Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,867

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#86342 Aug 25, 2012
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Many (in fact, probably most) humans think that THEIR own lives are "intrinsically" more valuable than other humans...which is the first step into rationalizing genocide, mass murder as justifiable..
<quoted text>
So human life is valuable because YOU are human? I would say you have a bias.
Sorry but this sounds a bit like Hitler saying that Aryan Germans have more value than Jews. Of course, the Jews disagreed...
<quoted text>
But you agree that it would likely say, "Don't make me be born."
Of course we are just making stuff up here. A fetus is not thinking about anything.
<quoted text>
I applaude your Logic regarding many things, especially religion.
You have a thoughtful mind and a wonderful eye with the camera.
<quoted text>
Now you are talking about the Law, not Logic.
But to call a woman who, for her own reasons, decides that she must terminate a pregnancy "the Homicidal" is unconscionable.
You have never been (and never will be) in the situation that she is in.
You will never have to make that decision.
<quoted text>
That's quite a leap....from a woman having the right to have an abortion to eugenics, forced sterilizations, genocide and selective breeding programs.
Women have terminated pregnancies for thousands of years. I'm fairly sure that fact was not what inspired the Hitlers of the world to remake it in their own image.
(Sorry to use the whold "Hitler" thing, but it was easiest and I am tired.)
And absolutely incorrect... You seem to group think... I don't... Human Beings are my only group and yes I am biased to the Human Side of the evolutionary equation.. And it was part of it because Hitler was acting on the long held views of others that allowed for one group to consider itself of more import, of more value... This came from doctors and scientist that felt some lives were not Human.. So it's actually not a far jump from Humanity sanctioning and condoning a pre birth human being as non human and the Next Step of considering mentally incompetent new born as less than human and with out concern allowing it to be killed, or the next step of considering a Group as less than Human and allowing them to be eradicated... While you may not see the connection at this time the precedent set of of letting the homicidal justify the homicide allows for the next generation to make that leap you do not take...

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#86343 Aug 25, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
And absolutely incorrect... You seem to group think... I don't... Human Beings are my only group and yes I am biased to the Human Side of the evolutionary equation.. And it was part of it because Hitler was acting on the long held views of others that allowed for one group to consider itself of more import, of more value... This came from doctors and scientist that felt some lives were not Human.. So it's actually not a far jump from Humanity sanctioning and condoning a pre birth human being as non human and the Next Step of considering mentally incompetent new born as less than human and with out concern allowing it to be killed, or the next step of considering a Group as less than Human and allowing them to be eradicated... While you may not see the connection at this time the precedent set of of letting the homicidal justify the homicide allows for the next generation to make that leap you do not take...
On the contrary, most modern, civilized societies take exceptional care of the disabled/handicapped, both mentally and physically. Third-world countries,(as you say) not so much...

There is always the danger of another "purge" or "holocaust" but laying that responsibility on the right to terminate a pregnancy is too far a stretch. I understand what you are saying, but I just don't think it's reasonable.

We shall have to agree to disagree on this.
Thanks for the discussion.

By the way, I'm using one of your close-ups of stones as my computer screen background.
Could I ask what kind of camera you use? The detail is incredible.

“Christ is comin', so am I”

Since: Nov 11

Baltimore, Maryland

#86344 Aug 25, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>No, there is not even a thoery, nothing to back it up but a book, o my, I forgot there is faith.
Wings of a Dove wrote:
<quoted text>What is this THOERY ou keep talking about? Is it a cousin to a theory? Bad spelling can make a smart person look dumb.
Wings of a Dove wrote:
<quoted text>Just be sure te teachers tell them that mythology is just that ...a myth!
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>"te teachers" Grammar errors can also make stupid people look like dumbasses.
@Wings of a Dove--- You missed the "y" in "you" after you spelled theory in uppercase letters to point out another person's spelling error! The second quote you made has a spelling error as well. Were you trying to say "the teachers"? You said in another post that you spilled coke on your keyboard and that your "H" key was stuck. These arguments are petty and off-topic. The only thing that I find useful is that it proves that we need to spend more money on the fundamental classes and programs in the educational system in the state of Kentucky.

Dear Kentucky Politicians,
During my time on Topix debating the fact that Kentucky does not need to spend tax dollars on bible study electives, I spent more time reading and huffing at grammar and spelling errors as well as reading pages of argumentative posts about other people's grammar and spelling errors. Why are you wasting your time and our tax dollars trying to promote a bible study elective when it is obvious that we need to spend more money and focus on the basics? Math, science, literature, grammar, art, and technology classes need much improvement for Kentucky students to be on par with the rest of the United States. Please do not make it a law to have schools offer completely useless elective classes. I want my children to grow up with the best education possible provided by the tax dollars of every hard-working citizen in the state of Kentucky.

Sincerely,

thesmokemonster

London, KY

#86345 Aug 25, 2012
thesmokemonster wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
@Wings of a Dove--- You missed the "y" in "you" after you spelled theory in uppercase letters to point out another person's spelling error! The second quote you made has a spelling error as well. Were you trying to say "the teachers"? You said in another post that you spilled coke on your keyboard and that your "H" key was stuck. These arguments are petty and off-topic. The only thing that I find useful is that it proves that we need to spend more money on the fundamental classes and programs in the educational system in the state of Kentucky.
Dear Kentucky Politicians,
During my time on Topix debating the fact that Kentucky does not need to spend tax dollars on bible study electives, I spent more time reading and huffing at grammar and spelling errors as well as reading pages of argumentative posts about other people's grammar and spelling errors. Why are you wasting your time and our tax dollars trying to promote a bible study elective when it is obvious that we need to spend more money and focus on the basics? Math, science, literature, grammar, art, and technology classes need much improvement for Kentucky students to be on par with the rest of the United States. Please do not make it a law to have schools offer completely useless elective classes. I want my children to grow up with the best education possible provided by the tax dollars of every hard-working citizen in the state of Kentucky.
Sincerely,
thesmokemonster
Yup... Purdy Much....

Since: Feb 12

El Dorado Hills, CA

#86346 Aug 25, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it has to do with ID.. Without verifiable ID it would be impossible to determine if the person voting is the registered or a citizen...
I think you should be a citizen to vote in this country.

"Kentucky prepares a personalized absentee ballot application for every voter who wishes to vote absentee. Contact your County Clerk and ask them to mail you an absentee ballot application. Your spouse, parents or children can also request an application on your behalf."

http://www.longdistancevoter.org/forms

In California if you are registered county clerk automatically sends out a absentee ballot and you can mail in your vote.

What state will be accused of discouraging some voters to vote?

I think the republicans will commit fraud to win the election if they can, some want civil war, they want to please Jesus.

If it could be proven the democratic party committed fraud to win the election, should Republicans win by default? Would you support that?

Since: Feb 12

El Dorado Hills, CA

#86347 Aug 25, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Bull Puppy!
You present ID to get your meds at Wal-mart, beer, and smokes at 7/11... You can show it at the polls!
We just want to stop illegals, from voting for Obama... as they did before!
Voter Fraud is bad no matter the party!
Don't worry Obama will give them amnesty just like Ray-Gun and the Bushes. Just a small technicality. Brush up on your Spanish.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#86348 Aug 25, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
I agree with a lot of your points, and your criticisms, if they apply to the persons who are guilty of those views and behaviors, or of being apologists for the God or the believers who do harmful things in the name of religion. However, I think there is what I would jokingly call a "remnant" of Christians who are decent persons and not the true believer types you attack. I have no idea what the percentage is, and I would really like to see more polls about how many Christians believe in several specific doctrines. I did see one poll that fewer and fewer believe that only folks of their religion go to heaven, but I am not sure whether that meant their denomination or their Christian faith. I want to see a poll about how many Christians believe in a a hot eternal hell, how many believe that one goes there if one is not a believer in their faith, how many believe that there is a good God's plan and we should trust that everything will come out right in the end, how many believe that successful persons in terms of money and status are blessed by god and unsuccessful persons somehow deserved to fail, etc. Do you know of any place where there are polls and results about these questions? I wish someone would do such a poll. Then we would know whether your critical generalizations apply to a majority or a minority of so called Christians. <quoted text>
If every one would try to live by Matthew 25:32-45 the world would be a greater place. I have yet to meet ONE christian that TRIES to live by the words of their christ. Most are too busy looking down their nose at every one else. Poor people are never referred to as "good christians" only the well off, their god is material wealth

“There is no god”

War, WV

#86349 Aug 25, 2012
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Many (in fact, probably most) humans think that THEIR own lives are "intrinsically" more valuable than other humans...which is the first step into rationalizing genocide, mass murder as justifiable..
<quoted text>
So human life is valuable because YOU are human? I would say you have a bias.
Sorry but this sounds a bit like Hitler saying that Aryan Germans have more value than Jews. Of course, the Jews disagreed...
<quoted text>
But you agree that it would likely say, "Don't make me be born."
Of course we are just making stuff up here. A fetus is not thinking about anything.
<quoted text>
I applaude your Logic regarding many things, especially religion.
You have a thoughtful mind and a wonderful eye with the camera.
<quoted text>
Now you are talking about the Law, not Logic.
But to call a woman who, for her own reasons, decides that she must terminate a pregnancy "the Homicidal" is unconscionable.
You have never been (and never will be) in the situation that she is in.
You will never have to make that decision.
<quoted text>
That's quite a leap....from a woman having the right to have an abortion to eugenics, forced sterilizations, genocide and selective breeding programs.
Women have terminated pregnancies for thousands of years. I'm fairly sure that fact was not what inspired the Hitlers of the world to remake it in their own image.
(Sorry to use the whold "Hitler" thing, but it was easiest and I am tired.)
If a fetus dies before it can accept christ (blah blah blah) does it go to hell?

London, KY

#86350 Aug 25, 2012
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you should be a citizen to vote in this country.
"Kentucky prepares a personalized absentee ballot application for every voter who wishes to vote absentee. Contact your County Clerk and ask them to mail you an absentee ballot application. Your spouse, parents or children can also request an application on your behalf."
http://www.longdistancevoter.org/forms
In California if you are registered county clerk automatically sends out a absentee ballot and you can mail in your vote.
What state will be accused of discouraging some voters to vote?
I think the republicans will commit fraud to win the election if they can, some want civil war, they want to please Jesus.
If it could be proven the democratic party committed fraud to win the election, should Republicans win by default? Would you support that?
I would support that if Fraud is found on either side the fraudulent votes should be removed from the count, even if it is a year after the election and the winner be seated based on the recount after all the numbers are corrected... At that point any votes made by the seated candidate are nullified and any bills passed or not by the vote of a fraudulent seated candidate is nullified and would have to be resubmitted to the floor, If a bill would pass or fail even after a fraudulently seated member of the congress vote was nullified it should stand...

If the Fraud is not due to Voter Fraud and is due to actions of the Candidate then if there were more than One other party in the running the election should be recast.. If there were only One opposing candidate then they should be seated...

And Anyone committing a voter fraud action such as voting using a fake name or info, submitting fake names to the registry, Voter Intimidation, Voter disruption should be Prosecuted to the full extent of the law and not mediated by the Justice Department...

I actually Don't Care what party breaks the Law... But when Any Party breaks the Law or any Individual from any party, they should be prosecuted without exception... And a Jury trial should be the Only method of action , Never should a party in power be able to pick and choose such Election Crimes to prosecute...
Are You Kidding

Chicago, IL

#86351 Aug 25, 2012
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>If every one would try to live by Matthew 25:32-45 the world would be a greater place. I have yet to meet ONE christian that TRIES to live by the words of their christ. Most are too busy looking down their nose at every one else. Poor people are never referred to as "good christians" only the well off, their god is material wealth
"I have yet", "Most are", "are never", "only the well off". I just can't understand it. Were you kidnapped by a weird, so called "Christian" cult as a child and chained in the basement? You must have experienced something terrible to be this brainwashed.

The true Christians I know could care less how much money you have. They love one another and help one another with no thought of background or income levels. I am not speaking of one specific location in which I grew up in this type of environment and I am still surrounded by this one group of people. I am speaking of living in 8 cities and attending 8 churches over my lifetime and finding the same type of true Christians in each location. I am not saying everything was perfect all the time, but for the most part, the good far outweighed the bad.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#86352 Aug 26, 2012
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>If a fetus dies before it can accept christ (blah blah blah) does it go to hell?
Since we being fanciful, I would like to think that Yahweh recycles and sends those "souls" back into other fetuses. Waste not, you know.....

Hmmm... now that I think about it, yes, that would be what he would do.
Not having had time to learn the hymns, chants and praises, a fetus soul wouldn't be much use to Yahweh who is only interested in being worshipped forever (that being the sole *no pun intended* purpose of heaven).

What do you think? Does Yahweh burn their little "souls" for not having had time to learn what he likes?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#86353 Aug 26, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
You missed the point Mike... Yes he could be lying.. They, the girls, could be lying and yes the court is the last resort of recourse... The only point was that the term Legitimate Rape is a valid term.. maybe a politically incorrect term.. but valid none the less...
Echoes of "didn't build that". When Obama's statements are taken out of intent for purposes of partisan damnation it's all good. When Akin's statement is taken out of intent for purposes of partisan support it's all good.

“There is no god”

War, WV

#86354 Aug 26, 2012
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Since we being fanciful, I would like to think that Yahweh recycles and sends those "souls" back into other fetuses. Waste not, you know.....
Hmmm... now that I think about it, yes, that would be what he would do.
Not having had time to learn the hymns, chants and praises, a fetus soul wouldn't be much use to Yahweh who is only interested in being worshipped forever (that being the sole *no pun intended* purpose of heaven).
What do you think? Does Yahweh burn their little "souls" for not having had time to learn what he likes?
Well, yahweh did order a lot of baby and children killing so he likes them young.

“There is no god”

War, WV

#86355 Aug 26, 2012
Are You Kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
"I have yet", "Most are", "are never", "only the well off". I just can't understand it. Were you kidnapped by a weird, so called "Christian" cult as a child and chained in the basement? You must have experienced something terrible to be this brainwashed.
The true Christians I know could care less how much money you have. They love one another and help one another with no thought of background or income levels. I am not speaking of one specific location in which I grew up in this type of environment and I am still surrounded by this one group of people. I am speaking of living in 8 cities and attending 8 churches over my lifetime and finding the same type of true Christians in each location. I am not saying everything was perfect all the time, but for the most part, the good far outweighed the bad.
It is your BEHAVIOR that determines if you are a good person, not your beliefs. Are these good christians you speak of the same ones who protested blacks in public schools, condemned the unmarried woman for having a child, crossed the street to avoid the homeless person?
I could go on, but the point is that while they are nice to each other they close ranks to strangers and judge/condemn people. Here is the thing, I have encountered church people in many cities and they are all the same, every single one of them

“There is no god”

War, WV

#86356 Aug 26, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Echoes of "didn't build that". When Obama's statements are taken out of intent for purposes of partisan damnation it's all good. When Akin's statement is taken out of intent for purposes of partisan support it's all good.
I say that the term "legitimate rape" is not a valid term, but the term "legitimate accusation" is valid

“See how you are?”

Earth

#86357 Aug 26, 2012
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I say that the term "legitimate rape" is not a valid term, but the term "legitimate accusation" is valid
Your point is clear and who could disagree?
By another angle, who would legitimize rape? Oh, wait - I think you've mentioned the Old Testament.
On a similar note, how can one be arrested on the sole charge of "resisting arrest", especially "without violence"?

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#86358 Aug 26, 2012
Are You Kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a chance in hell!!!! Maybe when you grow up someone will.
Thank you, for your kind and mature post, Good Day.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#86359 Aug 26, 2012
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>It is your BEHAVIOR that determines if you are a good person, not your beliefs. Are these good christians you speak of the same ones who protested blacks in public schools, condemned the unmarried woman for having a child, crossed the street to avoid the homeless person?
I could go on, but the point is that while they are nice to each other they close ranks to strangers and judge/condemn people. Here is the thing, I have encountered church people in many cities and they are all the same, every single one of them
Yep.

“There is no god”

War, WV

#86360 Aug 26, 2012
If you are "a moral person" because of the threat of Hell than you are NOT a moral person, rather you are a coward that responds well to threats

“There is no god”

War, WV

#86361 Aug 26, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Your point is clear and who could disagree?
By another angle, who would legitimize rape? Oh, wait - I think you've mentioned the Old Testament.
On a similar note, how can one be arrested on the sole charge of "resisting arrest", especially "without violence"?
Good question, since no one WANTS to be arrested is not every arrest with non violent resistance?
There are so many untrue accusations of rape that some one whom is actually raped may not even report it for fear of being ridiculed. If on a jury where a woman killed her rapist I would hold for a not guilty verdict (I have a daughter)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Vernon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Casey Renner 23 hr jerome 1
Wat time does the mail run in mt Vernon? Wed Single mother sup... 6
Who drives a black volkswagon? Wed shanna 1
is there any PARADES, and santas in mt vernon? Wed waaa 1
police at SHOV Wed answer 1
Missing Jewelry Wed Hateatheif 2
Why is Brother Randy leaving Northside? Wed honestabe 13
Mount Vernon Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Mount Vernon People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Mount Vernon News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Mount Vernon

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:36 pm PST

NFL 2:36PM
Blake Bortles to start Thursday night for Jaguars
NBC Sports 3:20 PM
Could Tennessee be Jay Cutler's next destination?
NBC Sports 3:50 PM
Bengals heading back into withering spotlight - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 4:11 PM
Live: Titans vs. Jaguars
ESPN 4:21 PM
Jags don 'I Can't Breathe' shirts for warmups