|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Judged:

People power
http://www.timesheraldonline.com/ci_20119423/...

Now that the Vallejo City Council has finally approved forming an Ad-Hoc Citizens Public Safety Committee, we can all sit back and let the games begin. Unfortunately the reasoning behind the forming of this committee is politically motivated. Anyone who follows Vallejo politics knows that the appointees of Councilmembers Gomes, Brown, McConnell and Sampayan already have their marching orders on how the outcome of this committee should be: To reduce and/or eliminate the retirement and health care benefits of the current, past and future police and firefighter employees.

Well I have news for them: Play all the games you want, but the facts are the pension benefits in place when they entered into employment are a vested right and are protected by state and federal contract law. Neither the employer (the City of Vallejo) nor the Legislature can unilaterally change these pension benefits. However, the union members may agree to a change in benefits for future employees or to change contributions during contract negotiations. Even if the city wants to change benefit levels and contribution rates for future hires, or eliminate pensions altogether for new employees, it has to be negotiated with the police and firefighter bargaining units (unions)-- a catch-22.

Taking into consideration that the city council just approved money for the city manager, Phil Batchelor, to pay for the services of outside hired guns to negotiate new contracts with the unions, I doubt there will be much enthusiasm on the part of the union members. As a matter of fact, I would imagine the unions will bring in their own hired guns. So much for the trust and respect Batchelor claims to be building between the managers and employees.

The motivation behind these antics is control of the city council. At this time, organizations that comprise a minority of the city's voting age population control the majority members of the council. How is this done? It's really not that complicated, in the political arena, it's well known that when the populace gets disgusted with the goings on in politics, they don't vote. Therefore, to accomplish this low voter turnout, just organize a special interest group/groups, identify something and or someone to vilify, and start negative campaigning. That's exactly what has happened the past few years in Vallejo. Well-organized, well-funded and politically astute groups such as Better Vallejo, Citizens for Vallejo Political Action Committee (PAC) and the Vallejo Independent Bulletin have been formed and have fine tuned negative campaigning to the point that it took only 10 percent -- and in some cases less than 10 percent -- of the voting age population to elect the four council members that comprise a majority voting block.

Let's not blame these organizations for the mess Vallejo is in. If you are of voting age and don't vote, it's your fault. If you want to take the political power back, register and vote. Get your friends and family members to do the same.

There is power in the people.

J.T. Miller
Vallejo
Vallejo Citizen

Menlo Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Judged:

That's right. We voted how we wanted J.T. This is what the citizens in Vallejo wanted. The unions are not friendly to us and haven't been for over 30+ yrs now and we need to let them know that this is not going to be tolerated any longer. We the people!!!!
Ya Daddy Now

Benicia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Judged:

Vallejo Citizen wrote:
That's right. We voted how we wanted J.T. This is what the citizens in Vallejo wanted. The unions are not friendly to us and haven't been for over 30+ yrs now and we need to let them know that this is not going to be tolerated any longer. We the people!!!!
The same people that pushed Davis well over Schivley by a thousand votes will recall Gomes and Brown. We, we, we, waaaaaah!
no dirtier rats

Benicia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Judged:

mcconnell is the only one of the four that does not reap the rewards of the public trough but they want to change it for everyone else. these are dirty rats in the world i grew up in, except for mcconnell of course.
dirty rats

Benicia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Judged:

mcconnell is the only one of the four that does not reap the rewards of the public trough.
Salty Dog

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Judged:

Interesting theory, JT, but since when have pensions become "rights"?

Let's see how far those rights go when there is no money for due consideration of the contact.

It won't be any Council that detemines that. Economic reality racing head long down the track and at break neck speed, will.
Griss the enraged -t-urd

Concord, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

San Jose City Council is taking pension reform to the ballot. Despite enraged employees

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi...

(t)urd enragement!
GEE

Los Altos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Judged:

Salty Dog wrote:
Interesting theory, JT, but since when have pensions become "rights"? Let's see how far those rights go when there is no money for due consideration of the contact. It won't be any Council that detemines that. Economic reality racing head long down the track and at break neck speed, will.
I know it will not be a popular opinion, and the "Judge It! Fairy" will be extra busy today, but it is reality!

How many contracts (RIGHTS?) have been broken for thousand of people in various industries? How many companies and corporations have closed their doors and left those retired, or close to it, with NOTHING? How many individuals who thought they had their ducks in a row by saving all their lives for that golden retirement and now will have to work until they no longer can?

Unless the belt of plenty does get cinched by a few notches for all who receive over generous benefits in retirement, we all will suffer. Especially the general public that has to pay those generous benefits, should they continue because it is perceived as a RIGHT by union membership. Yes, I do consider getting a six figure retirement + inclusive health benefits paid by the taxpayer as obscene.
What will be done when the poke is darn near empty? Will they come for my home or tax me until I can no longer afford it ....and have to leave altogether? If that is the ultimate goal, I believe we are well on our way!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Judged:

Brilliant J.T.

A lot more than 10% of Vallejo's voters are going to be voting in the about be launched Brown/Gomes recall.
Wrong Again

Vacaville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Judged:

since about two months ago when the CA supreme court and the court of appeals stated pensions are protected assests. bitch and moan all you want. your hippy group can't change it
Salty Dog wrote:
Let's see how far those rights go when there is no money for due consideration of the contact.
It won't be any Council that detemines that. Economic reality racing head long down the track and at break neck speed, will.
revisionist history

Lansing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Judged:

Wrong Again wrote:
since about two months ago when the CA supreme court and the court of appeals stated pensions are protected assests. bitch and moan all you want. your hippy group can't change it
<quoted text>
What JT seems to have forgotten is that a small PSU minority helped control Vallejo politics for over 20 years . The shift in politics is the best thing that has happened in a long time.
Cpr

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Judged:

Wrong Again wrote:
<quoted text>
At least you got the wrong again part right.
Salty Dog

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Judged:

Wrong Again wrote:
<quoted text>
So, the CA Supreme Court prints money, does it? Problem is you are dwelling in the past and believing everything is just all nice an protected like. Dream on, my friend. Reality is about to teach you a lesson.

Wrong again? I am never wrong in the fullness of time. lol
Wrong Again

Vacaville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Judged:

read the finding yourself, pensions are a protected asset and cannot be taken away. so those that retired with retiree medical get to keep it. that;s what the ca supreme court said. like it or not
Greedy Union Thug

Benicia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Judged:

Salty Dog wrote:
<quoted text>
So, the CA Supreme Court prints money, does it? Problem is you are dwelling in the past and believing everything is just all nice an protected like. Dream on, my friend. Reality is about to teach you a lesson.
Wrong again? I am never wrong in the fullness of time. lol
Here, read it, print it, roll it up and pack it in y ou rass. How's that for reality, corksoaker?
http://www.calpers.ca.gov/index.jsp...
anon

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Salty Dog wrote:
Since Nov. 21

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov/21/local...

November 21, 2011|By Maura Dolan, Los Angeles Times
Health benefits for government retirees may not be eliminated if state and local governments had clearly promised workers those benefits, the California Supreme Court ruled in an Orange County case Monday.

The unanimous ruling is expected to make it more difficult for state and local governments to shave costs by cutting health benefits to retirees if elected officials in previous years made it clear that those benefits would last a lifetime.
Salt This You Punk

Benicia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Looks like El Alieno got his ass kicked with facts, AGAIN.
Salty Dog

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Greedy Union Thug wrote:
<quoted text>Here, read it, print it, roll it up and pack it in y ou rass. How's that for reality, corksoaker?
http://www.calpers.ca.gov/index.jsp...
Not very nice,my greedy union thug.....I stand by what I said, irrespective of the CA Supreme Court Ruling.
Salty Dog

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

So who promised these so called lifetime health benefits in Vallejo, and to what degree? Names please.
Salty Dog

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Salt This You Punk wrote:
Looks like El Alieno got his ass kicked with facts, AGAIN.
Can you say Appeals Court? Didn't think so. This guaranteed health benefits for life is far from certain, even outside the reality of being broke.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of56
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Napa Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Napa People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance