newntown

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

I moved in town sometime ago from up north. Noone in this town can seem to answer this question for me. So please help. What is creole? Never heard about it till I moved here.

Since: Oct 10

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Judged:

its a new race of people n natchitoches 2 get goverment money,2 boost job market.
Timothy

Orchard Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Judged:

People who protray to be WHITE!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Judged:

Creoles are blacks or mulattas that pretend to be white-ish. There is no real race known as Creole.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Judged:

FROM WIKI:

"While the sophisticated Créole society of New Orleans has historically received much attention, the Cane River area developed its own strong Créole culture. The Cane River Créole community in the northern part of the state, along the Red River and Cane River, is made up of multiracial descendants of French, Spanish, Africans, Native Americans, similar mixed Créole migrants from New Orleans, and various other ethnic groups who inhabited this region in the 18th and early 19th centuries. The community is centered around Isle Brevelle in lower Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana. There are many Créole communities within Natchitoches Parish, including Natchitoches, Cloutierville, Derry, Gorum, and Natchez. Many of their historic plantations still exist.[8] Some have been designated as National Historic Landmarks, and are noted within the Cane River National Heritage Area, as well as the Cane River Creole Historic Park. Some plantations are sites on the Louisiana African American Heritage Trail."

So, basically, they are mulatta mutts.
Artemis

Natchitoches, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

From National Geograpbic Explorer:

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/r...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Judged:

FROM TALK BACK NATCHITOCHES:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/scubas...

“Howdy Y'all”

Since: Mar 09

Natchitoches

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Judged:

Well newntown with all this help I'm sure you have realized by now that "creole" means different things to different people. Here is one of the better explanations I found. Welcome to Louisiana home of Creoles, Cajuns, coonasses, rednecks and the best cooking in the world!

http://abagond.wordpress.com/2008/03/15/creol...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Judged:

Creoles are a mixture of French and African slaves. The practice of the French to sleep with any race that they can get their hands on has created them. They have their own unique culture and believe that they are the perfect combination of races and are superior to both whites and blacks. They are a hybrid racial mixture and most of the slave owners in Natchitoches Parish were Creole. The practice of the French to claim their offspring, no matter the mother's race, led the offspring to inherit their property. They tend to marry within their own group.
The Jester

Natchitoches, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Judged:

My good buddy Liberty Rings is a Creole.
Justwondering

Campti, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Judged:

Creole is actually known as a culture to the rest of the world (outside of Louisiana). They speak creole in Haiti, yet most of the population there is of African descent. Creole is a mixture of cultures (African and French) and possibly races. Here in Natchitoches it is more a mixture of race. The older mulattos actually know more about "Creole" culture and language taught to them by their parents. But for the younger generation it is skin tone and hair texture. Most of them do not speak the language.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Judged:

The Jester wrote:
Ye gads. I have unknowingly described him to a tee.
Proud Creole Woman

Natchitoches, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

Creoles of Louisiana have been here long before Louisiana was part of the United States of America. This was a French colony, a Spanish colony, and back to the French again before Napoleon sold it to the "Americans." So to those of you who think "Creole" is a new term, please do some reading and research. Yes, there are various definitions of what "Creole" is but basically it is not a "race" of people. It is a "culture." Here in Natchitoches Parish Creoles are a blend of all those that those that have inhabited this land for centuries: the Native Americans, the French, Spanish, African, as well as Irish, German, Scottish, Chinese & more. There was no question as to what our identity was when ruled by the Europeans. It was only when our land became part of the United States that we had to choose between Black or White. Since we didn't fit into either, our ancestors closed themselves off and continued to be a close knit community where they continued speaking their French language and cooking their exquisitely seasoned foods, and worshiping their Catholic faith. They intermarried only into other Creole families. Only outside marriages were allowed to people from other Creole communites (there are many like us in other parts of Louisiana)-- a lot from New Orleans. Here in Isle Brevelle (Melrose), our Great-Great...Grandfather, Augustine Metoyer, built our own Church (St. Augustine Catholic Church) so that his children and descendants would have their own place of worship and not have to sit at the back of the Churches as was the rule in American churches. We have a STRONG sense of FAMILY. We all know each other and can trace our relation to someone in common from Cane River...no matter if you are in Chicago, California, Michigan, Minnesota, etc. When we meet another Creole, WE KNOW WHO WE ARE! We are hard-working, honest people and we know how to have a GOOD TIME! If you'd like to learn more, you can visit the Creole Center at Northwestern University or find them online.
polabo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

its a race of people that tend to hide their black heritage--wonder why?????
hehe

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

Silver Hair wrote:
Creoles are a mixture of French and African slaves. The practice of the French to sleep with any race that they can get their hands on has created them. They have their own unique culture and believe that they are the perfect combination of races and are superior to both whites and blacks. They are a hybrid racial mixture and most of the slave owners in Natchitoches Parish were Creole. The practice of the French to claim their offspring, no matter the mother's race, led the offspring to inherit their property. They tend to marry within their own group.
I dont think they are superior to anyone. When segregation was going on guess who they got grouped with?:)
TOMAHAWK

Many, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

The Jester wrote:
he's queer so does that make you and him booty buddy's?
Interesting

Natchitoches, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Proud Creole Woman wrote:
Creoles of Louisiana have been here long before Louisiana was part of the United States of America. This was a French colony, a Spanish colony, and back to the French again before Napoleon sold it to the "Americans." So to those of you who think "Creole" is a new term, please do some reading and research. Yes, there are various definitions of what "Creole" is but basically it is not a "race" of people. It is a "culture." Here in Natchitoches Parish Creoles are a blend of all those that those that have inhabited this land for centuries: the Native Americans, the French, Spanish, African, as well as Irish, German, Scottish, Chinese & more. There was no question as to what our identity was when ruled by the Europeans. It was only when our land became part of the United States that we had to choose between Black or White. Since we didn't fit into either, our ancestors closed themselves off and continued to be a close knit community where they continued speaking their French language and cooking their exquisitely seasoned foods, and worshiping their Catholic faith. They intermarried only into other Creole families. Only outside marriages were allowed to people from other Creole communites (there are many like us in other parts of Louisiana)-- a lot from New Orleans. Here in Isle Brevelle (Melrose), our Great-Great...Grandfather, Augustine Metoyer, built our own Church (St. Augustine Catholic Church) so that his children and descendants would have their own place of worship and not have to sit at the back of the Churches as was the rule in American churches. We have a STRONG sense of FAMILY. We all know each other and can trace our relation to someone in common from Cane River...no matter if you are in Chicago, California, Michigan, Minnesota, etc. When we meet another Creole, WE KNOW WHO WE ARE! We are hard-working, honest people and we know how to have a GOOD TIME! If you'd like to learn more, you can visit the Creole Center at Northwestern University or find them online.
It's good you know a lot of your heritage, most people do not. But I would like to interject that "Creoles" were never given a choice to choose between black and white. A drop of black made you black whether you wanted to be identified with that race or not. I have been confused for "Creole" more than once. But, I think I'll just be me, so I corrected the confused person. I speak better French than most Creoles, but I learned that in college. Creoles were also allowed to work in the "Big House" on the plantation because the Europeans thought they were better because they were not pure African, and that they were better looking because they didn not have the coarse hair of the field negro.
shrewd1

Powder Springs, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

I sure hope the Creole's on the River are reading this! I am of Creole lineage and grew up on the River.
Why I say I hope the folks on the River are reading this is so they will see what the whites, who they do as Timothy said "portray to be white" think of them.

Many of the Creole's in the Natchitoches area are truly confused and do wish to be white!
Hehe

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Interesting wrote:
<quoted text>
It's good you know a lot of your heritage, most people do not. But I would like to interject that "Creoles" were never given a choice to choose between black and white. A drop of black made you black whether you wanted to be identified with that race or not. I have been confused for "Creole" more than once. But, I think I'll just be me, so I corrected the confused person. I speak better French than most Creoles, but I learned that in college. Creoles were also allowed to work in the "Big House" on the plantation because the Europeans thought they were better because they were not pure African, and that they were better looking because they didn not have the coarse hair of the field negro.
How did the Creoles end up being created though. Master must have not been too turned off by this coarse hair and black skin or otherwise they would have never been created. You should read the book Queen by Alexander Hailey and that will depict what life was like for those who liked to passe blanc. Also guess what happened when they got caught doing it???

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Hehe wrote:
<quoted text>
How did the Creoles end up being created though. Master must have not been too turned off by this coarse hair and black skin or otherwise they would have never been created. You should read the book Queen by Alexander Hailey and that will depict what life was like for those who liked to passe blanc. Also guess what happened when they got caught doing it???
Not a problem with the French. Just look at any part of the world they controlled.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of59
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

24 Users are viewing the Natchitoches Forum right now

Search the Natchitoches Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
i hate black people (May '13) 4 min pearl 179
Anthony Parker (Smoke) and Rosalind LaCour 1 hr well well 7
drag queens 2 hr hardcore pawn 4
black Dequincy man rapes 94 year old 2 hr angel eyes 7
Obama sends Sleeping Bags to Ukraine as Russian... 2 hr getting tough 1
Who tends to horse by brookshires? 3 hr what goes around 10
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Louisiana... (Oct '10) 4 hr Dying wage 2,097
•••
•••
•••
•••

Natchitoches Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Natchitoches People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance