Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 132,163

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#85766 Aug 17, 2012
trusted wrote:
Here is one for all today. Hope it is a great one ..
I am afraid of death, not because it will take away my life but after death I would not be able to know that you might not be there with me, for me to see , again. Please let's meet again someday? If not in this world for sure in the next.
I want to give you the most precious gift so I am wrapping my heart in my true emotions and sending it your way , so that your day may be filled with precious gifts as well
May love saved you from the brutality of this world and carry you do the glory of the next. Great Day ...
Anyway you slice it, your wish is selfish.
Every living thing dies. Deal with it.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

#85767 Aug 17, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Is that like saying...
If you seperate the sun, and pluto @ the speed of light...
Pluto would always be IN the light?
No, not even close
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#85768 Aug 17, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>By your logic, you can use any kind of manners you wish as long as the goal is to stop others from being mentally challenged?
Your logic is always flawed. I suggest it is due to your flawed religion. How can you get anything straight when you start from myth?
tht was to yaa. yaa insults people with the tard word. I object to all tard suffixes, no matter who uses them. I appreciate it that you dare to use the word manners on topix!
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#85769 Aug 17, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Just because you wish to not be separated does not make it possible.
Your poem shows why the afterlife was invented by mans imagination. We want, so we imagine. Just remember our imaginations are just our imaginations. They are not visions as the ancients believed and wrote bible stories as if fact.
The bible often describes dreams as a vision. We know better now, or at least we should.
If someone told you about their dream last night and claimed it was a vision, would you not laugh at him?
This is why we laugh at those who believe the ancients dreams were visions.
You explain things to people. You try to make them face some harsh (likely-to-be) truths. In another comment you ended Deal with it, and I do not like that phrase. It implies that you have had the last word and that your word is law and truth. It usually comes from people who are consistently arrogant, and you are certainly not that way!

When I write to you or some of the other thoughtful theists I am interested in your background and what makes you take the tone you do toward people. Yours does not seem to be hostile, nor tough love either, but sort of impersonal and focused on what you believe to be true and false, not on putting someone down in a personal way, yet not really desperately trying to "sae" them from their delusions, either. sort of a teaching mode,I would call it.

I sometimes think that a few atheists came from backgrounds where they were indoctrinated and repressed and limited in what they could learn about as children, and who had to fight their way out - both intellectually and socially - maybe at some emotional cost of cutting or straining ties with friends and family. A few from those backgrounds seem very hostile toward all Christians and all of Christianity - and others seem to want to rescue people from their delusions (strangely like the true believers in Christianity want to save nonbelievers, only for this lifetime, and not for some hoped-for made-up eternal life in a hoped-for made-up heaven.)

That was why I explained to you that my background was free from religious indoctrination, and social pressure. I was not a part of my town's social life, and did not want to be. I had better things to interest me. It makes me feel privileged, and I do not understand from my own experience what it is like to be brainwashed and pressured and repressed by religion. I hardly recall reading the Bible except after I was older, out of curiosity, because I had read about the Jefferson Bible and I decided to take a red pen and mark out all the parts I did not like.
I quickly switched over to making little stars near the passages that were halfway decent instead, to save time, since so much of it was awful. I cannot imagine being submerged in all that stuff, and the preaching and teaching that does with it. I am interested in how the escapees escaped from it.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#85770 Aug 17, 2012
oops - left out the a in atheist above, obviously.

I do try to learn a bit about what convinced the somewhat more friendly and tolerant theists of their views. I know some who are working very hard to take all the bad stuff away from their religion and their version of God. Their good intent is obvious, though I disagree with the excuses they make in order to think that something is good about the God, when it clearly isn't. the free will excuse, especially.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#85771 Aug 17, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Lol, who's arrogant, sounds like you are, since you feel I am sooooo inferior(just like a christian would), I will include you in that highhanded bunch, good day aka blow me.
I feel you are inferior on grounds of your obscenity, and that is certainly not just like a christian would, if you consider yaa a christian. Am i allowed to object to his obscenity because he is a Christian, but not to object to yours because you are an atheist? Does opposing obscenity make one a Christian? Does using it make one an acceptable good atheist? I don't think so.

I did not mean to imply you are inferior merely to me, on those grounds, but that you are inferior to almost all the people I associate with in my town. It is typical of most people I know here in their ordinary lives not to go around being nasty, obscene, insulting, and falsely accusing. I do not think one should think it is ok to be that way on topix. Are you that way in your ordinary conversation, also? or does anonymity allow you to show a mean streak?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#85772 Aug 17, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Anyway you slice it, your wish is selfish.
Every living thing dies. Deal with it.
so how do you deal with it? my view is that death and suffering and pain during life are "clear and convincing", "beyond a reasonable doubt" and definately "preponderance of" evidence that there could not possibly be an allgood and allpowerful God, so I am a socalled hard atheist with regard to that definition of God. I am very angry that the world was made so badly, however it was made, and I will not be forced to approve of harsh realities. I will not make up consoling stories, either.

I cannot imagine why believer folks are so grateful to the God of the Bible or the Creator God of the Universe, and ask no questions and make no protests about bad things happening. I do not think it is merely fear.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#85773 Aug 17, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>This is why the bible should not be taught in schools. It can lead to criminal behavior like this. It makes one do bad because they are deluded to think it is good.
It should not be taught in public schools. I have mixed feelings about federal aid to poor children (under socalled Title one of the education bill passed during the lbj era, to help poor children in all schools - a bill that passed due to a religious-secular humanist coalition) attending Catholic or other religious schools, and about help in busing children to those schools. For safety's sake, I would not want them to walk long distances to school. But I am totally opposed to vouchers that subsidize attendance at private religious schools.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#85774 Aug 17, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Lol, hypocrite, now you are just here to attack people, wow, before you were not, what a joke.
Actually, I am here to converse with intelligent people, and to attack and repudiate nasty ones, and to joke with funny ones, and to try to educate teachable ones, and to calmly refute mistaken ones. I even manage to write different sorts of comments to the same person, depending on the tone and content of the comment that person wrote, that I am replying to. I had a cordial exchange with Yes and Amen once, on the issue of imposters, because we both disapprove of that.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#85775 Aug 17, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Lol, you can go back a couple of years on this thread and get caught up on my views, as for what I post it is what it is, replys to people that think everyone should be like them, kinda like you do.
I do not think people should be obscene and nasty. That is a standard of civility many people agree with.
Known fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#85776 Aug 17, 2012
Why Evolution Attracts People
The Bible reveals how such teachings as evolution become popular. It says:“There will be a period of time when they will not put up with the healthful teaching, but, in accord with their own desires, they will accumulate teachers for themselves to have their ears tickled; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, whereas they will be turned aside to false stories.”(2 Timothy 4:3, 4) Although evolution is usually presented in scientific language, it is really a religious doctrine. It teaches a philosophy of life and an attitude toward God. Its beliefs are subtly attractive to mankind’s selfish, independent tendencies. Many who believe in evolution say that they also believe in God. However, they feel free to think of God as one who has not created things, does not intervene in man’s affairs, and will not judge people. It is a creed that tickles people’s ears.
Teachers of evolution are often motivated, not by the facts, but by “their own desires”—perhaps a desire to be accepted by a scientific community in which evolution is orthodox doctrine. Professor of biochemistry Michael Behe, who has spent most of his life studying the complex internal functions of living cells, explained that those who teach the evolution of cell structure have no basis for their claims. Could evolution occur at this tiny, molecular level?“Molecular evolution is not based on scientific authority,” he wrote.“There is no publication in the scientific literature—in prestigious journals, specialty journals, or books—that describes how molecular evolution of any real, complex, biochemical system either did occur or even might have occurred.... The assertion of Darwinian molecular evolution is merely bluster.”

“Molecular evolution is not based on scientific authority”
If evolutionists lack explanations, why do they preach their ideas so loudly? Behe explains:“Many people, including many important and well-respected scientists, just don’t want there to be anything beyond nature.”
The doctrine of evolution attracts many clergymen who want to appear wise. They are similar to those described in the apostle Paul’s letter to Christians in Rome. Paul wrote:“What may be known about God is manifest among them ... His invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable; because, although they knew God, they did not glorify him as God nor did they thank him, but they became empty-headed in their reasonings and their unintelligent heart became darkened. Although asserting they were wise, they became foolish.”(Romans 1:19-22) How can you avoid being deceived by false teachers?
Marquis

Hazard, KY

#85777 Aug 17, 2012
Simply put; Public Schools is NO place for religion. You want your child to go to a religious school, then put them in one of the many private schools in the county!
Known fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#85778 Aug 17, 2012
Jesus always spoke the truth whether it was popular or not. He thus provided an example that we should follow if we want to please God. 1 Peter 2:21

Since: Feb 12

El Dorado Hills, CA

#85779 Aug 17, 2012
Known fact wrote:
Jesus always spoke the truth whether it was popular or not. He thus provided an example that we should follow if we want to please God. 1 Peter 2:21
Atheists feel they speak the truth and so does YAA and trusted. Does that please God?

Then why does the bible say this?

Proverbs 14:12

"There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death."

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#85780 Aug 17, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Wouldn't the small difference mean the estimate of the age of the universe would be negligible?
I don't think so as I would think the variance is actually massive... We are just so small in scale (time wise) that a variance of .00000001% over several generations becomes a Massive variance over the time span of even a planetary system... From our stand point such a variance would be considered a constant because any change within many generations would be within error rates of any measure we could possibly use... And remember if (again Big Freakin IF) I'm am correct the whole of the Universe acts as a Medium with local high density regions and less dense regions ... The value of c might be 300kph here within our dense galaxy and much fast between us and even the next closest galaxy then slower within the dense regions of that galaxy... So we may be off on distance to the next galaxy by a large amount yet never actually be able to know since we assume the value of c is constant... This view could make the Universe much older than we estimate today, as much as twice as old in the 25 to 35 Billion year range ....

Since: Feb 12

El Dorado Hills, CA

#85781 Aug 17, 2012
Do any christians or anyone watch these shows on TV?

They are very popular. Just wondering if anyone believes in Ghosts.

Paranormal State

Ghost Hunters

Dead Files

Ghost Adventure

Celebrity Ghost Stories

My Ghost Story

A Haunting

Paranormal Fact or Fiction

Ghostly Encounters

Psychic Kids
trusted

Morgantown, KY

#85782 Aug 17, 2012
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists feel they speak the truth and so does YAA and trusted. Does that please God?
Then why does the bible say this?
Proverbs 14:12
"There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death."
I know not for sure what is true, I only chose to think for myself it is. I dont force it on anyone. I do think everything leads to death , so I feel as though this is something none of us can avoid. It is not the dying that matters it is how we lived. Making the most of it while we have it , I guess. Who knows, for sure? Not me .. I wish happy times for all , does that make me wrong? Not just to live happy but to die happy as well. I know bad just as I am sure all you on here do. I sometimes question reasons as well, though. Just have to keep thinking there is a plan , coming togther , that I know nothing of yet. Nite..
Yes and Amen

Winchester, KY

#85783 Aug 17, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>By your logic, you can use any kind of manners you wish as long as the goal is to stop others from being mentally challenged?
Your logic is always flawed. I suggest it is due to your flawed religion. How can you get anything straight when you start from myth?
I am totally sorry!
I thought you were just being a Tard on purpose, now I see
it's not an act... you cannot help yourself!
The only flaw I had was thinking you could be helped!
I stand corrected!
Yes and Amen

Winchester, KY

#85784 Aug 17, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not even close
Sorry...
"total separation distance of matter with inertial mass on a universal scale",
I had to go back n read it again!
Anyways...
It would stand to reason that if mass seperated @ the speed of light, Pluto would still be in the sun's light, and might
explain some of the astonomical distances...
Or... God just made it happen that way :-)
I'm going with that one!
Yes and Amen

Winchester, KY

#85785 Aug 17, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> tht was to yaa. yaa insults people with the tard word. I object to all tard suffixes, no matter who uses them. I appreciate it that you dare to use the word manners on topix!
Hahahahaha!
Mike, Manners?
Hahahahaha!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Vernon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
deceased grads of Rockcastle High School (Sep '10) 45 min Just me 368
Jehovah's Witnesse's 1 hr Oh the Irony 25
S.W.A.T. team on Copper Creek (May '14) 8 hr south side raven 7
Little Caesars 9 hr little Ceasar 53
Subway 13 hr Truth 3
Most attractive 21 hr Thiughtful 2
Lindsay York 23 hr watching 3
Mount Vernon Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web