Comments
1 - 20 of 38 Comments Last updated Feb 15, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
I WONDER

Prestonsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Aug 26, 2010
 
ARE WE GOING TO HAVE A APPLE BOWL THIS YEAR? I MEAN WHAT HAPPEND LAST YEAR? NO APPLE BOWL WAS THE CRAZIEST! ITS A TRADITION! WHOS BIG IDEA WAS THAT? A TOTAL LOOSER!
Ask PHS Coach

Sitka, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Aug 26, 2010
 
The Apple Bowl is a thing of the past. May as well get used to it. Both teams have open dates this year during Apple Day, will probably stay that way.
Eagle Fan

Paintsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Aug 26, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

Didn't you hear. The Paintsville bunch was fine with playing a big scool like Central as long as they could win a few of the games but when they started to lose all the games they wanted to quit.They said it wasn't right that such a small school should play a big school like Johnson Central.The only way they could keep their winning record in the apple bowl against Central was to quit playing them and that was what they done. What a bunch of crybabies and sissies.
big guy

Paintsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Aug 26, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

since lawrence co. thumped paintsville last week,i wonder how long it takes for phs to drop them? the jc game was a good game for both teams. very little travel involved, it was a money maker for both teams. to bad phs coaches are such babies.
Football Guy

Williamson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Aug 26, 2010
 
Paintsville should not play Lawrence, P-burg, Sheldon Clark or especially a 5A Power like Johnson Central. The times have changed. Little independent schools like Paintsville are going to have to just play each other. Occasionally a really good group of athletes will come through at the same time, and they will be competitive. Today is also the age of the "specialist" athlete at the high school level. Years ago all the best athletes in the school played all three major sports. Now, if a kid shows potential in a particular sport as a youth, then he is isolated to concentrate on becoming the next phenom in that sport. Small schools cannot compete in football if all their best athletes are not suited up and knocking heads. Paintsville's non-district schedule should be: Raceland, Fairview, Paris, Hazard, and Jenkins. Johnson Central has built their impressive program to the level where they are now on the verge of defeating Fort Thomas (freakin') Highlands in the playoffs. Highlands has more state championships than any school in KHSAA history. To think that Johnson Central has evolved to a powerhouse that can be discussed in the same conversation with the mighty Bluebirds is absolutely awesome. They are way past thinking about little old Paintsville. Johnson Central honestly has more competition in practice than Paintsville can offer these days.
You R not serious

Blackwood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Aug 26, 2010
 
Face it. Anyway you try to sell it, Paintsville whoosed out. WTH would Walter Freaking Brugh say to this obvious cowardice?
How can a paintsville kid wear a football jersey in public without the obvious snickers and jeers from the "greasers across the creek"?

And as far as mentioning Central in the same breath as Highlands is concerned, your kidding, right? They have yet to make it to the BIG game, much less win one.

They struggled with a Boyle County team last week which lost it's starting QB and a 3,000 yard all purpose RB. Both teams will struggle when the competition heats up at the season's end.
Football Guy

Williamson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Aug 26, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Central indeed has played Highlands tough, and are ON THE VERGE of negotiationg that imposing obstacle to championship stature. There is no cowardice in the application of common sense. Foolish pride gains nothing for either school. The only people really interested in continuing with this facade of a rivalry are the former players from the days when Central's program was mired in non-participation by their best athlete's, the better football players attending PHS, and political interference from the school board. Coach Matney has changed all that. He flat out gets the kids suited up. He keeps the best athlete's enrolled at JCHS. You can say all you want about his excessive salary and his questionable ethics, but the guy can flat out coach the game of football. Get over the old days of local "competition." Those days are gone for football.
Maybe U R serious

Blackwood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Aug 26, 2010
 
Football Guy wrote:
Central indeed has played Highlands tough, and are ON THE VERGE of negotiationg that imposing obstacle to championship stature. There is no cowardice in the application of common sense. Foolish pride gains nothing for either school. The only people really interested in continuing with this facade of a rivalry are the former players from the days when Central's program was mired in non-participation by their best athlete's, the better football players attending PHS, and political interference from the school board. Coach Matney has changed all that. He flat out gets the kids suited up. He keeps the best athlete's enrolled at JCHS. You can say all you want about his excessive salary and his questionable ethics, but the guy can flat out coach the game of football. Get over the old days of local "competition." Those days are gone for football.
j
Your post has validity. It's a fact that a large number of Central's better athletes chose not to play sports due to the political quagmire
or simply went across the creek. Matney, while having the personality of toliet paper, has rallied the masses in the county and been very successful, by Central standards.

However, I am not satisfied with your reasoning behind paintsville bowing out of the Apple Bowl. Even if Paintsville could win a state title, if they can't beat Central, they will still be second place in the minds of Johnson Countians.

Furthermore, paintsville can rationalize their position all they want. It still doesn't make up for the decade of ass whippings Central took in the rivalry before they became competitive.

Nice try though. You get high marks for creative writing.
Apple Bowl

Staffordsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Aug 26, 2010
 
I don't know much about the current football teams, but the best of the best were there when i was still in high-school in 2006, 07, & 08, or in the least that was when most was accomplished in the mere past. The end of the JCHS/PHS Apple Bowl was a great loss of tradition for this county..I remember going when i was a small child, along with my older cousins and friends. What should have been a tradition and story to pass down generations has come to an abrupt end due to tension and other small problems that shouldv'e never ended such a great show of sportsmanship. Atleast with the controversy brewing all year and kids talking about who was better all the talking smack could be brought to an end with one good game. It is not like this tradition costs the school much money..actually it is nothing but a money maker for both schools and a reasonable excuse to get both schools together. Not everyone walks around hating on the school across the creek! Many of those kids have friends, even siblings going to Paintsville or JCHS.
PHS and JCHS fan

Hagerhill, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Aug 26, 2010
 
this game doesn't benefit JCHS
jchs graduate

Paintsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Aug 27, 2010
 
anything that doesnt get them put on the front page of the sports section in the paintsville herald doesnt benefit PHS. thats the way its always been. it was a major ego buster when they got their butt kicked so they backed out of the appple bowl.
Move Forward My Friends

Williamson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Aug 27, 2010
 
We should all take a look to the future of these programs and stop this... http://www.youtube.com/watch...
who cares

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Dec 6, 2010
 
actually p-ville and johnson central arent aloud to play against each other bc the simple fact the state said!!
p-ville only has 350 students going there and central has over 1000!!
big difference!!
the state stopped the apple bowl so next time u say something make sure u have the true facts!!!
StephanieAkANone Ya

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Dec 6, 2010
 
Those boys played hard..they will make all the way within 2yrs....
Uhh

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Dec 7, 2010
 
who cares wrote:
actually p-ville and johnson central arent aloud to play against each other bc the simple fact the state said!!
p-ville only has 350 students going there and central has over 1000!!
big difference!!
the state stopped the apple bowl so next time u say something make sure u have the true facts!!!
This is absolute nonsense. Jason Kinner did not renew the Apple Bowl contract. Plain and simple. Spread your bull turds somewhere else, maybe something useful will grow there.
Wondering

Sitka, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Dec 7, 2010
 

Judged:

3

1

1

Some believe Paintsville should not play JC or other higher class schools because they are only 1A. JC got to be good because they started playing teams who were better than them to improve themselves, it worked. Look at this years 3A state champs, Central. Central went into the playoffs with a 4W-6L record. When it was all said and done Central was 9W-6L and 3A Champs. ALL 6 losses for Central were to 6A schools. That got them ready to play anyone in there class and WIN. There is no shame in losing to a better team, it only makes you better. Paintsville playing JC, and even losing, will only make them a better team who knows what it is like to play a high caliber team like those they will face as they advance in the playoffs. If you continually play average teams, that is what you will be used to. When you have to play a good team in the playoffs, that will be a shock and something you aren't ready for. This is just something to think about. In the end, it's up to the schools.
All about coaching

Williamson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Dec 8, 2010
 
Wondering wrote:
Some believe Paintsville should not play JC or other higher class schools because they are only 1A. JC got to be good because they started playing teams who were better than them to improve themselves, it worked. Look at this years 3A state champs, Central. Central went into the playoffs with a 4W-6L record. When it was all said and done Central was 9W-6L and 3A Champs. ALL 6 losses for Central were to 6A schools. That got them ready to play anyone in there class and WIN. There is no shame in losing to a better team, it only makes you better. Paintsville playing JC, and even losing, will only make them a better team who knows what it is like to play a high caliber team like those they will face as they advance in the playoffs. If you continually play average teams, that is what you will be used to. When you have to play a good team in the playoffs, that will be a shock and something you aren't ready for. This is just something to think about. In the end, it's up to the schools.
Johnson Central always had the players in their district to compete on a state level. What they finally did was cast aside the "Good 'Ol Boy" system, and spend the money to hire the right man for the job. They started turning in the right direction when they brought in Bill Musick. But, he turned out to be a prima donna. Hiring Coach Matney and his outrageous salary and staff salaries was the key. Back in the PHS heyday, many of their better players were residents of the county district. You don't see that now. Matney and company have gotten the commitment necessary from the boys. They always had a bunch of big strong kids that did not care about football, and therefore they did not participate. Matney and staff have got them: A) Staying in the county school system B) excited and interested throughout all grade levels and C) Flat out working their butts off to get stronger, faster and learning his brand of power football. And, if he ever learns how to coach defense, he will win a state championship. Paintsville hired Paul Brown's grandson because his family runs the school system and he wanted the job. Participation is so low that the program may not be able to field a team in two years. This "Blueblood" shit is killing a once proud community tradition - Paintsville Tiger Football. Look at Paris. They are in even worse shape if that is possible.
Candlejack

Salyersville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Dec 8, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

who cares?
School's need to put learning first, always. And sports last.

The PHS Vs. JCHS always brought about the WORST in the town every year.

Pranks that are not only foolish, but dangerous and borderline criminal.

Fights.
Name calling.

And the damage, and cost to repair.

Stupid rivals.
That gains nothing, more so in the real world where what school you went to doesn't matter any more.

Take in the fact that central can budget more to sports than paintsville has a total budget.
Wondering

Sitka, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Dec 8, 2010
 
All about coaching wrote:
<quoted text>Johnson Central always had the players in their district to compete on a state level. What they finally did was cast aside the "Good 'Ol Boy" system, and spend the money to hire the right man for the job. They started turning in the right direction when they brought in Bill Musick. But, he turned out to be a prima donna. Hiring Coach Matney and his outrageous salary and staff salaries was the key. Back in the PHS heyday, many of their better players were residents of the county district. You don't see that now. Matney and company have gotten the commitment necessary from the boys. They always had a bunch of big strong kids that did not care about football, and therefore they did not participate. Matney and staff have got them: A) Staying in the county school system B) excited and interested throughout all grade levels and C) Flat out working their butts off to get stronger, faster and learning his brand of power football. And, if he ever learns how to coach defense, he will win a state championship. Paintsville hired Paul Brown's grandson because his family runs the school system and he wanted the job. Participation is so low that the program may not be able to field a team in two years. This "Blueblood" shit is killing a once proud community tradition - Paintsville Tiger Football. Look at Paris. They are in even worse shape if that is possible.
Also good points.
who cares

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Feb 6, 2011
 
Uhh wrote:
<quoted text>
This is absolute nonsense. Jason Kinner did not renew the Apple Bowl contract. Plain and simple. Spread your bull turds somewhere else, maybe something useful will grow there.
u really dont know wat the h*ll ur talking about!!
jason kinner is a pus*y but still!!
would u wanna play a school that has over 1000 students when ur school dont even have 350??
no so shut the h*ll up!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

18 Users are viewing the Paintsville Forum right now

Search the Paintsville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr wtf 147,386
Michael endicott/Dwayne price 4 hr Curly 28
keep it up jcso 4 hr to funny 200
Music Contracting Service (May '13) 4 hr wth 23
Yes I Have A Job.... 5 hr candyGirl 3
Day Reads and Comments the OT - Wisdom Books (Jul '13) 5 hr Day 607
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 5 hr Anne52 81,567
•••
•••
•••
Paintsville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Paintsville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Paintsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Paintsville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Paintsville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••