Ortonville celebrates with Creekfest on Saturday

Jun 9, 2008 Full story: Oakland Press

If it weren't for the Kearsley Creek inspiring Amos Orton to construct a grist mill more than 150 years ago, the Village of Ortonville might never have been built.

Full Story
RAH

Flint, MI

#1 Jun 10, 2008
I was disappointed at the lack of attendance...
however, I think that most of the problem was the lack of advertisement in our local newpapers: The Citizen and The Reminder!! Usually, when an event is approaching there is more information published about the activities, maps to say where parking is available, where to get food and how much it might cost. My friend and I were flabergasted at the lack and quality of affordable edibles and totally surprised that a fund raiser...was it for the Ortonville Village Council?...cost an amazing $40.00 per plate! And the signage sucked too! The banner across M15 was in tatters on Friday, and I think that was the first time I saw it! Who was in charge of this fiasco? I was also imformed by a merchant that no one from the Citizen was seen taking photos of any of the events nor doing any interviews! What's up with that? It almost seems that people are beginning to give up on our beautiful little village. And to me that would be a terrible thing! Even though I live in Groveland Township, I have an Ortonville mailing address and I enjoy the village very much.
RAH

Flint, MI

#2 Jun 10, 2008
Despite the indication under my name, which makes absolutely no sense, what I stated about my residency in my comment is correct.
OTown Resident

Oxford, MI

#3 Jun 14, 2008
Don't confuse this with Septemberfest. It isn't the same thing. The main intent is to raise awareness about our watershed.
There is always lower attendance, but it was comparable to last year and has grown over the years. The event was advertised in many papers, but maybe not enough for some. The tattered banner over the road was tattered by the storm that blew threw town.
The $40 event had nothing to do with Creek Fest. It was a DDA fundraiser. Food at Creek Fest was provided by the Ortonville Historical Society and available at the Old Mill at a very reasonable cost. I don't believe there have ever been food vendors at this event, but I might be wrong.
There were also many things for attendees to do at no or little cost. There was an art contest for the kids from the local school, a poetry contest, a magician, a bat show, minnow races, face painting and many other things to do.
Many local business were very supportive and donated time, money and resources to the event. Believe it or not, there were many volunteers that worked hard to make the event a success. This event takes months of planning and coordination and many long hours of volunteer work. No one is paid to put on these events; they are solely supposed by volunteer help.
This event will probably become larger and larger as time goes on with more activities, more presentations and more fun. As I always say, if you are disappointed in something done by a volunteer organization, get involved, make a difference.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ortonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Carol Cain: People care about the old Detroit n... Aug '14 reality is a crutch 4
Searching for Hadley Press (Oct '12) Jul '14 Kathy Wardell 3
dzi construction Jul '14 Electrician 1
B. Hive (Oct '13) Jul '14 Shelley 18
Affordable housing in Oxford/Lake Orion Jul '14 Lynn 1
Mich. mom of fifth-grader stuck in chair says p... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Jorja Fox 1
searching (May '13) May '13 Crystal Glass-Men... 1
Ortonville Dating
Find my Match

Ortonville Jobs

Ortonville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Ortonville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Ortonville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]