Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2012

Judged:

In an editorial published online last night, the Journal slams Romney and his staff for their inability (or unwillingness?) to stick it to President Obama over the "penalty vs. tax" debate when it comes to the health care and the individual mandate. The paper says that by siding with the President and calling it a penalty, he gave the Obama campaign a "gift" that undermines Republican arguments and turns the unpopular Supreme Court decision into a "second defeat." Then by flipping his strategy and calling it a tax — as Romney did multiple times on Wednesday — "the campaign looks confused in addition to being politically dumb."

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2012

Judged:

Luvin every minute of it wrote:
<quoted text> Actually, Andy was a democrat.
But he believed in traditional values, never pushed Opie towards Barney, but you know, I did wonder about Barney.
Reality Check

Conway, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2012

Judged:

BARNEYII wrote:
<quoted text>
Wall Street Journal revealed that 75 percent of Obamacare’s new taxes will be paid for by American families making under $120,000 a year. Among the taxes that will hit the middle class are the individual mandate, a 2.3 percent excise tax on medical devices, a 10 percent excise tax on indoor tanning, and an increase of the floor on medical deductions from 7.5 percent of adjusted gross income to 10 percent.
http://blog.heritage.org/2012/07/02/morning-b...
I guess you will give Obama a pass on this? If American voters had known this was Obama's idea of transparency in 2008 he would not have been elected. What will he promise this time around? All he has done so far is point out others faults and pit American against American with his class warfare. What he hasn't done is talk about his total failure of a record. I suspect he won't.
Reality Check

Conway, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2012

Judged:

BARNEYII wrote:
<quoted text>
I could fart, and you would say, "Sounds like a good reason to vote for Romney"
Given Obama's record, the threshold for voting for Romney is pretty low for this election.
Reality Check

Conway, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2012

Judged:

BARNEYII wrote:
<quoted text>
On the campaign trail, Mitt Romney has been a man who has been highlighting his executive business experience at the investment firm, Bain Capital. Romney touts the success he has had investing in companies like Staples, but the other side of the coin shows massive jobs losses while Romney and others have been able to make a profit.
The newest reports about Mitt Romney's financial holdings point to Sankaty High Yield Asset Investors Ltd, which is a company based in Bermuda that has been previously missing from past financial disclosure reports. One account alone is reported to be worth nearly $2 million questioning whether Romney is worth more than the $250 million reported by his campaign.
The Associated Press reports that Sankaty was transferred to another trust owned by Mitt Romney's wife, Ann, just one day before Romney was sworn in as governor of Massachusetts in 2003. The offshore company was used prominently over 10 years ago when Romney's former company, Bain Capital, took over Dominos Pizza and other outlets for over $1 billion. The offshore company was kept relatively silent until Romney was forced to release his 2010 tax returns following political pressure.
“A Swiss bank account. A dozen funds in the Cayman Islands. And now, a Bermuda tax shelter he failed to report...How many of these revelations will it take for the media to demand a full accounting of Mitt’s tax returns and finances?”
According to a report by Vanity Fair, Mitt Romney is hiding at least $30 million in offshore accounts in the Cayman Islands in addition to millions of dollars in Swiss bank accounts and others.
None of this is illegal and none of this has cost the American public a dime of their own money. Give it a rest. Given Obama's record on jobs lost, I don't believe I would be spouting off about Romney's record. I would bet that Romney's overall jobs creation vs jobs lost number is in the black by a significant margin. Obama can't say that. Not even close.

Blytheville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2012

Judged:

Poor Mitt wrote:
In an editorial published online last night, the Journal slams Romney and his staff for their inability (or unwillingness?) to stick it to President Obama over the "penalty vs. tax" debate when it comes to the health care and the individual mandate. The paper says that by siding with the President and calling it a penalty, he gave the Obama campaign a "gift" that undermines Republican arguments and turns the unpopular Supreme Court decision into a "second defeat." Then by flipping his strategy and calling it a tax — as Romney did multiple times on Wednesday — "the campaign looks confused in addition to being politically dumb."
If that's the best Obama's got, then he's in trouble considering Obama's staff couldn't even agree on how many jobs they've supposedly "saved or created."
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-614032...
TinyWiny

Humble, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2012

Judged:

Hell a 5yr old that has graduated kindergarten would make better decisions than Obama. I just pray its not him again. They say it can always be worse but I really don't see how as long as we get someone new in there.
Old Army

Quitman, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2012

Judged:

from hear me wrote:
<quoted text>not many other jobs around right now I am happy to be working
It must be Bush's fault. Sure can't blame your man Obama. He's created thousands of jobs, somewhere.
from the washington post

Rison, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2012

Judged:

Obama’s public-equity record is the real scandal
&#9679; Raser Technologies. In 2010, the Obama administration gave Raser a $33 million taxpayer-funded grant to build a power plant in Beaver Creek, Utah. After burning through our tax dollars, the company filed for bankruptcy protection in 2012. The plant now has fewer than 10 employees, and Raser owes $1.5 million in back taxes.
&#9679; ECOtality. The Obama administration gave ECOtality $126.2 million in taxpayer money in 2009 for, among other things, the installation of 14,000 electric car chargers in five states. Obama even hosted the company’s president, Don Karner, in the first lady’s box during the 2010 State of the Union address as an example> of a stimulus success story. According to ECOtality’s own SEC filings, the company has since incurred more than $45 million in losses and has told the federal government,“We may not achieve or sustain profitability on a quarterly or annual basis in the future.” CBS News: the company is “under investigation for insider trading,” and Karner has been subpoenaed “for any and all documentation surrounding the public announcement of the first Department of Energy grant to the company.”
&#9679; Nevada Geothermal Power (NGP). Obama gave NGP a $98.5 million taxpayer loan guarantee in 2010. The New York Times reported last October that the company is in “financial turmoil” and that “[a]fter a> series of technical missteps that are draining Nevada Geothermal’s cash reserves, its own auditor concluded in a filing released last week that there was ‘significant doubt about the company’s ability to continue as a going concern.’&#8201;”
&#9679; First Solar. Obama provided First Solar with more than $3 billion in loan guarantees for power plants in Arizona and California. According to a Bloomberg Businessweek report last week, the company “fell to a record low in Nasdaq Stock Market trading May 4 after reporting $401 million in restructuring costs tied to firing 30 percent of its workforce.”
&#9679; Abound Solar, Inc. Obama gave Abound Solar a $400 million> loan guarantee to build photovoltaic panel factories. According to Forbes, in February the company halted production and laid off 180 employees.
&#9679; Beacon Power. Obama gave Beacon — a green-energy storage company — a $43 million loan guarantee. According to CBS News, at the time of the loan,“Standard and Poor’s had confidentially given the project a dismal outlook of ‘CCC-plus.’” In the fall of 2011, Beacon received a delisting notice from Nasdaq and filed for bankruptcy.
This is just the tip of the iceberg. A company called SunPower got a $1.2 billion loan guarantee from the Obama administration, and as of January, the company owed more than it was worth. Brightsource got a $1.6 billion loan guarantee and posted a string of net losses totaling $177 million. And, of course, let’s not forget Solyndra — the solar panel manufacturer that received $535 million in taxpayer-funded loan guarantees and went bankrupt, leaving taxpayers on the hook.
Amazingly, Obama has declared that all the projects received funding “based solely on their merits.” But as Hoover Institution scholar Peter Schweizer reported in his book,“Throw Them All Out,” fully 71 percent of the Obama Energy Department’s grants and loans went to “individuals who were bundlers, members of Obama’s National Finance Committee, or large donors to the Democratic Party.” Collectively, these Obama cronies raised $457,834 for his campaign, and they were in turn approved for grants or loans of nearly $11.35 billion. Obama said this week it’s not the president’s job “to make a lot of money for investors.” Obama sure seems to have made a lot of (taxpayer) money for investors in his political machine. All that cronyism and corruption is catching up with him. According to Politico,“The Energy Department’s inspector general has launched more than 100 criminal investigations” related to the department’s green-energy programs.

Rison, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2012

Judged:

I just received my tax return for 2011 back from the IRS. It puzzles me!!! They are questioning how many dependents I claimed. I guess it was because of my response to the question: "List all dependents?" I replied: 12 million illegal immigrants; 3 million crack heads; 42 million unemployed on food stamps, 2 million people in over 243 prisons; Half of Mexico; and 535 persons in the U.S. House and Senate." 1 useless President. Evidently, this was NOT an acceptable answer.

I KEEP ASKING MYSELF, WHO DID I MISS?
Old Man

North Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2012

Judged:

from the washington post wrote:
Obama’s public-equity record is the real scandal
&#9679; Raser Technologies. In 2010, the Obama administration gave Raser a $33 million taxpayer-funded grant to build a power plant in Beaver Creek, Utah. After burning through our tax dollars, the company filed for bankruptcy protection in 2012. The plant now has fewer than 10 employees, and Raser owes $1.5 million in back taxes.
&#9679; ECOtality. The Obama administration gave ECOtality $126.2 million in taxpayer money in 2009 for, among other things, the installation of 14,000 electric car chargers in five states. Obama even hosted the company’s president, Don Karner, in the first lady’s box during the 2010 State of the Union address as an example> of a stimulus success story. According to ECOtality’s own SEC filings, the company has since incurred more than $45 million in losses and has told the federal government,“We may not achieve or sustain profitability on a quarterly or annual basis in the future.” CBS News: the company is “under investigation for insider trading,” and Karner has been subpoenaed “for any and all documentation surrounding the public announcement of the first Department of Energy grant to the company.”
&#9679; Nevada Geothermal Power (NGP). Obama gave NGP a $98.5 million taxpayer loan guarantee in 2010. The New York Times reported last October that the company is in “financial turmoil” and that “[a]fter a> series of technical missteps that are draining Nevada Geothermal’s cash reserves, its own auditor concluded in a filing released last week that there was ‘significant doubt about the company’s ability to continue as a going concern.’&#8201;”
&#9679; First Solar. Obama provided First Solar with more than $3 billion in loan guarantees for power plants in Arizona and California. According

&#9679; Abound Solar, Inc. Obama gave Abound Solar a $400 million> loan guarantee to build photovoltaic panel factories. According to Forbes, in February the company halted production and laid off 180 employees.
&#9679; Beacon Power. Obama gave Beacon — a green-energy storage company — a $43 million loan guarantee. According to CBS News, at the time of the loan,“Standard and Poor’s had confidentially given the project a dismal outlook of ‘CCC-plus.’” In the fall of 2011, Beacon received a delisting notice from Nasdaq and filed for bankruptcy.
This is just the tip of the iceberg. A company called SunPower got a $1.2 billion loan guarantee from the Obama administration, and as of January, the company owed more than it was worth. Brightsource got a $1.6 billion loan guarantee and posted a string of net losses totaling $177 million. And, of course, let’s not forget Solyndra — the solar panel manufacturer that received $535 million in taxpayer-funded loan guarantees and went bankrupt, leaving taxpayers on the hook.
Amazingly, Obama has declared that all the projects received funding “based solely on their merits.” But as Hoover Institution scholar Peter Schweizer reported in his book,“Throw Them All Out,” fully 71 percent of the Obama Energy Department’s grants and loans went to “individuals who were bundlers, members of Obama’s National Finance Committee, or large donors to the Democratic Party.” Collectively, these Obama cronies raised $457,834 for his campaign, and they were in turn approved for grants or loans of nearly $11.35 billion. Obama said this week it’s not the president’s job “to make a lot of money for investors.” Obama sure seems to have made a lot of (taxpayer) money for investors in his political machine. All that cronyism and corruption is catching up with him. According to Politico,“The Energy Department’s inspector general has launched more than 100 criminal investigations” related to the department’s green-energy programs.
I am pretty sure that Bain and Romney had something to do with all these transactions and I am certain that Obama knows of a scenario where it can all be blamed on Bush.
Old Army

Quitman, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2012

Judged:

guest wrote:
I just received my tax return for 2011 back from the IRS. It puzzles me!!! They are questioning how many dependents I claimed. I guess it was because of my response to the question: "List all dependents?" I replied: 12 million illegal immigrants; 3 million crack heads; 42 million unemployed on food stamps, 2 million people in over 243 prisons; Half of Mexico; and 535 persons in the U.S. House and Senate." 1 useless President. Evidently, this was NOT an acceptable answer.
I KEEP ASKING MYSELF, WHO DID I MISS?
Bill and Hillary.
Hog Heaven

Sherwood, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2012

Judged:

Old Man wrote:
<quoted text>
I am pretty sure that Bain and Romney had something to do with all these transactions and I am certain that Obama knows of a scenario where it can all be blamed on Bush.
Yes, he'll try to look back and blame Bush but then tell us in a commercial to "Look Forward."
Obama's slogan should be more like, "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."
Reality Check

Warren, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2012

Judged:

Hog Heaven wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, he'll try to look back and blame Bush but then tell us in a commercial to "Look Forward."
Obama's slogan should be more like, "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."
Obama is America's most ineffective, hypocritical and divisive president in our nations short history. He has done more damage to our country in 3 1/2 short years than any other president. Some of his damage may never be undone like the socialization of our healthcare which might lead to socialization of our whole country. The racial division he has caused has probably set America back decades in the healing process between blacks and whites while introducing tensions between socioeconomic classes as well. Other things like the debt will take decades of fiscal discipline that I'm not sure we possess anymore. I hope this presidency is a lesson to America to not put their trust in politicians to fix all of our problems because that simply cannot be done. We the people are responsible for America's rise to the greatest country in the world, it was we the people's fault for giving politicians so much power, and it will be we the people that will fix this mess we are in if it is to be fixed.
ROBERT E LEE

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2012

Judged:

Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama is America's most ineffective, hypocritical and divisive president in our nations short history. He has done more damage to our country in 3 1/2 short years than any other president. Some of his damage may never be undone like the socialization of our healthcare which might lead to socialization of our whole country. The racial division he has caused has probably set America back decades in the healing process between blacks and whites while introducing tensions between socioeconomic classes as well. Other things like the debt will take decades of fiscal discipline that I'm not sure we possess anymore. I hope this presidency is a lesson to America to not put their trust in politicians to fix all of our problems because that simply cannot be done. We the people are responsible for America's rise to the greatest country in the world, it was we the people's fault for giving politicians so much power, and it will be we the people that will fix this mess we are in if it is to be fixed.
Dude, the South lost. Get over it already
HEAT WAVE

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2012

Judged:

Five ways the GOP has sabotaged job growth:

Filibustering the American Jobs Act. Last October, Senate Republicans killeda jobs bill proposed by President Obama that would have pumped $447 billion into the economy. Multiple economic analysts predicted the bill would add around two million jobs and hailed it as defense against a double-dip recession. The Congressional Budget Office also scored it as a net deficit reducer over ten years, and the American public supported the bill.

2. Stonewalling monetary stimulus. The Federal Reserve can do enormous good for a depressed economy through more aggressive monetary stimulus, and by tolerating a temporarily higher level of inflation. But with everything from Ron Paul’s anti-inflationary crusade to Rick Perry threatening to lynch Chairman Ben Bernanke, Republicans have browbeaten the Fed into not going down this path. Most damagingly, the GOP repeatedly held up President Obama’s nominations to the Federal Reserve Board during the critical months of the recession, leaving the board without the institutional clout it needed to help the economy.

3. Threatening a debt default. Even though the country didn’t actually hit its debt ceiling last summer, the Republican threat to default on the United States’ outstanding obligations was sufficient to spook financial markets anddo real damage to the economy.

4. Cutting discretionary spending in the debt ceiling deal. The deal the GOP extracted as the price for avoiding default imposed around $900 billion in cuts over ten years. It included $30.5 billion in discretionary cuts in 2012 alone, costing the country 0.3 percent in economic growth and 323,000 jobs, according to estimates from the Economic Policy Institute. Starting in 2013, the deal will trigger another $1.2 trillion in cuts over ten years.

5. Cutting discretionary spending in the budget deal. While not as cataclysmic as the debt ceiling brinksmanship, Republicans also threatened a shutdown of the government in early 2011 if cuts were not made to that year’s budget. The deal they struck with the White House cut $38 billion from food stamps, health, education, law enforcement, and low-income programs among others, whilesparing defense almost entirely.

And when it comes to Mitt Romney, economists agree that his plans will actually make things worse and could cause another recession

Blytheville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2012

Judged:

HEAT WAVE wrote:
Five ways the GOP has sabotaged job growth:
Filibustering the American Jobs Act. Last October, Senate Republicans killeda jobs bill proposed by President Obama that would have pumped $447 billion into the economy. Multiple economic analysts predicted the bill would add around two million jobs and hailed it as defense against a double-dip recession. The Congressional Budget Office also scored it as a net deficit reducer over ten years, and the American public supported the bill.
2. Stonewalling monetary stimulus. The Federal Reserve can do enormous good for a depressed economy through more aggressive monetary stimulus, and by tolerating a temporarily higher level of inflation. But with everything from Ron Paul’s anti-inflationary crusade to Rick Perry threatening to lynch Chairman Ben Bernanke, Republicans have browbeaten the Fed into not going down this path. Most damagingly, the GOP repeatedly held up President Obama’s nominations to the Federal Reserve Board during the critical months of the recession, leaving the board without the institutional clout it needed to help the economy.
3. Threatening a debt default. Even though the country didn’t actually hit its debt ceiling last summer, the Republican threat to default on the United States’ outstanding obligations was sufficient to spook financial markets anddo real damage to the economy.
4. Cutting discretionary spending in the debt ceiling deal. The deal the GOP extracted as the price for avoiding default imposed around $900 billion in cuts over ten years. It included $30.5 billion in discretionary cuts in 2012 alone, costing the country 0.3 percent in economic growth and 323,000 jobs, according to estimates from the Economic Policy Institute. Starting in 2013, the deal will trigger another $1.2 trillion in cuts over ten years.
5. Cutting discretionary spending in the budget deal. While not as cataclysmic as the debt ceiling brinksmanship, Republicans also threatened a shutdown of the government in early 2011 if cuts were not made to that year’s budget. The deal they struck with the White House cut $38 billion from food stamps, health, education, law enforcement, and low-income programs among others, whilesparing defense almost entirely.
And when it comes to Mitt Romney, economists agree that his plans will actually make things worse and could cause another recession
You're assuming those things would have actually increased job growth and done what the Obama administration promised and what your so-called "multiple economic analysts" said it would. Considering how his other failed policies fared, it was inspiring to finally see conservatives stand up to the scare tactics and lies of liberals and stop their madness.

North Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2012

Judged:

guest wrote:
<quoted text>You're assuming those things would have actually increased job growth and done what the Obama administration promised and what your so-called "multiple economic analysts" said it would. Considering how his other failed policies fared, it was inspiring to finally see conservatives stand up to the scare tactics and lies of liberals and stop their madness.
The other trillions of dollars thrown at these problems have brought about full employment. Had Obama's plan been implemented fully, so many jobs would have been created that we would not have had a sufficient work force and some of the stimulus money could have been used to create global jobs.

Blytheville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2012

Judged:

guest wrote:
<quoted text>
The other trillions of dollars thrown at these problems have brought about full employment. Had Obama's plan been implemented fully, so many jobs would have been created that we would not have had a sufficient work force and some of the stimulus money could have been used to create global jobs.
Full employment? I didn't realize that 8.2% unemployment meant "full employment." I know that the obama administration has us living in an era of lowered expectations, but that's ridiculous. You can no more say that his failed policies have worked then someone can say that had we done nothing at all, we'd be better off. Anyone who believes what you just said is either completely ignorant or a willing perpetrator of that ignorance.
HEAT WAVE

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2012

guest wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO, I don't think your buddy understood your sarcasm.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Newark Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
gay lovers (Apr '10) 12 min Sad 30
Big EBT scam 5 hr Former worker 12
warning women 8 hr MrNPT 2
Debate: Ferguson - Newport, AR 9 hr Politico 11
Kelley Albert 10 hr monster 1
Anyone know any closet gays? (Sep '09) 14 hr Sad 10
Dianne Calamese 15 hr LMH 4

Search the Newark Forum:
•••
•••