Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 4,136)

Showing posts 82,701 - 82,720 of123,128
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
God, this is a muddy topic, but it's fascinating too.
The problem is in agreeing on a standard. I don't believe in souls therefore it is silly to me to say that an abortion causes any harm to the unborn. Until they have actually developed the ability to be feel and be aware then no harm can possibly be done to them since "they" don't yet exist as a person. But it is hard to pinpoint when that is. Probably impossible.
If you totally ignore the woman as a human being then your logic is good. And the logic of conservatives in general is good. But when you introduce the woman into the equation things become more complicated. You are weighing the rights of an established human being against a potential human being. Complex, muddy issue.
And when the potential mother is also a child I think the problem becomes far more urgent.
I default to the woman since she's here already. If she doesn't want to have a baby then it's her choice.
And to quote that weird guy form the movie "That's all I have to say about that."
Also well said.
It would seem to me that "life" would be when an infant is no longer connected to the mother's body and completely dependant upon it to sustain its own bodily functions.
Until that time, it is a part of HER BODY.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Judged:

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
You value your rationality so much.
Please explain to me why you are "of the view that human life has intrinsic value" and why we must not "devalue" human life.
What possible "intrinsic" value is there? We are only clever animals.
Are animals' lives intrinsically valuable also? As valuable as humans?
What would they say if they could speak? "Don't eat me for dinner?"
Since you always deal in evidence and facts, I must say that I am surprised at the statement "what those that can not speak Would say if they could."
Most likely they would say, "Leave me here. It's comfortable. Not like the world outside."
Because I am Human I consider Human Life to have intrinsic value, to have the view that it does not have such is the first step into rationalizing genocide, mass murder as justifiable...

Yes all life has Intrinsic value, from the single cell extremophile in a boiling acid bath to the Clover in the front yard to You and me.. The value we as a species give each of those varies.... But since I am Human I place more value on Human Life than I do a cow... Of course the cow would disagree....

As for the "Leave me here it's comfortable" I agree that Human Being would rather stay there being comfortable until space becomes an issue and it becomes uncomfortable and they decide to leave... I don't think that Human Being would say hey just kill me already...

My point has always been a matter of Logic.. I make my position based on only that... I am an atheist so there is no religious aspect to my view and it's really a simple view... Precedent has been set under the law that a fetus is a Human Being, a Homosapien.... That precedent is set when anyone is prosecuted for killing a fetus and convicted for Homicide (the killing of a Homosapien by another Homosapien)... Since under the law a fetus is a Human Being then to kill it is Homicide by definition and should require that it be Justified under the law... Some forms of homicide are justifiable, some are not... But I don't think the Homicidal should be the ones to make that call...

To allow the homicidal that think human life has no intrinsic value to do the determination of justification is a basis for rationalizing the extermination of masses of human beings... That mindset gave us eugenics, forced sterilizations, genocide and selective breeding programs in history....

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Judged:

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Also well said.
It would seem to me that "life" would be when an infant is no longer connected to the mother's body and completely dependant upon it to sustain its own bodily functions.
Until that time, it is a part of HER BODY.
With that view then every individual convicted of murder for the killing of a fetus should be released from jail or their convictions overturned and retried for assault with bodily injury. The same as if someone kick another and damaged a kidney which had to be removed.

Scott Peterson only committed one murder and should not have been tried for 2...
Yes and Amen

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Judged:

trusted wrote:
<quoted text> Yes being unforgivening does do more harm to the vicitm. And that is the Christian thing to do , but a whole lot easier said than done , when it is in your circle. Many do use this as a easy way to hurt others, by lying and saying they were raped. I do agree, just as some yell abuse. But when these things really happen then noone can ever imagine what pain the victim goes thru. Some people handle things that others could never handle. I guess that is when you want to say Dear Lord , I am strong enough , if u dont mind , make someone else stronger for a while....
Yes, and some don't feel the pain for many years!
At about 9, I was taught to french kiss by our babysitter...
It was many years later that I connected the dots!
It was the catalist for the ills my life...
Now we teach children to use condoms, and that perversion is ok...
The Lord will have to come soon to clean up this mess we made!
Amen!
Yes and Amen

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Forgot to add this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
That Ray is something else!
Thanks!
Is that about 15 years old?
Here's some more funny stuff!

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Are You Kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
So immature! Grow up!!
You're right, blow me.

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think anyone that walks into a voting booth should be allowed to vote without any form of identification to verify they are actually allowed to vote?
Do you think the 15 Million the are in the country Illegally should be allowed to vote... Do you think I should be allowed to vote for the guy down the road that is out of town and is not going to vote?
Was not to me, but my answer is NO, if you are not an american citizen you should not have the right to vote.
Yes and Amen

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Judged:

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not all crackheads.
Just a lot of people who feel so overwhelmingly guilty about their actions that they will believe ANYTHING that allows them to feel better.
Christianity offers an (imaginary) scapegoat who will take the (imaginary) punishment for you so you can (in a real sense) forgive yourself.
The trouble is that you haven't really forgiven yourself, you've only tried to shift the blame but still feel disgust for yourself.
Your self-loathing is constantly apparent in your posts.
Just because you believe some invisible superbeing has forgiven you, you know (in a tiny corner of your mind that you try to ignore) that you are still the same person...and you hate that.
You are angry that others won't join you in your "belief" because their belief would validate yours and make you feel better.
The "love" you profess is simply not there.
Honesty and professional counseling would serve you better than religious superstition.
You believe whatever you want...
I know the truth!
God is real!
BTW Christian drug, and alchohol programs have a HIGHER success rate... Why?
Because the teach what caused sin, And the redemption in Christ!
Now... you be sure to share your feelings with our Lord on 'your' judgement day...

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
God, this is a muddy topic, but it's fascinating too.
The problem is in agreeing on a standard. I don't believe in souls therefore it is silly to me to say that an abortion causes any harm to the unborn. Until they have actually developed the ability to be feel and be aware then no harm can possibly be done to them since "they" don't yet exist as a person. But it is hard to pinpoint when that is. Probably impossible.
If you totally ignore the woman as a human being then your logic is good. And the logic of conservatives in general is good. But when you introduce the woman into the equation things become more complicated. You are weighing the rights of an established human being against a potential human being. Complex, muddy issue.
And when the potential mother is also a child I think the problem becomes far more urgent.
I default to the woman since she's here already. If she doesn't want to have a baby then it's her choice.
And to quote that weird guy form the movie "That's all I have to say about that."
"God, this is a muddy topic, but it's fascinating too."

Yes it is, and mythology will not help.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>You believe whatever you want...
I know the truth!
God is real!
BTW Christian drug, and alchohol programs have a HIGHER success rate... Why?
Because the teach what caused sin, And the redemption in Christ!
Now... you be sure to share your feelings with our Lord on 'your' judgement day...
That is not a true statement, in fact AA is AGNOSTIC and has the highest success rate of all alcohol programs.
Again you lie and offer nothing but "I said so" to back up your bull
Yes and Amen

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Judged:

Troy wrote:
And where exactly do you want to stop when teaching mythology?
Do we also teach that Thor causes thunder?
The world is supported on the back of a giant tortoise?
Grandfather raven brought fire to humanity?
Seems to me if we teach mythology in schools then we have to teach them all not just the one you are into.
How about the greek myths... Get rid of it along with the myth of evilution!

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>The Lord will have to come soon to clean up this mess we made!
Next time you talk to god, tell god I can help with the clean up and any new construction, time and material, no deity discounts.
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>and that perversion is ok...

Only in the church.
Yes and Amen

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Judged:

havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> that was not to me, but please explain your views more clearly and define yourself to us.
"define yourself to us"?
Really? you don't know?
He's an "Anti-Christ"!
One of many!

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>How about the greek myths... Get rid of it along with the myth of evilution!
Like you were told, christians have no ideal what a theory is.
Yes and Amen

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So we are to have big government tying up the court system to determine who can have abortions? Just how long is the person to carry the fetus while the trial is going down? Seven months? Eight? I say let the mother decide.
"let the mother decide"... then She WILL be another
"M" word!
'Murderer'!
Yes and Amen

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
It is valid ONLY in the sense that, if you assume the same baseless and ignorant premise that the jackwagon who said it did, then the logical argument is "valid".
But it is deeply, deeply UNSOUND. It is wrong.
And it's stupid as all f**k, just most of the right wingers who would back the doofhead up.
The thing to do in this situation, if you have a shred of decency, is deny to defend such garbage and ridicule the people who keep cranking it out.
Is 'Yiago' code for dipstick?
If you work a week, and take your paycheck to the bank... they cash it... it is a 'valid/legitimate' check!
If you sit around all week, take your crayolos out, and Draw you a check, take it to the bank, and they call the cops on you...
It was an "Invalid/illigitimate " check!
I hope that cleared up the POINT for you!
Reading comprehension... very important!

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>"let the mother decide"... then She WILL be another
"M" word!
'Murderer'!
But when god kills children it is a sacred death, lol, jesus is the murderer, he controls heaven and earth, I would suggest a less violent deity, "SS" posted the link, good luck.
Yes and Amen

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
I mean, who thinks that stuff up??? And these are the wonderful citizens who constitute the Republican party right now, for the most part. Backwards, ill-educated, ignorant saps who believe in magic and don't give a rat's batootie about those who are less fortunate than themselves.
Wrong!

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that's what you say... It's what a lot of folks say... I am concerned with what those that can not speak Would say if they could... I'm of the view that human life has intrinsic value and if we do not set a date certain as for when Human Life begins and do not give that human life constitutional protection as was written, that Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness are Self Evident and Inalienable, then we have devalued all human life.
We might as well leave Homicide up to the Homicidal is not the value system I can support... Until we as a people set a date certain that a fetus becomes a Human Being under the law and continue to prosecute for Homicide those that kill a fetus then we a saying Let the Homicidal decide when to commit a homicide without having to Justify it under the law....
We do have a date, or guideline of when someone gets fourteenth amendment rights. It is when someone is born. The republican agenda is to put the date at moment of conception.
Yes and Amen

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Judged:

Spaceship earth wrote:
Voter Suppression Returns Voting rights and partisan practices
The recent wave of ID laws (and their cousins) bears a close resemblance to past episodes of voter suppression, particularly those of the late-nineteenth and early-twentieth centuries. The laws seem tailored less to guarantee the integrity of elections than to achieve a partisan purpose; the targeted constituencies—those directly affected by the laws—tend, once again, to be the poor, the less advantaged, or members of minority groups. It may not be a coincidence that the phrase “voter suppression”—like “vote suppression” in the 1880s—has become a prominent part of our political vocabulary during an era of large-scale immigration and in the wake of a dramatic extension of voting rights to African Americans.
http://harvardmagazine.com/2012/07/voter-supp...
Bull Puppy!
You present ID to get your meds at Wal-mart, beer, and smokes at 7/11... You can show it at the polls!
We just want to stop illegals, dead people, and pets from voting for Obama... as they did before!
Voter Fraud is bad no matter the party!
Just give us a warning... we'll get out pets to vote too!
(No... I take that back... two wrongs don't make a RIGHT!)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 82,701 - 82,720 of123,128
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Mount Vernon Forum right now

Search the Mount Vernon Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 5 min Brad 139,003
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 18 min Mississippi Man 81,250
shooting in livingston 5 hr huh? 1
Source Hov HR advice 6 hr i believe 55
debbie delaney at hardees 7 hr hello 3
rose hill guy 8 hr Liars 2
delbert mullins 8 hr hey yea 12
•••
•••
•••
•••

Mount Vernon Jobs

•••