First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Anonymous

Paducah, KY

#1 Dec 17, 2012
Reidland High will be closed tomorrow due to a severe threat. I wouldn't send my kid to any McCracken county school until this is investigated and cleared.
Vic

Mayfield, KY

#2 Dec 17, 2012
As a parent I have had it with these punks. We need to dish out Western ky Justice. When these punks get caught they need the death penalty I know it sounds extreme but it is high time we send a message if you want to make threats against children when you are caught you will be sent to the electric chair, If you want to shoot up a school if you get caught you will get the electric chair. You do not mess with our children in Western Ky is the message we need to send. You wantr attention we will give it to you py putting you to death if convicted.
SCREW THE SUN

Providence, KY

#3 Dec 17, 2012
This is ridiculous on so many levels. The Paducah Sun is refusing to turn over the author of the letter that was sent, claiming the have rights to the story. I say burn every paper that comes to your door, they are working with the devil.
racist

United States

#4 Dec 17, 2012
Yeah I agree with that death penalty
parent

Paducah, KY

#5 Dec 17, 2012
I don't want to send my kid to school tomorrow. What about the rest of the schools in the county?
Anonymous

Paducah, KY

#6 Dec 17, 2012
All of McCracken County should be canceled.
parent

Paducah, KY

#7 Dec 17, 2012
kkrash wrote:
All of McCracken County should be canceled.
Who should we contact?
Anonymous

Paducah, KY

#8 Dec 17, 2012
Nancy Waldrop I believe is her name. McCracken County superintendent. What if Reidland is just a diversion, so they can go after another school? It makes me sick!
parent

Paducah, KY

#9 Dec 17, 2012
Subject:

Reidland High and Middle Schools Closed Due to Threat

Date:

December 17, 2012

Monday morning December 17, 2012 at approximately 10:00AM, the McCracken County Sheriff’s Department was contacted by a reporter with the Paducah Sun stating that a letter that contained a serious threat was sent to the newspaper’s editor concerning Reidland High School. When myself and a detective requested the letter, as well as the authors name and phone number which was attached to the letter, our request was denied, citing ethical obligations to protect the newspapers sources.

Myself along with Capt. Matt Carter then requested and was granted a meeting with Duke Conover, the Executive Editor of the Paducah Sun at about 1:00PM. The need for the letter, its author and contact information so that a thorough and immediate investigation could be conducted was explained to the editor, whom again denied the request stating ethical obligations on the newspapers part to protect its sources. At approximately 4:30PM, another request was made to the newspaper from the McCracken County Attorney’s Office. At this point, the newspaper agreed to turn over the letter, but refused to provide the authors name or contact information.

Additional requests were made from the McCracken County Commonwealth Attorney Dan Boaz.

Sheriff’s officials, the McCracken County Commonwealth Attorney Dan Boaz, Assistant County Attorneys Sam Clymer and Meridith Oliver, met with McCracken County School Superintendent Nancy Waldrop, board attorney Gorman Bradley, as well as the schools systems head of security, Monday evening to discuss the threat, as well as the inability to adequately investigate the threat without the information that was needed from the Paducah Sun. Calls to the newspapers attorneys Monday night did not rectify the situation.

It was decided for the safety of the students, that school will be cancelled and the school will not be in session until the threat has been adequately investigated. The closure includes the Reidland Middle School only as an extra precaution due to the two school buildings being attached.

Efforts to obtain the much needed information from the Paducah Sun will continue.

End of Release

Issues

Providence, KY

#10 Dec 17, 2012
The Paducah Sun needs to realize there are orders from a higher power that tell us to surpass ethics for the greater good.
Tracie

United States

#11 Dec 18, 2012
No one finds it odd that te paper contacted the sheriffs office then denied them the information they contacted them about? Sounds a little like a reporter wanting attention.
Truth

Paducah, KY

#12 Dec 18, 2012
According to the paducah sun the letter wasn't the threat, it was asking why threats to the school haven't been taken seriously. If a student or parent wrote it they might be scared that the student will be punished. If a staff member wrote it they are probably scared they will get fired by the nazi adninistration. Evidently something hasn't been taken seriously and the letter is asking why.
hey hey

Duluth, GA

#13 Dec 18, 2012
Why just county schools? Why not city as well? Really think if something was to happen they couldn't do it at the city schools ? My kids go to lone oak and I'm sending them. This is horseshit.
Parent

La Fayette, KY

#14 Dec 18, 2012
Why don't the parents go picket and protest WPSD and The Pad Sun
wow

Paducah, KY

#15 Dec 18, 2012
So, Paducah Sun and its head dumbass can't release the name and what if this threat really did exist? I guess they want a repeat of 1997, not saying it would happen but you have to work with the law officials on things like this. Another reason, why I never buy the Sun.
willie

Duluth, GA

#16 Dec 18, 2012
This makes no sense. If the paducah sun holds a letter that could save lives, they should be in trouble! I will not buy another paper!
Praying

Providence, KY

#18 Dec 18, 2012
Hope that nothing happens, but if it does, they will need to be held accountable for withholding information.
hmmmm

Duluth, GA

#19 Dec 18, 2012
SCREW THE SUN wrote:
This is ridiculous on so many levels. The Paducah Sun is refusing to turn over the author of the letter that was sent, claiming the have rights to the story. I say burn every paper that comes to your door, they are working with the devil.
don't get me wrong, I don't agree with the Paducah Sun withholding the info, but it's not because they are claiming rights. It is a part of the code of ethics they have to go by. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place with this. They sought legal counseling this morning to determine how to handle it.
Teamsters Proud

Paducah, KY

#20 Dec 18, 2012
They can also hide behind a law that originated in Kentucky called shield law or reporters' privilege is legislation designed to provide a news reporter with the right to refuse to testify as to information and/or sources of information obtained during the news gathering and dissemination process.
Agreed

Duluth, GA

#21 Dec 18, 2012
SCREW THE SUN wrote:
What a bunch of idiots! Our kids could be in danger and they want to protect one individual. This is why everything is so screwed up!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paducah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Get the Paducah Topix News on Facebook! 1 min Topix 1
Broke Straight boys (Apr '13) 24 min Greg 39
My ex dating sister n law 25 min Conner 5
looking 4 hot guys 27 min Conner 34
Watkins/Bridges for State Rep. 29 min NO Bill 90
Redheads are so ugly! (Feb '14) 31 min Sarah 173
Dog Friendly Outdoor Dining? 39 min Customer 4
Sharon Franklin 39 min an acquaintance 11
Paducah Dating
Find my Match