need names if good therapists

Posted in the Paducah Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Need Help

United States

#1 Sep 8, 2011
Does anyone know of any good therapists around here?
Trevor

Kuttawa, KY

#2 Sep 8, 2011
Are you needing mental health, substance abuse, family, etc.?
Need Help

United States

#3 Sep 8, 2011
Relationship therapist
old man

Paducah, KY

#4 Sep 8, 2011
Need Help wrote:
Relationship therapist
Dr. Ruth
Need Help

United States

#5 Sep 8, 2011
Where is he located
Curiosity

Union City, TN

#6 Sep 8, 2011
It's been my experience that when you go to a therapist with any type of problem, the first thing they will likely do is put the patient on medication. Usually antidepressants. Not all therapists are created equally, for sure. Taking antidepressants only mask the symptoms and do not get to the root of the problem.

If you are trying to get over a relationship break-up, the first thing they'll ask is if you're sleeping well at night, if you are depressed, etc. Get ready for that prescription to come across the desk.

Pills do not guarantee that everything 'will be alright.' Not to mention the fact that if you stop taking the meds all at once without giving your body a chance to taper off on the chemicals, you are going to have a world of problems and side effects associated with taking them and then going off. I've known a few people who did that and what they went through was horrifying. One woman I know had to check herself into rehab and detox herself.

It's not a pretty picture.
Bruce

Paducah, KY

#7 Sep 8, 2011
Need Help wrote:
Where is he located
http://drruth.com/
Need Help

United States

#8 Sep 8, 2011
Curiosity wrote:
It's been my experience that when you go to a therapist with any type of problem, the first thing they will likely do is put the patient on medication. Usually antidepressants. Not all therapists are created equally, for sure. Taking antidepressants only mask the symptoms and do not get to the root of the problem.

If you are trying to get over a relationship break-up, the first thing they'll ask is if you're sleeping well at night, if you are depressed, etc. Get ready for that prescription to come across the desk.

Pills do not guarantee that everything 'will be alright.' Not to mention the fact that if you stop taking the meds all at once without giving your body a chance to taper off on the chemicals, you are going to have a world of problems and side effects associated with taking them and then going off. I've known a few people who did that and what they went through was horrifying. One woman I know had to check herself into rehab and detox herself.

It's not a pretty picture.
I don't want to be on meds.. I need a so called life coach. Someone to help me work through my problems and thoughts.
Zystone

Hillsville, VA

#9 Sep 8, 2011
Need Help wrote:
<quoted text>I don't want to be on meds.. I need a so called life coach. Someone to help me work through my problems and thoughts.
Been though the same stuff myself. If you are looking specifically for talk therapy (not meds) there's a WONDERFUL counselor in Benton named Steve Alexander. I saw him for several years, and I truly believe that if it wasn't for him, then most likely I wouldn't be here today. He does *not* give medication, but rather if he thinks it would benefit you, then he'd refer you to a MD that he knows will truly be interested in you well-being.
Need Help

United States

#10 Sep 9, 2011
Zystone wrote:
<quoted text>Been though the same stuff myself. If you are looking specifically for talk therapy (not meds) there's a WONDERFUL counselor in Benton named Steve Alexander. I saw him for several years, and I truly believe that if it wasn't for him, then most likely I wouldn't be here today. He does *not* give medication, but rather if he thinks it would benefit you, then he'd refer you to a MD that he knows will truly be interested in you well-being.
Do you know of any females. I can't even talk to my boyfriend about my problems, definitely don't think I coils talk to a male I don't know.
Norah

Chicago, IL

#11 Sep 14, 2011
Dr Sarah Shelton of Psychological Welness. They are absolutely amazing down there. Dr Shelton is so nice and she is the only therapist I found that showed that she truly cares. She funny too (:
?

United States

#12 Sep 14, 2011
Norah wrote:
Dr Sarah Shelton of Psychological Welness. They are absolutely amazing down there. Dr Shelton is so nice and she is the only therapist I found that showed that she truly cares. She funny too (:
Thank you
Paducah Resident

Paducah, KY

#13 Aug 11, 2013
I agree with Norah. Dr. Shelton is amazing. You should look at her qualifications. Ill post a link of her site. She is on tv sometimes and in the newspaper for her opinion. She is really easy to talk to and really shows she cares. She also doesn't prescribe you alot of drugs, but gives you projects and strategies on how to cope with your problems. I think some psychologists never really try to help you get better, but string you along to keep you coming in, but she has actually given me the tools to make my situation better. I've heard she might not be taking new patients, but if you can get an appointment to see her, I would definitely recommend her. http://www.psychologicalgroup.com/aboutdrshel...
paducah

Barlow, KY

#14 Aug 11, 2013
Jill Flynn is wonderful
S M Afzal name therapist

Karachi, Pakistan

#16 Nov 22, 2013
The only name therapist in Pakistan, author, spiritual healer/consultant,scholar just to name a few.Have conducted and anchored hundreds of live TV programs with videos of such programs available globally online.
Unbelievable

Paducah, KY

#17 Nov 24, 2013
Somebody give that Andy guy a therapist name. Him and family need one bad
Ali

Karachi, Pakistan

#18 Apr 16, 2014
What is his contact number?
sameer

Karachi, Pakistan

#19 Apr 16, 2014
S M Afzal name therapist wrote:
The only name therapist in Pakistan, author, spiritual healer/consultant,scholar just to name a few.Have conducted and anchored hundreds of live TV programs with videos of such programs available globally online.
number of s m afzal
barbie

Paducah, KY

#20 Apr 16, 2014
The best therapist at 4 Rivers is Lisa Summers! She has a good reputation & is very easy to talk to. I have seen her for over a year and she has helped me work through a bunch of stuff. She told me that if someone says they are immune from depression or anxiety, they haven't had the wrong loss or trauma happen to them yet. That made me feel better but she also said that not everyone with depression & anxiety needs medication. I have never felt like she judged me when I told her things from my past. I heard there is a younger girl there that is good too. She worked with drug court & rides a harley. They have some old nurse that is clueless about therapy & is always late for appointments. Apparantly she talks about her own problems more than how to help you. I hope you find someone that you can trust and that they can help you.
tina aka tloo

Paducah, KY

#21 Apr 16, 2014
I get depressed a lot -_-

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paducah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Get the Paducah Topix News on Facebook! 1 min Topix 1
thetallcoolone 7 min curious chick 27
tlo going to court charges filed 13 min curious chick 9
Keep A Word - Drop A Word (Feb '10) 35 min teensy 1,256
Two words~~Last Letter of last word~~GAME (Jun '13) 39 min teensy 2,160
Drop a word, add a word (Nov '12) 47 min teensy 5,732
Paducah Police 50 min question 12
~~Song Title Game~~ (Jan '13) 52 min teensy 3,546
Paducah Dating
Find my Match