Bulldoze THE STRIP

Posted in the Osage Beach Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of35
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Osage Beach

Troy, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Aug 23, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Wouldnt this be the best thing to do,from the churches on down to the dam BULLDOZE ,start all over make it a entertainment district.The churches are the only nice buildings down there that are taken care of the rest is Hullbilly Heaven and it is embarassing to look at.YUCKY YUCKY
Pat

Bolingbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Feb 2, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

Osage Beach wrote:
Wouldnt this be the best thing to do,from the churches on down to the dam BULLDOZE ,start all over make it a entertainment district.The churches are the only nice buildings down there that are taken care of the rest is Hullbilly Heaven and it is embarassing to look at.YUCKY YUCKY
I hate to say it, but maybe you're right. Ever since somebody kidnapped, shot and killed tourism in the area, "the strip" appears to have simply been overrun with ne'er-do-wells, which was the precursor to the for sale/for rent signs. Another example of the annihilation of a wholesome family destination. Then again, where else can you go to church, go to school, get a tattoo/piercing, lift one too many beers, browse a sex boutique, buy ammo & live bait and get a tee shirt commemorating the experience, all within a couple of blocks. Only in America!
LO Citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Feb 3, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

If it bother you that much then just stay away.
Out of the City

Osage Beach, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Feb 3, 2011
 

Judged:

2

2

1

The Strip in Lake Ozark started tourism at the Lake of the Ozarks. In the 1970's Bagnell Dam Area was the number one tourist destination in the state of Missouri. Than came our City Governments and Regulations. The Strip will come back on it's own just leave them alone just get off the property and business owners backs.
Pat

Bolingbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Feb 3, 2011
 

Judged:

1

LO Citizen wrote:
If it bother you that much then just stay away.
Does it bother me that much? Yes. Therefore, do I stay away? Yes. Not because I want to, but because it's just too hard to experience it for anything positive the way it presently is. As another poster said, the Bagnell Dam area was once the #1 family destination in the country. I apologize for my previous sarcasm, it's just that it's such a sad situation to see what is probably the most beautiful part of the world look like it does today.
GEEZOPEEZO

Lake Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Feb 4, 2011
 

Judged:

3

3

2

The strip has been in a downward spiral for 30 years .It is nasty, outdated, nothing of any historical value other than maybe the old White House building that the stingy greedy old fart that owns it wont sell it.It just sits there vacant.Shame on him.I say BULLDOZE and start all over .The buildings are hodgepodge junk. Take note on how Branson has improved L.O just stays the same old nasty way.
no fruitloops

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Feb 5, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Wake up lake ozark...with the new highway coming in owners of the property on the strip better shape it up. I love to "brag" about our beautiful lake but....the only thing interesting on the strip is the secret of the indian. I hope he stays in place forever.
Another LO Citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Feb 5, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

It is a handful of property owners on the strip that have ruined it. They are the ones that refuse to maintain their buildings, and then rent to losers that have absolutely no interest in the area. It's the same handful of property owners that don't believe any building code applies to them. I feel for the many owners on the Strip that have nice businesses, only to to see their livelihood going down the crapper due to the slumlords.
someone from the outside

Lake Ozark, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Feb 7, 2011
 
with the economy the outlook of someone building new is bleak but 242will develop then that will spread growth to the strip, now lets say we bulldoze the strip today yes taxes are not what they use to be but it helps keep residental rates lower on sewer and water since commercial pays a higher rate and the last snow would there have been enough money to do snow removal, the city no matter where needs to be ready to work with new development to enlarge a tax growth and all will change even the strip
just sayin

Dexter, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Feb 22, 2011
 

Judged:

1

We went to old town Branson a couple of months ago and what a shocker! I had not been there in years. I would love to see the strip make improvements comparable to Branson. We are really missing the boat here. People/families can spend their money anywhere. I would like to see less bars and more family oriented facilities on the strip. Nothing against the bar owners just would like to expand our customer base.
Embarrassed

Camdenton, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Feb 24, 2011
 

Judged:

3

2

1

Bulldoze it and start from the ground up. And quit waiting for some mystery handout to rebuild it.
Lorent

Rumford, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Feb 24, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I grew up LOVING the strip. It was very special to come to the strip back in the 1970s. We came FOR the funky, sleazy bohemian feel that it had then and still has today to a lesser degree, We came for the head shops, cheap bumper car and arcade game rooms, the giant, cheap t-shirt stores, to play tic-tac-toe against a chicken and great, affordable, homemade junk food available all along the strip.

You can bulldoze it, homogenize it and rebuild it as a dull, completely family friendly 3rd rate 6 flags if you want but you will be losing so much more than you will ever gain by trying to recreate a 3rd rate Branson imitator.
Agreed

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Feb 25, 2011
 

Judged:

3

1

Lorent, you are absolutely right!!!
I know of no other place with the atmosphere
that the strip has!
puzzledabouttheb itchers

Lake Ozark, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Feb 25, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Have you guys ever heard of private property rights or do you own anything? What is your city or county didnt like your house or buildings and just wanted to come in and bulldoze it, how would you view that?

Should I take your money to buy someone else's property and then more of your money to clean it up? Should I then sell it at a loss, or just what should I do with it then?

Lake Ozark used to be a thriving town, even before it was an incorpated city beginning in 1966. They have made a boat load of mistakes, but before they were bypassed in the seventies, their sales taxes from all the people passing through used to generate enough money (as well as profits for the business owners to keep their buildings up) to pave city streets. Since (1) they got into the sewer business without yet being in the water business (2) Since they got bypassed and much of the business went to Osage Beach (3) since they consolidated with Lakeland which was always financially strapped and couldnt even modernize itself because it had no commercial activity, as well as other minor mistakes too numerous to mention they have went down hill.

All that is what is faced by the strip and the city of lake ozark that is why they have fought so hard for the new road, and why they have fought for MODESA and for a major developer near the strip on the old AMEREN land.

Have you people ever heard of ROME not being built in a day? It has taken nearly forty years of declining commercial activity to bring the strip to where it is. I personally know that Jeff Carroll, Bill Kuhlow, Joe and Mike Page, Jeff VanDonsel, and others have worked very hard to make something happen down there. If you dissatisfied with the wait and have to bitch, why dont you approach one of those people and ask what you can do to help.
sympathetic

Woodridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Feb 26, 2011
 

Judged:

1

puzzledaboutthebitchers wrote:
Have you guys ever heard of private property rights or do you own anything? What is your city or county didnt like your house or buildings and just wanted to come in and bulldoze it, how would you view that?
Should I take your money to buy someone else's property and then more of your money to clean it up? Should I then sell it at a loss, or just what should I do with it then?
Lake Ozark used to be a thriving town, even before it was an incorpated city beginning in 1966. They have made a boat load of mistakes, but before they were bypassed in the seventies, their sales taxes from all the people passing through used to generate enough money (as well as profits for the business owners to keep their buildings up) to pave city streets. Since (1) they got into the sewer business without yet being in the water business (2) Since they got bypassed and much of the business went to Osage Beach (3) since they consolidated with Lakeland which was always financially strapped and couldnt even modernize itself because it had no commercial activity, as well as other minor mistakes too numerous to mention they have went down hill.
All that is what is faced by the strip and the city of lake ozark that is why they have fought so hard for the new road, and why they have fought for MODESA and for a major developer near the strip on the old AMEREN land.
Have you people ever heard of ROME not being built in a day? It has taken nearly forty years of declining commercial activity to bring the strip to where it is. I personally know that Jeff Carroll, Bill Kuhlow, Joe and Mike Page, Jeff VanDonsel, and others have worked very hard to make something happen down there. If you dissatisfied with the wait and have to bitch, why dont you approach one of those people and ask what you can do to help.
I can see your point. I think everyone is just a bit nostalgic for the way things used to be (and rightfully so), when the strip was a thriving family destination, instead of having the appalling and "forgotten about" appearance that it has today. Unfortunately, the same thing is happening to Osage Beach. It has been on a downward spiral as far as tourism goes for a dozen years. Now that OB has been bypassed as well, the desolation and subsequent decay will set in rapidly. Small businesses, as well as "big-box" retailers for that matter, simply cannot survive in a town with a population of under 5,000 with all of the traffic flying around it at 70 MPH instead of going through it. The whole region has simply shunned tourism (whether intended or not) and will have to cope with getting by on trade from a very small amount of permanent residents and maybe a few weekenders/second homeowners and in my mind, there's justy simply not enough of that to sustain the town without tourism. I remember not too long ago having to have reservations in Osage Beach months in advance to get an adequate motel room and paying premium prices. Now you can roll into town and have your pick of the best for less than half the money. I also remember waiting in line for restaurants, packed attractions, full parking lots, etc. Now all I see is little or no traffic, vacancies, empty parking lots and ill-maintained businesses. It's a crying shame. Then again, I've watched the area re-invent itself many times over the years, so all I can do is hope it finds a way to do so again.
old timer

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 3, 2011
 

Judged:

1

just read an update on three properties that are making some changes. That's a good sign
laker joe

Stover, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 4, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

They need to do to the strip what Branson did to the landing. TIF the heck out of it, build a bridge on the far side and make it a pedestrian traffic only. Put stores on the bottom levels and condo's/townhomes up top. Make a nice ampitheater. Just really do it up nice. Maybe even a few Branson type entertainment venues---
sympathetic

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 4, 2011
 

Judged:

6

3

3

Agreed wrote:
Lorent, you are absolutely right!!!
I know of no other place with the atmosphere
that the strip has!
I've seen plenty of small towns with abandoned stores and dilapidated/vacant buildings with for rent & for sale signs. This is hardly what I would call "atmosphere."
Out of the City

Osage Beach, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Mar 5, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Let's not BULLDOZE THE STRIP. Here is a more practable let's merge the STRIP and all the property South and West of Bagnell Dam into Osage Beach. Leave all the property North Shore of Bagnell Dam in Lake Ozark, the City Hall could take over the old Lakeland
City Hall at no expense.

This would make everyone happhy.
youdontsay

Lake Ozark, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Mar 5, 2011
 

Judged:

1

That would work fine, out. They already have the p&z chair living on the northside, the mayor and the police chief and at least half of the police. give it back to the northsiders. They just couldnt pay for all the improvements (water systems, sewer systems, or police protection for that matter) made since the consolidation. I doubt the bond companies would go along with it, but its what they deserve for their corruption.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of35
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Osage Beach Discussions

Search the Osage Beach Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 3 hr Dumb Ass Liberals 92,140
MO Missouri's Prop C: Voters Set to Challenge Heal... (Aug '10) 6 hr dear guest 18,909
MO Missouri Proposition B: The Puppy Mill Bill (Oct '10) 19 hr guest 6,872
MO Who do you support for Auditor in Missouri in 2... (Oct '10) 19 hr guest 262
places to go Wed guest 1
Disconnecting from Cable TV Apr 16 David 1
MO August 3 Missouri Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Apr 14 guest 10,206
•••
•••
•••
•••

Osage Beach Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Osage Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••