Christ Church case heard in Georgia Supreme Court

May 10, 2011 | Posted by: Selecia Jones- JAX FL | Full story: savannahnow.com

Steve Bisson/Savannah Morning News Christ Church on Johnson Square was formed in 1733.

Comments
1 - 20 of 70 Comments Last updated May 18, 2011
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
May 10, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

As a former member of the church, I hope that they don't let the thieves take it like Sherman took Georgia.
Stan Denfiet

Savannah, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
May 12, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Follow the money? Great idea, especially when one considers that the only "coin" the break-away congregation has is that historic building. They think that holding on to it gives them an authenic connection to the church's long and storied past. It does not; no more than if the building were empty and a Baptist congregation moved in. The building's history is its own and cannot be co-opted by people who have broken with its centuries-old continuity; a continuity that belongs exclusively to the Episcopal Church, as it has since the 18th Century. Coming under the oversight of the Bishop of Uganda is a clear breach of that continuity. Leaving the Church of England after the Revolution made perfect sense for Christ Church. Leaving the Episcopal Church to join some Ugandan-based body clearly illustrates that the history they so dearly cling to through that building is something they forfeited when they left the Episcopal Church. Whether the break-away congregation even has a future without that building is questionable. It's all they have going for them. Without it, where will they get "the money?"

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
May 12, 2011
 
Thanks for your comments Stan.

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
May 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Stan Denfiet wrote:
Leaving the Church of England after the Revolution made perfect sense for Christ Church ...
... but contradicts everything you posted about continuity as the church first was founded by Anglicans, and last I looked, Uganda is a member of the Anglican Communion.

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
May 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
... but contradicts everything you posted about continuity as the church first was founded by Anglicans, and last I looked, Uganda is a member of the Anglican Communion.
You have trouble understanding who is the ENEMY....in 1776, ENGLAND was...in 2011 Uganda is.
Think Again

Four Oaks, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
May 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
<quoted text>You have trouble understanding who is the ENEMY....in 1776, ENGLAND was...in 2011 Uganda is.
To the faithful Christians in Savannah, TEC is the enemy.

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
May 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Think Again wrote:
<quoted text>
To the faithful Christians in Savannah, TEC is the enemy.
You truly believe that Christ Church in SAVANNAH, GEORGIA should ALIGN with Uganda? They KILL people for being homosexual. They actually STONE them to death. This is serious business.

You advocate killing someone for property. Exactly where in the Bible is that condoned?
Think Again

Four Oaks, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
May 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
<quoted text>You truly believe that Christ Church in SAVANNAH, GEORGIA should ALIGN with Uganda? They KILL people for being homosexual. They actually STONE them to death. This is serious business.
You advocate killing someone for property. Exactly where in the Bible is that condoned?
Does the Ugandan Anglican Church advocate what you claim above or is it the Ugandan Government? Please show me articles.

Your church advocates for the murder of the unborn. Do you speak out against this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/katine/2009/dec/04/...

Ugandan church leader brands anti-gay bill 'genocide'
Prominent member of the Ugandan Anglican church, Canon Gideon Byamugisha, joins international condemnation of the anti-homosexuality bill, saying it will breed violence and intolerance

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
May 13, 2011
 
Think Again wrote:
<quoted text>
Does the Ugandan Anglican Church advocate what you claim above or is it the Ugandan Government? Please show me articles.
Your church advocates for the murder of the unborn. Do you speak out against this?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/katine/2009/dec/04/...
Ugandan church leader brands anti-gay bill 'genocide'
Prominent member of the Ugandan Anglican church, Canon Gideon Byamugisha, joins international condemnation of the anti-homosexuality bill, saying it will breed violence and intolerance
Aww, here comes our one trick pony who believes discrimination should come in all colors, shapes and sizes.

LOL.....
Think Again

Four Oaks, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
May 13, 2011
 
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Aww, here comes our one trick pony who believes discrimination should come in all colors, shapes and sizes.
LOL.....
Can't address the fact that Sel's statement was false. The Ugandan Anglican Church Doesn't do what she said.

Everyone sees through your personal attacks. You use them when the real topic can't be discussed.

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
May 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Think Again wrote:
<quoted text>
Does the Ugandan Anglican Church advocate what you claim above or is it the Ugandan Government? Please show me articles.
Your church advocates for the murder of the unborn. Do you speak out against this?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/katine/2009/dec/04/...
Ugandan church leader brands anti-gay bill 'genocide'
Prominent member of the Ugandan Anglican church, Canon Gideon Byamugisha, joins international condemnation of the anti-homosexuality bill, saying it will breed violence and intolerance
REALLY? Where is that policy printed? Surely to claim such, you would have that it your fingertips.
Think Again

Four Oaks, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
May 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
<quoted text>REALLY? Where is that policy printed? Surely to claim such, you would have that it your fingertips.
You made the claim it is up to you to prove it. I posted an article from the Guardian that refutes your insinuation that the Anglican Church of Uganda supports what you inferred.

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
May 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Think Again wrote:
<quoted text>
You made the claim it is up to you to prove it. I posted an article from the Guardian that refutes your insinuation that the Anglican Church of Uganda supports what you inferred.
Where is the WRITTEN policy for the EPISCOPAL Church that promotes abortion?

How about this...none of my business what another family decides in their personal familes and medical experiences...
Think Again

Four Oaks, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
May 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
<quoted text>Where is the WRITTEN policy for the EPISCOPAL Church that promotes abortion?
Your church by executive council mandate joined the Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice which supports any and all abortions. Google it! It is widely known.
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
<quoted text>
How about this...none of my business what another family decides in their personal familes and medical experiences...
Using the same logic you use above; what right do you have to interfere in the sovereign country of Uganda on how they handle the issue of homosexuality? Using YOUR logic, it is none of your business as you state above concerning the issue of abortion.

“Ecce! Sic transit gloria mundi”

Since: Oct 10

I See New Jerusalem From Here.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
May 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
... but contradicts everything you posted about continuity as the church first was founded by Anglicans, and last I looked, Uganda is a member of the Anglican Communion.
Uganda is one of the major centers of the Merry Pirates of the Global South attempting to rob TEC of assets with ‘orthodox’ Anglican allies in North America. The 'Anglican Communion' is a voluntary association of free churches that has a limited life expectancy at this point in time. No ‘Communion’ has power over TEC. The General Convention alone rules us.

Thanks be to the Mystery of the Triune God!

“Ecce! Sic transit gloria mundi”

Since: Oct 10

I See New Jerusalem From Here.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
May 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

An example of what Uganda is like:

Idi Amin Dada’s rule was characterised by human rights abuses, political repression, ethnic persecution, extrajudicial killings, nepotism, corruption and gross economic mismanagement. The number of people killed as a result of his regime is estimated by international observers and human rights groups to range from 100,000 to 500,000. Notable backers of Amin included Muammar al-Gaddafi’s Libya, the Soviet Union and East Germany, with early support for his regime coming from the United Kingdom, Israel, and Apartheid-era South Africa.

http://www.newsaboutafrica.com/archives/158

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
May 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Think Again wrote:
<quoted text>
Your church advocates for the murder of the unborn.
No. It does not. Your statement is a bald-faced lie.

I am ashamed for you for continually posting this misleading and despicable statement.

The Episcopal Church does not advocate for the murder of anyone.

Period.

Rev. Ken
Think Again

Four Oaks, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
May 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
No. It does not. Your statement is a bald-faced lie.
I am ashamed for you for continually posting this misleading and despicable statement.
The Episcopal Church does not advocate for the murder of anyone.
Period.
Rev. Ken
What do you think abortion is? Your church has joined the lobbying efforts of the RCRC and has put its stamp of approval on this groups actions.

This group is an advocacy group for abortions which your church supports. Therefore your church advocates for the murder of the unborn.

No amount of spin will absolve you of your responsibility in this genocide.

Period!

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
May 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Think Again wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you think abortion is? Your church has joined the lobbying efforts of the RCRC and has put its stamp of approval on this groups actions.
This group is an advocacy group for abortions which your church supports. Therefore your church advocates for the murder of the unborn.
No amount of spin will absolve you of your responsibility in this genocide.
Period!
No. Your spin and lies are an attempt to cast the responsibility of the choice and decision to undergo an abortion on someone other than the individual who must, ultimately, make that decision.

This you cannot do.

Furthermore, you make reference to unmarried women making such a decision. What about married women who make this decision? Are their husbands involved and also partly responsible? How would you know? Plus, you assume that such a decision is made in total selfishness and cannot ever occur or be made in consideration of the future and health of the existing family. You assume that such decisions are always a black and white determination.

But, they never are.

You are an ignorant and backward fool who has not learned how to allow other people to make decisions for themselves.

I am sorry for you.

But, I do not allow your ignorance to place any onus upon me, anymore that I am responsible for the decisions Barak Obama makes each day just because I am an American citizen and he is our President.

Rev. Ken
Think Again

Four Oaks, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
May 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Your spin and lies are an attempt to cast the responsibility of the choice and decision to undergo an abortion on someone other than the individual who must, ultimately, make that decision.
This you cannot do.
Furthermore, you make reference to unmarried women making such a decision. What about married women who make this decision? Are their husbands involved and also partly responsible? How would you know? Plus, you assume that such a decision is made in total selfishness and cannot ever occur or be made in consideration of the future and health of the existing family. You assume that such decisions are always a black and white determination.
But, they never are.
You are an ignorant and backward fool who has not learned how to allow other people to make decisions for themselves.
I am sorry for you.
But, I do not allow your ignorance to place any onus upon me, anymore that I am responsible for the decisions Barak Obama makes each day just because I am an American citizen and he is our President.
Rev. Ken
Again, your church is involved with the RCRC which is an advocacy group for abortions. You support TEC with your offerings which in turn support this organization. You have a choice in this matter and you choice to support abortions as a choice rather than what it really is murder.

You can call me ignorant and that is fine because coming from a failed priest it is actually a compliment. Yes, a failed priest who condones murder of the unborn.

At least I will not have to answer to Jesus for supporting murder of the unborn. Unfortunately you will!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Oglethorpe Discussions

Search the Oglethorpe Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 21 min Cbutt 49,840
Dr Sina Dadfarmay of Savannah 23 min Serious 1
Black Racist Walmart Employees Unpunished after... (Jul '13) Sun ilearnfromblackracist 32
Brooks County body identified Jul 26 posteraro 1
Looking for missing uncle. Jul 23 Adams 1
Presiding Bishop speaks at Christ Church Jul 21 Listen to the Word 1
Review: Abbott, Greg DDS - Greg Abbott DDS (Jul '10) Jul 21 anon 10
•••
•••
•••
•••

Oglethorpe Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Oglethorpe People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Oglethorpe News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Oglethorpe
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••