Residents vocal over loss of McCowans

Full story: Daily Breeze
San Pedro is a place where history doesn't just come alive; it is alive. Especially when some of that history is killed. Full Story
Linda Uribe

Lucerne Valley, CA

#1 Feb 4, 2008
We all said goodbye to McCowans market..all of us were sad..some of us worked there..knew the McCowans..and loved shopping there..I live in the mountains now..Fawnskin..310 people...they complain sometimes that nothing ever changes..I tell them..some storys about San Pedro..and the changes..they stop complaining...Linda..aka Linda Quinlivan
the Hawk

Acton, CA

#2 Feb 4, 2008
Dear Linda,

People have to know what they want, and what they like. And then they have to protect it. There is no one out there doing it for them. It may seem that way, but there is no one looking out for our interests. A pity, to lose one precious part of our roots after another.

In other words, the "community" is sleeping.
Linda Uribe wrote:
We all said goodbye to McCowans market..all of us were sad..some of us worked there..knew the McCowans..and loved shopping there..I live in the mountains now..Fawnskin..310 people...they complain sometimes that nothing ever changes..I tell them..some storys about San Pedro..and the changes..they stop complaining...Linda..aka Linda Quinlivan
McCowan neighbor

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#3 Feb 4, 2008
the Hawk wrote:
Dear Linda,
People have to know what they want, and what they like. And then they have to protect it. There is no one out there doing it for them. It may seem that way, but there is no one looking out for our interests. A pity, to lose one precious part of our roots after another.
In other words, the "community" is sleeping.
<quoted text>
I just have to ask you Hawk.What should have been done? If John McCowan sold it because he was losing money,what should he have done? You keep bemoaning the loss of our roots,our history our town. What do you suggest "the community" do to stem the tide of progress and expansion.Population is growing,words out about San Pedro,over one half a BILLION dollars has been appropriated for redeveloping the waterfront.Who are we redeveloping it for and where are the people that project draws going to live?
I'd really like to know what you think should be done?
the Hawk

Acton, CA

#4 Feb 4, 2008
Dear Friend and Neighbor,

"Who are we redeveloping it for and where are the people that project draws going to live? I'd really like to know..." you said.

If that would be so easy.

Expansion, redevelopment is not always really progress. A wild growth they also call cancer.

So, "over one half a BILLION dollars has been appropriated for redeveloping the waterfront. Who are we redeveloping it for..."?

As you see, so may unanswered questions, but things have already been set in motion.

"If John McCowan sold it because he was losing money, what should he have done?" If he was losing money? Wasn't he getting tired too?

If it was part of the community, the one we cherished, and needed to be protected. But when, and where do people get together, to discuss these things in time? How many efforts did we make, to "communicate"?

And when we talk about a half-a-billion, WHOSE money is it? And "redevelopment" is in itself an ugly word. Like censorship. The one we despise, we say. But we say many things. But do we mean them? Yes, who is supposed to be the beneficiary of all that "redevelopment"? But then again, do our people care?

We won't solve the problem, nor answer all these questions in five minutes, but to talk about it, and give it some thought, is a good start already.
McCowan neighbor wrote:
<quoted text>
I just have to ask you Hawk.What should have been done? If John McCowan sold it because he was losing money,what should he have done? You keep bemoaning the loss of our roots,our history our town. What do you suggest "the community" do to stem the tide of progress and expansion.Population is growing,words out about San Pedro,over one half a BILLION dollars has been appropriated for redeveloping the waterfront.Who are we redeveloping it for and where are the people that project draws going to live?
I'd really like to know what you think should be done?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pedro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
hidden money in Ironton 12 min wondering 22
Teachers at Rh 49 min Party 65
who all sales pills in ironton? 54 min coal grove prom q... 11
South 11th street 4 hr Whackman 33
alcoholic love child 4 hr jakey 6
Dara Rowe 4 hr betterplace 13
Ideas how to get revenge on my landlord (Apr '13) 5 hr Myke113 110
Pedro Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Pedro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Pedro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pedro

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:03 pm PST

ESPN 1:03PM
Browns' Mingo fined $16,537 for hit on Dalton
ESPN 1:03 PM
Browns' Mingo fined $16,537 for hit on Dalton
NFL 1:47 PM
'Sound FX' spies Manziel's meeting with Marvin Lewis
NFL 1:47 PM
'Sound FX' spies Manziel's meeting with Marvin Lewis
Yahoo! Sports 2:09 PM
RT Eric Winston quickly settling in with Bengals