Northwood

Norcross, GA

#1 Jul 9, 2012
"The interpretation of the code section that was in place when I took this job was that as long as there was some retail (whatever percentage), wholesale sales were allowed. This was the determination the interim planners were making and signing-off on zoning requirements at that time, based upon their, and I can only presume the then City legal counsel’s, interpretation of the ordinance. Unfortunately, the drafters of our current code section did not provide a definition of “retail” or “wholesale” businesses for clarity on the matter. I did not believe this was the intent of the ordinance, hence, the note regarding 100% retail in order to have wholesale comment on the 2011 application. A smaller percentage of a retail area was not sufficient. Our current legal counsel affirmed that in their opinion anything less than the business being open 100% of the time to the public and selling all merchandise as retail would not constitute a retail business. Since that time, and including the 2012 Moon Lingerie application, we have asked applicants to provide a notarized letter stating that the business will be: 100 % retail, 100% open to the public at all hours that they are open for business; all merchandise to be on display to the public; and all merchandises to marked with retail price tags. No application has been signed-off on since without that letter being provided by the applicant. The same notarized statement has been requested from the applicant for their 2012 occupational tax placard. To date we have not received that statement and neither the building inspector or I have signed off on the application. We also review the site plans to compare the amount of storage area to make sure that it is in line with the retail operation, not a warehousing operation.

An additional recommendation to Council would be to place definitions of “retail” and “wholesale” into Sec. 23-402 to clarify the intent of the ordinance.

I hope this background is of help in understanding some of the change we have been making to address the matter.

Joe

Joseph Cooley JD MCRP RLA

Director of Planning and Development"
Jeff

Lawrenceville, GA

#2 Jul 9, 2012
Northwood wrote:
"The interpretation of the code section that was in place when I took this job was that as long as there was some retail (whatever percentage), wholesale sales were allowed. This was the determination the interim planners were making and signing-off on zoning requirements at that time, based upon their, and I can only presume the then City legal counsel’s, interpretation of the ordinance. Unfortunately, the drafters of our current code section did not provide a definition of “retail” or “wholesale” businesses for clarity on the matter. I did not believe this was the intent of the ordinance, hence, the note regarding 100% retail in order to have wholesale comment on the 2011 application. A smaller percentage of a retail area was not sufficient. Our current legal counsel affirmed that in their opinion anything less than the business being open 100% of the time to the public and selling all merchandise as retail would not constitute a retail business. Since that time, and including the 2012 Moon Lingerie application, we have asked applicants to provide a notarized letter stating that the business will be: 100 % retail, 100% open to the public at all hours that they are open for business; all merchandise to be on display to the public; and all merchandises to marked with retail price tags. No application has been signed-off on since without that letter being provided by the applicant. The same notarized statement has been requested from the applicant for their 2012 occupational tax placard. To date we have not received that statement and neither the building inspector or I have signed off on the application. We also review the site plans to compare the amount of storage area to make sure that it is in line with the retail operation, not a warehousing operation.
An additional recommendation to Council would be to place definitions of “retail” and “wholesale” into Sec. 23-402 to clarify the intent of the ordinance.
I hope this background is of help in understanding some of the change we have been making to address the matter.
Joe
Joseph Cooley JD MCRP RLA
Director of Planning and Development"
CYA and lame excuses. The guy applied as WHOLESALE and was DENIED and then was coached on how to get around the law. Just as Georgia Palace was coached on how to get around the law and then their "spokesperson" basically blew it by ADMITTING on the record in front of several witnesses that they were using "disco" in order to get around our laws. The planner's face said it all, you could tell he knew that they had blown it.Have fun at the panty house. You will probably be able to have your "feet" massaged somewhere in the building after you stroll through and rub panties on your face.
Joe

Lawrenceville, GA

#3 Jul 9, 2012
Stewie and Jimmy love disco Joe. I'm betting Stewie wrote the BS post disguised as "Northwood" though.
Sincerely

Buford, GA

#4 Jul 10, 2012
Northwood wrote:
"The interpretation of the code section that was in place when I took this job was that as long as there was some retail (whatever percentage), wholesale sales were allowed. This was the determination the interim planners were making and signing-off on zoning requirements at that time, based upon their, and I can only presume the then City legal counsel’s, interpretation of the ordinance. Unfortunately, the drafters of our current code section did not provide a definition of “retail” or “wholesale” businesses for clarity on the matter. I did not believe this was the intent of the ordinance, hence, the note regarding 100% retail in order to have wholesale comment on the 2011 application. A smaller percentage of a retail area was not sufficient. Our current legal counsel affirmed that in their opinion anything less than the business being open 100% of the time to the public and selling all merchandise as retail would not constitute a retail business. Since that time, and including the 2012 Moon Lingerie application, we have asked applicants to provide a notarized letter stating that the business will be: 100 % retail, 100% open to the public at all hours that they are open for business; all merchandise to be on display to the public; and all merchandises to marked with retail price tags. No application has been signed-off on since without that letter being provided by the applicant. The same notarized statement has been requested from the applicant for their 2012 occupational tax placard. To date we have not received that statement and neither the building inspector or I have signed off on the application. We also review the site plans to compare the amount of storage area to make sure that it is in line with the retail operation, not a warehousing operation.
An additional recommendation to Council would be to place definitions of “retail” and “wholesale” into Sec. 23-402 to clarify the intent of the ordinance.
I hope this background is of help in understanding some of the change we have been making to address the matter.
Joe
Joseph Cooley JD MCRP RLA
Director of Planning and Development"
A notorized letter means nothing. A notary only signs that the person signing any document is the person they say they are. Thats all. So that will not stand up in court, Mr. Cooley.
Misery

Albany, GA

#5 Jul 10, 2012
Sincerely wrote:
<quoted text>
A notorized letter means nothing. A notary only signs that the person signing any document is the person they say they are. Thats all. So that will not stand up in court, Mr. Cooley.
Hell, they don't even know who runs or owns the business.

They probably don't do E-Verify (Federal Law) they just issue and keep re-issuing the license.
Voter Too

Duluth, GA

#6 Jul 10, 2012
Joe wrote:
Stewie and Jimmy love disco Joe. I'm betting Stewie wrote the BS post disguised as "Northwood" though.
It is this kind of comment that is pure BS. Its comments such as this that make it hard to get the attention of appropriate people.
Start making some sense and stop using your pet names for these people and try getting something done legitimately. Who are you disguised as?
John

Lawrenceville, GA

#7 Jul 13, 2012
Voter Too wrote:
<quoted text>
It is this kind of comment that is pure BS. Its comments such as this that make it hard to get the attention of appropriate people.
Start making some sense and stop using your pet names for these people and try getting something done legitimately. Who are you disguised as?
Who are the "appropriate people" Voter Too? Wake up, this is a venting site. No one expects anyone at city hall to read "Topix" and get busy actually DOING something about these problems. Seriously.
bob

Atlanta, GA

#8 Jul 14, 2012
Time to fire the planner.
Homeowner

Atlanta, GA

#9 Aug 7, 2012
Northwood wrote:
"The interpretation of the code section that was in place when I took this job was that as long as there was some retail (whatever percentage), wholesale sales were allowed. This was the determination the interim planners were making and signing-off on zoning requirements at that time, based upon their, and I can only presume the then City legal counsel’s, interpretation of the ordinance. Unfortunately, the drafters of our current code section did not provide a definition of “retail” or “wholesale” businesses for clarity on the matter. I did not believe this was the intent of the ordinance, hence, the note regarding 100% retail in order to have wholesale comment on the 2011 application. A smaller percentage of a retail area was not sufficient. Our current legal counsel affirmed that in their opinion anything less than the business being open 100% of the time to the public and selling all merchandise as retail would not constitute a retail business. Since that time, and including the 2012 Moon Lingerie application, we have asked applicants to provide a notarized letter stating that the business will be: 100 % retail, 100% open to the public at all hours that they are open for business; all merchandise to be on display to the public; and all merchandises to marked with retail price tags. No application has been signed-off on since without that letter being provided by the applicant. The same notarized statement has been requested from the applicant for their 2012 occupational tax placard. To date we have not received that statement and neither the building inspector or I have signed off on the application. We also review the site plans to compare the amount of storage area to make sure that it is in line with the retail operation, not a warehousing operation.
An additional recommendation to Council would be to place definitions of “retail” and “wholesale” into Sec. 23-402 to clarify the intent of the ordinance.
I hope this background is of help in understanding some of the change we have been making to address the matter.
Joe
Joseph Cooley JD MCRP RLA
Director of Planning and Development"
Join residents in stopping wholesale overruns on our city. Join homeowners in stopping a 60% residential rental rate. Join neighborhoods to stop massage parlors, pawn shops, check cashing joints and wholesalers from creeping in and destroying quality of life for people who have families and actually live in Doraville.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Atlanta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Doraville and Ticket Fixing (Jun '11) Dec 14 Doral neighborhood 50
Cobb County Police Pay Woman $100K For 1st Amen... Dec 14 Charles 2
TIME to fire Luke Howe Dec 13 hugh 2
Decatur Unsafe At Night Dec 12 Charles 1
Time to Fire The Planner (Nov '12) Dec 11 bob 47
wolfman of east lake drive (Feb '13) Dec 10 KENfromTN 3
Person shot at DeKalb County gas station (Aug '12) Dec 10 FoodStampz4sale 7
North Atlanta Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

North Atlanta People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

North Atlanta News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in North Atlanta

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:06 am PST

Bleacher Report 5:06AM
Fantasy Football Week 16: Complete Thursday Night Preview
Bleacher Report 6:00 AM
Jaguars vs Titans: Full NFL 'Thursday Night Football' Preview and Prediction
Bleacher Report 8:00 AM
Thursday Night Football Week 16: TV Schedule, Live Stream for Titans vs. Jaguars
NBC Sports10:54 AM
Weatherspoon predicts a sweep of the "Aints"
Bleacher Report11:59 AM
Jaguars Break Their Underdog Streak