Anti-Tobacco Signs To Be Put Up At Oklahoma City Parks

May 29, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: News9 Oklahoma City

Oklahoma City is hoping the only smoking you'll find at public parks is Barbeque.

Comments
1 - 20 of 31 Comments Last updated Jun 7, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Put the X Back in X-Mas.”

Since: Feb 08

Norman, Oklahoma

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
May 31, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

As a former smoker, I can offer one view of this from both sides of the argument.

I remember being constantly annoyed at being forced to move to extreme distances just to have a cigarette. Conversely, I also remember that I always made certain not to smoke close or even upwind from children.

While I believe that smoking is a right, that right must not impinge on the rights of children to grow and develop without health issues.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
May 31, 2012
 

Judged:

3

3

3

I don't quite get how that is a view of both sides of the city's posting signs to deter smoking, but without the bite of a law saying you can't. Come to that, I'm not sure how it relates to the state's denying cities the freedom to decide for themselves how to handle the problems smoking causes in that urban setting (but might not in most of the rural areas).
EmploymentNurses -dot-com

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
May 31, 2012
 

Judged:

4

4

4

People underestimate the potential dangers of smoking. It's amazing yet how many people you still see doing it.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
May 31, 2012
 

Judged:

3

3

3

People who are amazed underestimate the addictiveness of nicotine and the polished subtlety of the tobacco industry's PR/marketing people.
Tunaboat

Montgomery, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

4

4

3

I just love how people want to dictate to others how to live. You can make all the rules and laws you wish but until they have enough officers to enforce every single one of them those laws are useless. Granted this isn't a law. You don't see them jumping on the wagon to curve alchol any further even though thousands of people die from it's effects each year. And look at all the people who die of cancer that isn't caused by tobacco. I grew up with parents who smoked before laws were passed and you could smoke anywhere. I have no health issues and neithe does my siblings. I beleive over half of the finding with smoking is scare tactic's by special interest groups. There many things in this world thats going to take a life in a split second and stopping smoking isn't going make a differnce in the annual numbers or statistic's. Your going to die quicker from car exhuast from just living.
Need A Light

London, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

4

3

2

Tunaboat wrote:
I just love how people want to dictate to others how to live. You can make all the rules and laws you wish but until they have enough officers to enforce every single one of them those laws are useless. Granted this isn't a law. You don't see them jumping on the wagon to curve alchol any further even though thousands of people die from it's effects each year. And look at all the people who die of cancer that isn't caused by tobacco. I grew up with parents who smoked before laws were passed and you could smoke anywhere. I have no health issues and neithe does my siblings. I beleive over half of the finding with smoking is scare tactic's by special interest groups. There many things in this world thats going to take a life in a split second and stopping smoking isn't going make a differnce in the annual numbers or statistic's. Your going to die quicker from car exhuast from just living.
Tunaboat ..... since a multitude of jobs have been moved off shores, replacements for those jobs has come in the form of paid lifestyle consultants.The tobacco issue is the framework for all the new issues to be created. The big drink in New York is the latest on board, the lawyers will be lineing up for their big chunk.Those everyday needs for a lawyer are suffering with poor representation when these guys are only interested in taking on the big law suits.
The old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it is disappearing fast is it too late to get back what you once had ?.
Freedom

Niles, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

3

3

3

You can't say that those who warned you self righteous moral busybodies that your beloved Fascistic bans were only the beginning of an overbearing Big Brother Nanny State. Looks like we are now having the last laugh....

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/big-soda-ban-...

Mayor Bloomberg is a big soda scrooge.

After taking on smoking, trans-fats and restaurant calorie counts, Hizzoner has yet another health hazard in his crosshairs: oversized sugary drinks.

The city is working on a plan to ban large soft drinks and other sweet beverages in eateries, theaters and most other venues, City Hall announced Wednesday.
------

First they came for the smokers...
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Tunaboat wrote:
I just love how people want to dictate to others how to live.
I just love how people can't see that smoking in public goes BEYOND dictating how other people live and goes directly to FORCING them to live under conditions determined by the smokers' decisions.
Freedom

Niles, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
I just love how people can't see that smoking in public goes BEYOND dictating how other people live and goes directly to FORCING them to live under conditions determined by the smokers' decisions.
Who is this madman who "forces" you to enter Joe's Bar and Grill against your free will?

Please name this criminal so charges can be brought.
Need A Light

London, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
I just love how people can't see that smoking in public goes BEYOND dictating how other people live and goes directly to FORCING them to live under conditions determined by the smokers' decisions.
Lets face it a SMOKING ALLOWED sign would provoke your ASDS Jass.

First they wanted it outside, now they don't want it outside, "THE AGENDA" and on and on. "Follow the Money"
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Freedom wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is this madman who "forces" you to enter Joe's Bar and Grill against your free will?
Please name this criminal so charges can be brought.
How public is public?

What does it have to do with ME?

Who forces SMOKERS to enter places where smoking isn't allowed?
WHatever. You're back with the same old garbage.

Anybody ever tell you you're a bore, boor?
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jun 1, 2012
 

Judged:

4

3

3

When a smoker smokes around other people, the deed is done. Those people have no choice (not even the option of refusing to follow a decree) in whether they are or are not subjected to SHS. Whether they themselves smoke or not.
IMALWAYSRIGHT

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jun 4, 2012
 

Judged:

4

4

4

Freedom wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is this madman who "forces" you to enter Joe's Bar and Grill against your free will?
Please name this criminal so charges can be brought.
Smokers should have no rights. Any business and health insurance companies HAVE the right to deny employment and coverage. I don't want to even smell the filthy smoke from a "smoker" in the car next to me at an intersection.
Tunaboat

Montgomery, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jun 5, 2012
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
I just love how people can't see that smoking in public goes BEYOND dictating how other people live and goes directly to FORCING them to live under conditions determined by the smokers' decisions.
So have you quit driving a vehical with a gasoline engine? The exhaust that your emmitting is doing more damage than smoking does. Is this one of them "pick your soapbox issues"?
Tunaboat

Montgomery, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jun 5, 2012
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Hugh Jass wrote:
When a smoker smokes around other people, the deed is done. Those people have no choice (not even the option of refusing to follow a decree) in whether they are or are not subjected to SHS. Whether they themselves smoke or not.
yes there is a choice, wear a resperator a mask. there are choices. You can be struck by lightening walking outside but does that keep you inside? Just how much secondhand smoke does it take to harm someone? I'm 50yo and been around it all my life. People worry about the littlest things, I ate dirt when I was a kid and have swallowed things that would make a billygoat puke but people in this day and age run to the Dr. for every little thing. I beleive smokers are one of the least of anyones worries.
ItsAFact

Walkersville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jun 5, 2012
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Tunaboat wrote:
<quoted text>
yes there is a choice, wear a resperator a mask. there are choices. You can be struck by lightening walking outside but does that keep you inside? Just how much secondhand smoke does it take to harm someone? I'm 50yo and been around it all my life. People worry about the littlest things, I ate dirt when I was a kid and have swallowed things that would make a billygoat puke but people in this day and age run to the Dr. for every little thing. I beleive smokers are one of the least of anyones worries.
You are correct, it's the narrowness of his doorway and mind and the expanse of his "Hugh Jass" that keeps him inside glued to this forum 24/7/365.
Need A Light

London, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jun 5, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

ItsAFact wrote:
<quoted text>You are correct, it's the narrowness of his doorway and mind and the expanse of his "Hugh Jass" that keeps him inside glued to this forum 24/7/365.
That would'nt happen to be Smart Glue by some chance ????
ItsAFact

Walkersville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jun 5, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Need A Light wrote:
<quoted text>
That would'nt happen to be Smart Glue by some chance ????
I'd suspect in his case since his captivity is self induceed that it must be his very own "Fart Glue".

:)
IMALWAYSRIGHT

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jun 6, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Tunaboat wrote:
<quoted text>
yes there is a choice, wear a resperator a mask. there are choices. You can be struck by lightening walking outside but does that keep you inside? Just how much secondhand smoke does it take to harm someone? I'm 50yo and been around it all my life. People worry about the littlest things, I ate dirt when I was a kid and have swallowed things that would make a billygoat puke but people in this day and age run to the Dr. for every little thing. I beleive smokers are one of the least of anyones worries.
Most everything has a cumulative
affect. Smokers who @ 50+ years have big decline curve right into their casket. This state need to get on the ball and make a big profit off offenders.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Jun 6, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Tunaboat wrote:
<quoted text>
So have you quit driving a vehical with a gasoline engine? The exhaust that your emmitting is doing more damage than smoking does. Is this one of them "pick your soapbox issues"?
You REALLY think that is clever? Original? Valid?

You have no analogy there.

Car manufacturers try to make their products less damaging by making them more fuel-efficient. The government REQUIRES them to meet certain standards there. Car OWNERS try to maximize the fuel efficiency of their machines.

Cigarette manufacturers try to maximize the addictive potential of their products--and manipulate the public into blaming their CUSTOMERS for the ill effects of using the products. The government, so far, merely limits the places in which that product can be used and, to an extent, how it can be advertised.

Go back to your playpen, Plato.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Norman Discussions

Search the Norman Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OK OK Health Care Freedom Amendment, State Questio... (Oct '10) 23 min TAMARA 72,077
Satanists Unveil Design for Statehouse Statue (Jan '14) 14 hr reldeenk 8
Sam Celsor 14 hr HoustonMami 1
natasha starkey 14 hr allreal 1
paris lapriest powell, okc 15 hr frenchinhale 1
Anti-American-Socialist Business in OKC (Oct '13) Wed JPL 640
anti-american business: public beware (May '13) Wed JPL 139
•••
•••
•••
•••

Norman Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Norman People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Norman News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Norman
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••