Deaf academy's troubles stretch Mount Dora police thin

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

With its green lawns and trim landscaping, the exterior of the National Deaf Academy projects tranquillity.
Comments
1 - 20 of 28 Comments Last updated Dec 18, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
MrsS

Leesburg, FL

#2 Jun 23, 2009
So the Mt. Dora police chief is telling the world his personnel can't handle a problem at NDA and another call in town at the same time? Good luck Mount Dora residents when this word is spread. And, if they can't handle the problems that arise at NDA, why did the city give them a business license? Come on. They (NDA) are fixing the problem. Work with them. And in the process don't shoot yourself in the foot!
moe green

Mount Dora, FL

#4 Jun 23, 2009
there isn't a walmart in mt dora.

there is one in tavares... whoever wrote this article needs to check into their facts.
Bill Cosby

Boynton Beach, FL

#5 Jun 23, 2009
Moe,
You are a dumbass, do you need a map, gps, or a new set of glasses???? Is Eudora Road in Tavares? I think you need moe brains, not moe green!
Cinda

Mount Dora, FL

#6 Jun 23, 2009
during these times when budgets are stretched and cut backs are on the table the police need to work with the academy and the academy needs to do more to secure their facility, this article really makes the mount dora police look like a bunch of whiners. I now do wonder statistically where they spend the other parts of their time because the deaf academy averages just under 1 call per day and walmart's calls aren't exactly sucking up their time. Some things are left unsaid or you open yourselves up for critcism.
malloy

Tavares, FL

#7 Jun 23, 2009
moe green wrote:
there isn't a walmart in mt dora.
there is one in tavares... whoever wrote this article needs to check into their facts.
Sure, and there is no Target neither!
Mt Dora resident

Orlando, FL

#11 Jun 23, 2009
Cinda wrote:
during these times when budgets are stretched and cut backs are on the table the police need to work with the academy and the academy needs to do more to secure their facility, this article really makes the mount dora police look like a bunch of whiners. I now do wonder statistically where they spend the other parts of their time because the deaf academy averages just under 1 call per day and walmart's calls aren't exactly sucking up their time. Some things are left unsaid or you open yourselves up for critcism.
If u people had a clue what police actually do then u could comment ....undedicated patrol time is when they find the bad guys and yes Mt Dora has them it does but up to Orange County...Do a ride a long sometime ......Mt Dora PD keep up the good work...stop as many cars and people as u need to, to find out where the bad guys are i dont mind a 10 min traffic stop.
BoDiddly

Melbourne, FL

#13 Jun 23, 2009
Do as fire depts do and charge a business for repeat calls that can or should be handled by the staff. There is no excuse to use police officers as security guards or nursing assistants. Scoggins needs to stop sending officers for calls of this nature. By doing so, he is reinforcing the management to depend on local law enforcement and become lax in hiring enough staff.
NDA Staff Member

New Smyrna Beach, FL

#14 Jun 23, 2009
First off, only a few of the residents at NDA are "retards." Just wanted to clarify that for some of you who are throwing that offensive word around.

Secondly, NDA may not accepted "adjudicated" sex offenders, but they take sex offenders pre-adjudication or help them avoid adjudication. They have sexually aggressive patients there who have committed sex crimes. Those are some of the patients that get out or escape into the community.

NDA is a for-profit company. They should be providing their own security and properly trained staff, not calling the cops EVERYDAY and costing tax payers. The state licensing agencies should allow those staff to restrain patients,and put hands-on outside of the facility so the cops don't have to.

Let the cops be cops, not psych workers.
Darwin

Dayton, NJ

#15 Jun 23, 2009
They are escaping to go to Wal-Mart because all of the tards that use this facility know that K-MART s.u.c.k.s.
Mount Dora Resident

Eustis, FL

#16 Jun 23, 2009
Excuse me! These individuals are not "retards"...They are just exceptional individuals in need of help.
Sometimes we believe that Lake County is a paradise, but we have several social issues in the area. I really don't know if keep us isolated and out of progress will solve all the problems here.
Wao! I didn't know you guys had 12,000 residents at NDA. Maybe if you reduce the amount of participants, it would be easier for you. Good luck!
Henry

Melbourne, FL

#17 Jun 23, 2009
Mount Dora Resident wrote:
Excuse me! These individuals are not "retards"...They are just exceptional individuals in need of help.
Sometimes we believe that Lake County is a paradise, but we have several social issues in the area. I really don't know if keep us isolated and out of progress will solve all the problems here.
Wao! I didn't know you guys had 12,000 residents at NDA. Maybe if you reduce the amount of participants, it would be easier for you. Good luck!
I'm trying to remember when I ever heard ANYONE say that they thought Lake County was a paradise. I guess it is if you like doublewides and pickups.
Embarrassed Staff

Sarasota, FL

#18 Jun 23, 2009
well.... looking at all these comments...
for someone of you who dont know what National Deaf Academy is...(NDA).. we have very aggressive residents or residents that go psycho.. we call the cops. I feel bad for the cops though.. there are other residents in mount dora who need police assistances and NDA just eats up the police's time. I work there and I hate it. Money talks. I need the money to pay my damn bills and the economy isnt much of help.
I wouldnt call them retards.. just they dont have the common senses. They just have "MY way or nothing" attitude. They want attention. They crave for attentions. Funny they are so bad in NDA but out the real world, most of them are just tad fine. I blame it on therapists for being lazy or spoiling them too much. Programs set up for them, HAHAHA! real world, do we have reward system? Do we have programs to help us stay calm? Basically, they are not preparing these residents for real life but a fanasty lives.
NDA sucks. and guess what? majority of the employees who work there have 2 or more jobs.. oh gee, i wonder why?? NDA will be down down bye bye.
(by the way, we do have target and walmart. TRUST me on this. I lived here for a few years and yes we do have them!)
Embarrassed Staff

Sarasota, FL

#19 Jun 23, 2009
there are no consistence in that place. Rules change everyday. Staffs arent monitoring. Staffs are abusing their positions, taking advantages. Some administration staffs are covering up their mistakes and we pay the price.:-/
We need stronger administration, better supervision of staffs, SAME rules everyday. We need better communication. We need better ways of handling these residents.
Make it short: give NDA a major overhaul (makeover) and get rid of those staffs who dont do their jobs right, those who pull NDA down or covering up mistakes.
WTF

Orlando, FL

#20 Jun 23, 2009
So exactly how much tax money does Mt Dora and Lake county get from this 14 acre establishment ? Anyone know ? My guess is over 300K a year. So what are they asking in return ? Just do your job city cops, you charge enough in taxes. The NDA will work with you, what's the matter the children too tough for you ? I've been in there with the kids plenty. None of em tried to give me any crap, nor anyone else while I was visiting for 2 hours at a time. They are just kids in a lot of trouble. If you had to deal with life from their limited abilities, you'd certainly cut them every break you could. Buck up and work it out City Cops, Quit Whining !
Interesting

AOL

#21 Jun 24, 2009
The way I look at it, it takes two to tangle. NDA has been there since 2002. If you pull up the graph on when the calls started increasing, it would prolly be its worst around 2008/2009. Considering that the place has went thru now 3 CEOs since its opening says something as well. An employee is only as good as its employer. From 2002 to prolly around 2006, the cops were BARELY getting called out there. There was a hands on policy. Then they tried to avoid paperwork by not having any more holds since they sold the company to a franchise. Been downhill since. Id like to know what the agreeement was between the City of Mount Dora (which includes the police dept) and the psychiatric hospital whenever they decided to make Mount Dora there home???
Ex-Staff Anon

Ormond Beach, FL

#22 Jun 25, 2009
NDA is a violent place to work. Period. Through the restrictions placed on the current staff by the parent company they are not, in any form, equiped to handle the behaviour that exists.

During my time there I witnessed the police (sometimes upwards to 5 officers) being occupied by on-site issues up to 5 hours. This, for whatever reason you wish to argue, does deplete the resources of the community.

The staff there is exposed to violent and sexually oriented behaviours regularlly and are ill equiped to handle them.

If you want to see this problem, and it is a problem, solved then encourage NDA and the local area to take these threats seriously. As residents of Mount Dora and Lake County you do not want physical and sexual agressors capable of walking out of the complex and into your homes. Encourge NDA, through your voiced protests, to gain the appropriate liscensure to handle the clients they service.

This is a for profit business that is using the tax payer provided law enforcement. That is inappropriate and irresponsible of the business. Thus they, without providing a service directly to the community within which they exist, are providing on site security with paying for it themselves.

I feel you owe Mount Dora police department your warmest thanks for doing a job that isn't theirs.

Now, if only they could wave that speeding ticket they gave me...
David

Melbourne, FL

#23 Jun 26, 2009
Ex-Staff Anon wrote:
NDA is a violent place to work. Period. Through the restrictions placed on the current staff by the parent company they are not, in any form, equiped to handle the behaviour that exists.
During my time there I witnessed the police (sometimes upwards to 5 officers) being occupied by on-site issues up to 5 hours. This, for whatever reason you wish to argue, does deplete the resources of the community.
The staff there is exposed to violent and sexually oriented behaviours regularlly and are ill equiped to handle them.
If you want to see this problem, and it is a problem, solved then encourage NDA and the local area to take these threats seriously. As residents of Mount Dora and Lake County you do not want physical and sexual agressors capable of walking out of the complex and into your homes. Encourge NDA, through your voiced protests, to gain the appropriate liscensure to handle the clients they service.
This is a for profit business that is using the tax payer provided law enforcement. That is inappropriate and irresponsible of the business. Thus they, without providing a service directly to the community within which they exist, are providing on site security with paying for it themselves.
I feel you owe Mount Dora police department your warmest thanks for doing a job that isn't theirs.
Now, if only they could wave that speeding ticket they gave me...
Has any staff member thought of using a cell to take some videos? Are there any surveillance cameras that could document the behaviors?
staffs secret

AOL

#24 Jun 26, 2009
Ex-Staff Anon wrote:
NDA is a violent place to work. Period. Through the restrictions placed on the current staff by the parent company they are not, in any form, equiped to handle the behaviour that exists.
During my time there I witnessed the police (sometimes upwards to 5 officers) being occupied by on-site issues up to 5 hours. This, for whatever reason you wish to argue, does deplete the resources of the community.
The staff there is exposed to violent and sexually oriented behaviours regularlly and are ill equiped to handle them.
If you want to see this problem, and it is a problem, solved then encourage NDA and the local area to take these threats seriously. As residents of Mount Dora and Lake County you do not want physical and sexual agressors capable of walking out of the complex and into your homes. Encourge NDA, through your voiced protests, to gain the appropriate liscensure to handle the clients they service.
This is a for profit business that is using the tax payer provided law enforcement. That is inappropriate and irresponsible of the business. Thus they, without providing a service directly to the community within which they exist, are providing on site security with paying for it themselves.
I feel you owe Mount Dora police department your warmest thanks for doing a job that isn't theirs.
Now, if only they could wave that speeding ticket they gave me...
Nice bribe you try! You sound like angry staff that does not work there anymore. Did you get fired?!

Staffs there have good hearts but cannot talk to one administrator since they don't know any sign language.Even personal director does not know sign. They don't care about the deaf staffs and just want the money from specialty. It is against law to film activity there.Staffs are afraid to say anything since economy problems and no jobs.
It gets worse and worse since psi came.staffs have nowhere to talk to. sex problems are not issue but violent yes. many staffs get hurt.acha come yesterday but staffs are afraid to talk since psi bosses watch our talk with interpreter.maybe this will help psi to open eyes and ears ha ha.
arch

Mount Dora, FL

#25 Jun 28, 2009
I live behind the deaf academy with my 2 children many times over the years their run awAy patients ended up in my yard. I'm really upset to know they have sex offenders living in that facility
Previous NDA Employee

Whitesburg, GA

#26 Jun 28, 2009
This has got to be the worse place I have ever worked in my life. They really have no business caring for any residents especially children! Their corporate office was notified several times of their unethical behavior and they chose to ignore it.... more than a year later they get a new CEO hired? Look right under the CEO, that's where the problem is. Some staff there, and they know who it is, are just there to skim money (look at whose running the nursing dept). NDA needs a total renovation when it comes to administration, not just the CEO. They should also move the Autistic residents out, they don't need to be a part of the violence there as their environment needs to be less stimulating, and more structured.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min No Surprize 1,100,455
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 24 min Liz Spector 486,601
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 2 hr The Real Missy 17,632
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 hr gcaveman1 46,326
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 6 hr Murph 70,457
Privilege Waived - Part II . . . Remember Me? 7 hr Lon Spector 30
What life is like for Casey Anthony 7 hr Lon Spector 193
•••
•••
•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••