Merchantville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2012

Judged:

I just don't understand how people think they can get away with this type of crime. They also nearly ran someone over in the parking lot. Imagine getting a criminal record over this.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/burling...
bill

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2012

Judged:

What a great way to start adulthood. With a rap sheet. Try explaining that to an employer.
Jerseyboy for life

Elkhart, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

Judged:

Must be a new tactic, like flash mobs!.I don't remembere seeing that one at the Black Expo!......Always evolving!!!!!much like our Sleeezy Preeezy Of The United Steeezy!..Hey!...

Since: Jan 08

Willingboro, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

Judged:

Without the incident in the parking lot this still makes the news because it contains the word Willingboro
The Man

Merchantville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

Sorry but running someone over in a car after a minor theft would make the news in most towns.
Just goes to show the lack of impulse control so many have.

Willingboro, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

The Man wrote:
Sorry but running someone over in a car after a minor theft would make the news in most towns.
Just goes to show the lack of impulse control so many have.
Also shows your lack of reading skills. Re read what I posted. I said without the running over of the server this still would have been news
The Man

Merchantville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

Judged:

Oh so sorry but I wasn't aware of your extreme powers to predict the future and outcome of events! WOW you now what the paper will print before the presses even start rolling! I would cancel all newspapers and magazines if I had such awsome powers! I you don't mind me asking just how old were you when these great powers came to be?

Since: Apr 12

Tuckerton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

The Man wrote:
Oh so sorry but I wasn't aware of your extreme powers to predict the future and outcome of events! WOW you now what the paper will print before the presses even start rolling! I would cancel all newspapers and magazines if I had such awsome powers! I you don't mind me asking just how old were you when these great powers came to be?
Relax, he's just saying that it feels like every single negative event that happens in Willingboro gets news coverage, no matter how petty, whereas some other towns have petty incidents just as often, but you'll never hear about it aside from in local gossip. The same goes for a lot of towns with different reputations. The news media reflects and perpetuates the kind of reputation the town has. I also heard once that some incidents get covered up quite well in towns with better reputations, when people have the means or money for it. Whereas details about the incidents reported in the news in towns with lowered reputations, may be flourished. actually

I've experienced the flourishing myself while reading about an incident at the high school on the last day of one school year. A lot of details were misheard and/or falsified. I always wondered what the source for that article was, as the news team didn't show up until the after the incident ended and most of us had gone home already. I remember seeing them interviewing some of the people in the houses around the school, as if they knew what was happening in that gym from across the street. XD And I couldn't help but notice that the kids they were approaching were the loud-mouth, exaggerating, over-dramatic types... Meh whatever, it's not like the article was COMPLETE bull... still it would have been nice if they'd have at least mentioned that the instigators of the incident had snuck into the building and were students from another school that had some kind of grudge with one of our students. And to call it a riot when it was just the usual stupid reaction of "oh, there's a fight? Let's go watch!:)" Oh well... that incident's LONG over. There are plenty of other incidents involving the high school that have found its way to the news media since then. T_T;
The Man

Merchantville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

So the press goes out of it's way to publish every little bad thing that happens in Willingboro?
But in towns with better reputations things get "covered up".
Why do you think that is?

Tuckerton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

The Man wrote:
So the press goes out of it's way to publish every little bad thing that happens in Willingboro?
But in towns with better reputations things get "covered up".
Why do you think that is?
They don't go out of their way to do it, it just feels like it sometimes. I wouldn't know since I don't talk much to anyone involved in the news. The VERY few people I have met who work with news papers gave off pretty bad vibes. The last time a local news paper stopped me to ask questions for a paper, while I kept friendly and polite and answered their questions, this song just kept playing in the back of my head XD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Really I didn't have a problem with the cameraman. The person asking the questions had really cold eyes though. Gave me chills...

Anyway, as far as incidents being "covered up" that's just local gossip. Rather the incidents were deemed to not be newsworthy for whatever reasons. Or something "juicier" happened somewhere and room had to be made for it. I tend not to believe most of the rumors about people being paid off to keep things all hush-hush and on the DL.
The Man

Merchantville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2012

Rumors and local gossip. Not much meat on them bones.
It is a sad part of life that for whatever reason many Black people buy into the whole conspiracy thing.

Tuckerton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2012

The Man wrote:
It is a sad part of life that for whatever reason many Black people buy into the whole conspiracy thing.
Really? I never noticed it to be a racially restrictive quality, though I notice women trust gossip far more than guys do. I tend to only really trust what I, or a friend that I trust, have seen or experienced. The rest I consider interesting, and you can bet there's some truth to SOME part of it, since that's how rumors start in the first place, but as things get passed around, the message changes. Thus local gossip is not the most reliable source for much of anything. Although some gossipers like to make it their business to verify every bit of info they pass out..:) I like those gossipers because they even give the gritty details of the events. It makes for a much more interesting story to hear. However, whether I really believe them or not never really occurred to me before, since what I hear from local gossipers usually have nothing to do with me anyway, which means that I stop caring within minutes of hearing the story. XD

Willingboro, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2012

The Man wrote:
I had no idea white people had no belief in conspiracies. Must be some genetic flaw in black people. Why don't u just take ur racist bs and get lost

Willingboro, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2012

Haruko57 wrote:
<quoted text>
Relax, he's just saying that it feels like every single negative event that happens in Willingboro gets news coverage, no matter how petty, whereas some other towns have petty incidents just as often, but you'll never hear about it aside from in local gossip. The same goes for a lot of towns with different reputations. The news media reflects and perpetuates the kind of reputation the town has. I also heard once that some incidents get covered up quite well in towns with better reputations, when people have the means or money for it. Whereas details about the incidents reported in the news in towns with lowered reputations, may be flourished. actually
I've experienced the flourishing myself while reading about an incident at the high school on the last day of one school year. A lot of details were misheard and/or falsified. I always wondered what the source for that article was, as the news team didn't show up until the after the incident ended and most of us had gone home already. I remember seeing them interviewing some of the people in the houses around the school, as if they knew what was happening in that gym from across the street. XD And I couldn't help but notice that the kids they were approaching were the loud-mouth, exaggerating, over-dramatic types... Meh whatever, it's not like the article was COMPLETE bull... still it would have been nice if they'd have at least mentioned that the instigators of the incident had snuck into the building and were students from another school that had some kind of grudge with one of our students. And to call it a riot when it was just the usual stupid reaction of "oh, there's a fight? Let's go watch!:)" Oh well... that incident's LONG over. There are plenty of other incidents involving the high school that have found its way to the news media since then. T_T;
Yes it's exactly what I'm saying. I remember the headline in the bct "Willingboro contaminated" the contamination was actually in Burlington and to my recollection it was very minor. The retraction was buried so deep it could have been a want add. By the looks of it there is no crime anywhere but Willingboro except when people from Willingboro do it. Of course not literally
The Man

Merchantville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2012

More conspiracies?

Willingboro, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

So you saying it didn't happen?

Willingboro, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Can't find the original article since it was so long ago but here's one from after tests were performed. The original headline "Willingboro contaminated" debuted prior to tests being completeted.

http://articles.philly.com/1996-07-12/news/25...
The Man

Merchantville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Funny I found the article in question on the first page after I googled "Willingboro contaminated"
The Headline does not say"Willingboro contaminated"
like your conspiracy driven fertile imagination recalls. It mearly says "N.J. may expand testing of soil in Willingboro"

http://articles.philly.com/1996-04-15/news/25...

Willingboro, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2012

Judged:

Jeez the headline of the bct said Willingboro contaminated. The online article is not the front page of the paper from 1996.

Headline of the paper is not always the same as the article it references. Ever read a paper?

Oh I see you don't know the difference between the headline of the paper and the title of an article. Well go google that

I love it how ur gonna tell me what I saw. Boggles the mind

Burlington, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2012

Here's something interesting, I ended up talking about this with my friend who's an rtf major. She was talking about the internship she's had with ABC news for the past few months and how she doesn't really like it there, so I thought I'd ask her opinion on this matter.

She said that with news articles and the like, it's pretty much all about ratings. People LOVE a good scandal, and when on the local level, people love to read up on the dirt in other towns.( People love inspirational triumphs of "underdogs" even more, so when something like, an athlete from an unknown small town with no record of winning... anything... wins a state championship, of course that hits the headline no problem. But we're focusing on when headlines are negative.) She sat in on a few meetings about what news to cover on headlines and such and they'd do stuff like, pick out the most embarrassing or horrific events that have been scooped in the last 24 hours and decide which would bring the most attention without causing them problems (like lawsuits, and complaints of the like.) She said sometimes the final decision between two stories would be simply because of where the events took place, or the classes of people involved. If the event concerned more well-off people, and would serve as quite the scandal, they'd heavily consider it, but since with most current and ongoing events there are details yet to be unveiled at the time it is aired or printed, if the end results work in favor of the scandalized person, they can sue for slander... which a more well-off person is more likely to do. They have to be 100% sure of the sources, and what they are saying. They still need to be pretty sure either way, but they tip-toe a bit more around richer people.

At least that's what my friend said she's witnessed during her internship. She said she doesn't care much for news media anyway, so she was likely just reading too much into the reasoning to justify how much she disliked interning there. XD Still, it was interesting to hear about it from her.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Mount Laurel News Video

•••
•••

Mount Laurel Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Mount Laurel People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE