Who needs rules, anyway? Newfane discusses abolishing towna s zoning bylaws

More than 50 people filled the NewBrook Fire Department on Thursday night for an information meeting about a vote to abolish the town's zoning bylaws. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
flat lander

United States

#1 Dec 11, 2010
For years Morse enjoyed the tourist money and now enough have moved in control to rules that effect him. Bill you left the back door open to long.
ArcherRingworm

Chester, VT

#2 Dec 11, 2010
You're next, Rockingham. Old rules prohibit progress.
fat lander

Leicester, MA

#3 Dec 11, 2010
ArcherRingworm wrote:
You're next, Rockingham. Old rules prohibit progress.
That's right. We could use a nuclear power plant or two in ROckingham. And maybe a seven eleven.
Marianne

Newfane, VT

#4 Dec 11, 2010
flat lander wrote:
For years Morse enjoyed the tourist money and now enough have moved in control to rules that effect him. Bill you left the back door open to long.
I certainly agree with Cloe on at least one topic - FLATLANDER GO AWAY!

It is because of the flat-landers that zoning was put into place. A Stamford Ct developer came to the area and decided to rip this town apart for his own financial gain. Newfane stood up against him with zoning. Townshend & Brookline have been successful, so far, to keep zoning out, and I respect them. When you have all of that out-of-state money trying to destroy everything a small Vermont community represent you have to stand up and protect what we have left. I know "flatlander" cannot comprehend this.
Marianne

Newfane, VT

#5 Dec 11, 2010
fat lander wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right. We could use a nuclear power plant or two in ROckingham. And maybe a seven eleven.
According to "flatlander", that is what we need. Need I say any more about "flatlander"?
flat lander

United States

#6 Dec 11, 2010
Marianne you mean Stamford oh I always knew it as Port Chester West N.Y. and i don't hail from that hell hole of states. My mother told me I am from heaven and am the sweetest baby ever. I remember the village of Newfane fell trap to the movie fakes and built you a rotten gazebo and a movie that insulted the whole town has a bunch of hicks. well happy holidays to you and all that still enjoy life as it is meant to be.
7th Generation Vermonter

Wallingford, VT

#7 Dec 11, 2010
flat lander wrote:
Marianne you mean Stamford oh I always knew it as Port Chester West N.Y. and i don't hail from that hell hole of states. My mother told me I am from heaven and am the sweetest baby ever. I remember the village of Newfane fell trap to the movie fakes and built you a rotten gazebo and a movie that insulted the whole town has a bunch of hicks. well happy holidays to you and all that still enjoy life as it is meant to be.
Sorry that was Townshend not Newfane. Guess you are not from the Valley.
Marianne

Newfane, VT

#8 Dec 12, 2010
flat lander wrote:
So obvious you know nothing about this area nor its people. The movie you refer to was filmed in Grafton & Townshend. As far as I know the whole area considered the movie comical, as it was meant to be, and many participants were locals as well. The gazebo still stands and is used for many special events.
ka boom

Chesterfield, MO

#9 Dec 12, 2010
Funny farm is a classic movie...lets not forget super troopers and change of seasons also vermont based and the simpsons is now considered a vermont show. So ha.
15th Generation Vermonter

Jericho, VT

#10 Dec 12, 2010
How to Reduce Property Values in Newfane
Not just a few but all studies of the subject show that towns without zoning have much lower property values than those that do. In a down real estate market, Newfane residents would be crazy to remove zoning. But never underestimate the power of self-destructive nativists!
Spuds

Keene, NH

#11 Dec 12, 2010
15th Generation Vermonter wrote:
How to Reduce Property Values in Newfane
Not just a few but all studies of the subject show that towns without zoning have much lower property values than those that do. In a down real estate market, Newfane residents would be crazy to remove zoning. But never underestimate the power of self-destructive nativists!
The answer is simple. Natives intend to live and die on their land for generations, so the higher value only means higher taxes. Boohoo if you can't make a buck on your real estate investments. I don't care. Money isn't everything. Freedom is worth more!
Splat Lander

Springfield, MA

#12 Dec 12, 2010
Wrong town you lying drug dealer. Isn't it time to check in with your parole officer in Illinois or wherever you are?
flat lander wrote:
I remember the village of Newfane fell trap to the movie fakes and built you a rotten gazebo
Allen

Newfane, VT

#13 Dec 12, 2010
Spuds wrote:
<quoted text>
The answer is simple. Natives intend to live and die on their land for generations, so the higher value only means higher taxes. Boohoo if you can't make a buck on your real estate investments. I don't care. Money isn't everything. Freedom is worth more!
Very well stated, thank you!
TNB

Memphis, TN

#14 Dec 12, 2010
So if there are no Zoning laws,any type of business can open up in the Village/Town of Newfane?

If,and I say if,the above is true what motivates one to want to abolish Zoning laws. Diversity?

Maybe a 7-11, a massage parlor and a tobaco shop all on the same block??

I guess I am missing something.
Spuds

Keene, NH

#15 Dec 12, 2010
Business IS what is missing.
Allen

Newfane, VT

#16 Dec 12, 2010
TNB wrote:
So if there are no Zoning laws,any type of business can open up in the Village/Town of Newfane?
If,and I say if,the above is true what motivates one to want to abolish Zoning laws. Diversity?
Maybe a 7-11, a massage parlor and a tobaco shop all on the same block??
I guess I am missing something.
You are missing considerably more than you can comprehend - on many levels and factors. The neighboring towns of Brookline & Townshend have no zoning laws and likely never will. They have none of what you describe because of Town Ordinances.

BTW, how many "blocks" do these 3 towns have? How amazing humorous!
Rocky Mountain Ex-Patriot

Brattleboro, VT

#17 Dec 12, 2010
You are all freaking "Flat Landers" - giver you ego's a break. This is a land of pretty hills.
Spuds

Keene, NH

#18 Dec 12, 2010
Rocky Mountain Ex-Patriot wrote:
You are all freaking "Flat Landers" - giver you ego's a break. This is a land of pretty hills.
.....high taxes and low prosperity.
Rocky Mountain Ex-Patriot

Brattleboro, VT

#19 Dec 12, 2010
Spuds wrote:
<quoted text>.....high taxes and low prosperity.
Compare. Read. Think. VT actually is in FAR better shape right now than most of the United States economically.
Vermonter

Leicester, MA

#20 Dec 12, 2010
Rocky Mountain Ex-Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>
Compare. Read. Think. VT actually is in FAR better shape right now than most of the United States economically.
This is correct. Unemployment rate in Vermont is 6 percent. Unless you don't have a job of course. Then it is 100 percent unemployment. Vermont is in FAR better shape than most of the U.S. I have been paying the high taxes in Newfane for over 40 years. I don't like it much but I would continue the high taxes to keep the seven eleven off Route 30. Changing the zoning laws isn't going to lower our taxes much anyway. Not unless you are talking Entergy or another Grafton Cheese factory or maybe a ski resort.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newfane Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Two arraigned in I-91 heroin bust 2 hr March Winds 8
Shumlin Gave Up On Single Payer Health Care 5 hr TheDailySheeple d... 9
Online Petition to oust Shumlin Sat March Winds 74
Estey Day celebration at organ museum Sat March Winds 7
Visiting Brattleboro Sat March Winds 4
Former BF man in hot water for prison letters Dec 19 MRC 2
Retreat is 14th largest mental health provider ... (Apr '14) Dec 18 Esther 12

Newfane News Video

Newfane Dating
Find my Match