The Seeker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

This was brought up in the Longfellow school thread. I am interested in learning more about this. I found some old articles on google but they don't provide much information.
chas

Central City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

I am also interested in learning more. Now that I have been assured this really happened in the haunting of Longfellow post. I was told many years ago by a pi and it has been in back of my head for years. Really so sad.
To

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Wasn't she the girl killed behind Longfellow school, I think maybe raped and killed
wow

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

try the library kentucky room (at the old library asume new too). they archive all that stuff. did a family tree project there.
chas

Central City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Yes she was
The Seeker

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

So what do you all know about it?
chas

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Look under other post it's under Longfellow haunting
chas

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

In other post tells who they think 3 boys are
The Muted Man

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

I suppose I should begin by stating the obvious. This post is long…but it has to be. The rumors surrounding the death of Mary Owen at Longfellow Elementary school run deep into the heart of this community and have existed for decades, yet the truth continues to evade us. Recently I noticed that a few individuals had mentioned the incident in an older post discussing supposedly haunted areas in Owensboro. Over the years and on many occasions I too have heard it mentioned that the old Longfellow school was haunted but knew very little regarding the story behind the claim. In an effort to be as forthcoming as possible I must admit that I am not as interested in the paranormal slant of this incident as I am in the facts, and what follows is just that “the facts.” Or at least what was reported as factual at the time the events occurred.

April 2nd 1972
Fifteen-year-old Mary Greer Owen leaves her home at 420 Griffith Ave at approximately 6:30 P.M. to go to Lichens Drugs at 1700 Frederica St. Official reports say she was last seen alive in the store around 7:00 P.M. At approximately 8:00 P.M. her body was found at Longfellow Elementary School (located directly behind Lichens Drugs) by two teenage boys (neither of whom's identities were ever disclosed). Official reports say the boys went to Mary’s home, got her father, and took him back to the school yard where they had discovered her body. According to Coroner Ira Taylor, Mary had been the victim of a “deviate sexual attack.” He reported that she had been strangled with a belt and both of her wrists had been slashed. He declined to discuss the “sexual molestation.”
*It is important to note that the initial report, printed the day after the murder, clearly states “there is no word on what clues, if any, had been uncovered, although the belt with which the girl was strangled was reported to be a size 34 – not the girls.” However, in every article printed thereafter the official report states that Mary was strangled with her own “white belt.” No clarification was ever offered.
The Muted Man

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

April 14th 1972
Police arrest sixteen-year-old Richard A. Greenwell at 3:34 P.M. at his home in relation to the slaying of Mary Owen. They do not reveal his identity to the public at this time.

April 18th 1972
Commonwealth Attorney William Gant allows copies of Greenwell’s arrest warrant to be made public (thus disclosing Greenwell’s identity) in an effort to end “numerous rumors of ridiculous proportions.” At this time Gant also reveals that human hairs found on Mary Owen’s body matched samples from the head of Richard Greenwell and that at least two people witnessed Greenwell and Mary Owen leave the vicinity of the Greenwell home earlier in the evening on the night of the murder.

April 19th 1972
Greenwell appears at a juvenile court hearing. Judge Ronald Sullivan orders that the case be bound over to the grand jury and that Greenwell be tried as an adult.

April 20th 1972
Greenwell appears before Daviess Circuit Judge Dan Griffith and is committed to the Central State Hospital near Louisville for observation after being indicted by the county grand jury for murder. Greenwell pleads innocent to the charge following the indictment. Judge Griffith declines to set bond.
The Muted Man

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

June 10th 1972
Greenwell is released on $20,000 bond and continues to receive “court-ordered psychiatric examinations” at the Central State Hospital in Louisville.

June 22nd 1972
Pre-trial hearing scheduled for July 13th in Daviess County Circuit Court.

July 13th 1972
August 28th trial date set. Reports released that Greenwell has been found competent to stand trial.
August 28th 1972
Greenwell appears before Circuit Judge Henry Griffin in Daviess Circuit Court and pleads guilty to an ammended voluntary manslaughter charge . He is sentenced to 20 years in prison. The reduced charge was recommeded by Commonwealth Attorney William Gant after concluding that Greenwell’s murder of Mary Owen was an “impulsive act.” According to official reports Mr. and Mrs. David F. Owen , Mary’s parents, had agreed to the reduced charges. Had Greenwell been tried and convicted of murder, his original charge, he would have received a life sentence. At the time of his sentencing it was reported that Greenwell would be eligible for parole after 5 years in jail on the voluntary manslaughter charge. Following sentencing, Greenwell is taken to LaGrange Reformatory.
The Muted Man

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

January 4th 1973
Greenwell’s 20 year sentence is suspended by Daviess Circuit Judge Henry M. Griffin. Griffin orders that Greenwell be transferred to a youth treatment facility in Michigan for psychiatric treatment. He cites Greenwell’s age and the lack of special psychiatric facilities at the LaGrange Reformatory as reasons for making his decision. Conditions on the suspension of Greenwell’s sentence said he would not be allowed to leave the facility for at least five years except for a death in his family, even then he must remain under supervision. Griffin also said that anytime after five years the facility must certify that Greenwell can safely be returned to society before being released.

The trail runs cold at this point but it is certain that by March of 1981 Richard A. Greenwell was no longer in custody, was married, and a father. Today he is 57 years old, remains married to the same woman and is now a grandfather.

Mary Greer Owen is buried at the Mount Hope Cemetery in Watertown, South Dakota. Rest in Peace.

Level 1

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Her dad worked for MI and u won't find anything there. Greenwell had a twin brother. There dad was a CEO type at Texas Gas and got him moved to a mental ward in another state. What other state would pay for a criminal??? He probably got out in 2. The best place to look is the Louisville Journal newspaper. I think other rich kids were involved and Greenwell took the wrap. I want to know more. I think Mary would of graduated in 1976 from OHS. I don't know anyone from that class. Mary also had a younger brother. I would like to know more.

Level 1

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

I did hear her family was held in judgement for religious reasons for having a "wake." Her mom taught business at OHS and was their yearbook supervisor.
Truth

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

It was rumored at the time that one of Waitman Taylor's sons was involved...the same Dr Taylor that committed suicide about ten or 15 years ago.
i know

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Truth wrote:
It was rumored at the time that one of Waitman Taylor's sons was involved...the same Dr Taylor that committed suicide about ten or 15 years ago.
His suicide note said he could no longer live with the guilt of what he did and yes I know first hand. To prove it when his son found him dead he said "Look daddy spilled ketchup" which was actually blood from where he shot hisself
Ann

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Richard Greenwell was born in 1955. His brother David was born in 1956. Richard didn't have a twin.

Dr. Taylor died in 1991.
surgeon

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

I remember hearing a rumor that a local surgeon was also involved in this case.
truth

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

So who was everyone involved in her murder?
Ann

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

i know wrote:
<quoted text>
His suicide note said he could no longer live with the guilt of what he did and yes I know first hand. To prove it when his son found him dead he said "Look daddy spilled ketchup" which was actually blood from where he shot hisself
So sad. It looks like he and his wife had 3 sons under the age of 5.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

104 Users are viewing the Owensboro Forum right now

Search the Owensboro Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Get the Owensboro Topix News on Facebook! 1 min Topix 1
Leslie Leach 5 min Id Hit it 2
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 9 min Obama Zombies 146,367
Gasman (Jan '14) 24 min Lol 4
Threesome with my wife 33 min The Fartman Cometh 3
Silent but Deadly 35 min The Fartman Cometh 3
best place in public to sneak a quickie? (Mar '13) 37 min Reed Timmerman 32
Methmakers 53 min Privacy 6
•••
•••
•••
•••

Owensboro Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000