First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Here

Saint Petersburg, FL

#2 May 29, 2012
So far I loved it. I like how they are extending the story to include the back story and the grey area of the feud.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#3 May 29, 2012
___MrsMurphy___ wrote:
What do you think so far. Part one aired last night, did anyone care for it? It's on the History channel.
I thought it was GREAT.. It pretty much follows what I have read concerning the subject over the years. Kostner is doing a great job!

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#4 May 29, 2012
We recorded it to watch before the 2nd part tonight. My fiancée talked me into watching. I have to admit, I'm interested. It just all seems so sad, though.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#5 May 29, 2012
I liked it a lot too...I love Kevin Costner as Devil Anse....he seems a much better person than Randall McCoy.....oh, of course, the Hatfields are West Virginians. Just kidding. I thought the story line of Rosanne and Johnse was kind of strange but who knows, maybe it happened like that. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#6 May 29, 2012
Lesson Learned wrote:
I liked it a lot too...I love Kevin Costner as Devil Anse....he seems a much better person than Randall McCoy.....oh, of course, the Hatfields are West Virginians. Just kidding. I thought the story line of Rosanne and Johnse was kind of strange but who knows, maybe it happened like that. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Spoiler alert:) Seems as though they brought the Rosanne and Johnse in a little early as far as the show is concerned , but Johnse doesn't marry her if I remember correctly, he marries her cousin...Tragic.
my2cents

Princeton, WV

#7 May 29, 2012
It SUX that costner filmed it in Romania!

“Loyalty Amongst Friends”

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#8 May 29, 2012
Shootist wrote:
<quoted text>
Spoiler alert:) Seems as though they brought the Rosanne and Johnse in a little early as far as the show is concerned , but Johnse doesn't marry her if I remember correctly, he marries her cousin...Tragic.
I had to google it...LOL and the baby she has dies and then she dies at 29 from a broken heart???

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#9 May 29, 2012
Shootist wrote:
<quoted text>
Spoiler alert:) Seems as though they brought the Rosanne and Johnse in a little early as far as the show is concerned , but Johnse doesn't marry her if I remember correctly, he marries her cousin...Tragic.
No problem, I've seen the play several times. One year they had dancers wearing tutus...that may have been Honey in the Rock...still foreign wear for WV at that time.
retard

Bellevue, WA

#10 May 29, 2012
___MrsMurphy___ wrote:
What do you think so far. Part one aired last night, did anyone care for it? It's on the History channel.
Don't really care for it. poor acting n slow tempo. Our accent is unique and they don't have it.

Level 4

Since: May 08

How can I pick just one

#11 May 29, 2012
would love to have seen it.. sounds really interesting..

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#12 May 29, 2012
I think "retard" may be like one of my young nephew's friends who said on FB, they should have had some vampires in it....LOL

I like it a lot. It's one of the few, maybe only movie I have seen about WV that doesn't make us look like a bunch of inbred hillbillies. Of course there's a few more hours to go so they get around to that yet.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#13 May 29, 2012
retard wrote:
<quoted text>Don't really care for it. poor acting n slow tempo. Our accent is unique and they don't have it.
So far, I like it. And I'm not a huge history buff. Some of the characters have our accent down better than others. Next time you're out and about, pay close attention. WV actually has several variations of our southern accent.
Shogun

Beckley, WV

#14 May 29, 2012
Shootist wrote:
<quoted text>I thought it was GREAT.. It pretty much follows what I have read concerning the subject over the years. Kostner is doing a great job!
I agree. Though the scenery (Romania) is not quite similar, the acting and even the script are good. I had expected more cliches about mountain people but I am pleasantly surprised that aspect has not been overdone. Good show.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#15 May 30, 2012
OMG!! I am in LOVE with it! I can't wait to see the end. It was soooo good. Sad, but good. Does anyone know if any of their relatives still hold a grudge today?(I hope not) Does anyone know of any WV authors that wrote accurately about this? I'd rather read from a WV author before someone else. Thanks!

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#16 May 30, 2012
Jypsy Facloneri wrote:
<quoted text>
I had to google it...LOL and the baby she has dies and then she dies at 29 from a broken heart???
She definitely is one of the most pitiful victims of the feud....You don't need a gun or knife to destroy someone.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#17 May 30, 2012
Lesson Learned wrote:
<quoted text>
No problem, I've seen the play several times. One year they had dancers wearing tutus...that may have been Honey in the Rock...still foreign wear for WV at that time.
LOL..tutus?

Foreign wear for that time?...Foreign wear for THIS time:)

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#18 May 30, 2012
StargardtEyes wrote:
OMG!! I am in LOVE with it! I can't wait to see the end. It was soooo good. Sad, but good. Does anyone know if any of their relatives still hold a grudge today?(I hope not) Does anyone know of any WV authors that wrote accurately about this? I'd rather read from a WV author before someone else. Thanks!
The History Channel sometimes has interviews concerning the feud....Devil Anse's great (?) grandson has talked about the feud before..Basically, he said even though the McCoys got the worst end of it, the Hatfields WON nothing...Neither side did of course....As for animosity NOW between the families, I don't think so....Maybe someone else can say difinitively.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#19 May 30, 2012
Shogun wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. Though the scenery (Romania) is not quite similar, the acting and even the script are good. I had expected more cliches about mountain people but I am pleasantly surprised that aspect has not been overdone. Good show.
I did "google" the Romania thing:)

Cheaper to do there believe it or not, PLUS the mountains are clear of logging roads, etc. and the biggie...They used the buildings, houses etc. from the movie "Cold Mountain." which naturally were already there.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#20 May 30, 2012
Shootist wrote:
<quoted text>The History Channel sometimes has interviews concerning the feud....Devil Anse's great (?) grandson has talked about the feud before..Basically, he said even though the McCoys got the worst end of it, the Hatfields WON nothing...Neither side did of course....As for animosity NOW between the families, I don't think so....Maybe someone else can say difinitively.
Thanks for replying. It's very sad. If they'd just left a few people alone and just gave them the pig, maybe it could have been avoided. Lots of blood shed for such things.
OCB

AOL

#21 May 30, 2012
There used to be a large table covered with glass with pictures of the descendants of the Hatfields in the store down at Los Godfreys at the intersection of 52 going towards Gilbert and Iager. I wonder if it still exists?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Mar '10) 10 hr Theo 8,405
Word game (Jun '12) 14 hr Roxie Darling 730
Drop a word, Add a word (Dec '10) Wed honeymylove 2,201
Word Association... (Jun '12) Wed Theo 1,333
Drug addicts should be shown empathy (Sep '13) Dec 22 BLACK ITALY 172
facebook Dec 21 PittyFul 2
Names A-Z (Aug '13) Dec 21 whatimeisit 182
Oceana Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Oceana People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Oceana News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Oceana

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:22 pm PST

NBC Sports12:22PM
Gano eager for another chance vs. Falcons - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 2:15 AM
Should New England Patriots Rest Key Starters in Week 17?
NBC Sports 4:53 AM
Panthers coach and family replaced gifts for break-in victims
NBC Sports 6:16 AM
A.J. Green's injured arm "feeling a little better"
Bleacher Report 9:00 PM
Carolina Panthers vs. Atlanta Falcons: Complete Week 17 Preview for Carolina