Olean police officer in crash charged with DWI

Jun 25, 2008 Full story: Buffalo News 16

A city police officer was charged with driving while intoxicated following a crash Friday night on North Union Street.

Full Story
Claire Voyance

Jackson, MI

#1 Jun 30, 2008
No way he is allowed to keep his job. He got lucky the first time and was able to get a deal for a lesser charge. His record may show a lesser charge but the public knows that and won't forget. Unfortunately this guy probably has enough service time to retire and keep his pension.
Rick

Lancaster, NY

#2 Aug 25, 2009
Olean PD are lazy, corrupt, fools that don't do their job.
Olean resident

United States

#3 Aug 31, 2009
It's true that there are many officers that are 'friends & family' of politicians, city administrators, wealthy upper crust, etc...But that's not just Olean, it's usually the way it is. Not all officers fall into this category, there are some from local humble families that are not politically connected, and now they are all well trained. With that being said, most are just doing their job, which goes from mundane to adrenaline rush with a call on the radio. Yes, there is a lot of chasing kids, breaking up neighborhood arguments and collaring drunks...but we also see the signs of influx of drugs on our streets. Be assured that our police see this too. A lot of drug dealers seem to think that police are stupid and don't notice,(and they also know what they can get away with, that's hard to prove)...Sooner or later they will slip up and will be off the streets,(at least for a while). Meanwhile, as citizens, we can help by being observant and reporting suspicious activity in our neighborhoods...
Rick

Lancaster, NY

#4 Aug 31, 2009
Its sounds to me like your a cop or family member of a cop. And this so called "Training", put it to use. Patrol the bad neighborhoods more and the rich one less. They you might see a difference. But still a cop should not drink and drive and be able to keep his job. He violated the law and the Oath he took as a "Law Enforcement Officer".
Olean resident

United States

#5 Aug 31, 2009
Nope, not a cop nor family member...and I even got a DWI from OPD...
Claire Voyance

Jackson, MI

#6 Sep 1, 2009
Rick, do the cops get paid 24 hours a day? No! Then they should be treated as an ordinary citizen during their OFF time.

For somebody claims the cops are corrupt and can ignore murders, then why didn't this get swept under the rug? If the cops were corupt, they could have made a "mistake" during the investigation that would allow their fellow officer to walk on a technicality. Instead, the officers followed the law and didn't sweep this under the rug.

Do you even know if an off-duty DUI charge is a fireable offense given the structure of the police union and contracts?

You should send me a check for giving you an education on how the real world works.

While I agree that patrolling the bad neighborhoods makes sense, you will just drive the criminals to other parts of town. Instead of having a small concentrated area of illegal activity, it will then become widespread. I'm sure the honest citizens would be thrilled with the outcome that due to police presence in the bad neighborhoods that the criminals have moved into their neighborhoods so they can do what they want under less scrutiny.
Olean resident

Buffalo, NY

#7 Sep 2, 2009
...just to clarify my position, on my above comments recognizing the duties of local police, I in know way mean to imply that it's ok for them to be treated differently for infractions or crimes.
And certainly in this case, this was apparently not the first incident for the individual. And not only should he lose his job, he should also do the time,(like many ordinary citizens, who lose their job with a DWI)
eddie

Utica, NY

#8 Sep 2, 2009
Rick wrote:
Olean PD are lazy, corrupt, fools that don't do their job.
It's been this way for years. There are some good cops in Olean, but not enough. Alot of them are head strong and think they can do what ever they like. It was much better years ago when they walked the beat, and check out doors and allys.
Claire Voyance

Jackson, MI

#9 Sep 2, 2009
Olean Resident,

His first incident was reduced to a lesser charge, which happens frequently, but not all the time. There is no mandate that states you automatically lose your job if you get a DUI. That decision is left up to the employer, not the legal system.

In this case, since it was already known that he had a prior incident, he wasn't going to be lucky again and get a reduced charge.
Claire Voyance

Jackson, MI

#10 Sep 2, 2009
Eddie,

I completely agree. It's not just Olean, it's police forces all over the country. Walking the beat allows you to interact with the community more. Although it does reduce man power to patrol a greater area and with the cities financial situation, they certainly can't hire more cops to maintain adequate city wide coverage in cars while others walk the beat. I would like to see walking the beat at least on a limited basis and make it random. I think the public would welcome such a sight.
Karlo

Buffalo, NY

#11 Sep 3, 2009
From the archives...in past years, when OPD had 'beat walkers'...when some individuals found an 'open door', they would call their buddy to bring the station wagon and get a load out the back door...they were finally caught through a 'sting', where a certain amount of cash was left in the drawer...and when the officer called it in, the cash was already 'gone'...now-a-days they have the 'neighborhood walk' program, where on nice days, they park the patrol car and walk a few blocks...
gingersnap

Olean, NY

#13 Mar 26, 2012
OPD SUCKS
Co-Conspirator

AOL

#14 Jun 3, 2012
Sorry to bring up a blog from the dead. I was just googling to see how much corruption was in the Olean, PD. I was traveling through that city the other night and was the only car on the road with the exception of a local cop about 200ft in front of me. Suddenly, I saw him bolt through the red light making a left turn then a sudden right turn, behind some businesses, actually kicking up a dust cloud. When I looked to the left to see what was going on, he was sitting between two buildings facing my street with his lights out. After I was 50ft down the road he pulled out and began trailing me for about three miles!!! I rode at five miles under the speed limit and straight as an arrow till he finally turned around. Luckily, I had my dash cam running in case he was going to try the "I saw you weaving" game. I swear I will never patronize another Olean business until I'm convinced that you people have cleaned up your jackboot gestapo problem.
Just reading

Gaithersburg, MD

#15 Jun 7, 2012
What does patronizing a local business have to do with this matter? They are better off not receiving the $2.00 you could spare.
OleanGurl

Olean, NY

#16 Jun 7, 2012
Let it go - this is such old news!!!!!!
Gimme The Bottle

Buffalo, NY

#17 Jun 8, 2012
Get Down Wit OPD yeah baby you know me, Get down wit OPD yeah baby you know me.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Olean Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Olean Fire Dept. (Oct '12) 10 hr himself 24
Local drug dealers (Nov '12) 17 hr private 66
tammie decker Sun obala 1
Fishy! Sat Doubtful 25
McFall DOES do it all Oct 16 udumazz 22
M&T altering Olean presence Oct 13 himself 3
ski resort double murder-1978 (Nov '08) Oct 11 fauxpaul 7,330
Olean Dating
Find my Match

Olean Jobs