Joshua Powell, Superintendent and law breaking

Posted in the Mount Sterling Forum

First Prev
of 123
Next Last
same ol same ol

Nicholasville, KY

#1 Mar 26, 2012
Here is an article from less than two years ago about the illegal things Joshua Powell did while superintendent of Union County. He appears to be doing two of the same things here in Montgomery County. Article is below:

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2010/may/19/...

To quote from the article, the illegal things he did in Union County that also seem to be happening in Montgomery County are:

"In restructuring Union County Middle School, the gifted and talented program was eliminated. While teachers were directed to provide instruction to gifted and talented students, there was no council-approved modification that met the needs of those students' education plans."

And:

"Powell also recommended a policy that was approved by the school board that restricted those who would be considered eligible candidates for principal vacancies in the district.

The report found that board policy to circumvent the purposes of having a school council that is to have the final word on principal selection.

"A policy that states that no person can serve as a principal in the district unless he/she has the written recommendation of the superintendent effectively eliminates the authority of the councils in the district to choose the leader of its schools, as do the changes in policy made by this board," the report said."

If you have a complaint against Joshua Powell you can report it to the Kentucky Office of Education Accountability. They have a short form you can fill out to make your complaint. You can give your name or not, and if you do your name will remain confidential unless you say they otherwise.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/oea/DEFAULT.HTM
helps

Lexington, KY

#3 Mar 29, 2012
Thanks that helps. I've been wondering how to go about making a complaint to the state.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#4 Mar 29, 2012
same ol same ol wrote:
Here is an article from less than two years ago about the illegal things Joshua Powell did while superintendent of Union County. He appears to be doing two of the same things here in Montgomery County. Article is below:

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2010/may/19/...

To quote from the article, the illegal things he did in Union County that also seem to be happening in Montgomery County are:

"In restructuring Union County Middle School, the gifted and talented program was eliminated. While teachers were directed to provide instruction to gifted and talented students, there was no council-approved modification that met the needs of those students' education plans."

And:

"Powell also recommended a policy that was approved by the school board that restricted those who would be considered eligible candidates for principal vacancies in the district.

The report found that board policy to circumvent the purposes of having a school council that is to have the final word on principal selection.

"A policy that states that no person can serve as a principal in the district unless he/she has the written recommendation of the superintendent effectively eliminates the authority of the councils in the district to choose the leader of its schools, as do the changes in policy made by this board," the report said."

If you have a complaint against Joshua Powell you can report it to the Kentucky Office of Education Accountability. They have a short form you can fill out to make your complaint. You can give your name or not, and if you do your name will remain confidential unless you say they otherwise.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/oea/DEFAULT.HTM
So? Josh is challenging bad regulation is all this proves! This is another example of boldness and courage. Good for Josh. At the end, Josh will either be promoted or change paths. Complaints are expected. Regulators will conduct audits and report their findings. What you don't realize all of this "publicity" is only going to help Josh in the end.

I can see it now on WKYT:

"After sharp criticism and controversial changes, Montgomery County superintendent Joshua Powell transforms another failing district. Many of the Montgomery County parents advocated and fully supported Josh's initiatives. The school board says "we had a lot of unhappy folks during the transition but we had to stay the course. Staying the course was our only option for the kids. Some parents and staff put forth good challenges and helped us learn some things along the way. We thank them for that."

So, keep this up!
lose the lawbreaker

Lexington, KY

#5 Mar 29, 2012
MagicofReality wrote:
<quoted text>
So? Josh is challenging bad regulation is all this proves! This is another example of boldness and courage. Good for Josh. At the end, Josh will either be promoted or change paths.
So now breaking the law is showing "boldness and courage." When he gets caught all he does is bash those doing their jobs in making sure school districts do things properly. Of course HIM breaking the law couldn't be HIS fault!

For the students and staff here in Montgomery County, we can only hope he is not superintendent anymore very soon, by whatever means it happens. If it is by promotion because of all the @$$ he kisses in Frankfort, fine.
ColeW2

Sharpsburg, KY

#6 Mar 29, 2012
A lot of good people are leaving the district. These people will never come back. The is what is sad about this new administration.
Dot1067

Charlotte, NC

#7 Apr 4, 2012
HARPER VALLEY pta
pPowell walked right in now you need a new job
no good report from me
i am going to go to every Pta meeting until i get it right
Gook luck
Tom

Mount Sterling, KY

#8 Apr 5, 2012
It's sad to see what's going on at MC.
There's a lot of unhappy teachers.
Change is not always good.
golfer

AOL

#9 Apr 5, 2012
Tom wrote:
It's sad to see what's going on at MC.
There's a lot of unhappy teachers.
Change is not always good.
April showers bring May flowers..
more threats

Lexington, KY

#10 Apr 5, 2012
It has become known that since Tony Wise gave Dan Manley the truth regarding his "resignation", and Dan published it making the athletic director Gene Heffington look like a fool, that Joshua Powell now is implementing a gag order on anyone who "resigns." The threat is that if they say anything but that they resigned on their own they will not be paid for the rest of the length of their contract as they are required to be by law.

This is blackmain, and illegal. I encourage anyone who is in this situation, or knows someone in the district in this situation to let them know, that you can report it or any other complaints about Joshua Powell to the Kentucky Office of Education Accountability. They have a short form you can fill out to make your complaint. You can give your name or not, and if you do your name will remain confidential unless you say they otherwise.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/oea/DEFAULT.HTM
interesting

Lexington, KY

#11 Apr 5, 2012
Interesting about the gag order. I'm not surprised. I've also heard that all the 5th and 6th grade teachers will need to reapply for their jobs because of the switch of grade levels to the intermediate school, even if they are tenured on continuing contracts. This is also illegal.

Teachers in this position should look at these KY statutes:

http://lrc.ky.gov/KRS/161-00/810.PDF

http://lrc.ky.gov/KRS/161-00/800.PDF

All the statutes relating to teacher employment can be found here. They start at the .720 links if you scroll down.

http://lrc.ky.gov/KRS/161-00/CHAPTER.HTM

Teachers, make your complaints to the Kentucky Office of Education Accountability. And lawyer up and take the fat and greasy dictator down!
duh

Clay City, KY

#12 Apr 5, 2012
lose the lawbreaker wrote:
<quoted text>
So now breaking the law is showing "boldness and courage." When he gets caught all he does is bash those doing their jobs in making sure school districts do things properly. Of course HIM breaking the law couldn't be HIS fault!
For the students and staff here in Montgomery County, we can only hope he is not superintendent anymore very soon, by whatever means it happens. If it is by promotion because of all the @$$ he kisses in Frankfort, fine.
you have posted three times on this thread under 3 different names, get a life.
duh

Clay City, KY

#13 Apr 5, 2012
interesting wrote:
Interesting about the gag order. I'm not surprised. I've also heard that all the 5th and 6th grade teachers will need to reapply for their jobs because of the switch of grade levels to the intermediate school, even if they are tenured on continuing contracts. This is also illegal.
Teachers in this position should look at these KY statutes:
http://lrc.ky.gov/KRS/161-00/810.PDF
http://lrc.ky.gov/KRS/161-00/800.PDF
All the statutes relating to teacher employment can be found here. They start at the .720 links if you scroll down.
http://lrc.ky.gov/KRS/161-00/CHAPTER.HTM
Teachers, make your complaints to the Kentucky Office of Education Accountability. And lawyer up and take the fat and greasy dictator down!
and you posted twice under 2 different names, get a life
Betty

Bellevue, WA

#14 Apr 10, 2012
So is Josh Powell the reason Phil Rison is a fianlist for superintendent at Mercer?
Truth

Mount Sterling, KY

#15 Apr 10, 2012
Betty wrote:
So is Josh Powell the reason Phil Rison is a fianlist for superintendent at Mercer?
No Phil has been looking and applying all over for last few years
Kim

Berea, KY

#16 Apr 10, 2012
http://www.berea.edu/givetoberea/students/jos...

Are results not good enough? He has improved everything he's touched. It makes me laugh that he is considered to break the law because he took the rich white kids out of the "gifted" programs and put the kids (often minority kids, whether black or poor) who tested in high ranges into the programs. Step back from your biases and look at his results. He's brilliant. You're lucky to have him.
missing data

Lexington, KY

#17 Apr 10, 2012
Kim wrote:
http://www.berea.edu/givetober ea/students/joshua-powell.asp
Are results not good enough? He has improved everything he's touched. It makes me laugh that he is considered to break the law because he took the rich white kids out of the "gifted" programs and put the kids (often minority kids, whether black or poor) who tested in high ranges into the programs. Step back from your biases and look at his results. He's brilliant. You're lucky to have him.
It is funny how that mentions nothing about his "accomplishments" at Union County. Perhaps because they were minor.

https://applications.education.ky.gov/schoolr...

Look at the .pdf for 2010-11 for the district, his last year as superintendent of Union County. Notice how most of the scores are about average for the state. Remember, he only cares about "proficient" scores for the state test that relies almost exclusively on filling in the right buttle on the Scantron. He does not care about national standards of learning, just KY test scores. And he still only delivered average results after three years despite all the disruption he caused Union County.

Look particularly at pages 27 and 28. Notice how poorly the scores are for Union County in more widely accepted national measures of learning (ACT scores, NRT, and Readiness Assessment). Even for KY tests, notice how poorly the students did in the thing that will best determine college success and shows best the ability to think - the writing scores. Grades 5, 8, and 11 (the only grades tested) all were well below the state average for 2010-11 (pages 24-26).

He is not some genius at turning around schools. He loves to talk about data. Well, the data supports him as being an average superintendent, except in tiny Cloverport. He can't handle the big stage, his methods don't work well on the big stage. And on top of that he treats everyone poorly and ends up with new grads as teachers who are just happy to have jobs. In 2009-10 it was 11% new grads. In 2010-11 it was 8%. So in 2010-11 nearly 20% of Union County teachers were first or second year teachers. The state average is less than 1% per year. The best teachers usually have 5-15 years experience. No wonder UC didn't do that well. The teachers that knew what they were doing didn't want to put up with the work environment and left. But it is obvious he just wants bodies in the classroom that will be robots to his program.

In Montgomery County he is doing EXACTLY what he did in Union County. The results will be at best similar, and likely worse because people are catching onto him much sooner this time around.
nice

Lexington, KY

#18 Apr 11, 2012
Great post missing data. He makes all these changes and ruins all these lives, and still doesn't deliver anything but average results. What a fraud.
moving man

Mount Sterling, KY

#19 Apr 12, 2012
M.Powell seems to have his picks in the system that's bothering me ,to see how some rise ahead of others who have been loyal for years. Seems to be parcel to a young lady in the system ,quite interesting situation .Anyone else figure out who this young lady may be .
Done

Stanton, KY

#20 Apr 14, 2012
Montgomery County has always been a good school system. Good isn't good enough anymore, not in this day and time. Our kids deserve GREAT! If we want our kids to graduate with the ability to get into any college or university that they want to apply to, land jobs that are competitive in a global economy, and to be able to compete against students graduating from quality school systems, then changes must take place.

1. Good teachers teach. Great teachers inspire students to do things they never dreamed possible.
2. Good schools coast by and never require assistance from the state, so nothing is ever said. Great schools inspire and challenge students, and the test scores fall into place.
3. Good students come to school, do their classwork, do their homework, advance from grade to grade, and graduate. Great students become inspired and dare to dream. They aspire to do more than those who came before them.

I don't want Montgomery County to be good anymore. I want MoCo to be GREAT. Our kids deserve it! It's quite simple. Mr. Powell expects teachers to walk into their classroom every single day and inspire students to dream big. What's so wrong with that? Unfortunately, not everyone can "cut it." If you're not willing to change your vision, attempt new teaching strategies, and inspire kids to do more than they dreamed they could ever do, then it may be time for you to go. Our kids deserve the very best! No more, no less!! I believe Mr. Powell will make this happen. I'm counting on him to implement his vision for Montgomery Co. Our kids are counting on him. Our teachers are counting on him. He's a good man with a good heart. He believes in all students, not just a select few. Change is hard. It makes everyone uncomfortable. However, sometimes it's necessary. Teaching is more than just a job. If you're here because you need a job, then it's time to go. If you're here because you want to inspire kids and create leaders, then great, we NEED you! I'm disturbed by all the lies I read on here, all the rumors I hear floating around our community, and especially by the personal attacks that Mr. Powell, his family, and his team take on a daily basis. If mediocre satisfies you, then go somewhere else. Montgomery County is FINALLY headed in the right direction. We're looking for a few good men and women to get us to the top! Our kids deserve it!
Done

Stanton, KY

#22 Apr 14, 2012
I believe in the vision for MoCo. I could care less what he accomplished, or didn't in Union Co., or anywhere else. Those who are in fear for their jobs probably need to be in fear. Maybe they need to take a long, hard look at themselves and ask, "am I really doing an effective job with students?" If not, then fix the problem. I have personally talked with Josh Powell. He is not the man you describe. He has never been anything but straight-forward with his plans...improve student achievement. Great teachers have no reason to fear. Instead of slaughtering him on such a public level, why don't we just wait and see what happens? If our students don't show improvement, then fine, put him on the firing line then. I wish people in our community would give outsiders a chance. He isn't this "mad man" that people make him out to be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 123
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Sterling Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 7 min Yes and Amen 131,035
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 10 min Ari son of Anarchy 153,597
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 46 min Reality 5,032
Big Weiner. 7 hr Username 1
No Time for Grimes! 8 hr ivote 88
Brittany Cantrell 10 hr bc 1
Is O'Roarkes Closing 10 hr yesman 3
•••
•••
•••

Mount Sterling Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Mount Sterling People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Mount Sterling News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Mount Sterling
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••