New Lenox woman killed in crash on 147th Street

Jan 1, 2010 Full story: Suburban Chicago News 361

A New Lenox woman was killed early this morning in a one-vehicle crash on 147th Street in a Cook County forest preserve area near Oak Forest.

Full Story
First Prev
of 19
Next Last
NEW LENOX OFFICE MANAGER

Palos Hills, IL

#1 Jan 1, 2010
I heard the driver is the owner of Charlie Horse?
Sad

Des Plaines, IL

#2 Jan 1, 2010
I think the driver was a young man. Maybe the son of the owner?
Other news sources

Wheaton, IL

#3 Jan 1, 2010
Have identified the driver as being Nick Sord, son of the owner(s) of Charlie Horse and 94West. And that he blew 4x the legal limit post-accident, has been charged with DUI.

Tragic. Bad intersection compounded by bad decisions on the part of the driver, passenger and anyone who saw the condition the driver was in and let him drive/let her get in the car with him in that condition. Plus, no seatbelts on either party.

What a horrific way to ring in a New Year for the families and friends of both young people.
Candace Anderson

Frankfort, IL

#4 Jan 2, 2010
Only the good die young people, no story here.
<3 RIP JESSICA CHRISTINA MEJIA
mr knowitall

Frankfort, IL

#5 Jan 2, 2010
Tragic, so much heartbreak.Young adults make bad decisions. 20 somethings are not indestructable.

As the father of 3 it is sad for me to say I hope my children see the reality of life. They are not indestrutable.They can learn from Jess' terrible mistake.

Our prayers are with her family.
Tragedy But

Naperville, IL

#6 Jan 2, 2010
mr knowitall wrote:
Tragic, so much heartbreak.Young adults make bad decisions. 20 somethings are not indestructable.
As the father of 3 it is sad for me to say I hope my children see the reality of life. They are not indestrutable.They can learn from Jess' terrible mistake.
Our prayers are with her family.
Totally with you, "MKIA". A tragedy.

I, too, have raised three children and dread goofy mistakes that can be made. I say my prayers every night that my guys will attain wisdom before something like this happens again.

On the other hand, I DON'T want this young man to be on the road for a long, long time. The rate of recidivism with regard to DUIs is not encouraging.

If and when he gets behind the wheel while liquored up, it could be us or our loved ones that are T-boned by his vehicle.
mr knowitall

Frankfort, IL

#7 Jan 2, 2010
I agree this man needs to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
april russell

Evergreen Park, IL

#8 Jan 2, 2010
rip jessica! this is so sad to me cause they r both good people, just really bad decision on both of them.....nick i hope u get thru this keep your head up i know u love jess more then anything! so sorry about what happened....n my heart goes out to jessica's family....
Cgialamas

Midlothian, IL

#9 Jan 2, 2010
A terrible tragedy for both families. When an accident like this happens it destroys the lives of two families. My prayers go out to Jessica's and to Nick's family. Everyday, I repeat to my two boys DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE AND DO NOT GET IN A CAR WITH SOMEONE WHO HAS! I am hoping that they listen. Everyone should carry an extra $50 on them at all times...taxicab money to get to wherever you need to go. All it takes is one bad choice, so let's make good choices at all times. God bless, Jessica.
Cgialamas

Midlothian, IL

#10 Jan 2, 2010
And just a side note...I still cannot believe that they put a traffic light at 147th and Oak Park...now people are cruising through that intersection and not realizing that there is such a sharp curve. Ridiculous decision, and not only that the pole that holds the light on the west corner is just too large in diameter and made completely of steel. Furthermore, there are no caution signs...nothing. DEAD MAN CURVE WAS BAD BEFORE NOW IT IS OBSCENE! Drivers that are completely sober could possibly find themselves in the same situation.
Seat Belts Save Lives

United States

#11 Jan 2, 2010
I'm sure this was not the first time travelled down this road by Nick. And it's not the traffic signal's fault, or the signage. It was Nick's decision to drive while drunk. That's what caused the accident, human error. Bottom line. Shame on him. Terrible way to learn a lesson.

Rest in peace Jessica.
2 much money

Palos Hills, IL

#12 Jan 2, 2010
22 years old 4x the legal limit. Chicago Tribune reports Nick Sord was

driving a Mercedes suv? Buisness partner with former Black Hawk Dennis Savard?
If this is true sounds to me Mr. Nick Sord is a spoiled kid. Instead of handing everything to our children maybe make them start at the bottom and let them learn true values of money and life.
God Bless Jessica and her family.
nl person

United States

#13 Jan 2, 2010
Not only will he not drive for a long time, but he's going to jail for manslaughter. Sad lesson to learn. It's really a shame for all involved. The parents must be devestated. Tragic.
Too Little

Warrenville, IL

#14 Jan 2, 2010
2 much money wrote:
If this is true sounds to me Mr. Nick Sord is a spoiled kid. Instead of handing everything to our children maybe make them start at the bottom and let them learn true values of money and life.
Too much money isn't the problem. A poor drunk driving a 1989 jalopy could have gotten the same terrible rsults.

Too little moral upbringing, perhaps too little time spent between parents/son, and not enough fear of God and the law seem more likely.
the dr is in

Plainfield, IL

#15 Jan 2, 2010
Candace Anderson wrote:
Only the good die young people, no story here.
<3 RIP JESSICA CHRISTINA MEJIA
I think the story is do not get in the car with a drunk. Hello!!!!!
john

Orland Park, IL

#16 Jan 4, 2010
2 much money wrote:
Maybe you should know nick before you judge him.. he works his ass off for everything he gets!!
john

Orland Park, IL

#17 Jan 4, 2010
2 much money wrote:
oh and do the math its less then 3x the legal limit!!.08 x 3 would be .24.. so not even 3 times but thanks
john

Orland Park, IL

#18 Jan 4, 2010
Too Little wrote:
<quoted text>
Too much money isn't the problem. A poor drunk driving a 1989 jalopy could have gotten the same terrible rsults.
Too little moral upbringing, perhaps too little time spent between parents/son, and not enough fear of God and the law seem more likely.
maybe u shouldnt judge the situation until you know it.. there best friends.. they would do anything for each other.. sad to think u could judge people u dont even know so easily
Poor Rich kid

Alsip, IL

#19 Jan 4, 2010
john wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should know nick before you judge him.. he works his ass off for everything he gets!!
Gimme a break. I find it hard to believe he works so hard at his parents restaurants with that hair and that beard. Don't they have Health Inspectors there? Unless he has the job of sitting on the bar stool, watching sports as he's eating & talking on his cell. Multi-tasking. I hope you are not an old girl friend too?
Lauren

Glenview Nas, IL

#20 Jan 4, 2010
God Bless Jessica and her family. RIP. & it is true, only the good die young. <3

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 19
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palos Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
B.I.P.D. needs leadership now 9 min Eric McVicker 141
Former Midlothian cop convicted striking man wi... 1 hr Todd 7
Midlothian-Crestwood Police on Springfield Ave 3 hr Springfield 2
Chicago Ridge fire chief resigns, officials loo... 4 hr Wake up Chicago R... 25
Will Davies resign tonite or will he try to han... (Jul '13) 4 hr Barb 70
Disco Dave Conrad Mayors choice 12 hr Fest Face 6
Administrative leave is a must for Michael Corn... 12 hr Joe P 24
Palos Hills Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web