Injured horse found abandoned, dead on horse trail

Full story: Pasadena Star-News

A badly injured horse was found dead on a county horse trail Wednesday evening, and police believe the animal was left by its owner to die.
Comments
1 - 20 of 21 Comments Last updated Apr 3, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
No Filters

Lake Elsinore, CA

#1 Apr 2, 2009
how sick and twisted can people be. Horses are like dogs. True pets, loyal companions.
Tammy Monroe

Montclair, CA

#2 Apr 2, 2009
The owner was pissed that the horse did not qualify for this weekends Santa Anita Derby. What a LONG shot.
sallysays

Costa Mesa, CA

#3 Apr 2, 2009
Well at least the cops came. I have two horses at Whittier Equestrian Center and every once in awhile a group of about 75 to 100 people (mostly spectators) go out on the trail and race horses so hard their noses were bleeding, they bet on horses and drink beer. They throw their trash on the ground. They block the trails and ride aggressively towards you if you dare ride where they are racing. I did, they rode towards me and my horse threw me off. Once we got back to the stables we called the Whitter P.D., the County Police, Temple City Police, and El Monte. Every Police Dept. kept saying not our job. Finally, one call to Pico Rivera Sheriff's got at least 4 cars and a helicopter. All the bad guys left. They came back the next couple of weekends but so did Pico Rivera Sheriff's when we called. Finally, the bad quit showing up! Thank you Pico Rivera Sheriffs!
the truth is within me

Las Vegas, NV

#4 Apr 2, 2009
rip
Get Over It

Victorville, CA

#5 Apr 2, 2009
sallysays wrote:
Well at least the cops came. I have two horses at Whittier Equestrian Center and every once in awhile a group of about 75 to 100 people (mostly spectators) go out on the trail and race horses so hard their noses were bleeding, they bet on horses and drink beer. They throw their trash on the ground. They block the trails and ride aggressively towards you if you dare ride where they are racing. I did, they rode towards me and my horse threw me off. Once we got back to the stables we called the Whitter P.D., the County Police, Temple City Police, and El Monte. Every Police Dept. kept saying not our job. Finally, one call to Pico Rivera Sheriff's got at least 4 cars and a helicopter. All the bad guys left. They came back the next couple of weekends but so did Pico Rivera Sheriff's when we called. Finally, the bad quit showing up! Thank you Pico Rivera Sheriffs!
Disgusting that people who aren't fit to have horses do, and then abuse them, isn't it? And then to leave the horse to die on the trail is pathetic....yet sadly so typical of a people that see animals as nothing except a tool to amuse themselves....
Joe the Plumber

Walnut, CA

#6 Apr 2, 2009
That has to be the saddest story about the economy that I have yet to read.
Many Questions

Upland, CA

#7 Apr 2, 2009
I am afraid my kids will do this when I get really old.
joe

Yucaipa, CA

#8 Apr 2, 2009
call elmers glue
sallysays

Costa Mesa, CA

#10 Apr 2, 2009
joe wrote:
call elmers glue
Oh you're so funny! Who would've thought of that. What a dumb a**!
Get Over It

Victorville, CA

#11 Apr 2, 2009
Joe the Plumber wrote:
That has to be the saddest story about the economy that I have yet to read.
I can't tell if you're being sincere or sarcastic, but people are abandoning horses (and other animals) in record numbers. A friend who resides in AZ says owners who can no longer afford to feed their horses are turning them loose (many are pregnant mares who then foal after being let go) into the canyons, dry river beds and ravines. I guess they feel rather than send their pets to auction and almost certain slaughter, perhaps by turning them out someone will eventually find, and care for, them. My horse is a blessing; I sacrifice in other ways to make sure she does not meet a sad end like many other horses have (and will)during these tough times.
JackSchitt

Azusa, CA

#12 Apr 2, 2009
Get Over It wrote:
<quoted text> I can't tell if you're being sincere or sarcastic, but people are abandoning horses (and other animals) in record numbers. A friend who resides in AZ says owners who can no longer afford to feed their horses are turning them loose (many are pregnant mares who then foal after being let go) into the canyons, dry river beds and ravines. I guess they feel rather than send their pets to auction and almost certain slaughter, perhaps by turning them out someone will eventually find, and care for, them. My horse is a blessing; I sacrifice in other ways to make sure she does not meet a sad end like many other horses have (and will)during these tough times.
I've heard that some people who have lost their homes leave their animals behind-truly despicable! There are sanctuaries or shelters available, I will never understand why people don't take advantage of them. To leave an animal/pet behind or abandoned to fend for themselves is unforgivable.
JackSchitt

Azusa, CA

#13 Apr 2, 2009
Many Questions wrote:
I guess it depends on whether you have been a nag or not!
Get Over It

Victorville, CA

#14 Apr 2, 2009
JackSchitt wrote:
<quoted text>
I've heard that some people who have lost their homes leave their animals behind-truly despicable! There are sanctuaries or shelters available, I will never understand why people don't take advantage of them. To leave an animal/pet behind or abandoned to fend for themselves is unforgivable.
The horse rescues are overloaded--they are begging for donations. Sadly, most of the horses have been neglected to the point of starvation and have to be put down. Others they try to re-hab and re-home. A group of a dozen or more horses were abandoned near a trucking facility in Castiac, I believe, about 4-5 months ago, and the drivers were trying to feed & water them as best as they knew how. God bless those guys! Animal Control was also making trips out to feed and care for them. Hopefully, good homes have been found for them. Some great rescue websites are:www.passionhorse.com (located in Texas, but Debra Naismith is wonderful); www.uawr.com (Under the Angels Wings Rescue. Courtney, the Pres., is wonderful, too!) In spite of the economy, there are still many good people with big hearts out there.
zzyzx

La Verne, CA

#15 Apr 2, 2009
Horse found dead on trail may have escaped, gotten lost
Posted: 04/02/2009 08:45:45 AM PDT

EL MONTE -- Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control personnel said a horse found dead with a broken leg on a horse trail was not abandoned, but had probably escaped from a nearby stable.

Authorities initially believed the horse had been abandoned and left to die, but Baldwin Park shelter officials said they were able to contact the equine's owner, who called in a veterinarian. The horse had to be euthanized, officials said.

The incident occurred near the 4000 block of Hartnett Avenue at about 6:45 p.m Wednesday.

QUESTION:
Why would you need to euthanize a dead horse? Is that like beating a dead horse?
Theresa

Covina, CA

#16 Apr 2, 2009
Many Questions wrote:
I know my kids will!
JackSchitt

Azusa, CA

#17 Apr 2, 2009
Get Over It wrote:
<quoted text>
The horse rescues are overloaded--they are begging for donations. Sadly, most of the horses have been neglected to the point of starvation and have to be put down. Others they try to re-hab and re-home. A group of a dozen or more horses were abandoned near a trucking facility in Castiac, I believe, about 4-5 months ago, and the drivers were trying to feed & water them as best as they knew how. God bless those guys! Animal Control was also making trips out to feed and care for them. Hopefully, good homes have been found for them. Some great rescue websites are:www.passionhorse.com (located in Texas, but Debra Naismith is wonderful); www.uawr.com (Under the Angels Wings Rescue. Courtney, the Pres., is wonderful, too!) In spite of the economy, there are still many good people with big hearts out there.
It is heartbreaking...I'm going to check out the websites that you have provided and see what I can do to donate-thanks for the information.
minutemanII

Cape May, NJ

#18 Apr 3, 2009
The horse was found dead with a broken leg...and the owner had a vet euthanize it...so, they just left it on the trail?
gun toting gramma

Baldwin Park, CA

#19 Apr 3, 2009
It sounds like the horse broke a leg, the owner called the vet out, but the owner did NOT call an animal carcass removal truck out, an additional $ 150.00 cost. OR....the animal broke a leg and the owner put it down himself.....because my vet made the arrangements for the carcass removal for me, perhaps due to city laws...?
Linn the twit

AOL

#20 Apr 3, 2009
Obviosly the guy could not afford a horse.
octamom go to jail

El Monte, CA

#21 Apr 3, 2009
zzyzx wrote:
Horse found dead on trail may have escaped, gotten lost
Posted: 04/02/2009 08:45:45 AM PDT
EL MONTE -- Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control personnel said a horse found dead with a broken leg on a horse trail was not abandoned, but had probably escaped from a nearby stable.
Authorities initially believed the horse had been abandoned and left to die, but Baldwin Park shelter officials said they were able to contact the equine's owner, who called in a veterinarian. The horse had to be euthanized, officials said.
The incident occurred near the 4000 block of Hartnett Avenue at about 6:45 p.m Wednesday.
QUESTION:
Why would you need to euthanize a dead horse? Is that like beating a dead horse?
yhat is true why they most likely didn,t want to pay for the medical needs for the horse

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pasadena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 42 min Go aways 5,004
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 3 hr lazy posts 200,590
Suspected gang member stands trial in East Vali... (Sep '10) 5 hr karma 32
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 6 hr lazy posts 15,963
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 hr Bruin Nation 27,086
POP prostitution sting nets six arrests in Old ... (Jun '10) Thu Steve Parr 125
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Thu Tank ever 7,926
•••

Pasadena News Video

•••
•••

Pasadena Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Pasadena People Search