Since: May 08

Good Ole West Virginee!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2008

Ok, this is to see who can remember the Old Stores that were in Oceana years ago!! I can remember when the Oceana Department Store was called Beans Dept. Store, before it became the Oceana Dept. Store. I remember when Montgomery Wards was across from where Speedway is now in Oceana. Can anyone else remember any of the older stores that used to be in Oceana or Pineville??? Just thought this might be a different Topic, or one that we can remininse about..lol

“Hillbillies Are People Too”

Since: Jul 08

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2008

I remember LA Joe and Hecks. I reckon they ain't that old though. What about Murphy's in Mullens? The Freezer in Pineville? Remember Stanley's Steakhouse in Oceana? Lord I'm gettin' old.

“Respect me-I'll respect u”

Since: Jun 08

Flood zone in No Man's Land.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2008

I remember Hecks used to be where Magic Mart is now..;)

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2008

Fed Up_2008 wrote:
I remember Hecks used to be where Magic Mart is now..;)
It sure was. They had a good pet department. I used to get stuff for my dogs there.
Anybody remember Crystals in Oceana? What about the Jesse Drive Inn, that used to be a good place to eat many years ago. And I bet I've got one no one on here remembers..Shoe City in Oceana!
concerned

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2008

Anyone remember the Canteen in Pineville.Arby's in Oceana.Riteway and Buddy's in Pineville and Jesse.Liked the Canteen's food.Loved Arby's when they first opened.Riteway used to be where Deskins,which is now Save-A-Lot .Buddy's had something for everyone.

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2008

concerned wrote:
Anyone remember the Canteen in Pineville.Arby's in Oceana.Riteway and Buddy's in Pineville and Jesse.Liked the Canteen's food.Loved Arby's when they first opened.Riteway used to be where Deskins,which is now Save-A-Lot .Buddy's had something for everyone.
I sure remember Buddy's. And Deskins too. I always thought they had a better variety of stuff than Fas-Check or Sav A Lot does now. I remember the Canteen real well. Everybody loved to go there and eat once in a while. I remember when Arby's was in Pineville there across from John W. Eye is now. I heard they closed cause of sewer problems or something. I never did go in there and eat. Maybe that was a good thing.
Icarus

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2008

If anyone rememebers Union Cut-Rate drugstore in Oceana please post it. When I was a kid they had the best newsstand anywhere around. Lots of comic books, place was great. The owner was a very fine gentlman.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2008

TherealGetReal wrote:
Ok, this is to see who can remember the Old Stores that were in Oceana years ago!! I can remember when the Oceana Department Store was called Beans Dept. Store, before it became the Oceana Dept. Store. I remember when Montgomery Wards was across from where Speedway is now in Oceana. Can anyone else remember any of the older stores that used to be in Oceana or Pineville??? Just thought this might be a different Topic, or one that we can remininse about..lol
I remember Beans store when I was a very, very, young, lad holding my mother's hand to go buy shoes or something or another...I'm barely old enough to remember it though :)
Icarus

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2008

Also, Island Creek Company Store where McDonald's is now, I think.
concerned

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2008

Does anyone remember Island Creek Company Store at Wyoming?There used to be a Restraunt where Juliet Rundle's office is now,can't remember the name.Can't remember the name of the grocery where Faschek is now(before Young's).There used to be a restraunt/drive inn up on Jesse mountain ,where Dr.Lao's office used to be.Castle Rock restraunt where city hall is now.Video Flicks.I can remember alot of places,just can't remember the names.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2008

concerned wrote:
Buddy's was a great store.. where Rite Aide is now right?... Thomas grocery store, where the car wash is in Pineville.. NO maybe where the bank is now.. one or the other..Pappy Jakes service station where the family court and fire deparment are today in Pineville, plus the Independent Herald office in almost the same place.... Stevens clothing store on main street, the liquor store (where Video flicks used to be and the home health equipment thing is now, also Crew's store, Pine Theatre, Holloway drug where you could get real fountain cokes and milkshakes, the Rose Hotel, Piggy Wiggly,(where the Happy Trails is today)... The "dugout" pool room below Crew's store, basically where Ronda's pharmacy is today.. Talk about a trip down memory lane... Of course I don't personally remember any of these places, my mother used to tell me about them :)

Oh yea.. there used to be two theatres in Oceana.. One was the Midway and the other was the what?.. I think the Midway burned down but not sure...
concerned

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2008

There used to be a drugstore where Pat's Fashions is now,before it was Pineville Drug.The owners were very nice,it had a soda stand also.Wally was the pharmacist.
concerned

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2008

We did a lot of trading at Pine Chevrolet.I remember R.R. was a very nice salesman,he was one of the most honest car salesman,I ever had the honor of knowing.Don't make them like that nowdays.

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2008

concerned wrote:
Does anyone remember Island Creek Company Store at Wyoming?There used to be a Restraunt where Juliet Rundle's office is now,can't remember the name.Can't remember the name of the grocery where Faschek is now(before Young's).There used to be a restraunt/drive inn up on Jesse mountain ,where Dr.Lao's office used to be.Castle Rock restraunt where city hall is now.Video Flicks.I can remember alot of places,just can't remember the names.
IGA used to be there where Fas Check is. Pic-Pac was in Jesse. Remember when the Dollar Store was there on main street? And Rite-Aid was beside of it. I remember the restaurant where Dr. Lao's used to be but I can't remember the name. I remember when the skating rink used to show movies and also when the library used to be up where the health dept is now.
concerned

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2008

Shootist wrote:
<quoted text>Buddy's was a great store.. where Rite Aide is now right?... Thomas grocery store, where the car wash is in Pineville.. NO maybe where the bank is now.. one or the other..Pappy Jakes service station where the family court and fire deparment are today in Pineville, plus the Independent Herald office in almost the same place.... Stevens clothing store on main street, the liquor store (where Video flicks used to be and the home health equipment thing is now, also Crew's store, Pine Theatre, Holloway drug where you could get real fountain cokes and milkshakes, the Rose Hotel, Piggy Wiggly,(where the Happy Trails is today)... The "dugout" pool room below Crew's store, basically where Ronda's pharmacy is today.. Talk about a trip down memory lane... Of course I don't personally remember any of these places, my mother used to tell me about them :)
Oh yea.. there used to be two theatres in Oceana.. One was the Midway and the other was the what?.. I think the Midway burned down but not sure...
Lol.I was going to say you MUST be old..haha..We have been here for almost 40 years.Thomas grocery,you are right.Holloway drug'that is what I was trying to remember.Spent many weekend going to Pineville Drive In theater.I remember the liquor store,but at one time it was next to the post office which used to be a 5&dime or something like that first.(kidding about the old joke)
concerned

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2008

Don't let us forget Blankenship's store ,which is parking lot for B.O.E. building now.The first time I ever came to Pineville ,we ate at Pinnacle Drive INN and stopped at Blankenship's.Places to live were hard to find.I remember there weren't many homes on Welch-Pineville Road or Bearhole.

FDG

“Have facts, will travel!”

Since: Feb 08

The Big Town!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2008

Judged:

Anyone remember Hopkins market?
concerned

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2008

FDG wrote:
Yes ,I do.
DAVID

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2008

FDG wrote:
You mean Hopkins super market don't you.
concerned

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2008

Anyone remember Guys and Gals Hair Salon?Whitey Baldwin's car lot?When Southern Community Branch college was where First Century Bank is now?The Sunoco gas station?Virgil Shucks Auto paint shop was?Pineville dry cleaners and laudromat where Davis auto is now?Gulf Gas Station where the fire dept.is now?Napa was where dollar store is now?There used to be a fabric shop next to the old mobile home lot,can't remember their names but I used to buy a lot of sewing stuff from the fabric shop,I made a lot of our clothes when I was younger.Pineville land Co.was across from the post office.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Pineville Forum right now

Search the Pineville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 5 min Les 54,236
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Mar '10) 1 hr mudpuppy 7,713
cleveland cliff 5 hr coalminerswife 2
wheres a good place to catch some cat/carp 9 hr Hello 4
pineville little general Tue Hello 7
House appraisal Jul 27 Wv girl 6
Good Burgars Jul 26 lmbo 16
•••
•••
•••
•••

Pineville Jobs

•••