First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Fishy business

Johnson City, TN

#1 May 22, 2012
Our schools need $839,000 after big state budget cuts.

http://www.starhq.com/2012/05/20/county-schoo...

Kent Williams is obsessed with a $21 million fish hatchery where it took $800,000 just to draw the plans.

http://www.starhq.com/2012/05/22/commissioner...

What a idiot!
Forward

Elizabethton, TN

#2 May 23, 2012
No the idiots are the people who keep voting for him!
Idiots

Johnson City, TN

#3 May 23, 2012
Fishy business wrote:
Our schools need $839,000 after big state budget cuts.
http://www.starhq.com/2012/05/20/county-schoo...
Kent Williams is obsessed with a $21 million fish hatchery where it took $800,000 just to draw the plans.
http://www.starhq.com/2012/05/22/commissioner...
What a idiot!
He had secured funds for the project but redirected them to go to our tech schools because he felt that was more important at the time....a little confused at the confusion here.
another idiot

Kingsport, TN

#4 May 23, 2012
Some feel payback is in order for Williams .He has probabley got all he can get and done all he can do.People live in a bubble here when it comes to Williams
Idiots

Johnson City, TN

#5 May 23, 2012
another idiot wrote:
Some feel payback is in order for Williams .He has probabley got all he can get and done all he can do.People live in a bubble here when it comes to Williams
I agree. He jumped ship and I was one who it angered and strongly disagreed how it went about..however, I don't let it cloud facts.
Ramsey

Johnson City, TN

#6 May 23, 2012
Idiots wrote:
<quoted text>
He had secured funds for the project but redirected them to go to our tech schools because he felt that was more important at the time....a little confused at the confusion here.
He never got the funds in the first place: getting the Tech Center upgrades was a different project proposed by Republicans. Sad that they had to TELL him education matters more than fishing.
David Williams

Kingsport, TN

#7 May 23, 2012
You all do realize that the purpose of the hatchery is to bring money into the county right? Since we don't have an income tax funds for things such as schools depend on the sales tax. The only way to do that is give people a reason to come and spend money. The increase in tourism will also spawn a growth in small businesses. So not only will the hatchery provide more tax dollars(most of which will come from people that don't even live here) but will also put more money directly in the pockets of Carter County citizens. I have yet to hear a valid argument of why this should not happen.
Ramsey

Johnson City, TN

#8 May 23, 2012
David Williams wrote:
I have yet to hear a valid argument of why this should not happen.
Because we can do a lot more for our people and our businesses with $21 million.

Anyway the fishery and everything else for Carter County will stay in the commode until either Kent's Democrat buddies take back over or he gets beat.
David Williams

Kingsport, TN

#9 May 23, 2012
How would a one time 21 million dollar infusion be better than something that would generate that amount many times over for many years? Your logic is flawed.
Ramsey

Johnson City, TN

#10 May 23, 2012
David Williams wrote:
How would a one time 21 million dollar infusion be better than something that would generate that amount many times over for many years? Your logic is flawed.
Who said anything about one time? For instance $1 million a year would fix the school system problem for 21 years. That is 21 years of smarter kids.

Also I find it silly to think fishing is going to save our economy. Erwin has two hatcheries and they aren't swimming in money or jobs. I also wonder if Kent has asked Unicoi County how it feels about putting a fish hatchery over here that will probably close one or both theirs.
Fishy business

Johnson City, TN

#11 May 23, 2012
Gee I wonder why a guy who owns a restaurant wants to use our money to try to make a tourist trap, OH WAIT, to make himself more money, Obama bailouts done Kent Williams style!
David Williams

Kingsport, TN

#12 May 23, 2012
$1 million would not fix the schools. It would make a dent for sure but it would be far from a fix. I may be wrong but I believe the Erwin hatchery may be shutting down. Besides, it is a federal hatchery so the feds get most of that money. The hatchery that is proposed for Elizabethton is based on one that is located in Texas. It draws 80,000 visitors a year and has generated almost $1 billion in tax revenue. Another point is that the $21 million is designated for the hatchery. If it is not used for that then we simply lose the money. That is sad, but unfortunately that is how politics works.
David Williams

Kingsport, TN

#13 May 23, 2012
Fishy business wrote:
Gee I wonder why a guy who owns a restaurant wants to use our money to try to make a tourist trap, OH WAIT, to make himself more money, Obama bailouts done Kent Williams style!
I can understand if you have a personal dislike of Representative Williams. That is your right and the saying you can't please everybody is definitely true. As far as him owning a restaurant, he no longer owns Dino's....I do.
Fishy business

Johnson City, TN

#14 May 23, 2012
LOL right, a sitting politician would totally send his boy to Topix to politik, if you're really Kent's boy then I'm Ronad Reagan.

Politics works how our politicians make it work, if all your politicians ever ask for is a fishery that's all you get. With Kent politics don't work for Carter County especially not for the kids. this isn't Texas or Pigeon Forge and tourism ain't going to save Carter county, we've got more people trying to get out not people coming in!
Fishy business

Johnson City, TN

#15 May 23, 2012
I bet you think that's really Ronnie Ramsey too LOL!
David Williams

Kingsport, TN

#16 May 23, 2012
I am who the name says I am. Nobody sent me here. I am here of my own accord. What I am stating is my opinion. There are several things that my dad and I disagree on, but the Hatchery is not one of them.

And yes Fishy, You are right about politics. But my dad is only one man and contrary to movies and pipe dreams, one man cannot change the system. I do know the man however and his dedication to all the people of Carter County is genuine and comes straight from the heart. He has gotten many grants for the schools and like someone said, He put off the funding for the hatchery in order to secure money for the TTC. The tech center is exactly the kind of thing that Carter County needs to be fully funded to keep our kids here to learn and better the community.
Fishy business

Johnson City, TN

#17 May 23, 2012
Yah, HE put off his pet project every Republican in Nashville came out against, that was their poster child for bad pork spending, cause they were totally gonna give it to him because they love him so much their chair called him Judas and other reps drove all the way from Memphis to campaign against him, LOL! Nah you know we don't get nothin' because of Kent and won't get nothing till he's gone!
BHO

Johnson City, TN

#18 May 23, 2012
Topix is a very important political site frequented by very important people such as myself. I support Kent Williams and eat at Dino's every time I am in Elizabethton. This is absolutely the real President Barack Hussein Obama and I approve fish, Topix and Kent Williams and David Williams.
Ramsey

Johnson City, TN

#19 May 23, 2012
David Williams wrote:
$1 million would not fix the schools. It would make a dent for sure but it would be far from a fix. I may be wrong but I believe the Erwin hatchery may be shutting down. Besides, it is a federal hatchery so the feds get most of that money.[/quote]

Erwin has two, one state and one federal. If the feds are shutting down hatcheries what does that tell you about their real value? Gov'mit math is bad math.

[quote]The hatchery that is proposed for Elizabethton is based on one that is located in Texas. It draws 80,000 visitors a year and has generated almost $1 billion in tax revenue. Another point is that the $21 million is designated for the hatchery. If it is not used for that then we simply lose the money. That is sad, but unfortunately that is how politics works.
Didn't Kent himself say the funding didn't get approved this year? Also for the Texas hatchery, where is it? I bet it's not in Bum Fuck Egypt like Carter County with no Interstate access and no other tourist traps. Where do all these idiots get the idea that Carter County's going to become the next Pigeon Forge? We never will and we don't want it.
Ramsey

Johnson City, TN

#20 May 23, 2012
Erwin has two fish hatcheries, one state and one federal. If the feds are shutting down hatcheries what does that tell you about their real value? Gov'mit math is bad math.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Piney Flats Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
brittney knight?? 4 hr dubchr7 6
Review: Peak Geomatics Land Surveyors 7 hr hey there 4
black jetta 8 hr FORGETITBOYS 6
Michael Brown is Dead, give it a rest 8 hr zzz 39
green lightening? 9 hr BlackCloud 3
Anyone work at or have worked at Coldstar Inter... Nov 28 dave 2
Mary Hughes school bullying (Sep '13) Nov '14 susie 2
Piney Flats Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Piney Flats People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Piney Flats News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Piney Flats

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:35 am PST

NBC Sports 6:35AM
Whitehurst: May not look like it, but we can win
NFL 9:56 AM
Cam Newton (back) probable for Panthers vs. Browns
NBC Sports 9:56 AM
Panthers list Cam Newton as probable for Sunday
NBC Sports10:31 AM
Coach: 'Very confident' Newton starts vs. Browns - NBC Sports
ESPN11:21 AM
Rivera 'confident' Newton will start Sunday