Desperate for help, needy post pleas online | The Columbus Disp...

The New Concord cattle farmer used to donate spare meat and homegrown vegetables to others, including a nearby group home for mentally disabled adults. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Just_Me

Allentown, PA

#1 Oct 31, 2009
Oh yeah, direct everyone to the local organizations for help because basically people cannot be trusted. Well I know tons of people who have turned to these so called "organizations" for help and cant receive any help because they are "over the limit" by say..fifty dollars or $100 for that matter.

If people pulled together and started helping each other instead of having this.."I worked for it, its all mine" attitude...I dont think we'd really have much of a need for these "ogranizations" cept for the ones who want to sit on welfare without putting forth any effort to better themselves or their lives and taking a handout..anything and all they can get which also frees up the money they have in the other hand to continue to fund their addictions such as smoking and whatever else.

I noticed that most everyone sitting in a welfare office today wanting a hand out smokes. I say...quit smoking! What an expensive habit! Then you'd have a good chunk of change to feed your babies, if you cared enough. but then again..thats a whole different story.
Slumberbia

United States

#2 Oct 31, 2009
"I noticed that most everyone sitting in a welfare office today wanting a hand out smokes..."

Well, I guess you also are unaware most everyone who smokes has anxiety and depression. No, I don't smoke. Maybe you should lobby for medicaid to provide more smoking cession instead of putting those applying through the wringer. I have a friend who has no insurance through no fault of her own, high blood pressure that puts her at stroke level. Medicaid is dragging it out (for a year now) apparently until she's dead or stroke's out and then CANNOT work again...

Don't knock all of those organizations. The people I know who work at FIRSTLINK are kind and caring, they do their best to get people the help they need, which is usually food. Or Just Me, do you consider that an addiction too. What do you give to those in need? I always try, because as the saying goes "For the grace of God there goes I"

I am stunned and appalled by your lack of compassion, especially in these tough economic times.
Native

Marion, OH

#3 Oct 31, 2009
People who smoke usually do so because it helps calm the nerves. I would rather see them smoking than on some of the drugs that are out there. Plus if they are buying smokes these days they are helping to pay for what help they do get.

A good reason to always check out the story of the person that you are helping is because of the scammers. This isn't something new people. The people who need help for reasons and the people who need help because they are lazy have been around forever.

Remember the story about the begger asking for alms?
Slumburbia

United States

#4 Oct 31, 2009
And Just Me...why were YOU sitting the "welfare office"?
Hilliard Resident

Hilliard, OH

#5 Oct 31, 2009
God Bless those in need! I help every way I can. Instead of passing out Trick or Treat candy I took my money and donated food to the local food pantry. Together we all can make a difference!
Public health plan

Columbus, OH

#6 Oct 31, 2009
The couple in Zanesville is suffering from lack of healthcare. I sure hope congress passes sometype of public plan for all the people in need. Most bankrupcies are cause by a costly health event or accident. It can happen to anyone without healthcare.
Cher

United States

#7 Oct 31, 2009
Have you ever seen a person getting govt aid and then driving away in their BMW? I have. I feel sorry for the hard working people that need a break. It is messed up when you know so many people are cheating to get welfare. Don't know what the answer is but I know the system is a serious failure.
Confused

Park Ridge, IL

#8 Oct 31, 2009
He put his kids through college and paid off his farm, so why didn't he purchase health insurance? It certainly is sad that he has had to turn to selling his possessions and begging for donations, but he made the decision to go without health insurance. I could make a donation, but I think I'll use the money to pay my premium this month so I'm not a burden to other people in the future.
Kyle

Bedford, NY

#9 Oct 31, 2009
I know how Wayne and the others feel. 4 yrs ago I had a 50,000 a year landscape business, paid all my stuff on time. I suffered a horrible stroke which in the process damaged my heart. I lost my health Ins. and my house. I have a 9 yr old daughter who I support and am trying to raise right. I didnt know where else to turn to but the Welfare Agency. And I will tell you it hurt my pride like hell to do that. I have worked hard all my life, does it make me entitled to it? NO.,but I sucked it up and went. I am NOT a scumbag or a loser or a lazy bum like some on here think people are , yes I know a few people that get Welfare and they are the laziest ones I have ever seen. I did what I had to do, is it anyones business but my own? Hell no its not, you don;t know my circumstances or any of the other peoples, I help when I can also, if I have a few cans left i give them to someone that needs them more. Karma comes around and when you give to others that comes around tenfold. If this country had not gotten to the point of it being such a ME society now, we would pull together and help each other. That day is coming and we will all have to depend on each other to make it thru these tough days. So all I can say is think before you speak and know what you are truly talking about first. Oh and I don;t smoke. Like one reader said some smoke because ti calms their nerves.Its sure better than doing other stuff. Help your fellow man, because sometime you might need that same man to help you.
Mike

Dayton, OH

#10 Oct 31, 2009
I wonder if Mr Mercier had tried to lease his equipment and farm out to someone? Several local farmers around here have grown too old to farm and are leasing there farms out to others and making a pretty penny on the deal. Just a thought if Mr Mercier was reading and it wasnt too late.
Mrs Smith

Huntsville, OH

#11 Oct 31, 2009
Of course I feel sorry for people who get in bad situations, but, 1: Why aren't the TWO COLLEGE EDUCATED children of the Merciers pitching in to help their parents? And 2: As a former smoker, I hate to preach because I know all the reasons why people smoke, but if someone smokes a carton of cigarettes a week, that would add up to at least $200 a month. That would buy a lot of groceries or possibly even a health insurance policy.
WolverineMarine in Cbus

Galloway, OH

#12 Oct 31, 2009
If you can point me in the direction of $200 a month health insurance for someone with a pre-existing condition, I will buy it and let congress know that you just solved the health care crisis! Obviously you have never actually bought medical insurance. Even when I was working for a medium-sized company (1200 employees) back in the late 1990's a single non-smoker in the lowest risk bracket cost us over $250 per month for basic medical with a high deductible. We had to keep cutting benefits to keep costs down to a reasonable level and even with the best possible group rate the cheapest was $250 per month.
Further, there is no way someone with Hepatitis C like Mr. Mercier is going to get individual coverage from a private insurance company without paying $500-$1000 per month.
Observer

Miami Beach, FL

#13 Oct 31, 2009
Oh yeah first link, their referrals come with a price, someone telling you how to live your life or you don't qualify because of income because you are 50 cents over etc. They refer to to agencies that don't answer the phone, of we lost your paper work please submit again, which by the time you are done with them you are in the hospital from then stressing you out just for the little bit of help they offer that doesnn't cover half of the problem.
anony

Galloway, OH

#14 Oct 31, 2009
Mrs Smith wrote:
Of course I feel sorry for people who get in bad situations, but, 1: Why aren't the TWO COLLEGE EDUCATED children of the Merciers pitching in to help their parents? And 2: As a former smoker, I hate to preach because I know all the reasons why people smoke, but if someone smokes a carton of cigarettes a week, that would add up to at least $200 a month. That would buy a lot of groceries or possibly even a health insurance policy.
$200/month does not purchase a health insurance policy. I was self-employed for 3 years and it took nearly $400 a month for me and two kids--with a $2500 deductible. Please do the math and the research before making such statements.$200 may purchase one or two weeks of groceries, depending upon the size of your family. Several kids can go through $200 in groceries within a short period, even when you are frugal.

As for college-educated kids: I have a college education as do my children. Having a college education does not guarantee you are going to have a six digit income high enough to support your family and your parents as well. Kids who do have college degrees these days graduate with student loan debt. As I've said before, do your research. Crawl out from under the rock in which you're living and take a hard look at the world around you.

I certainly hope that the Merciers find the assistance they need. Perhaps lease their farm or sell the land?
ReverendLovejoy

Columbus, OH

#15 Oct 31, 2009
Cher wrote:
Have you ever seen a person getting govt aid and then driving away in their BMW? I have. I feel sorry for the hard working people that need a break. It is messed up when you know so many people are cheating to get welfare. Don't know what the answer is but I know the system is a serious failure.
WELFARE MYTH # 587: Everyone on welfare is driving BMW's and buying lobster with food stamps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare_queen

What's REALLY SAD about this myth ??? Millions of people use this myth to rationalize NOT helping those who truly need help. The myth was used 20 yrs ago to get Regan elected and to this day people still go around repeating it as if it's real.

And let's say you really did see a woman leaving a welfare office in a BMW...

* How do you know that the BMW woman wasn't driving a friend's car ???
* How do you know she visited the public assistance office to obtain benefits FOR HERSELF ??? Thousands of people visit welfare offices on behalf of others (IE. enrolling sick family members in Medicaid; enrolling children of relatives in programs, etc. I once visited a welfare office to help my 80+ yr old neighbor enroll in some programs; glad I wasn't driving a BMW or else some presumptious Midwesterner would go around and tell 9,000 people that they saw ME "getting welfare and driving away in a Beamer.)

SERIOUSLY: In order to qualify for most forms of public assistance, you need to demonstrate that you're net worth is on the brink of ZERO. If you have a BMW as an asset (registered in your name to your address), chances are more than likely you will be rejected for public assistance.

I'm sure there are a handful of people out there driving BMW's and collecting benefits of some sort... But then WHO'S TO SAY that the BMW is actually theirs and not borrowed. And who's to say whether or not they have the BMW from when they used to earn and pay taxes on $80K/yr and then suddenly fell into a hole during the worst recession since the great depression?

ReverendLovejoy

Columbus, OH

#16 Oct 31, 2009
Mrs Smith wrote:
College degrees don't mean anything anymore. In many cases, they're what GED's were in the 70's for the first 2 decades after graduation and/or unless you go to graduate school.(and even in the 70's and 80's you could potentially earn more than most college grads if you worked in an auto plant or did some other lucrative blue collar job (all of which has been outsourced to Asia).

They didn't mention whether or not his kids studied Finance or French Literature, or whether they attended Williams College or Wilma's Beauty School so the college grad kids earnings are anyone's guess.

And yes... Nowadays when you graduate from college your student loans can EASILY top $50K-$100K, and if you're working anywhere in Ohio you're most likely underemployed and earning less than $50K/yr.(if you're earning more than that outside of Ohio, your cost of living is probably 2-3 times the cost of living in Ohio)

* A non-employer sponsored health insurance policy is going to cost most SINGLE Ohioans AT LEAST $400/mo. After age 40 the price goes up significantly, and after the MBA's at the HMO pour over your last 20 yrs of medical records you'll be lucky if you can find a policy for under $1000/mo.

Mrs Smith

Huntsville, OH

#17 Oct 31, 2009
In regard to the remarks about my post: Actually, my daughter, who is 25, has a health insurance policy from United Health Care for $150 a month. She does have a deductible. No, she does not have a pre-existing condition, and I wasn't referring to people with pre-existing conditions when I wrote my post, but rather in general that it is possible to find some kind of affordable health insurance. Sorry, I didn't cover every single possible health condition and age, etc. in my response. And the article referred to the Merciers as 'putting two children through college', so I assume they paid for the tuition and there would be no student loans. Why would the article represent that they put children through college if the kids got loans to do it?
Wondering

New Albany, OH

#18 Oct 31, 2009
I understand the need to go through "the system", however, the system is sometimes complicated slow and ineffective. If you apply for public assistance it can take over 30 days to even get an answer. Most people who have a true need don't have 30 days. The "system" requires that you have copies and proof of everything. People who are struglling to simply maintain their basic needs just are not going to be that organized. Keeping your documents categorized is simply not a important as trying to figure out how to feed your family or keep your home. Not every one is trying to "get over" so GET OVER IT and help those in need. You might find yourself in that position one day.
Is That So

Canal Winchester, OH

#19 Oct 31, 2009
Mrs Smith wrote:
I doubt that you hate to preach because your whole post is a sermon. The college educated children probably cannot afford to take care of or help their parents. Its also possible that the smoking is helping them deal with depression and anxiety. Wasn't it stated that Mr. Mercier suffers from Hep C? He is not going to get insurance coverage....PERIOD!! And, even if he was to find coverage, his premium would probably approach $1,000.00 a month. If he cannot afford his medication, how is he going to afford a premium that may be as much as his monthly medication?

I am consistently amazed by the narrow-mindedness and selfishness of so-called "American's". Too many are more than willing to step on someone rather than giving someone a hand up.
David

Parkersburg, WV

#20 Oct 31, 2009
Regarding Mrs. Smith's post...there is no indication in the article that the kids aren't assisting their parents. I think you are an idiot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Concord Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
preditors Nov 20 ryoung 1
Trick or treat times (Oct '06) Oct '14 Angela 13
John Wick has too Many Weapons and too Much Blo... Oct '14 Culture Auditor 1
Rikki Oct '14 Jeff 1
I'm looking for people that knew any info. on C... Oct '14 Shannon 1
Looking for Darlene Higgins Oct '14 Jay62 1
Church protests after pastor arrested at stripa Sep '14 greg 1
New Concord Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web