Joe Head

Ruther Glen, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2011

I went thru Teen Challenge in 1977, I helped run the farm for the next 2 years after that. The stories here are not telling the truth about the mission that has made better people out of so many. There is no brain washing or special diets to make people do things against thier wills. There were set schedules and at the time over 18 vocational trades taught to those that wanted a better place in life.The belief that Jesus could provide a better way has been a proven fact in many lives that used the tools taught to make changes in a positive manner. Do you have to be a holy roller to accomplish this, No, but you have to have faith that with the help of the Good Man upstairs all things can be accomplished and there is a better way to make life so much more rewarding. I can only tell what things in life have been better for me for the lessons shared with me during my time being involved with Teen Challenge. That was many years ago and from a 17 year old to now at 51, God has blessed me with many things that would have never been a thought. God is good and he can help anyone who has the wants to be a better person in life.
Just starting out

Midland, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2011

Thank you for this responce.
God provided a way for us to pay our son's way, God opened all the right doors to get our son there so I know that is where my son needs to be. After a couple of months, we have already seen a big change in him. Even on the days where he was struggling, he seemed to take it in stride instead of rebelling. God is great and we are blessed that he has covered us in his grace and mercy.
Again, thank you and God bless you and your family.
Blessed wrote:
I just came across these posting about Teen Challenge, I can't believe what I am reading. My husband went thru TC in 2003. He was a drug addict, completely out of control & was not happy about being sent to TC. However, after about 2 weeks, he was able to call me. He called me crying and thanked me for sending him, for not giving up on him & wanted to serve God. He still had a long ways to go but, TC was a gift from GOD!! You need to remember that people that have an addiction are struggling & are scared to live without their addition, they can be very manipulating to the ones they love, because they are scarred of letting go and completely changing what they consider "normal". My husband has been sober since 2003. Our family has been healed, we are serving the Lord. I know that TC is not perfect & at times I did not agree with all the policies that were enforced on the men but, regardless the men in the program learn to put the Lord first, to depend on the Lord, to face what has caused them to want to escape reality by using drugs & alcohol. It takes effort from everyone in the family and for years after TC the person has to be aware of situations he can't put himself in that could possibly cause him to stumble. My husband would not carry money with him, not drive without me or the kids with him. We would go to church every Wednesday and Sunday. If my husband was struggling he would go tell the pastor and ask for prayer. I know this is the hardest thing you have ever gone thru but, keep praying, have faith. Satin doesn't want your son to succeed but, the Lord does and so does all the employees at TC. These people are paid very little if anything, they are there because they love the Lord & truly want to help people with addictions. Support your son & the other guys there that don't have family coming to visit them. These guys are trying to figure out who they are. Also, they are now sober and having to deal with the hurts they have caused the ones they love which is one of the hardest things they have to deal with. This was the best thing that ever happened to our family, we will forever be grateful. Reach out and make friends & support the other families with guys going thru the program, it is so healing for us as well as the guys. I hope this helps shine some light on what the Lord is & has been doing for years at Teen Challenge.
<quoted text>
JustStartingOut BadEnding

Midland, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2011

Well guys..........I guess I have to eat my words.........TC proved to be not such a good place to spend $2500.......at least not for my family.
If you read my previous comments, it was going good,but what happened a month ago, really soured me......let me catch you up.........
My son was admitted in April of this year.
6 weeks ago, my son was on the praise team.
7 weeks ago, he was on discipine for a messy bed and basically kicked off of the praise team and they took away his guitars as punishment. They allowed other clients to "borrow his guitars when ever they wanted, which to me is wrong, you don't take a person's property away and then let someone else use it. Then 4 weeks ago, he was dismissed (or as I call it, "kicked out") for disciplinary reasons, he was "disruptive".
(on a side note, there was a client that was on discipline, just about every week during the time that my son was there, and they never kicked him out. He always had the "orange vest" on which meant that he talks back too much and he is not allowed to talk to anyone and no one was to talk to him)
With my son being on the praise team not more that two weeks before, I asked for documentation on the violations that prompted this dismissal, that was so important to be done on a saturday but not that important for the guys in charge to talk to my son in person, but over the phone. Also, when he arrived home, all of his belongings were put in plastic bags because they lost the suit cases that we had when took him there. Its been 4 weeks later, with 3 emails sent and a phone call placed (in which they assured me that the emails are being read)and they would forward my message. They have yet to reply to me. Makes me beleive that they have nothing to say because they know they are in the wrong......We were told that he could go back in 30 days, but we were never told what to do to make this happen, I asked for this information as well.
But now.... do you think I am going to take him back???????
No way..........
I'm happy for those whom this program actually saved their lives but also sad for the others that had a bad experince with TC and will say that God is great, it's people who get too much control that mess things up. Just keep your trust in God and His word (the bible) and you will be just fine.
been there

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2012

TC sucks...I couldn't deal with their weird religious stuff. Every week people ran away and never came back the dropout rate is higher than any secular rehab I'd been in
Amanda

Midland, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2012

Teen Challenge changes lives and anyone who doesnt know that is still an addict or an enabling parent with a spoiled child like yours. You sound pathetic all of you who left horrible comments. Im praying for you. So sad.
Bonnie

Paige, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2012

Michael Kincheloe wrote:
Here's an email from a mother that I received today:
Dear Michael,
Thank you for your website, It may have saved my son more mental trauma. He was discharged from the program this morning. He decided that it was a brainwashing cult and there is no sobriety for him in that place.
He just got there on Thursday. They a least dumped him off at the airport (with no money) and I am not getting my money back and I hope they choke on it.
I am going to give his public defender this web address. He prefers jail to that place.
Thanks again for putting this information out there. I will do all I can from here to make sure no else from this county at least is "EVER" sent to that so called rehab center.
The problem is obvious here with these complaining parents, the problem is the parents thinking their child can do no wrong, WAKE UP their on drugs, they lie, steal and cheat. Do you think they only lie to others and not you. Quit bailing them out and get them help even if they whine about it, it's called tough love, get you some it's free. I'm on my way with my drug attic, lying, cheating and STEALING son as we speak. I should arrive tomorrow. I have two choices leave him there or keep letting him manipulate everyone and he will not be around much longer. He will either die from drugs, drug deals or go to prison. If you think your son or daughter is not this bad then you need to WAKE UP SISTER.... By the way, the way I found out about this camp is word of mouth from three different people that had success with their child or themselves. Now that is statistics for you..
Desiray

Carrollton, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2012

Listen, i was in teenchallenge for almost 8 months in midland then one day out of the blue found myself on the doorstep in handcuffs, because i was stipulated there by the courts. I had never believed in god before i cam to teen challenge and after 3 months really starting buying into the whole thing, i had had a terrible needle junkie problem since i was 14 years old and litterally was dying when i got there, had been to prison and nothing worked. Then my legal decided that jail no long worked and they sent me there. Anyways i find myself in handcuffs and have no ideah why. Come to find out one of the girs said me and another girl were gay together...NOT TRUE and the funny thing about this is we both got kicked out and they let her back in 3 weeks later. I was sent to jail again and when my gma went to get my stuff they wouldnt let her have it then when she brought the cops over there to get it, half of it was missing all the nice things i had my gma paid for gone, donated(STOLEN) by a bunch of so called christians, and by the way they are not a non profit organization my gma paid 3000$ to get me in there, and you work your ass off ever day, and they get paid for it. Then when you get to re-entry you work where they want you to work and there still getting a precentage of your paycheck and you dont even know it. I have seen them steal peoples things drop them off on the street and not let them use a phone or anything to call there families to come pick them up or anything, i always knew something strange was going on. Well i got another change to go to a different rehab in Fort Worth called cenikor, by far the best thing that ever happened to me, i am now 3 years sober, pay for my own apartment, car, bills and my legal by myself thanks to cenikor. When i got out of cenikor i researched some of the people that iw as there with on facebook came to find out that Shannon Reynolds the womans director that kicked me out that day out of no where, was arrested a few months later for dui then again for having not only crack but perscription drugs in her car while running a redlight. Go Figure.
Tom

West Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2012

Michael Kincheloe wrote:
A former Teen Challenge student unmasks this abusive Christian drug and alcohol program. The site includes Shafter and Riverside pages, and an email address for feedback.
http://www.teenchallengeexposed.com
My son went to Teen Challenge with a drug and alcohol problem and it saved his life.
Michael knows best

Midland, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2012

Yeah, screw teen challenge. You should all keep your little criminals at home. That will work out just fine.
It saved my life

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

It saved My life - Jeff breaux
It saved my life

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

All of the people that say that it's a cult doesnt know the lord - and I'm sorry to say that most are court ordered . I went there on my own and will never b the same . I have since graduated from plant operator school and those that complain r the ones that r most likely cour ordered . If god is a problem let ur sons and daughters stay in jail . I lived there for 10 months . I know!!!!!
It saved my life

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2012

They don't keep u there unless ur court ordered . U can leave at any time ! I had a big problem with this when I was there - with ur sons who really didnt want to b there and made it harder for me , then they bitched to u and said it was crazy- stupid parents make stupid kids , it saved my life , in from Houston tx and sold cocaine and weed . I know what I'm talking about !!! Keep listening to ur Childs bullshit ..... They r lying , I know
dani

Katy, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2012

I got kicked out because they thought I was going to lead a revolt against them. the place is a joke. Jesus and Dave wilkerson are probably both hanging their head in disgrace. everything said against this place is completely factual. don't let the poor brainwashed people change your mind.
karen

Lake In The Hills, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2012

My life in love went to TC in Midland,TX. I am very worried about him. I have read the all you articles. Do you have any information on this facility. I have written to him and have not received a reply. I am afraid he will not be the same person we was when he left 5 weeks ago. Please help!
karen

Lake In The Hills, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2012

Can you email me at windycitytechie@gmmail.com? I am hoping you can give me some information about a person currently in the program. Thank you!
karen

Lake In The Hills, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2012

This request is to Dani. Please email me windycitytechie@gmail.com
Sue

Mckinney, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2012

Hard to believe some of the negative things I'm reading here. We spent $40,000 on many different secular re-habs including a wilderness program to help our son get off heroin. None of them worked for him. Finally, in desperation we sent him to Teen Challenge in Midland - he stayed a year and a half of his own free will and said it was the only program that really helped him. After he graduated he continued to live in Midland and has stayed clean and sober.
Toby Maghan

Duluth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

I had gone to visit my Son for the 3rd time on 12/15/2012 and was told I would not be allowed to visit because "I was not on his visiting list". My Son was then told that I was asked to leave because they (the staff at Teen Challenge thought he did not want to see me), and we are now being told that I was not allowed to visit on the 15th because during our visit on the week previous (I was drunk). So ask myself well my God which is it? And if they believed me to be intoxicated (which I was certianly not) why did they not confront me at that time v/s waiting an entire week and then coming up with a total of three different stories thus far. I was on the list, my Son most definitely wants to see me, and again I was not drunk and had I been asked about it at the time I would have had no problem with giving them a breathalizer or whatever other kind of drug test they so desired. And what an example to be setting for those there. Its somehow okay for them to lie and just try and x me out his life at a time when he is needing me most. I can't help but feel this is because of a life I have previously lived and that I do not subscribe to their way of life. If anyone knows of any resourses that maybe able to help me restore this visitation it would be greatly appreciated. My Son is only three weeks clean and needs more time off the street, but all of this has brought our descision to bring him there into question. I then found this website to look a little deeper into Teen Challenge and it seems to me those people are filled with more hate than love unless your agenda is alligned with theres. Please help we are in MN where I know there are better programs than this, but given my Sons legal difficulties it may be to late for all of that. Much thanks and respect, Toby
L and H

Odessa, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

been there wrote:
TC sucks...I couldn't deal with their weird religious stuff. Every week people ran away and never came back the dropout rate is higher than any secular rehab I'd been in
Uh huh. Then maybe you can explain why it has an 85% success rate compared to secular rehabs' less than 10%? I don't think so. I do know that I was told by one of the TC counselors that more people quit the program over having to give up cigarettes than quit over having to give up drugs. THAT is a fact. And cigarettes may be worse for you in the long run. They have soooo many poisons, and all of them chosen BECAUSE they're addictive. From the pharmacy studies I did, I seem to remember the number of poisons were either 17 or 27--then.
And who knows what they've added since? Anyway, we've sent kids there who didn't have a dollar to their names, and they were taken in, and all did better after than before they went in.
And you know what *I* think is weird? People who talk about being in and out of rehabs like they were candy stores calling anyone or anything else "weird". Just sayin'.*G*
L and H

Odessa, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Toby Maghan wrote:
I had gone to visit my Son for the 3rd time on 12/15/2012 and was told I would not be allowed to visit because "I was not on his visiting list". My Son was then told that I was asked to leave because they (the staff at Teen Challenge thought he did not want to see me), and we are now being told that I was not allowed to visit on the 15th because during our visit on the week previous (I was drunk). So ask myself well my God which is it? And if they believed me to be intoxicated (which I was certianly not) why did they not confront me at that time v/s waiting an entire week and then coming up with a total of three different stories thus far. I was on the list, my Son most definitely wants to see me, and again I was not drunk and had I been asked about it at the time I would have had no problem with giving them a breathalizer or whatever other kind of drug test they so desired. And what an example to be setting for those there. Its somehow okay for them to lie and just try and x me out his life at a time when he is needing me most. I can't help but feel this is because of a life I have previously lived and that I do not subscribe to their way of life. If anyone knows of any resourses that maybe able to help me restore this visitation it would be greatly appreciated. My Son is only three weeks clean and needs more time off the street, but all of this has brought our descision to bring him there into question. I then found this website to look a little deeper into Teen Challenge and it seems to me those people are filled with more hate than love unless your agenda is alligned with theres. Please help we are in MN where I know there are better programs than this, but given my Sons legal difficulties it may be to late for all of that. Much thanks and respect, Toby
How do you know they hadn't just confused you with some other parent? I'm sure they have more than one kid there, and more than one parent coming in to see kids. Why would you just assume they were against YOU, or worse, lying? Why would it take 3 visits for them to react to your past life? They may just be reacting to stuff your kid told them and won't admit to you. Kids DO lie. Part of rehab is being careful of users' past contacts-including family. If you want your kid helped, you should be ok with that.

In case it really WAS a case of mistaken identity or they were wrong in thinking you were drunk, ask to talk to someone on staff and ask who said you were drunk, and why. Also, if you can provide some outside corroboration that you came in sober that would be acceptable to them, that might help. If you really WERE drunk or high--which I think could be possible, given your admitted past and your reaction to them wanting to protect your kid, then you'll just have to suck it up and stay sober and ask them what you need to do to prove yourself so you can get back in.

The point is, they have these rules for a REASON, and that reason certainly isn't just to spite you--and it's pretty immature to think that it is. Given your assumptions here (which seem based on some pretty strange reasoning to me) I don't think I'd have let you see your kid either. You need to prove you can be mature enough to be a help to him, rather than a hindrance. And blaming people or assuming they're against you with no basis is the pattern of a drug abuser, not a healthy person.
Sorry if this hurts, but this is how folks in charge of helping people out of these lifestyle patterns see it, and they have MORE than good reasons why. A step in your favor would be to deal with this maturely and just suck it up and do what you need to in order to prove you're responsible and a good influence--or at least not a totally demoralizing one. You want help? The best help is to tell you to take responsibility for your actions. Then you can be what you need to be for your kid. Only you can determine if you care enough about him to do that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 80 of90
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Odessa Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Odessa Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Odessa People Search