Paragould, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2011

Judged:

I thought if a mother delivers a baby that test positive for meth. The Dr. had to call DHS & they would TAKE BABY & MOTHER WOULD be arrested. Dr Becton let this mother take baby home.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2011

Wouldn't that be the hospital letting her take the baby home? They do the lab work on the baby and Dr. Becton wouldn't be the baby's doctor.

“once was blind”

Level 1

Since: Jul 10

now I see

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2011

Judged:

I don't know about here. But in larger cities.... The hospitals are obligated to call DHS, and many have contracts with Behavioral Health hospitals. An order is automatically generated to have an assessor come out and evaluate the mother, so she can get help.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2011

Judged:

The hospital staff should contact DCFS (Division of Children and Family Services) as hospital staff are mandated reporters. A child born with a positive drug screen should be reported and accepted under Garret's Law
baby

Paragould, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

That is true .When I called DHS here in Paragould the 1st lady I talked to didnt know what Garrett's Law was.I just dont understand the system at all. So sad for the baby.I feel like the hos. & the Dr. are respondable. because the Dr. has to release the baby & mother. Also he would have to be informed of the blood work & look at it before the release. i just need to know if Arkansas inforces the Garrrett Law. The last I heard the mom was still getting high & was seen carrying the baby in a Wal Mart bag, oh by the way she breast feeds this baby!

Oxford, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2011

Judged:

Have you hot lined it? 1-800-482-5964. It should be accepted and get an investigator out to the house. Preferably you know an address or can give directions to the alleged offender's house. You do not have to give your name if you don't feel comfortable doing so.
guest12

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2011

Judged:

Dr. Becton would only release the mom not the baby. The Dr that the mom picks for the baby releases the baby. I used Dr. Hasik and he released me and Dr. Kemp had to be the one to release my daughter.

Paragould, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2011

Correct. Dr hasik released me but I had to wait til the pediatrician made rounds the next day to release my child. I don't think dr becton has anything to do with the baby except getting it out of u!
guest12 wrote:
Dr. Becton would only release the mom not the baby. The Dr that the mom picks for the baby releases the baby. I used Dr. Hasik and he released me and Dr. Kemp had to be the one to release my daughter.
guest12

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2011

Guest wrote:
Correct. Dr hasik released me but I had to wait til the pediatrician made rounds the next day to release my child. I don't think dr becton has anything to do with the baby except getting it out of u!<quoted text>
That is correct.

Paragould, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2011

Judged:

who is this lady i no a few like that
Buckwheat

Paragould, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2011

Judged:

Yes the Garret law was made possible because a grandmother here in Paragould helped get it passed because her grand baby was born addicted,and yes the hospital is to contact DHS when any drugs are found in a new born
AMMC employee

Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2011

A positive drug screen in newborns is reported to the Department of Human Services by the hospital. After that, it is up to the state to investigate and remove the child from the mother's custody. Sometimes the systems works. Most of the time it does not.
baby

Paragould, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2011

Well guess what. The hospital let this baby go home with its mom & she is breast feeding this beautiful baby. This is the most beautiful baby I ever saw. I contacted DHS & they did nothing for weeks. Said they couldnt find her. But I had no idea where to look for this mother. So I went to Franklin apt ask some of the thugs over there & they knew her told me where she was at. Myself & 3 other parents went to this apt. Their she was This baby was sitting in a nasty carriage in the floor with dogs & filth. I called DHS 3 hrs later they still couldnt find the house. In the middle of town & I gave address.The mom is on the run. Last I heard mom had baby in Wal Mart Bag sleeping under bridge or whoever would let her stay with them. Mom still doing meth. The system does not work! If something happens to this baby, Heads will row.
you dont know

Beech Grove, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2011

There are many rules, regs, and laws DHS must deal with when working a garrett's law case. If you don't know what those are, don't bad mouth the system. Most folks have no idea but want to bad mouth the system. Get educated and then you can complain.
baby

Paragould, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2011

Excuse me I worked on a State level for years. I also know the system does not always work. But most of the time its because of being LAZY & not doing ur job. This is one of the reason there is such a turnover with case workers other than the pay. But it is the Doctor, Hospital & the nurses job to make sure DHS is notified! It is Mandated Someone was LAZY & let this baby slip thru the system! Shame on U!OH,.. yes I will complain & complain, this is a tiny baby who cant tell us they hurt, they crave and care for themselves! By the way , you dont know,I do know this is some of ur kin! What r u doing for this baby? Nothing but sitting on here doing NOTHING, How dare u!
queen

Camden, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2011

someone who knows it all wrote:
I thought if a mother delivers a baby that test positive for meth. The Dr. had to call DHS & they would TAKE BABY & MOTHER WOULD be arrested. Dr Becton let this mother take baby home.
There is a law in Ar called "Garrett's Law." states any child born and test positive for illegal
drugs will be taken from the mother and placed in Foster Care.
Google garrett's law

Paragould, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2011

So u just wandered into this thread from june to state something that's already been said? We know what garretts law is. Previous posts already explain it.
really

Paragould, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2011

If you know the mother call DHS yourself!
informative

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2011

Judged:

AMMC employee wrote:
A positive drug screen in newborns is reported to the Department of Human Services by the hospital. After that, it is up to the state to investigate and remove the child from the mother's custody. Sometimes the systems works. Most of the time it does not.
not always its not.without going into detail i knew a person who gave birth,baby tested positive,almost died,was transferred out and all paragould hospital did was say its so sad it happens.the birth mother had tried to perform a self abortion hospital knew that but did not care even though she tested positive for meth the nurses encouraged her to breast feed.
alumni

Paragould, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2011

Judged:

informative wrote:
<quoted text>not always its not.without going into detail i knew a person who gave birth,baby tested positive,almost died,was transferred out and all paragould hospital did was say its so sad it happens.the birth mother had tried to perform a self abortion hospital knew that but did not care even though she tested positive for meth the nurses encouraged her to breast feed.
/This is a TERRIBLE story. Please call the police, DHS/Child abuse hotline and keep calling until something is done. If I knew this person- I would be shouting to every person I could think of until the baby was removed and properly cared for.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of33
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

41 Users are viewing the Paragould Forum right now

Search the Paragould Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
virgil 26 min for real 4
Change one letter in the word ! (Nov '09) 1 hr Honest Babe 9,188
Change "1" letter =ONLY= (Feb '13) 1 hr Honest Babe 980
Keep A Word - Drop A Word (Dec '09) 1 hr Honest Babe 15,088
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 1 hr Honest Babe 3,124
Diddy...drug dealer 1 hr ewwww 23
Redstone Grill in Paragould! 1 hr just me 76
The movie "God's Not Dead" 2 hr guest 149
•••