 Apr 12, 2012
Poplar bluff regional did the same thing in December. Laid off about 200. Never heard a word about it in the news. Still havent found a job. This town is going to die, if corporate greed does not stop.
I am sorry

Poplar Bluff, MO

#7 Apr 12, 2012
guys, I know that corporate greed may have a little to do with this, but really, the main reason is the economy. If the company doesn't have the orders coming in, they can't pay people to stand around making nothing. There are thousands of people getting laid off or already been laid off in the last couple of years in every industry, not just manufacturing. Been there myself. It is scary. I truly hope you and everyone else affected by this will make it through as easy as possible. I really think that things will improve when the economy finally recovers. We all just have to find ways to keep our heads above water until then.
Info

Dexter, MO

#8 Apr 12, 2012
You want a job??

Gates is Hiring!
Info

Dexter, MO

#9 Apr 12, 2012
hmm wrote:
Poplar bluff regional did the same thing in December. Laid off about 200. Never heard a word about it in the news. Still havent found a job. This town is going to die, if corporate greed does not stop.
It's not Corporate greed if the Companies are not making enough money to pay their workforce!

Realize something, when other areas in this Country were hit hard, I do remember that the Companies in these areas did EVERYTHING possible to keep people at work.

These Factories are always Hiring, Laying off and Closing Down in one place and opening in another. That is how Manufacturing is nowadays.

When Technology finds new ways to do things, it effects Manufacturing Jobs.

When the Government signs our lives away for something like NAFTA and allowing/encouraging for companies to outsourcing to other countries, it effects Manufacturing Jobs.

The communities in SE Missouri have been very lucky through these times....Just think and remember, it could be allot worse!

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#10 Apr 12, 2012
I am sorry wrote:
guys, I know that corporate greed may have a little to do with this, but really, the main reason is the economy. If the company doesn't have the orders coming in, they can't pay people to stand around making nothing. There are thousands of people getting laid off or already been laid off in the last couple of years in every industry, not just manufacturing. Been there myself. It is scary. I truly hope you and everyone else affected by this will make it through as easy as possible. I really think that things will improve when the economy finally recovers. We all just have to find ways to keep our heads above water until then.
Thanks for bringing a bit of sanity to the conversation. If the company doesn't cut costs and retract when things are bad, they won't be around to create jobs when things are good.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#11 Apr 12, 2012
But the propaganda is working exactly as our current party in power wants. "You can't count on the company you work for. Too much corporate greed. But you can always count on one thing. THE GOVERNMENT! We will always be there for you. Not like those greedy rich people."
If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you will always have Paul's vote.
popeye

Dexter, MO

#12 Apr 12, 2012
actually corporate greed had a lot to do with it when they got their annual million dollar bonuses then started laying off dont you think? they were losing orders yes so maybe they should have took a bonus cut they did it before
The Other Side

United States

#13 Apr 12, 2012
Here's a thought. If it was corporate greed then go out and develop build a better engine and a better business model and start your own company.

There is always room in the business world for start-ups.
still working

Poplar Bluff, MO

#14 Apr 13, 2012
Lets see the company is in business to make money. they hire folks to make the product. If the product sells then everyone is happy... Oh wait a few years ago people were complying about not having time to spend with the family as Briggs was causing them to have to work over time.Now the economic status of the U.S. fails but Briggs is still making motors. Bail outs all over the place and no effect on Briggs. Now we factor in what is going on in Europe and we start losing sales, then in the U.S. we have high gas prices. Are we going to buy a high end mower or the cheep Freds one ? You got it Murry is working there butts off and P.B. is waiting for the next wave of sales to hit. Its just one of those things driven by the economic atmosphere . not greed... You are in Business to make money. If you do not then you close or you take a action plan to keep your core in tack. Just my view on the deal... Oh yes and my family has been effected by the lay offs. that is Business
Briggs Employee

United States

#15 Apr 13, 2012
The person that you should blame is Obama. When he took over gas was $1.70 a gallon here and the unempoyment rate wasn't that bad. Now look where he has taken us to....New lows everyweek! Vote that sorry nogood A$$ wipe out of office this fall......
old timer

Ballwin, MO

#16 Apr 13, 2012
who was let go in the front office or the salary people
Reply_Spy_CIA

Dexter, MO

#17 Apr 13, 2012
Briggs Employee wrote:
The person that you should blame is Obama. When he took over gas was $1.70 a gallon here and the unempoyment rate wasn't that bad. Now look where he has taken us to....New lows everyweek! Vote that sorry nogood A$$ wipe out of office this fall......
I don't remember fuel being $1.70 a gallon when Obama came into office. I remember it passing the $4.00 mark when Bush was still in.
Name

Qulin, MO

#18 Apr 14, 2012
I will count on Obama and the government. Thanks to the TRA, TAA, unemployment, MC+ for my kids, Pell Grants and food stamps I'm going to be able to live comfortably while being a full time college student. While you bitch about corporate greed and how "the man" is holding you down, I'm gonna take this oppurtunity to move ahead in life so I can get a chunk of that greed and one step closer to being "the man"

This was a blessing for anyone not to lazy to take advantage of the oppurtunity, no matter age or education, this is a chance to better yourself.
former briggs employee

Greenbrier, AR

#19 Apr 16, 2012
does anyone else have problems getting their 401k money? Apparently I can't get mine because my status says layoff. And when i called them today, they said it will be on there a year, so i can't get MY money for a year. I'm afraid that if I had them change it, or tell them I'm not coming back, then it will mess up my unemployment and going back to college. Anyone else run into this yet?
windy chimes

Dexter, MO

#20 Apr 17, 2012
i have heard it will mess up your unemployment dont know for sure dont do anything without getting it in writing so you have proof!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poplar Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 29 min Obama Bitches 97,285
Blacks in Polar Bluff 1 hr Guest 24
Sharon lots of last names 1 hr Truth 1
gays 2 hr great one 7
Harps 8 hr Dipaer 19
Girls in bluff 9 hr shes awesome 23
Missing person Jerry Carr Jr(Cheez) 10 hr worried love one 1
Poplar Bluff Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Poplar Bluff Jobs

Poplar Bluff People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE