Joseph Lee

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2010

Marty Lalli's demo records were in several store juke boxes. 35 Flavors, Pizza Pete's,(across from Jerrys),Danny's of course, & a few others that I can't remember. He was 13 when he made that record.
jim dandy

Wapello, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2010

barney wrote:
Why is the Mayor so determined to tear down the Armory.
They turned Roosevelt School into Condo's, They turned Albert Leanard School into City Hall and they turned Bloomingdales into Condo's. BUT they want to tear down the ARMORY. I don't get it.
If you realy want to know...you will have to do some research...the library historian "may" be able to help! The old A.L/J.H.S., was scheduled for demolition,as was, the former Lincoln Elementry on Lincoln Ave.! Lincoln school was demolished 1960, and became "a city park" with ever changing names and uses!!! A.L./ J.H.S., was scheduled for demolition, the following year. It too, was to become, another "city" park. It was "spared" the fate of Lincoln School, the last minute of the last day of it's existance. Well worth looking into.
jim dandy

Wapello, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2010

FJH wrote:
The Billy Rifenburger (sp) I knew. His Dad was a NRPD Dective Joe Rifenburger in the 60s
Did you Know Tommy Davis? Went to BSHS. I think he also lived at 550 Fifth. I know it was one of those buildings.
<quoted text>
maybe some help here...I have been looking for my cousins...of the two Kelly families, that had lived at the 5th Ave projects 1950's 60's. I lost touch when I left the area 40 years ago...Thanks
jim dandy

Wapello, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2010

Bayview wrote:
<quoted text>
They put up a guard rail there years ago so you can't enter that space anymore.
I know that place from the 1950's. I think it was owned by (Bronx, N.Y.C.) I think it was closed late 1950's, as it was a area of (crimes) drugs and perversions of selected individuals that frequented the area. The Bronx owners, ffilled the parking area, with bowling ball (size) bolders, to keep the visitors and criminals out (early 1960's) It may have stopped, some of the "lover's lane" aspects, but not the other purposes.
Lost In The 50s

Crossville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2010

jim dandy wrote:
<quoted text> maybe some help here...I have been looking for my cousins...of the two Kelly families, that had lived at the 5th Ave projects 1950's 60's. I lost touch when I left the area 40 years ago...Thanks
The Kelly from the 5th Ave. projects that I knew was Billy Kelly..
probably graduated NRHS around 1961.... got married shortly thereafter and lived in those garden apartments right across from Harbor House. I believe that he still lives in the Westchester area
( not necessarily New Rochelle). I did see him about 10-15 years ago at a wedding. Don't know that this helps.

Since: Jul 09

Palmerton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2010

jim dandy wrote:
<quoted text> If you realy want to know...you will have to do some research...the library historian "may" be able to help! The old A.L/J.H.S., was scheduled for demolition,as was, the former Lincoln Elementry on Lincoln Ave.! Lincoln school was demolished 1960, and became "a city park" with ever changing names and uses!!! A.L./ J.H.S., was scheduled for demolition, the following year. It too, was to become, another "city" park. It was "spared" the fate of Lincoln School, the last minute of the last day of it's existance. Well worth looking into.
OK, I'll bite. What do the fates of these two schools over 50 years ago have to do with the armory?

Palmerton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2010

jim dandy wrote:
<quoted text> I know that place from the 1950's. I think it was owned by (Bronx, N.Y.C.) I think it was closed late 1950's, as it was a area of (crimes) drugs and perversions of selected individuals that frequented the area. The Bronx owners, ffilled the parking area, with bowling ball (size) bolders, to keep the visitors and criminals out (early 1960's) It may have stopped, some of the "lover's lane" aspects, but not the other purposes.
Not the same place. You could still enter this place well into the 70's, and there were no bowling ball size boulders that I ever saw. The place I am talking about was very close to the Pelham border.
Dennis Lane

Aurora, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2010

Hello to all of my old friends, classmates, teammates and Cordial's fans. I am sure enjoying hearing all of the comments and memories. I would love to keep these contacts going.

I lived in Florida for 26 years with my wife Kathy Butler and our three wonderful kids Paul, Mark and Andrea (Andi).

I have 4 grandkids - 2 in Fla and 2 here in the Denver area where we've lived for the past 17 years. It's great at a mile high!

I spent 27 years in TV. Now in the financial markets.

my best email address is:
dennis @lanecofinancial.com

Love to you all. Dennis
Death Of Jeff Sundermeyer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2010

Hi,
Jeff was my uncle and I was named after him, I would like to know more about him and see if anyone has any photos of him. My father is Bill Sundermeyer William Robert Sundermeyer, If anyone is trying to get in touch with Bill Sundermeyer please contact me at jeff@apolloconverting.com I will get you in touch with him. He would love to hear from you im sure. Im sure everyone also know James Sundermeyer and Eddy Sundermeyer as well. James has past away several years back. If anyone has info on the Sundermeyer family or photos please send them to me. My dad would love to have some.
Lost In The 50s wrote:
On the subject of the tragic early death of Jeff Sundermeyer, I was talking to an old buddy and he seemed to have a clear recollection that Jeff was in the back seat of the car ( before the seat belt era) and when the crash occurred.. Jeff was knocked forward and then backward and his neck was broken. The others somehow survived the crash. He also recalled that it did take place in New Rochelle and quite possibly on the Shore Road.
Lost In The 50s

Crossville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2010

Death Of Jeff Sundermeyer wrote:
Hi,
Jeff was my uncle and I was named after him, I would like to know more about him and see if anyone has any photos of him. My father is Bill Sundermeyer William Robert Sundermeyer, If anyone is trying to get in touch with Bill Sundermeyer please contact me at jeff@apolloconverting.com I will get you in touch with him. He would love to hear from you im sure. Im sure everyone also know James Sundermeyer and Eddy Sundermeyer as well. James has past away several years back. If anyone has info on the Sundermeyer family or photos please send them to me. My dad would love to have some.
<quoted text>
I went to Blessed Sacrament High School and was a year younger than your Uncle Jeff. I remember him as a very dedicated football player.. although he wasn't a very big guy.. he more than held his own. I recall that your Dad transferred into Blessed Sacrament and joined Jeff on the 1958 football team and that team had a great season.. including a tie against New Rochelle High.. a tremendous achievement for a small school like BSHS. The Blessed Sacrament senior class of 1959 had a 50th reunion last year and there is a website that you can google up by trying "Blessed Sacrament High School Class of 1959".. and I think you'll locate it. Included is the senior yearbook photo of your Uncle Jeff. Being a year younger than your Dad and Uncle.. I can't say that I was anything like a close friend.. but I do remember them both. There are classmates of theirs on that "59" website who would have been schoolmates of theirs for 12 years and snd some of them would surely have more perceptions and recollections
Whale 7

Moneta, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2010

Death Of Jeff Sundermeyer wrote:
Hi,
<quoted text>
In 1959+ the Sundermeyer family lived at 22 Keogh Lane in NR... I lived at 24 Keogh. I remember them all. I was 2 years younger than Billy. I remember playing touch football with them behind the apt. I remember that they had big parties on the weekends and the next day the cellar was loaded with the empty beer cases. The whole family was very friendly and down to earth. Billy was more outgoing than Jeff and very much the big brother. When I went off to college my dad sold my car to Billy..........it was a blue '55 Chrysler New Yorker. Sorry to hear about Jimmy ..... he was just a kid when I knew them. I remember talking to Jeff after the '59 NRHS/BS game about one particular reverse he ran right into Gene MacDonald playing defensive end (Gene later was a high school all american as a tail back on the NRHS '61 team)....it was a picture tackle, Jeff bounced up and patted MacDonald on the head. What did you say I asked him, he said "nice play".....that was Jeff all business when it came to sports. Please say high to Billy for me.
barney

Bellmore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2010

Bayview wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, I'll bite. What do the fates of these two schools over 50 years ago have to do with the armory?
You don't have to tear down these well constructed buildings. The Armory is built like a fortress and can be saved

Palmerton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2010

barney wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have to tear down these well constructed buildings. The Armory is built like a fortress and can be saved
Oh, I agree with you, Barney, but I am not so sure that is what Jim Dandy was trying to get to. The armory is a grand old building that only adds to the history and beauty of NR. It could be used (converted) for so many purposes.

Weren't they talking about building more condos where City Yard is/was? The armory is right next door.
barney

Bellmore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2010

Bayview wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I agree with you, Barney, but I am not so sure that is what Jim Dandy was trying to get to. The armory is a grand old building that only adds to the history and beauty of NR. It could be used (converted) for so many purposes.
Weren't they talking about building more condos where City Yard is/was? The armory is right next door.
Yes, and their plan is to tear down the Armory. The Veterans want to save it and find a way to restore it.

Palmerton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2010

barney wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and their plan is to tear down the Armory. The Veterans want to save it and find a way to restore it.
It is a crying shame if they rip that historic building down for a few more waterfront condos.
Restoration

New Hyde Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2010

Bayview wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr Dandy has mental issues.....he was ranting in here last year.
Joseph Lee

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2010

Bayview wrote:
There was also one across from my grandmother's deli at 425 Main Street where the Mall is now. It was next to the candy store, a few doors up from the Franklin Laundry. I remember my brothers used to call it Doc's, but I am not sure if that was the name. Carol would know since she lived next door.
Docs was on FRANKLIN AVE--2 or 3 doors down from Gundelach's. The candy store was next to the barber shop & franlin laundry. WOW ! What a memory. Do you remember Gary Gray?
Carol424

Hurleyville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

Joseph Lee wrote:
Marty Lalli's demo records were in several store juke boxes. 35 Flavors, Pizza Pete's,(across from Jerrys),Danny's of course, & a few others that I can't remember. He was 13 when he made that record.
I never knew that... I knew Marty and I frequented 35 Flavors.
Carol424

Hurleyville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

Dennis Lane wrote:
Hello to all of my old friends, classmates, teammates and Cordial's fans. I am sure enjoying hearing all of the comments and memories. I would love to keep these contacts going.
I lived in Florida for 26 years with my wife Kathy Butler and our three wonderful kids Paul, Mark and Andrea (Andi).
I have 4 grandkids - 2 in Fla and 2 here in the Denver area where we've lived for the past 17 years. It's great at a mile high!
I spent 27 years in TV. Now in the financial markets.
my best email address is:
dennis @lanecofinancial.com
Love to you all. Dennis
Hi Dennis glad you hooked up with this forum.. As you know a lot of NR people were wondering where all The Cordials were..
Carol424

Hurleyville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

Joseph Lee wrote:
<quoted text>
Docs was on FRANKLIN AVE--2 or 3 doors down from Gundelach's. The candy store was next to the barber shop & franlin laundry. WOW ! What a memory. Do you remember Gary Gray?
Hi Joe
Yes I remember Gary Gray and his sister Betsy... We lived in the same bldg. the Gray family in the apartment below ours...
I loved Mrs. Schram's candy store too bad there aren't more places like her's and Doc's...
Gary lives in Florida now. How do you know him?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 2,621 - 2,640 of3,310
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the New Rochelle Forum right now

Search the New Rochelle Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
where does toby mac live? (Oct '07) 1 hr baseskiz 49
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 2 hr positronium 6,185
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 2 hr positronium 6,287
dominican hair salon Fri Joanne 1
Review: D Genesis Corp Fri Joanne 2
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Fri YUP 16,736
NY Who do you support for Comptroller in New York ... (Oct '10) Thu Taxpayer 434
•••
•••

New Rochelle News Video

•••
•••

New Rochelle Jobs

•••
•••
•••

New Rochelle People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••