Mississippi judge jails attorney for not reciting Pledge of Allegiance

A Mississippi judge jailed a lawyer for several hours for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, ordering the attorney to "purge himself" of contempt by standing and repeating the oath like the rest of the courtroom. Full Story
anon

Tupelo, MS

#1797 Sep 10, 2012
Fundamental to the concept of secular humanism is the strongly held viewpoint that ideology—be it religious or political—must be thoroughly examined by each individual and not simply accepted or rejected on faith. Along with this, an essential part of secular humanism is a continually adapting search for truth, primarily through science and philosophy. Many Humanists derive their moral codes from a philosophy of utilitarianism, ethical naturalism or evolutionary ethics, and some advocate a science of morality.

This is what the government schools teach contrary to the idea that philosophy is individualistic and not based on science or other chosen philosophies.
anon

Tupelo, MS

#1798 Sep 10, 2012
LandSakes wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this flag a god or something?!
Break it down:
I
Pledge
Alllengence
TO the FLAG
????!!!!!
The spirit of the flag is freedom even the freedom to wipe the floor with the flag.

“Simple educated country woman”

Since: Dec 11

America

#1799 Sep 10, 2012
LandSakes wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this flag a god or something?!
Break it down:
I
Pledge
Alllengence
TO the FLAG
????!!!!!
I must be getting old and cranky as it is getting tiring to repeat things to those individuals who lack the capacity to use human thought and do a minimum of research before posting something obnoxious.

It makes one wonder where these individual find the capacity to be able to plug in a complex piece of equipment and then stumble into an online forum.

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html

"The Flag Protection Act of 1989 was struck down by the Supreme Court decision, United States vs. Eichman, decided on June 11, 1990.

While the Code empowers the President of the United States to alter, modify, repeal or prescribe additional rules regarding the Flag, no federal agency has the authority to issue 'official' rulings legally binding on civilians or civilian groups..."
Adolpho Busillo

Baldwin, NY

#1802 Sep 15, 2012
eric wrote:
<quoted text>
I will find it and read it.
I still maintain that secular humanism and secular governance is not the same thing. Secular humanism refers to people who are "good without a god" secular government means religious, supernatural thought does not enter into the making of laws. It means that no religion shall be placed above another belief system in the making of those laws. Humanism is not a religion, it is a philosophy that the humans right here are far more important than whatever we believe is out there in the ether. Charity most certainly should be a personal choice and its one that i hope many people make daily. As much as it may invalidate my opinion in some circles i am speaking as someone who does have a need for government assistance. I am speaking as someone who is working very hard to NOT need government assistance. I am speaking as someone who lives and breathes these things all day every day. You cant honestly make the argument that the government is tyrannical because it dictates how a state should spend the funds it is given by a federal government (which is its revenue) in the same breath as charity being a government mandate (by which i'm guessing you mean for people like me). You can't dictate how your taxes are spent either. There are lots of things i don't like my taxes going to, but i only complain about the ones that really matter in the long run. Taxes going to food stamps for families, higher education for the less fortunate, schools for our children, housing for low income and elderly people, i do not have an issue with that. Tax money going to churches, wars, tax subsidies on oil producers that are currently putting us over a barrel while making record profits, etc. Those are the things i have a huge problem with. The world was only just beginning to change when President Johnson instituted the Great Society legislation. His motives may have been dubious and mostly political, but good things came out of it. in the 50+ years since the world has changed more and more rapidly, and for the first time in our history, America is the one left behind. People who use tyranny as quickly and easily as most do today wouldn't know what to do with themselves if real tyranny ever came along. The government thinks its a good idea to make sure all its citizens have the basic human necessities of life, and the opportunity to make something of themselves so they can give back as well, that is not in any way tyranny. Thats just the right thing to do.
Charlie Manson can write better than this try paragraphs freak.
SYS

Laughlin, NV

#1805 Sep 24, 2012
System line check

“John 3:16”

Since: Sep 09

George County, MS. USA

#1806 Sep 24, 2012
This issue is dead and even the defense attorney wants it to go away. Let it go. Take your issues up on Facebook.
tree hugger

Salt Lake City, UT

#1807 Sep 25, 2012
The_SCOOP wrote:
This issue is dead and even the defense attorney wants it to go away. Let it go. Take your issues up on Facebook.
AMEN
tubby

Jackson, MS

#1808 Sep 26, 2012
The Petition For The City Of Iuka And The Petition For The Whole Tishomingo County Is In The Tishomingo County News Paper This Week Thursday September 27. 2012 The Petition For The City Of Iuka And The Petition For The Whole Tishomingo County Is On Page 11 In The Tishomingo County News Paper IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SIGN IT
anon

Tupelo, MS

#1809 Sep 27, 2012
Tubby you are in the wrong town.
Sheik Yerbouti

Warrington, PA

#1810 Sep 27, 2012
The judge should be removed from the bench and disbarred! The day someone forced me to worship a piece of cloth will be the day hell freezes over!
anon

Tupelo, MS

#1811 Sep 27, 2012
"The judge should be removed from the bench and disbarred!"
==========
He was reelected and no other person on the ballot. Welcome to corrupt Tupelo politics. The only way yo change MS system is stop Federal welfare to the state.
Memphis law

Olive Branch, MS

#1812 Sep 28, 2012
Not necessarily related to this event, but I'm looking for information on an Ashland home (Colonial style) called Shenendoah. Reply to briandominski@alphareporting.c om Thanks,
Good Attorney wrote:
Good attorney! I do not recite the repledge either, nor do I salute the flag. Why bother, given that the country is overrun by illegal immigrants, that public employee unions bribe our politicians, that activist judges overturn the vote of the people, and that racial and gender quotas are used instead of merit?
The only thing this country MIGHT do for me is pay back what I put into Social Security. Then again, maybe it won't.
eric

Hattiesburg, MS

#1816 Oct 9, 2012
Adolpho Busillo wrote:
<quoted text>
Charlie Manson can write better than this try paragraphs freak.
And what of charlie manson's writings would you recommend? Moron.
Adolpho B

Baldwin, NY

#1818 Oct 18, 2012
All the CP's and tree hugging girlymen should go on a big boat back to where they comed from.
watchya know

United States

#1819 Oct 18, 2012
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
The judge should be removed from the bench and disbarred! The day someone forced me to worship a piece of cloth will be the day hell freezes over!
No one worships a piece of cloth. You are on another planet. The pledge is to give honor to the flag, honor to the ones who died to defend it, honor to the ones who served to protect our rights. And I will now express my freedom of speech to tell you to go back to your own continent, worship a cow or piece of rag or whatever you do there. We worship God and only God, not an image, not a flag.

I won't judge you if you don't pledge, but don't judge me if I choose to pay a few seconds of respect. I will do it at every opportunity and I will not be ashamed and no one can ever make me stop while I still draw breath.
tree hugger

Salt Lake City, UT

#1820 Oct 18, 2012
Adolpho B wrote:
All the CP's and tree hugging girlymen should go on a big boat back to where they comed from.
Where they 'comed' from. Duh!
nuff said

Hattiesburg, MS

#1822 Nov 5, 2012
Guess its alright for the lawyer not to salute the flag. Our president doesn't!!!! Have you seen the pictures with everyone else having hands over hearts when the pledge was being made? Not O'Bama, he holds his hands over his crotch, guess that is why it is being referred to as a "crotch salute". Disgusting piece of work!!!
nuff said

Hattiesburg, MS

#1823 Nov 5, 2012
eric wrote:
<quoted text>
And of course government money comes with strings attached, just look at how responsible the congress people are with it! YOu can thank them for the strings and if you think it would be any different at state level, that would be delusional. A one million dollar grant with no stipulations from the federal government for, say schools for instance, would hit the state legislature and turn into a 50,000.00 dollar grant to be split amongst all schools in the state after the legislature got done chopping it up for their own interests.
Now the tyranny of religion in reference to the alcohol consumption prohibition is remnant of the original prohibition laws that mississippi never voted of the books because of all the god fearing religious nuts who think its a sin to have a drink. Every time a petition starts for removing these laws from the books, as i've seen where i live, the person loses business, status, and is scorned by the community for trying to get these nonsense laws erased off the books and let the economy of their areas be boosted rather than neighboring counties or states receiving the benefits. This is also another example of religious hypocrisy, because they will publicly denounce removing these laws and then take a ride to the nearest wet county for their own fix. YOu cant blame the federal government for Mississippi consistently voting against its best interests because they seem to think its a pious thing to do.
Don't think for one minute that the people of George County don't drink! Just take a ride across the county line and check out the George County Tags on cars at the liquor stores. Morality cannot be legislated! Wake up people, you are just cheating yourself out of the taxes. If the school system needs money as badly as you say, think what the taxes would do to help that. Somewhere it is stated "NOTHING TO EXCESS". Couldn't that be applied to lots of things, such as food, etc. George County needs to get out of the stone age and take advantage of the possibilities here rather than trying to push personal religious beliefs.
anon

Tupelo, MS

#1824 Nov 5, 2012
"George County needs to get out of the stone age and take advantage of the possibilities here rather than trying to push personal religious beliefs. "
==========
The individuals of George county have the right to live and worship as they please they do not have the right to force their neighbor to do the same as they would like.

Education is a personal responsibility. The public school system is a scam to make wage slaves and dumb down the children so they can not think for themselves and escape the tyranny of George county.
...Born Again Christian

United States

#1825 Nov 5, 2012
Please PRAY & go VOTE tomorrow

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Picayune Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police road blocks and sex in the park (May '09) 4 hr cccp 10
Sleeps with married women (Sep '13) 4 hr thanks4nothing 8
Concerned Citizen 5 hr thanks4nothing 5
Guy et al v. Picayune School District??? 23 hr Justme 5
Picayune School Counselor - Inappropriate Relat... Mon Still Smelling a Rat 26
Former Mississippi Senator Ezell Lee of Picayun... (May '12) Mon justme 3
Housing for single mother with very low income Sep 21 Single Mom 1

Picayune Jobs

Picayune People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE