gizmo

Bakersville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2012

Who has highland fiber,how is the service,speed and uptime. Any help would sure be appreciated. Thank you all :)
scott county

Oneida, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2012

gizmo wrote:
Who has highland fiber,how is the service,speed and uptime. Any help would sure be appreciated. Thank you all :)

I know people that has it and it is really nice and the internet seems alot faster than the standard cable dsl that highland use to use and the tv cable does not go out like it did when ever it storms.
James

Huntsville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2012

Can you just get fiber optic Internet and not cable tv? To install the fiber optic will they need to come inside the house for anything? I am a truck driver and I'm not home much so I would need to have someone here for them.
gizmo

Bakersville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2012

Judged:

My original question was about fiber based net and where you are based at,we could care less about T.V thank you all very much..
scott county

Oneida, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2012

James wrote:
Can you just get fiber optic Internet and not cable tv? To install the fiber optic will they need to come inside the house for anything? I am a truck driver and I'm not home much so I would need to have someone here for them.
you can just get the internet if you want and not the tv
gizmo

Bakersville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2012

Judged:

scott county wrote:
<quoted text>
you can just get the internet if you want and not the tv
I thank you very much. I'm sure the other poster does too.
scott county

Oneida, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2012

James wrote:

they will need to come in to set the computer up to the network but it don't take long at all and it is alot faster than the old standard dsl service here in the county .
Anonymous

Oneida, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2012

scott county wrote:
<quoted text>
they will need to come in to set the computer up to the network but it don't take long at all and it is alot faster than the old standard dsl service here in the county .
How much more expensive is it?
jimmy james

Oneida, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2012

The fiber speed is capped at the same speeds as copper DSL. So you're not going to see a huge difference. Maybe a tiny amount because you it'll be digital but unless you have line problems before you'll see less than a 5% difference in speed. When they are done with ALL the fiber upgrades they'll move the speed caps up higher and it'll be a HUGE difference (1.5mbit/sec to 20mbit/sec) but that's in like 2014 or something.
Thanks 2

Oneida, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2012

You also have to have a land line to receive internet or TV. TV is better than Comcast, but the Internet sucks, you don't get the speed your are paying for half the time. You can call them and complain and in about 10 minutes it will be working correctly then some tech calls and what to come in your house and the last time I let them in my house they tracked mud from one end to the other for me to clean up. It is always your problem not theirs.
gizmo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2012

jimmy james wrote:
The fiber speed is capped at the same speeds as copper DSL. So you're not going to see a huge difference. Maybe a tiny amount because you it'll be digital but unless you have line problems before you'll see less than a 5% difference in speed. When they are done with ALL the fiber upgrades they'll move the speed caps up higher and it'll be a HUGE difference (1.5mbit/sec to 20mbit/sec) but that's in like 2014 or something.
Thank you very much,that sounds like the way things are done @ HTC SO TYPICAL..
curious

Sunbright, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2012

Judged:

I have the dsl..and it seems to be getting slower and slower. When are we going to get the fiber optic I have heard McCreary Co got it and Morgan County???? I guess Scott County will be the last on their list...as usual...shame they are using government grant money to pay for it and probally only putting it where board members live first. Same old Scott County bs.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

59 Users are viewing the Oneida Forum right now

Search the Oneida Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 1 hr WTH 9,248
Citizens gas election 1 hr vote 22
jds 1 hr just a thought 13
Places for rent? 1 hr hmmm 6
Greg is SINGLE 1 hr a friend 1
Scott county juvenile center 1 hr hmmm 15
scott county food court 2 hr well 5
Coffey foreclosure 2 hr ohhh my 6
out-going mayor 9 hr Porta-Potty-Mouth 64