Court removes judge from southwest Virginia bench

A judge who had a woman drop her pants in his southwest Virginia courtroom has been removed from the bench. Full Story
jcr

Dogue, VA

#1 Nov 5, 2007
Who put this D U M B A S S in office as a Judge (James Michael Shull)
2 Funny

Hampton, VA

#3 Nov 5, 2007
jcr wrote:
Why nonother than the Republican brother of our former Republican Attorney General Jerry Kilgore!

"First District Del. Terry Kilgore (R-Gate City) served as chairman of the Courts Judiciary Subcommittee, who oversees the selection of judges." (quote from the Scott County Virginia Star follow this http://search.isp.netscape.com/nsisp/boomfram... )

You know what they say....... birds of a feather

Since: Jul 07

Tidewater, VA

#4 Nov 5, 2007
bet there is more to this story than the liberal anti law enforcement anti soldier DP is reporting.
2 Funny

Hampton, VA

#5 Nov 5, 2007
jcr wrote:
Delegate Terry Kilgore represents Scott County and it is up to the representative of the district to make the nominations which are then approved by the entire General Assembly. This judge was appointed in 2003 by a Republican controlled General Assembly.
2 Funny

Hampton, VA

#6 Nov 5, 2007
A more enlightening article from the Scott County Virginia Star...

Scott JDR Judge Suspended
From staff reports
A local juvenile and domestic relations court judge has been suspended following an incident that happened last month in Wise County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.

Thirtieth Judicial District Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court Judge James Michael Shull of Gate City was officially suspended after a formal complaint was filed against him for inappropriate behavior that occurred Dec. 15 in Wise.

According to courtroom witnesses, Shull was presiding over a case involving a woman, who was seeking a protective order from an abusive partner. The woman removed her pants two times in the courtroom to show injuries she alleged were caused by her partner.

After the second incident, Shull left the bench to “get a closer look” and went to look at the woman’s injuries.

The state’s Judicial Inquiry and Review Commission received a complaint regarding Shull’s actions on Dec. 15. The JIRC was created by the Constitution of Virginia to investigate charges of judicial misconduct or serious mental or physical disability.

The commission has seven members consisting of three judges, two lawyers and two citizen members who are not lawyers. The members are elected by the Virginia General Assembly for four-year terms.

Virginia State Police officially served Shull his suspension notice at the end of his work day on Wednesday, Dec. 20. By law, he is not allowed to enter any Virginia courtroom while the matter is under investigation.

Court officials have secured substitute judges to work in Shull's absence to keep the court dockets active.

An employee of the Judicial Inquiry and Review Commission declined to comment on the proceeding but did say all information found during the investigation remains confidential.

To make a formal complaint against any judge, a person must complete a form outlining the allegations and must sign their name. All information in complaints sent to JIRC remains totally confidential.

Shull has served as a JDR Judge since his selection in February 2003. He officially took the bench the next month following the resignation of Judge Greg Baker, who was forced to resign following accusations of completing false applications for the position.

First District Del. Terry Kilgore (R-Gate City) served as chairman of the Courts Judiciary Subcommittee, who oversees the selection of judges.

Shull is expected to appear before the commission later this week.
What ever

Atlanta, GA

#7 Nov 5, 2007
More judges need to be de-thrown. The one who gave that child molester cop 44years suspeneded and the one who let a drug dealer walk with no time served who the next day killed a cop in NN (the undercover Chenellow's pizze driver), she also gave a suspended sentence to another NN cop's killer Kenny Wallace about both abou15 years ago.
these people do not belong in the buisness of judgeing people's fate
WHAT NOW

Brookeville, MD

#8 Nov 5, 2007
she should of had picture of the stab wound.How's a judge going to render a verdit without seeing the wound?
okay

Washington, DC

#9 Nov 5, 2007
This story is the one about the judge who has a woman drop her pants when you click on the more button.
figgers

AOL

#10 Nov 5, 2007
as a female native of SW va i am ashamed... How embarrassed she had to be! Did she not have any representation in court? The "Good ole boy" mentality of that region of the state prevails once again!If she had followed proper procedures when she filed the complaint, wouldn't the investigating officers had taken pics as evidence??
Cmora

Norfolk, VA

#11 Nov 5, 2007
If the D.A. didn't have any pictures, it would explain the judge doing what he did.

The "victim" should have worn a skirt or brought in pictures! Would've made the judges job a lot easier!
SICK WORLD

AOL

#12 Nov 5, 2007
The custody dispute I agree with but we are all adults and if someone is there about a wound which happens to be in the buttocks, well then, sometimes a picture just wouldn't be clear enough. I totally agree the person could be asked to show the wound in a respectful way like when you get a shot. It's only skin people! I doubt if he told her to lower her pants to her knees, underwear and all. If he did, that would be wrong. It's really sad when people spend years going to college getting an education, sometimes letting it go to their heads and sometimes not, but to have it pulled from under you would be bad. Hopefully there were many warnings on this Judges behavior and he just didn't listen. Maybe others with such a high position will learn from this situation and not let such a thing happen to them or those they are judging.
strike23663

United States

#13 Nov 5, 2007
maybe judges need to be background checked like other public officials, then things like this would not happen.
2 Funny

Hampton, VA

#14 Nov 5, 2007
SICK WORLD wrote:
The custody dispute I agree with but we are all adults and if someone is there about a wound which happens to be in the buttocks, well then, sometimes a picture just wouldn't be clear enough. I totally agree the person could be asked to show the wound in a respectful way like when you get a shot. It's only skin people! I doubt if he told her to lower her pants to her knees, underwear and all. If he did, that would be wrong. It's really sad when people spend years going to college getting an education, sometimes letting it go to their heads and sometimes not, but to have it pulled from under you would be bad. Hopefully there were many warnings on this Judges behavior and he just didn't listen. Maybe others with such a high position will learn from this situation and not let such a thing happen to them or those they are judging.
Judicial appointments are based on politics and politics only. The only requirement is that you be a lawyer and a dedicated follower of the party in charge of the general assembly at the time of your appointment. It's good ole boy politics at its worst.

There is NEVER, EVER an excuse for a judge to ask a victim to enter chambers and disrobe to expose a wound. That's what police reports, doctors reports and witness testimony is for. There should have been pictures taken at the time of the incident and if there weren't then the problem is the fault of the investigating officer.

What this judge did was arrogant and disgusting and I hope he is permanently removed.
EJ Smithfield

Suffolk, VA

#15 Nov 5, 2007
Sounds like a practical guy to me.
msb

Greenville, NC

#16 Nov 6, 2007
This story (about the Judge) pops up when I am trying to read about the 11 year old Norfolk girl killed in a crash. Why is that?
the MOMMY GO BYE-BYE blog

Annapolis, MD

#17 Nov 8, 2007
What is the source of your information contained in the following quote?:

"...[Shull] officially took the bench the next month following the resignation of Judge Greg Baker, who was forced to resign following accusations of completing false applications for the position..."

My email VWyvell@patriot.net or http://mommygobyebye-virginia.blogspot.com

Thank you
Margie Olson

Hampton, VA

#18 Jun 11, 2011
the MOMMY GO BYE-BYE blog wrote:
What is the source of your information contained in the following quote?:
"...[Shull] officially took the bench the next month following the resignation of Judge Greg Baker, who was forced to resign following accusations of completing false applications for the position..."
My email VWyvell@patriot.net or http://mommygobyebye-virginia.blogspot.com
Thank you
My response is this:
I have dealt with judges who over-step their boundaries. In my case, a gender bias judge who award custody to my ex without any evidence that I did anything wrong. Before I go further about gender bias in courts (the judge was Female). The court had the nerve to tell me to get (the hell of her court) only after I just ask a question. She is known in our county for decding cases based on gender. Question for All is this:
Where is the line drawn where Judges are made accountable for their acts when they "Abuse their power" or their conduct goes beyond their scope of duty, and there is a violation of citizen's civil rights?
THEY ARE NOT GODS FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE!!

Gloucester, Virginia
Real Life Mommy Go Bye Bye Victim

P.S. I am trying to get a judge remove from the bench.
I could use some help advertising my intentions online to achieve this goal.
Anyone in the Virginia, please, reply. I want a Petition going to sign by the victims before it goes to the General Assembly

Thanks All
Lois

Parksley, VA

#19 Jun 11, 2011
just make her life, legally, A LIVING HELL. If you have friends who will join you, the better.Com plain constantly about frivolus crap, not dealing with you case.Ex, file a lawsuit against her personally, not as a judge. Say she ran you off the road or 100 other things.Then put a lien on her house.Remember, be within the law.The frivolus suit will be thrown out but her credit score will drop like a sak of sht.Next, put the Clerk on speed dial.Com plain about everything in her Court(no swearing or threats), crap sucah as: racism, being late to the Bench,,,now complain to the ones who appoint.Join the NAACP, even if you are white.Send letters of protest.They will eventually throw her under the bus.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newport News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min shinningelectr0n 1,156,044
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 56 min Mothra 49,332
McAuliffe wants to ban gifts and trips for lawm... (Mar '09) 5 hr Rick 20
Does anybody know who Joe Vera who worked at gr... Dec 23 just wondering Wa... 1
Former Poquoson Officer Will Not Get His Job Back (Sep '12) Dec 22 Jpow 11
Is Illinois couple's murder tied to bankruptcy ... (Oct '08) Dec 20 hounddogsniffin 4
Naughty cam fun with females. Dec 20 lordbarty 1
Newport News Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Newport News People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Newport News News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Newport News

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:35 pm PST